IGNORED

Bates Family Part 7

Boogalou

1 hour ago, quiversR4hunting said:

Can I hope Craig likes Jana? :TRUCDEOUF:

You can and we've hoped for that before.  Maybe we'll catch a glimpse of him on the wedding episode in a few weeks.:)

• Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On ‎11‎.‎01‎.‎2016 at 7:17 AM, GreenTea said:

With the Bates having their own TV show (Bringing UP Bates) and many branching off starting their own families I think they need their own area like the Duggars have. A "Quiver Full of Bates" forum. What do you think? 

LET´S DO IT!!!

I am not sure we could fill a Bates' forum. They aren't the Duggars that are doing stupid things left and right, every other day, and twice on Thursdays. They are the gift that keep on giving. We can only say that Bradley Bates is cute so many ways. 

6 minutes ago, socalrules said:

I am not sure we could fill a Bates' forum. They aren't the Duggars that are doing stupid things left and right, every other day, and twice on Thursdays. They are the gift that keep on giving. We can only say that Bradley Bates is cute so many ways. 

I agree. And some would argue that the Duggar forum is not their favourite part of FJ, but seems to be necessary due to the sheer volume of threads. I don't see that being an issue with the Bateseseses.  Members do seem to enjoy discussing them which is great, but unless or until they start doing things other than getting married, having cute babies, wearing stylish clothing and being generally fairly attractive, I don't think we can fill an entire subforum. In fact, I like that if I want to read something pertaining to a Bates, I can find it here, all neatly in one place!

I really don't get the Keilen family. How do they end up with the 4 eldest being seemingly normal, the 4 middle being super-duper fundie, then the two youngest being more normal-ish?

Also, I think it would be a bit odd even for a normal family to have 10 kids over the age of 25 and only 2 of them being married and only having 3 grandchildren, but it's especially weird for a fundie family.

St. Johns is only about 45 minutes away from my school, interesting. Where I go to school is pretty out in the middle of nowhere, we're surrounded by farmland outside of the city, so while it's not surprising that there are fundies nearby, it's still a bit weird to see it for me!

46 minutes ago, SunnySideUp said:

I really don't get the Keilen family. How do they end up with the 4 eldest being seemingly normal, the 4 middle being super-duper fundie, then the two youngest being more normal-ish?

Also, I think it would be a bit odd even for a normal family to have 10 kids over the age of 25 and only 2 of them being married and only having 3 grandchildren, but it's especially weird for a fundie family.

You see some variations in the "fundie level" of kids in a family, and I think it depends on when the parents found ATI.

The Keilens probably were heavy but otherwise normal Christians when the eldest 4 were growing up.  They later went super fundie/ATI, but it was too late to brainwash the eldest 4.  They remembered what it was like to be "normal" Christian, and went back to that as soon as they could.

The middle 4 were raised/brainwashed by ATI for their entire lives.  They have no memory of "normal" Christianity, and were too old to influence when their parents backed off.

The youngest two 2 probably had ATI at the beginning, but as their parents moved away from ATI when they were still young, they went with them and became more "normal" Christians.  

1 hour ago, socalrules said:

I don't think we could fill a forum either.  Lets face it, the Batessess are pretty boring.  Kelly doesn't blog much anymore, she doesn't recycle the old ones either.  The kids on social media are just normal kids on social media.  Gill's the only one in any sort of hot water but it'll be awhile before that picks up steam.  They are just too media savy to give us the fun that is the Duggars.

PS If my first grandson, who will be born in March, isn't as cute as Bradley I'm returning him for a Bradley Bates model. 

1 hour ago, inabauers said:

St. Johns is only about 45 minutes away from my school, interesting. Where I go to school is pretty out in the middle of nowhere, we're surrounded by farmland outside of the city, so while it's not surprising that there are fundies nearby, it's still a bit weird to see it for me!

They actually live in Dewitt, which I know is close to St Johns.  The middle of Michigan have a lot of German/Irish decedents. Lots of Catholics. And most of the super conservative in that area are Mennonite. The really conservative part of Michigan is Grand Rapids, Holland, & Grand Haven. There was a cult in Allegan county and then The House of David in the Benton Harbor area, but like you it seems most of the conservatives in the State seem to be "normal" evangelical or tradtional religious republicans. 

Hey now--not all of us West Michiganders are conservative. Some of us are liberal PCUSA Presbyterian heathens.

1 hour ago, quiversR4hunting said:

They actually live in Dewitt, which I know is close to St Johns.  The middle of Michigan have a lot of German/Irish decedents. Lots of Catholics. And most of the super conservative in that area are Mennonite. The really conservative part of Michigan is Grand Rapids, Holland, & Grand Haven. There was a cult in Allegan county and then The House of David in the Benton Harbor area, but like you it seems most of the conservatives in the State seem to be "normal" evangelical or tradtional religious republicans. 

I live in Holland. Fellow Michiganders here I see! I can attest to the conservativeness around here. I am a Christian, though not near as conservative as some around here and definitely no where near Gothard worshipping, ATI/Fundy level. 

8 minutes ago, FaithAndReason said:

Hey now--not all of us West Michiganders are conservative. Some of us are liberal PCUSA Presbyterian heathens.

And some of us are liberal, social justice Catholics! :D

So the photographer who takes photos of Baby Bradley and Carson has been doing a photo session of Lawson, Josie, and Carlin.

It appears that the show was filming at her house so we should see Taryn on Season 3.

Is that standard price for a 15 minute photo session? See post below.

To me, the biggest difference between the Duggars and the Bates is it seems the Duggar kids's spirits are broken.  The Bates kids have personalities and spirit.  All we really get from the Duggar kids is the older daughters THs and they have Stepford Wife personalities, which is none.  The older Duggar boys don't seem to car much about the show.  The Bates kids all have personalities and some are quite spirited.  It also helps that Kelly has a personality herself, unlike overmedicated sweet talking Michelle.

A photo of the Paine girls. Erin and Chad went there for Christmas. It appears that Tabitha was let out of the Duggar house to attend.

tumblr_o0rps0prfp1tl94kio7_400.jpg

Lawson posted an new video to YouTube.

3 hours ago, quiversR4hunting said:

And some of us are liberal, social justice Catholics! :D

My parents lived in Grand Rapids for over ten years and my (secular) Jewish husband used to dread visiting them there because of the overtly Christian-ness of the area.  There is even a whole section devoted to religion in the Thursday(?) Grand Rapids paper.  My parents, die-hard Lutherans, saw people leave their church over time to join the non-denominational mega-churches in the area because that's where the kids/teens were sucked in to playing sports on the team leagues or participating in other church-sponsored activities.  Some churches pretty much wanted to monopolize the free time of families by offering so many activities (sports clubs, teen groups, etc.), there was no reason to go anywhere else.  We are Unitarian-Univeralist and my now teen son used to get a little freaked out by the sheer number of teens wearing Christian t-shirts (many with fake blood and/or crosses and/or crowns of thorns, nearly all with Bible verses or witty Christian sayings) at the local mall - to the point that he started counting the number he saw and pointing them out everywhere.  And there is an incredibly healthy number of Christian homeschoolers there, along with several Christian colleges.  We loved the local museum and some of the other things the town offered, but we are somewhat glad my parents moved back to Wisconsin where it's mostly Lutherans and Catholics in their neck of the woods and my husband feels a little less overwhelmed.  (I have nothing against any religion, but when it's so overt it can be quite uncomfortable.)

Spoiler

For those who love Tennessee, this one's for you:

For non US FJers, "Rocky Top" is also the fighting song of the University of Tennessee.  The video is worth it for the historic pictures alone, but come on, it's Dolly Parton!

4 hours ago, accountingstar said:

So the photographer who takes photos of Baby Bradley and Carson has been doing a photo session of Lawson, Josie, and Carlin.

It appears that the show was filming at her house so we should see Taryn on Season 3.

Is that standard price for a 15 minute photo session? See post below.

$150 for ONLY 15 mins and 15 digital pictures! That is highway robbery! :(  

5 hours ago, GreenTea said:

$150 for ONLY 15 mins and 15 digital pictures! That is highway robbery! :(  

Well someone has to subsidize the Bateseses photo sessions and pictures - since they're probably receiving some sort of discount for helping promote her business.

15 hours ago, grandmadugger said:

I don't think we could fill a forum either.  Lets face it, the Batessess are pretty boring.  Kelly doesn't blog much anymore, she doesn't recycle the old ones either.  The kids on social media are just normal kids on social media.  Gill's the only one in any sort of hot water but it'll be awhile before that picks up steam.  They are just too media savy to give us the fun that is the Duggars.

PS If my first grandson, who will be born in March, isn't as cute as Bradley I'm returning him for a Bradley Bates model. 

Thats your opinion. For me the Duggars are 10 times more boring. I could never watch their tvshow because they bored me to death. I find the Bateses a lot more interesting, i actually watched all their episodes.

8 hours ago, Snarkle said:

My parents lived in Grand Rapids for over ten years and my (secular) Jewish husband used to dread visiting them there because of the overtly Christian-ness of the area.  There is even a whole section devoted to religion in the Thursday(?) Grand Rapids paper.  My parents, die-hard Lutherans, saw people leave their church over time to join the non-denominational mega-churches in the area because that's where the kids/teens were sucked in to playing sports on the team leagues or participating in other church-sponsored activities.  Some churches pretty much wanted to monopolize the free time of families by offering so many activities (sports clubs, teen groups, etc.), there was no reason to go anywhere else.  We are Unitarian-Univeralist and my now teen son used to get a little freaked out by the sheer number of teens wearing Christian t-shirts (many with fake blood and/or crosses and/or crowns of thorns, nearly all with Bible verses or witty Christian sayings) at the local mall - to the point that he started counting the number he saw and pointing them out everywhere.  And there is an incredibly healthy number of Christian homeschoolers there, along with several Christian colleges.  We loved the local museum and some of the other things the town offered, but we are somewhat glad my parents moved back to Wisconsin where it's mostly Lutherans and Catholics in their neck of the woods and my husband feels a little less overwhelmed.  (I have nothing against any religion, but when it's so overt it can be quite uncomfortable.)

The Christian Reformed (dutch reformed) groups in West Michigan scare me the most. They are so forceful and in your face and holier than thou, makes me cringe. I think the younger generation has gotten more obnoxious about it.

(to my bolding) I didn't realize that is what some of the mega churches do. Interesting marketing on their part. I can't image going to a weekly church service in an auditorium. One of the mega churches near me holds 1500 and I see pictures from friends that attend and it is an auditorium. My Catholic church is large (about 2000 families but that is spread out over 4 or 5 masses every weekend) I would guess 200-300 people attend each mass.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived