IGNORED

Bates Family Part 10

Coconut Flan

• Replies 624
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm assuming Kaci is pronounced Casey (correct me if I'm wrong).   I wonder if she'll be Kaci or Kaci Lynn (like John David, Joy Anna, etc).  

Not my favorite but could be much worse (Spurgeon).  

5 hours ago, Jana814 said:

When I was younger I wished I had a lot of siblings. Now I'm glad I don't. I also wished I had a lot of first cousins and we were super close. I only have 2 (my mother was an only child) I still wish for that (I can't stand my first cousins). 

Sheesh, I have 3 sibs and always wanted to be an only child.  Still do, as a matter of fact.

I just don't understand this naming a child before they're born. Sure, have your favourite name picked out, but what if they come out and look nothing like a Kaci?

10 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

THIS!!!! Times a million! :pb_lol:

I first really started to pay attention to the Duggars after Jill got married. At first I thought they seemed like nice people who were kind of weird - but generally harmless. Wasn't until I saw how fast the Dills courted that I took a closer look and started to see how fucked up the beliefs are.

I think the same thing will eventually happen to the Bates family too if they aren't careful. Kelly and Gil are smart and good at marketing their family, but no one is perfect and "on" 24/7. They're bound to screw up at some point, just like the Duggars.

The issue is they really do seem much more likable than the Duggars ever did. Yeah, they had the "weirdos" angle via TLC for a season, but people have short attention spans and UP has done a fantastic job of rebranding them. They look nice, dress nice, and seem like nice enough people. It's easy enough to let them lull you into a false sense of security.

Personally, I like Whitney and Zach. Can't even explain why or excuse it away either - I know how messed up a family this is, but I'm drawn to those two because they do legitimately seem so incredibly happy and at peace spiritually. And that kind of happiness draws me in because I feel as if I'm missing that type of spiritual peace in my own life. It was the same draw the Duggars held formed at first too. I think you're completely right in saying that's part of their real draw and appeal for people - they appear to embody something missing from our own lives.

That’s how I feel about Chad and Erin.

Yes, I know they are an ATI royalty marriage and even though they have said they are not affiliated, I’m sure they still have some beliefs I really don’t like. But while I’m not a leg humper, I have a bit of a ‘soft spot’ for them. They come across as genuinely nice and humble people, loving parents and their relationship appears to be built upon genuine love and respect. Their lifestyle is not one I’d choose for myself, but they seem really happy so ‘to each their own’. But while I’m not even a Christian, let alone a fundie, you better believe I WANT A CHAD OF MY OWN.

Like you, I’m sort of drawn to them because they have something that is missing in my own life. I ‘want my Chad’. Not only is he pretty cute, but that guy clearly worships the ground Erin walks on and would walk through fire for her and Carson. I’m older than Erin and have never had a relationship where the guy has clearly loved me the way he does Erin. I’m not one of those women who thinks her life is incomplete without a man and I will wait for the right partner instead of “settling” for the next guy who comes along, but I’d really like to have a relationship like theirs. I think my ‘soft spot’ for them is for the same reason…..they embody something “missing” from my own life that I would like to have one day.

I think it really helps they are not sanctimoniously comparing abortion to the Holocaust on instagram the way Bin and Jessa are. If you looked at Cherin's instagram without knowing any better, you’d just think they are any other young, good looking, Christian couple from the south with a cute kid which is nothing out of the ordinary for people from small town Tennessee. They're smart enough to minimise the crazy on social media and portray themselves as "normal Christians".

I'm not totally stupid. I'm well aware I probably wouldn't like Cherin all that much if I sat down and had a conversation about politics and LGBT rights with them. But I'll never ever meet these people. I live thousands of miles away from them. So I just shallowly enjoy checking out their Instagram pics of their seemingly perfect life, the same way I like looking at the "perfect Instagram lives" or other "celebrities". 

32 minutes ago, ladyaudley said:

I just don't understand this naming a child before they're born. Sure, have your favourite name picked out, but what if they come out and look nothing like a Kaci?

Just for my understanding: how does a baby look like a Kaci? ;) Or any other name? Newborns change a lot the first few days/weeks

5 hours ago, 19 cats and counting said:

I'm assuming Kaci is pronounced Casey (correct me if I'm wrong).   I wonder if she'll be Kaci or Kaci Lynn (like John David, Joy Anna, etc).  

Not my favorite but could be much worse (Spurgeon).  

I never get these weird new spellings. If they're going to call their daughter Casey, why not spell it like that too? (I also especially dislike these kr8ive spellings when they end in -i. Looks so incomplete to me.)

Just for my understanding: how does a baby look like a Kaci? [emoji6] Or any other name? Newborns change a lot the first few days/weeks

Hard to explain, but it's a feel thing! A friend recently had a child and was going to call him Alexander, but we all agreed he was nothing like an Alexander (dunno how) and he's now Tom. One of my oldest friends was meant to be Felix, but was tiny when born and didn't look "lucky" to his parents, so he is now Robin. It's a thing! Back me up, fjers ^^

I don't like the spelling of Kaci but the name in itself is not too bad, nothing like Spurgeon which is just mental. I don't get the naming before the child is born either. My sister was set on a name for her youngest daughter but the second she saw her she said no, that is not her name, her name is Hanna and that was it. She was a perfect Hanna and still is now as a teen.

Kaci doesn't seem like a full name to me, I don't like it neither soundwise or visually, Casey would have been so much better, but preferably Katherine, Kathleen, Katharina, etc. as given name, plus they all sound good with Lynn (which is a really cute middlename, even if very country).  

Funny how we were just talking in the Fundie Names thread about how boys seem to get strong, masculine, distinguished-sounding names (Bradley, Josiah, James, Isaiah, Israel) and girls get cutesy, infantile, nickname-sounding names (Josie, Katie as a full name, Ellie, Allie, Callie). I'm thrilled that they're having a girl, but Kaci Lynn Bates is just far too cutesy for my taste; it also sounds really, really 80s to me for some reason.

Zach's aunty, Gil's sister-in-law is called Casey Bates. (I enjoy reading her blog.) I find it a bit weird when kids are given names of (living) family members, even if spelt differently.

3 hours ago, ladyaudley said:

Hard to explain, but it's a feel thing! A friend recently had a child and was going to call him Alexander, but we all agreed he was nothing like an Alexander (dunno how) and he's now Tom. One of my oldest friends was meant to be Felix, but was tiny when born and didn't look "lucky" to his parents, so he is now Robin. It's a thing! Back me up, fjers ^^

I had a response typed up to your earlier post before seeing this. Lol!

We've had our names picked out for a long time now. We are completely set on those names, so baby will have one or the other no matter what. 

I think the reason people think a baby "looks" like a name may be because they aren't entirely set on a name when the baby arrives.

1 hour ago, Miggy said:

Zach's aunty, Gil's sister-in-law is called Casey Bates. (I enjoy reading her blog.) I find it a bit weird when kids are given names of (living) family members, even if spelt differently.

Yeah, I am not too fond of it either. My brother is Simon and when he was a teen/early 20s our cousin named her son Simon. We all thought it was weird since it is not a family name and my brother is the only one in the family named Simon. They both have it as their first name and goes by Simon. I can even think it feels weird to name someone a name of a recently dead relative. My husband wants our son to have his dad's name which to me is fine as a second name but I feel that only 4 years after his death it is too soon for another with the same name. 

In the region I grew up the folklore said that if you had a child and lost it the child was not really lost if your next child was of the same sex and you named him/her the same name. In that case it was the same child that had come back. My great grandmother was Anna Maria and she was the second Anna Maria, the first one was born about 1,5 years before her and died at 3-4 months of age. 

I'm not usually a fan of alternative spellings to names, but I like Kaci for some reason.Kaci Lynn Bates is super Southern but cute. It's not Spurgeon levels of bad.

All of the young Bates couples just tug at my heartstrings. Zach & Whitney, Erin & Chad, Alyssa & John, Michael & Brandon... they all just seem to have so much love for each other. Gah. Michael & Brandon's wedding might have made me cry.

I haven't watched last night's episode yet, just read the recap. But did they really delay the police academy graduation because Zach was late? That's crazy right? I mean, how many people were in his graduating class? Anyone watch the ep and care to enlighten me? Also, what was up with Brandon's reaction to the redecorating?

