IGNORED

Bates Family Part 10

Coconut Flan

• Replies 624
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, vienna said:

As newlyweds who just started to have any (at least guilt free) sexual interaction??

I'm not saying it's likely, but you were saying you couldn't think of a way it would be possible at all ;) 

2 minutes ago, ladyaudley said:

Not have sex?

Not having sex and/or procreating isn't within their belief system either.

I find it interesting to pursue a degree, but to know you are not going to use it. With Erin she knew she could teach piano lessons. Doesn't Brandon have sisters who have professional careers?

Michael says in the article that she wishes they had baby news, but they don't. I think the clear implication is that they're not trying to prevent.

I was re-watching some of the older episodes of Bringing Up Bates:

Camera Guy: Do you boys think oral hygiene is important?
Young Bates Boy 1: Who's "Earl"?
Young Bates Boy 2: Ain't nobody wearing' high jeans around here. We all wear 'em low.

I laugh-cried because they're obviously cute but the SOTDRT is failing them so hard...

Couldn't they avoid sexual activities during fertile times, and still be following their beliefs. I want to say in the Bible there are verses which state the couple should refrain for a time to draw closer to the Lord. For those of you more familiar with ATI and IBLP teachings how are those verses addressed?

24 minutes ago, infooverload said:

I find it interesting to pursue a degree, but to know you are not going to use it. With Erin she knew she could teach piano lessons. Doesn't Brandon have sisters who have professional careers?

Why not learning for learning's sake? .We know that Michael wants to have children, and all evidence points to an intention to homeschool them.

Isn't that "using your degree?" And doesn't a bit more education help every time she babysits? (I hope she gets paid for babysitting, although its quite possible that she just babysitting Staddon & Waller spawn & not getting paid)

Yes, I'd rather have children attend school, but if this bunch of future citizens is going to be educated at the the dining room table, every extra bit of SECULAR education on the part of the instructor is a good thing.

So the big thing missing from the Knox News article is whether they are moving to Big Sandy. Last month's article in the Longview Tx newspaper (discussed on the Pecan & Priss thread) implied that everyoneat IBLP would be moved--or out of a job--by June.

42 minutes ago, ladyaudley said:

I'm not saying it's likely, but you were saying you couldn't think of a way it would be possible at all ;) 

Sorry if my answer came across to hard; I just ment it in a sarcastic/funny way/tone. But you might confuse me with the one asking the question how Michael and Brandon could  avoid Baby´s. That wasn´t me :)

I was just watching the honeymoon episode. Did I hear this correct? When Gil took the little girls out, one of the girls stated "I don´t want to become 20 because then I have to go to college"? English is not my mother toung (obviously), so did I hear this correct??

20 hours ago, punkiepie said:

Omg, I wonder if our moms are related?!  My mom said the exact same thing before I was born, circa the 80's.  She said that she would imagine the bailiff saying "All rise, Judge Lizzy Lastname presiding."  She thought it was important for a child, especially a girl, to have their given legal name be something that didn't make a woman in authority be taken less seriously because of a girl-like, "cutesy" or trendy name; it would need to stand the test of time. A nickname was fine, (I've been called by mine my whole life, but I don't use it professionally) you just couldn't have a nickname or an abbreviation of a name, be the actual name.

In some ways, I think it stinks that something like a name, which you didn't choose and is actually a reflection of the parent(s) not the person, is so important to how we are perceived or prejudged by others; especially for a woman.  I mean, a rose by any other name...  On the other hand, I'm honestly very happy my mom thought that way and gave me the name she did.  One of the smartest friends I have, a Ph.D. and college professor by the age of 26, was given a name that's frequently associated with night workers by her then,16yr old mom.  She's always telling me that people give her a double take or chuckle or assume she isn't intelligent because of her name.  It bothered her at first, but over time, she came to see her name as a triumph to her mother and to herself.  This 16yr old mom, disowned by her family for getting pregnant and left all alone when her boyfriend died one month before their baby was born, had raised a daughter who graduated from an Ivy League college- Summa Cum Laude, earned her doctorate at 24, and became a university professor at 26.  And now, you couldn't  pay her to change her name. But she would be the first person tell you that it's still a struggle for her to be taken seriously by the faculty and her students. Her kids also have traditionally, well-respected names.  

Regarding the question "how would this name sound as a Supreme Court justice" - I'm curious what people think of ethnic names, then.  I totally get why "Elizabeth" than "Lizzy" but what about Judge Mohammed or Krishna or Priyanka or Chang or Nechama or Chaim Lastname?

Re: Michael not expecting - she's only been married six months!  It's totally normal for them not to have conceived yet.

edit: oh, I didn't realize my posts had been merged - pardon the disjointed nature of those two paragraphs!

1 minute ago, meee said:

Regarding the question "how would this name sound as a Supreme Court justice" - I'm curious what people think of ethnic names, then.  I totally get why "Elizabeth" than "Lizzy" but what about Judge Mohammed or Krishna or Priyanka or Chang or Nechama or Chaim Lastname?

I'd be fine with it. Any of those names, to me, isn't like naming your kid Dweezil or giving a kid what's considered a "nickname" as a given name. Those are accepted names and shouldn't inspire ridicule or confusion, in my opinion.

Why not learning for learning's sake? .We know that Michael wants to have children, and all evidence points to an intention to homeschool them.

Isn't that "using your degree?" And doesn't a bit more education help every time she babysits? (I hope she gets paid for babysitting, although its quite possible that she just babysitting Staddon & Waller spawn & not getting paid)

Yes, I'd rather have children attend school, but if this bunch of future citizens is going to be educated at the the dining room table, every extra bit of SECULAR education on the part of the instructor is a good thing.

So the big thing missing from the Knox News article is whether they are moving to Big Sandy. Last month's article in the Longview Tx newspaper (discussed on the Pecan & Priss thread) implied that everyoneat IBLP would be moved--or out of a job--by June.

I could have worded this better. What I meant by not using the degree is not being able to pursue a career outside the home. Having more education is never a bad thing. As someone mentioned I hope she is getting paid for babysitting. She has tuition to pay. I wish the article would have indicated how close she is to finishing her degree

32 minutes ago, choralcrusader8613 said:

I'd be fine with it. Any of those names, to me, isn't like naming your kid Dweezil or giving a kid what's considered a "nickname" as a given name. Those are accepted names and shouldn't inspire ridicule or confusion, in my opinion.

ITA. Those fall under formal names to me, which nicknames or khriaytef names don't. 

8 hours ago, SassyPants said:

Actually, both Chad and Carson's official name is Charles- 

Why not just call them their real name... or name them Chad and Carson?

There really is no honor in naming the child X (obviously after relatives, in this case) and then calling them   something completely different.

When Erin wrote about the name they chose for Carson, it came across to me at the time that they believed they might not have another chance to name another son. Erin mentioned they wanted to use the traditional family name, but she also had always loved the name Carson for a boy. They were also calling him then (and now) their "miracle baby." Whatever decisions they made about family planning, I suspect Erin and Chad were not expecting another pregnancy to occur easily, if at all, due to her health issues. Hence the decision to not save Carson for another potential child.

1 hour ago, infooverload said:

I think they do.  Does anyone know if any of them are married?  

Why would a woman get a degree she won't use? Ever heard of an Mrs. degree?  Some young women go to college to find a husband, and some go to college to find a better type of husband than they would normally attract. That's why someone would get a degree they never intended to use. It seems like something from generations ago, but it still is a thing. 

I took college courses the first time around to gain a better career.  However, I take online courses now to better my mind, feed my curiosity and interest in things, and to keep my mind active.

37 minutes ago, MissBitters said:

Why not just call them their real name... or name them Chad and Carson?

There really is no honor in naming the child X (obviously after relatives, in this case) and then calling them   something completely different.

I don't know about other parts of the US, or other countries, but in the South, carrying on the family name is a big deal.  Using Sr., Jr. III, etc. is to not only carry on the last name, but to ensure that particular entire name is brought forth.  It's a ridiculous male pride thing, and that alone.  It doesn't really matter what the child is called, as long as the name is going to keep going.  

54 minutes ago, MissBitters said:

When Erin wrote about the name they chose for Carson, it came across to me at the time that they believed they might not have another chance to name another son. Erin mentioned they wanted to use the traditional family name, but she also had always loved the name Carson for a boy. They were also calling him then (and now) their "miracle baby." Whatever decisions they made about family planning, I suspect Erin and Chad were not expecting another pregnancy to occur easily, if at all, due to her health issues. Hence the decision to not save Carson for another potential child.

They may not have expected an easy pregnancy, but the idea that they weren't expecting a pregnancy astounds me.  Erin is hyper fertile.   She had Carson 18 months into marriage.  When you remember that she had two miscarriages before that, then take away the nine months she was pregnant with Carson...

3 pregnancies in 9 months

Erin has absolutely no problem getting pregnant.  She has problems staying pregnant.  Had she not had the clotting disorder, she could potentially outstrip her mother, with the clotting issue, every pregnancy will be high risk and she may be forced to stop before she otherwise would have.  Just because they show no sign of stopping now, doesn't mean they won't in the future, if Erin struggles with a high risk pregnancy and a baby or 3, or complications get worse, but there is absolutely no questioning the fact that that couple are super fertile.

11 hours ago, choralcrusader8613 said:

I would assume it's because Chad's dad is Charles, and his parents didn't want confusion or didn't want to call him Charlie or another diminutive of Charles (don't know of any other off the top of my head, though). Still weird, though.

Just for the record, Chad's father Charles Stephen Paine 11, is known as Steve.

4 minutes ago, Miggy said:

Just for the record, Chad's father Charles Stephen Paine 11, is known as Steve.

:huh: Yeah, that makes so much sense. I mean, at least that's related to his middle name.

Again, I don't see what's so weird, shocking, or disturbing about calling a child by a name that is not his or her legal first name. Maybe I'm just used to French Canadian Catholics who would usually give their kids at least 3 names and almost never call them by the first one. I also had two classmates in grade school who went by their middle names rather than their first names. I just don't get what the big deal is.

I was called by the first half of my hyphenated middle name (except at school) until I was about 10, then I decided I wanted to be known as my first name. It took a while for my family to get used to it, and I do recall bumping into an old family friend when I was in my twenties, and he automatically called me middle name, which was kind of weird after not being called that name for so long.  

I actually didn't like my middle names (individually they were ok, but not together) so I formally deleted them when I was about 40.  I'm just first name, last name now.  

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived