IGNORED

Jessa, Ben & Spurgeon Part 3

Boogalou

How much do you want to bet that Ben plans on using the show for "branding" to get some nice "exit opps" into televangelism or celebrity preaching Joel Osteen style. For him, this is like the equivalent of getting a Harvard MBA to get some nice "exit opportunities" into banking or hedge funds.

• Replies 642
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, luv2laugh said:

How much do you want to bet that Ben plans on using the show for "branding" to get some nice "exit opps" into televangelism or celebrity preaching Joel Osteen style. For him, this is like the equivalent of getting a Harvard MBA to get some nice "exit opportunities" into banking or hedge funds.

i say it now = not only branding for a ministry down the road - whether be the edgy christians he wants to minister to but the whole hoolpa of clothes and branding his caps

he will wear those tshirts and hats and get a cut - guarantee it 

it's probably in the contract 

we will have to have a drink every time he wears a cap that says L4C or something like that 

it's already starting on his FB 

On 2/20/2016 at 0:23 AM, LittleSpouseOnThePrairie said:

In terms of being secretive on the sex and naming, I think Ben & Jessa had hyped it up a bit much and then felt the pressure to deliver the goods. Poor lil Spurge was a victim of his parents' need for attention and their fundie brand of shock value.

this - they won't have a platform of being secretive anymore - we know they have sex - we saw it in the TH's last time - the passion was flowed and gone - the courtship is over  - they cut toenails in front of each other

the real funny thing will be Jessa calling Spurgeon his full name on tv and not cringing 

4 hours ago, nst said:

i say it now = not only branding for a ministry down the road - whether be the edgy christians he wants to minister to but the whole hoolpa of clothes and branding his caps

he will wear those tshirts and hats and get a cut - guarantee it 

it's probably in the contract 

we will have to have a drink every time he wears a cap that says L4C or something like that 

it's already starting on his FB 

I would be interested in watching the saga of Ben the Bro-Pastor if only for the cringe factor.

Can someone tell me if it is possible (and how easy it is) to change your first name in the US? Here in Germany the procedure is really difficult and complicated. I know from someone in Norway who changed their first name that is was totally easy over there. 

4 minutes ago, Gobbles said:

Can someone tell me if it is possible (and how easy it is) to change your first name in the US? Here in Germany the procedure is really difficult and complicated. I know from someone in Norway who changed their first name that is was totally easy over there. 

It varies by state in the US. They all have slightly different procedures. In the states I'm familiar with, it's not particularly difficult (you just have to prove your identity and that you're not trying to escape prosecution or debts,) but it costs money and can be difficult for some people to afford.

Changing your first name is costly I think. As in the case of the Bates' daughter Michael, they originally named her 'Michal' from the Bible, but decided they didn't like the story of that person in the Bible and didn't want their daughter to share that name. They wanted to change it, but were only permitted to add one letter without having to pay a hefty fee. Thus, they changed it to 'Michael.'

I was able to drop my much hated middle name from my legal name for free after I married. When I registered my name change with social security I made my maiden name my middle name and dumped my original middle name. I was just lucky that it was my middle name that was the terrible one.

7 hours ago, Gobbles said:

Easy

2 hours ago, Trynn said:

I live in Michigan and personally found it cost prohibitive.

In Michigan, it is $150 plus the cost of finger prints at the police station.

It can also vary by case.  Flipping your first and middle names because you have a first name like Spurgeon is easy/cheap in my State.  It is especially easy if you do it at a specific time, such as after a marriage, where there are provisions for a name change in place.  I know someone who did this: went by his middle name his entire adult life, and when he got married, simply had the order of names reversed.  

Completely changing your name is usually a bit harder and more expensive.  

3 hours ago, Screamapillar said:

Changing your first name is costly I think. As in the case of the Bates' daughter Michael, they originally named her 'Michal' from the Bible, but decided they didn't like the story of that person in the Bible and didn't want their daughter to share that name. They wanted to change it, but were only permitted to add one letter without having to pay a hefty fee. Thus, they changed it to 'Michael.'

I was able to drop my much hated middle name from my legal name for free after I married. When I registered my name change with social security I made my maiden name my middle name and dumped my original middle name. I was just lucky that it was my middle name that was the terrible one.

I know quite a few people that when they got married, they had their middle name become their first name and their maiden name their middle name. They didn't mentioned that was too cost prohibitive

1 hour ago, OldFadedStar said:

I know quite a few people that when they got married, they had their middle name become their first name and their maiden name their middle name. They didn't mentioned that was too cost prohibitive

It's very easy to change your name when you get married and I think it just costs whatever the cost of the marriage license is where you live. But if you don't change your name when you are getting married and decide to later, it is expensive and more difficult.

I don't know if this has already been discussed, But with Jessa mentioning wanting to adopt in the recent promos, I decided to look into if they are even eligible to adopt in the state of Arkansas, or even internationally. 

Jessa said they are "hoping to adopt, very soon." But they might run into a few issues with that. 

In the state of Arkansas, you have to be over the age of 21, which Ben will be in may. But you also need to be married for 2 years, which they will not be until november this year. International adoptions are even more strict, the ones I researched at least, and a lot of them want the parents to be over 25, and sometimes over 30. Also a lot of international adoptions want the parents to have been married for 5 years, but will overlook that. I don't know if these requirements are typical of all countries, and please correct me if you see i've said something wrong. 

Jessa sounded pretty confident, I wonder how they are looking to adopt, could a direct adoption bypass most of the rules here? I bet if they put a facebook post asking for their loyal fans to point downtrodden, unwed mothers in their directions, they could get some offers. 

Anyways, I hope I didn't get any informations totally wrong, i'm mostly going off wikipedia pages here, has anyone heard of couples adopting before being married for 2 years? 

1 hour ago, Jessalyn said:

I don't know if this has already been discussed, But with Jessa mentioning wanting to adopt in the recent promos, I decided to look into if they are even eligible to adopt in the state of Arkansas, or even internationally. 

Jessa said they are "hoping to adopt, very soon." But they might run into a few issues with that. 

In the state of Arkansas, you have to be over the age of 21, which Ben will be in may. But you also need to be married for 2 years, which they will not be until november this year. International adoptions are even more strict, the ones I researched at least, and a lot of them want the parents to be over 25, and sometimes over 30. Also a lot of international adoptions want the parents to have been married for 5 years, but will overlook that. I don't know if these requirements are typical of all countries, and please correct me if you see i've said something wrong. 

Jessa sounded pretty confident, I wonder how they are looking to adopt, could a direct adoption bypass most of the rules here? I bet if they put a facebook post asking for their loyal fans to point downtrodden, unwed mothers in their directions, they could get some offers. 

Anyways, I hope I didn't get any informations totally wrong, i'm mostly going off wikipedia pages here, has anyone heard of couples adopting before being married for 2 years? 

Couldn't imagine Jessa or Bin to be the kind of people that follow laws when doing things.

On the other hand though, they wouldn't want a "tainted" or "heathen" baby so I really couldn't see them adopting at all. Probably just talk like her parents.

1 hour ago, Jessalyn said:

They will be on a waiting list for MANY years if they want a newborn through the state agency or through international adoption.  (It can take less time if they go through an attorney who deals directly with a pregnant woman seeking to place a child for adoption.)  In addition, Jessa will have to stop getting pregnant.  For an older child, at the very least they will have to move to a bigger house. "Each bedroom should have at least 50 square feet of space per occupant ... Children of opposite sexes will have their own separate bedrooms."

Also, Ben has to be at least 21-years-old.  He is only 20.  When he reaches 21, he cannot adopt a child over 11 years old because there must be a 10-year age difference.

Jessa and Ben cannot adopt until they have been married at least two years. 

Also, they may have problems if they disclose an intention to homeschool.  Jessa does not have a high school diploma nor a GED.  Because of that, she does not qualify to be a homeschooling parent in Arkansas.

I think they should just adopt pets instead of children.  

There can't be an infant in the home at the time, either.

And Ben, a televangelist.  Not the way he mumbles. he better get over this romance he's having w/rap music, too. JB isn't going to want that kind of influence around his remaining kids & grandkids. Can you see a 5yo Spurge, be-bopping over to grandpa's wiggling his hips & spinning around, rhyming, his hat on backwards....nnnooo...That's not

gonna fly.

Do all of those laws apply for private domestic adoptions? Because IMO the only way any of them will ever adopt is if some pregnant fundie girl/leg humper wants to give her baby to a Duggar. They will never go through the waiting list domestic or international route IMO.

How much has Jessa/duggar family been involved in anti abortion campaigns? The picketers with signs like "don't abort, i'll adopt!" and the whole concept of "don't abort, adoption is an option" is so wildly over simplified. Even if you totally ignore the fact that adoption is an alternative to parenting, not an alternative to pregnancy, it is just so over simplified. The ultra conservatives always make adoption sound so simple and easy. Mom can't keep baby, so good christian couple can adopt it. Easy peasy, right?  Maybe jessa just has a super naive understanding of the complex, often expensive, and many layered process. I don't claim to know step one about adoption but even I know it's difficult, time consuming, can be heart breaking, and involves a lot of careful planning, decision making and a lot of waiting.  I think jessa is probably just totally unaware of how complex it is. She's just always heard her parents and maybe other family friends or church members talk about it so it seems like a good idea.

33 minutes ago, twinmama said:

Do all of those laws apply for private domestic adoptions? Because IMO the only way any of them will ever adopt is if some pregnant fundie girl/leg humper wants to give her baby to a Duggar. They will never go through the waiting list domestic or international route IMO.

No.  It's more relaxed in that kind of situation.  ETA  meaning domestic v. international.  I think in all instances you have to have a homestudy done and jump through state law hoops.

Even if fundie girl wants to give her baby to Jessa, she will still have to jump through the hoops if she wants a legal adoption. Background checks, federal and local, tax returns for the last few years, parenting classes, home study. If they get as far as getting a baby, there are home visits for the next 6 months, including pediatrician reports,etc, etc.It's not that simple, and it takes dedication and follow through. Ben has his 2 year degree, so home schooling would not be a problem. After the 6 months if the adoption is finalized, there's no more involvement with DCFS.

Of course, there's still the crazy fundie rehoming,  which would just give guardianship, no checks or balances there.

28 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Even if fundie girl wants to give her baby to Jessa, she will still have to jump through the hoops if she wants a legal adoption. Background checks, federal and local, tax returns for the last few years, parenting classes, home study. If they get as far as getting a baby, there are home visits for the next 6 months, including pediatrician reports,etc, etc.It's not that simple, and it takes dedication and follow through. Ben has his 2 year degree, so home schooling would not be a problem. After the 6 months if the adoption is finalized, there's no more involvement with DCFS.

Of course, there's still the crazy fundie rehoming,  which would just give guardianship, no checks or balances there.

But is all this still required for an independent adoption?

1 minute ago, Jessalyn said:

But is all this still required for an independent adoption?

Yes, I checked AR's adoption laws, and they're similar to my state. There may be some shady illegal ways to get a baby, but I only. worked within the. law, so I wouldn't know about them.

• Boogalou locked this topic

Archived