Sorry so many questions. 

Lillie and Ellie's (leghumper) recap:

Soon after Michaela and Brandon return from their honeymoon, Kelly, Carlin, Josie, Callie, Judson, and Jeb travel to Chicago for a visit.

“When I first got to Michael’s apartment, it was a perfect little place, but it’s really, really small, which is fine; we started out small,” says Kelly. “But it was very crowded. They have a lot more stuff than they have places to put it, and it was too cute of a place to be cluttered.”

The gals immediately start reorganizing the living room. 

“What have you been doing since I’ve been gone?” says Brandon when he returns from work.

“It took like an hour to decide if he liked it,” says Carlin.

The next day, Michaela and her mom and siblings take the iconic architectural boat tour through downtown Chicago.

“What a neat place to visit!” says Kelly. “Emphasis on Visit,” adds Gil, chuckling.

After the tour, it’s time for Kelly and the kids to head home. “It’s always hard to say goodbye to any of the children, no matter what their age is,” says Kelly.

Back in Tennessee, Erin and Chad discuss ideas for restoring an old hutch. Woodworking and restoring dilapidated furniture are currently just hobbies that Chad pursues in his free time, but he hopes to start a business in the future.

“Restoring furniture, doing any project really, is a way to relax for him,” says Erin, as she and Carson watch Chad work. The finished product is incredible!

The Bates family gathers to celebrate Zach’s graduation from the Blount County Regional Training Academy. The ceremony is delayed when Zach shows up late.

One of the speakers at the graduation ceremony reminds the recruits that nothing is more important than their partner, both on the job and at home.

It is an emotional day for Whitney and the rest of the Bates clan. “I was a proud wife because not many guys put their life on the line for people they don’t even know,” says Whitney.

“We are all super proud of Zach,” says Nathan.

The Bates family members, especially Whitney, admit that they worry about Zach as he works as a enforcement officer. “It makes me pray for him a whole lot more often,” says Kelly.

“[Zach] has become the kind of man I think…everybody wants their son to grow up and be like,” says Gil.

5 hours ago, Paperplate said:

I never get these weird new spellings. If they're going to call their daughter Casey, why not spell it like that too? (I also especially dislike these kr8ive spellings when they end in -i. Looks so incomplete to me.)

I agree. It looks like someone was in the middle of writing someone's name and they just got tired and stopped. 

2 hours ago, Miggy said:

I have family members named after living family members.  My dad's first name is my late grandfather's first name (he recently passed, so it's not like he was not a part of my dad's life).  HOwever, he goes by his middle name (well a nickname of it).  I have a cousin who is named after both of her grandmothers (same name, but old-fashioned and definitely does not sound like a 16 yo's name) and she also goes by her middle name.

Sons are named after fathers all the time.  It's less likely that girls are (first) named after living family members because girls names go in and out of style.  

ETA my (hypothetical) son will be have the same name (first and middle) as my father, but I'd call him by his first name (for my grandfather).  

I used to have that attitude about 'khreatyve' spellings (actually, my attitude was totally obnoxious) until I got deeper into the history of names and realized that creative spellings have always existed. Now, yeah, personally, I tend to prefer traditional spellings. But I no longer feel the same scorn for 'creatively' spelled names (I mean, what's the point?) and I no longer believe that naming your kid Jaydynne or Bayleigh is setting them up for a lifetime of struggle and despair. Yes, I prefer traditionally spelled names, and yes, to be honest, I do feel that they're objectively better, but I've also come to believe that it's really not that big of a deal.

Here's a cool link where you can see how many different spellings of women's names existed during the Middle Ages: https://www.s-gabriel.org/names/talan/reaney/ Check out names like Katherine, Isabel, or Margaret - tons of variations. 

Here's the earliest data on name popularity in America: http://www.behindthename.com/top/lists/united-states/1880 People in the 1880s were happily naming their children 'misspelled' things like Lora, Mabelle, and Edythe, and giving their kids nicknames as full first names, like Charley, Willie, Hattie and Lizzie.

The older name popularity charts are a goldmine, by the way. Anyone who thinks weird names were invented in the 20th century is in for a rude awakening.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived