IGNORED

Jill Duggar Dillard Part 10: Taking Photos of Screaming Izzie

Coconut Flan

I suspect the Boys in question already speak English much better than either Jill or Derick speak Spanish.  And if these boys are so impoverished that they can't afford language lessons, it is quite likely they have more pressing needs than language lessons to speak English, especially when their Mom is apparently well versed in the language. 

It makes me sick and it shows just how out of touch Jill and Derick are.  Honestly, if they had wanted to solicit more donations they surely could have come up with a better  reason than this one.  Even just asking for money to pay for the boys to go to school, would have been more compelling.

• Replies 552
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, calimojo said:

I suspect the Boys in question already speak English much better than either Jill or Derick speak Spanish.  And if these boys are so impoverished that they can't afford language lessons, it is quite likely they have more pressing needs than language lessons to speak English, especially when their Mom is apparently well versed in the language. 

It makes me sick and it shows just how out of touch Jill and Derick are.  Honestly, if they had wanted to solicit more donations they surely could have come up with a better  reason than this one.  Even just asking for money to pay for the boys to go to school, would have been more compelling.

As we discussed before, it could be that the money is to send the kids to a private dual-language school where they improve their English by immersion and hanging around with American kids.  Since the Duggars believe in homeschooling, they may not want to reveal this is a regular school, not just "lessons."  

The whole thing looks suspicious though, and I am glad people are asking the Duggars why they don't give the money themselves.   

36 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Don't hurt yourself trying to apply real world logic to their grifting.  

I know next to nothing about missionarying for a living, but I know something about money.  And it costs quite a bit to support even a small family like theirs, especially away from home with all the extra expenses that entails.  So for it to make fiscal sense that their living expenses to be paid by others there would need to be a return on investment greater than that cost.

and I understand that return on investment for them could be souls won or Catholics pretending to convert, whatever, not necessarily money.  But that they benefit the mission in some way by being there that they could not by supporting same mission from Akansas.

Raising a small amount of cash for two specific individuals to attend classes seems like something one could fund raise for long distance simply by raising awareness.  Save the travel and living expenses and donate the difference.

i was under the impression missionaries took on bigger projects to help the areas they travel to get long term improvements.  Building schools, hospitals, digging wells...whatever.  if it's just to assist individuals fund raise for things they need, wouldn't they be able to do that more effectively from home?  No one in AR, or the US for that matter, in need of educational opportunities they can't afford?  

Not to mention the irony of a Duggar grifting for money for educational purposes.  SOTDRT good enough for them but others deserve better?  I'll agree with that.

Derick specifically said in one of his blog posts that they are there to SAVE SOULS, not help the locals with practical needs. Because hey, who needs running water or a roof over one's head if you don't have Jesus? :ENVOUTER:

eta: The kids who need "English language school" is all kinds of shady in mTy mind. The Dullards have the money; Jill made plenty when she got married, gave birth (sort of), and had three specials dedicated to her life. All this with absolutely NO overhead and a husband who actually WORKED (albeit spottily) for about 10 months. 

Just now, marmalade said:

Derick specifically said in one of his blog posts that they are there to SAVE SOULS, not help the locals with practical needs. Because hey, who needs running water or a roof over one's head if you don't have Jesus? :ENVOUTER:

Maybe someday Derek will wise up and realize everyone needs those things.

And if he really wants to win souls more showing and less telling when it comes to WWJD would work better.

*sigh* You know it, I know it, everyone here knows it. But Derick seems to be very single-minded in his purpose, and I think it will eventually be his downfall. Much easier to put on passion plays, paint fingernails, and pass out out candy than do REAL work that matters. 

I just wonder if there comes a point where missionaries who are focused on souls realize that the souls come with bodies.

Maslow's hierarchy of needs:

Physiological, Safety, Love/belonging, Esteem, Self Actualization

You have to start with the basics. Converting someone does not come before filling an empty belly.

8 minutes ago, marmalade said:

As if they've heard of Maslow. Or the Zika virus, for that matter. 

True. Silly. me.:happy-smileyflower:

They may not know about Maslow, but if they're biblical literalists as they claim, they should know their Bible, like this passage from James:

14 What good is it, my brothers, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can that faith save him? 15 If a brother or sister is poorly clothed and lacking in daily food, 16 and one of you says to them, “Go in peace, be warmed and filled,” without giving them the things needed for the body, what good is that? 17 So also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead.

Funny how Derick and Jill seem to have missed that with all the alleged soul-saving..

1 hour ago, marmalade said:

*sigh* You know it, I know it, everyone here knows it. But Derick seems to be very single-minded in his purpose, and I think it will eventually be his downfall. Much easier to put on passion plays, paint fingernails, and pass out out candy than do REAL work that matters. 

He has learned from the best at grifting without expending any energy (AKA working).

None of these folks are interested in actually working for anything.

My bet is that Derrick has probably taken a course that covered Marslow Law.  Just based on this degree audit http://spears.okstate.edu/accounting/files/DegreeRequirements2010-2011_202.pdf. This is assuming I went with the right audit. I based the 2010-2011 audit on that would be the year he gradurated not entering the program. But since this audit called for 6 credits in Behavioral science and I can't remember excatly what can be subbed ( use to work for them) as a course that wouldn't have taught Maslow

In the 60s book, The Gospel According to Peanuts by Robert Short, he shows a classic Peanut panel where  Linus and Charlie Brown see Snoopy is shivering in the snow.  They say "Snoopy sure looks cold doesn't he?" They don't do anything to make Snoopy warmer but Linus says "Be of good cheer, Snoopy" and Charlie Brown says, "Yes, be of good cheer!" Snoopy, of course is still shivering.  The cartoon perfectly illustrates the passage from James.

http://www.sermonsuite.com/c32204_proper_18_ordinary_time.html

I always liked Rich Mullins' song Screen Door for the lyrics about faith vs. works. 

Spoiler

(Not secret, I just know not everyone wants a link to you tube.)

I don't suppose the Dillards know any Rich Mullins songs except maybe Awesome God, though. Or they really think that providing their mere presence is the best good work they could do?

3 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

And if he really wants to win souls more showing and less telling when it comes to WWJD would work better.

Is it sad that when I first saw this I thought I saw my user name?

3 hours ago, Mercer said:

They may not know about Maslow, but if they're biblical literalists as they claim, they should know their Bible, like this passage from James:

[ see below]

Funny how Derick and Jill seem to have missed that with all the alleged soul-saving..

14 What good is it, my brothers, if a man says he has faith, but has no works? Can faith save him? 15 And if a brother or sister is naked and in lack of daily food, 16 and one of you tells them, “Go in peace, be warmed and filled”; and yet you didn’t give them the things the body needs, what good is it? 17 Even so faith, if it has no works, is dead in itself. 18 Yes, a man will say, “You have faith, and I have works.” Show me your faith without works, and I by my works will show you my faith.   (KJV)

Oh my goodness Mercer, you must be one of those EBIL Catholics!  FAITH in the Lord Jesus Christ who came to save us from sin is all that a good Christian needs.

True, the Dillards need indoor plumbing, climate control, the Internet and lots of cute outfits for baby, but those poor heathens in Central America just need Jesus.  In between posting on their social media and praying, the Dillards will teach the locals how to make chickenetti and tater-tot casserole to educate them in Godly eating.   Yes, the ingredients for chickenetti and tater tot casserole may be too hard to get --not to mention more expensive than the beans and tortillas the people can barely afford-- but what matters is FAITH.  

Those poor heathens in Central America need to be led away from the bad habit of praying to crucifixes (as though Jesus hadn't risen from the cross) and Jesus's mother, who can't have been a good wife to Joseph if she remained ever-virgin!  They need to be told that abortion is a sin (in case the Catholic priests forgot to mention it) and birth control is going against God's plan (because we all know the Catholics promote birth control).  But it is all about Faith and reading the Bible.

Except that part from James that you just quoted.  Someone who read it might misunderstand and think that It is saying that to be a Good Christian one must do more than have faith and talk about it.  That has got to be a Wrong Reading because look how holy and good the Dillards are, and they don't waste their precious energy on "good works" (or any kind of work, really).

Faith is all you need.  (But a TV show is also good to have.)

Hell will freeze over first.

14 hours ago, calimojo said:

[snip]

Chances are pretty good that they already speak English much better than Jill speaks English, frankly.

6 minutes ago, just...sare said:

Chances are pretty good that they already speak English much better than Jill speaks English, frankly.

Like. Like a LOT.

11 minutes ago, just...sare said:

You mean like um, Jill is too um busy with Izzy to like help these rwo Um boys to er learn English?

1 minute ago, Bad Wolf said:

You mean like um, Jill is too um busy with Izzy to like help these rwo Um boys to er learn English?

Like, totally.

I honestly doubt Jill would have the first idea how to help them learn English, never mind what to teach them or the quality of said teaching.

14 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

Maslow's hierarchy of needs:

Physiological, Safety, Love/belonging, Esteem, Self Actualization

You have to start with the basics. Converting someone does not come before filling an empty belly.

They wouldn't understand the concept of Pavolv's dog much less Maslows's. 1st you would have to explain to Jill what a hierarchy is, and the what real needs are.

I found a video that SOS founder Mike Schadt did in December for the Homekeepers show. It is truly a must watch. It starts around 9:15. His son Micah is also on the show. He is supposed to be working with Jill and Derick. Arthelene Rippy is the host of the show.

I cannot even tell you all the snark here:

Mike didn’t go to seminary either Mike was a missionary in Italy for 3 years. He is finding places where the gospel has not come.

Host states that there are quite a few people in the US that needs the gospel.

The host says [website] kinda simple, no bells or whistles. I feel it needs a makeover.

Mike went to the Middle East to evangelize the Muslims. According to Mike, a great way to a Muslim’s heart is their stomach.

The host says get them [children] saved then educate them.

I cannot make this stuff up.

Micah's Instagram:

https://www.instagram.com/schadt_ka_laka/

The arrogance is amazing.  I had to quit after village after village unreached by the Gospel and with no "Christian" church.  Poor man has apparently never been to mass where the Gospel is proclaimed in every mass.  That's more than I can say for many fundie churches where you can go for weeks or even months and only get OT readings.

• Boogalou locked, unlocked and locked this topic

Archived