IGNORED

Bates Family Part 7

Boogalou

• Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, QuiverDance said:

Maybe, but she's both sheltered and was raised in a very religious framework, so who knows?  Nashville is not NYC, but there are definitely urban amenities to be had in Tennessee, both in Nashville and to a lesser degree in Knoxville.  Nashville is a great mix of big city/small town, and people are moving there in droves. There is also a lot of economic opportunity. There is so much to do culturally, with the added benefit of really great scchools and zero crime. Tennessee's rural areas can be a bit homogeneous and backwards (and meth-infested, sadly, as someone mentioned), but its cities are thriving and growing and becoming more diverse.  Also:  Tennessee is a Christian Fundamentalist's dream.   I can see it.  (I live in Nashville, and really love it.)

I know that good schools is a common subject that comes up when deciding where to move, but this is a thread about fundies, who's kids will never see the inside of a public school.

1 hour ago, 19 cats and counting said:

I know that good schools is a common subject that comes up when deciding where to move, but this is a thread about fundies, who's kids will never see the inside of a public school.

It's possible that at some point a Bates offspring will send his or her child to public school. Their definition of "good" and ours would probably vary though.

2 hours ago, 19 cats and counting said:

LOL.  Touche.  Did I not mention the elevetythousand homeschool groups in my area?

I get the feeling that Nathan and Ashley will follow in the Dillard's footsteps and be missionaries. Nathan has spent a lot of time in the Philippines and I know he and Ashley did a mission together. 

Luckily she is billingual so if they chose a Spanish speaking country that would come in handy. 

1 hour ago, BirthingGodsWarriors said:

I get the feeling that Nathan and Ashley will follow in the Dillard's footsteps and be missionaries. Nathan has spent a lot of time in the Philippines and I know he and Ashley did a mission together. 

Luckily she is billingual so if they chose a Spanish speaking country that would come in handy. 

Hasn't Nathan been taking flying lessons?  I still think he is going to become a missionary pilot.

I am just going to put this out there. This Australian family love us some Tennessee. We have lived here, there, and everywhere in both rural and urban areas within the U.S. When the chance came up to move back to TN, we did. We actually lived around the same area as the Bates at one time because my husband had a contract with Oak Ridge. There is actually a lot of diversity in the area. There are many people from various countries and other regions of the U.S. that have massive amounts of education that live in the area due to the work with TVA. 

All places have its good and bad, no place is 100% perfect, but to say Tennessee is not diverse is simply not true. Up until recently, Nashville held the biggest Australian Festival in the U.S.  Actually, the biggest Australian Festival outside of Australia. There are a lot of us in TN, and it was nice to not have to travel far to meet up with fellow peeps. 

3 minutes ago, Mecca said:

I am just going to put this out there. This Australian family love us some Tennessee. We have lived here, there, and everywhere in both rural and urban areas within the U.S. When the chance came up to move back to TN, we did. We actually lived around the same area as the Bates at one time because my husband had a contract with Oak Ridge. There is actually a lot of diversity in the area. There are many people from various countries and other regions of the U.S. that have massive amounts of education that live in the area due to the work with TVA. 

All places have its good and bad, no place is 100% perfect, but to say Tennessee is not diverse is simply not true. Up until recently, Nashville held the biggest Australian Festival in the U.S.  Actually, the biggest Australian Festival outside of Australia. There are a lot of us in TN, and it was nice to not have to travel far to meet up with fellow peeps. 

One of the fifteen Aussie Nobel laureates lives in Memphis.

22 minutes ago, Snarkle said:

Hasn't Nathan been taking flying lessons?  I still think he is going to become a missionary pilot.

Let's hope he has better luck hanging on to an actual plane than John Shrader did.

@Mecca, have you read The Girls of Atomic City by Denise Kieran yet?  it's about the women who worked at Oak Ridge during the Manhattan Project.  One of the women became friends with a woman who was a hibakusha (bomb survivor) from Hiroshima.  These women were from all over the country. Their story is fascinating.

@Mecca, have you read The Girls of Atomic City by Denise Kieran yet?  it's about the women who worked at Oak Ridge during the Manhattan Project.  One of the women became friends with a woman who was a hibakusha (bomb survivor) from Hiroshima.  These women were from all over the country. Their story is fascinating.

So good. So, so good.

I went onto Tumblr this morning and there are a ton of new photos posted of the Bates, however, there are no captions so I have had to make assumptions.

It appears that Brandon and Michael visited his family during December. According to their Instagram account, they were there 5 weeks ago and it appears that they got their Christmas tree there too.

tumblr_o0rpicBZyJ1tl94kio3_1280.jpg

tumblr_o0rpicBZyJ1tl94kio2_1280.jpg

tumblr_o0rpicBZyJ1tl94kio1_1280.jpg

Is it strange given that this family is fundie that they don't have any grandchildren?

Erin and I assume her piano students from the Christmas recital.

tumblr_o0rps0prfp1tl94kio1_1280.jpg

Source: http://familybates.tumblr.com/

so are none of brandon's siblings married? isn't he the youngest? that does seem weird that they don't have any grandkids...

didn't his sister live alone in washington d.c., too? 

20 minutes ago, picklepizzas said:

so are none of brandon's siblings married? isn't he the youngest? that does seem weird that they don't have any grandkids...

didn't his sister live alone in washington d.c., too? 

Brandon's brother RJ (not pictured here) is married and has 2 kids.  That's the only one I think.  Most of his sisters wear pants and I believe all of them work and at least some of them live independently.

11 hours ago, Mecca said:

Knoxville has quite a few cultural events throughout the year. There's the Rossini festival, Greek Fest, the Hola festival and an Asian festival among others. The city also hosts a couple of music festivals and the International Biscuit Festival. The surrounding counties hold similar events too. It doesn't look like the Bates participate in any of those except for the Museum of Appalachia's homecoming, but it's there if they wanted the experience.

23 minutes ago, JMO said:

I feel like I should know this but how many siblings does Brandon have and where is he in the birth order?

Here's something from the 'All about the Bateses blog' from a year ago.  Don't know how accurate it is but probably pretty close. And I stand corrected, from his FB RJ has 3 kids and the youngest over 5?

Q: Do you know the ages of the members of the Staddon and Keilen families? And do you know which of them are married? I think Ruth Wissmann and Donald Staddon or Craig Keilen and Tabitha Paine (I believe she's 28) would make great couples but I have no idea of the men's ages.

A: 

I don’t know much about the Staddon family other than Robert and Kendalyn and that they’re pretty important in ATI. I know a bit more about the Keilens- Angie (38/39- has a BA and is working on a Masters), RJ (36, married with three kids), Alison (31), Craig (29-30), Brent and Becky (27, twins), Cara (26), Brandon (24), Christy (22) and Amber (20).

Other than RJ, none seem to be married. Angie and Alison seem pretty career-focused and both have highish level business jobs. RJ works in real estate and Brent, Becky and Cara seem pretty ATI involved. Christy worked at a pizza place (not sure if she still does) and Amber I think is doing College Plus. Brandon just finished a 3 year course at IMI.

I can definitely see a Paine/Keilen courtship. Both families have a lot in common. Craig’s about the right age for Tabitha, and I could see Becky or Cara with Nate. I’d love to see Ruth Wissmann in a courtship. I know next to nothing about Donald Staddon, but his family seems nice enough and they produce adorable grandkids :)

23 hours ago, elliha said:

It can also be done to relax the child, some like that type of movement. My child more or less never burped but would like it as a relaxation. 

They said in the last episode that Carson was fine as long as he was moving, otherwise he was prone to cry.  When they showed Carson laying stomach down on Erin's leg's and she was bouncing him and patting his back, I assumed this is a way they keep him from crying.  Maybe that helps his colic.  I was fortunate and none of my babies had severe colic. 

1 hour ago, MissBitters said:

Knoxville has quite a few cultural events throughout the year. There's the Rossini festival, Greek Fest, the Hola festival and an Asian festival among others. The city also hosts a couple of music festivals and the International Biscuit Festival. The surrounding counties hold similar events too. It doesn't look like the Bates participate in any of those except for the Museum of Appalachia's homecoming, but it's there if they wanted the experience.

And as us fans of the Simpson's know, Knoxville was also the site of the 1982 World's Fair.  When Bart rents a car with a fake driver's license, he, Milhous, Martin, and Nelson take off on a road trip to the Knoxville World's Fair, only they are a decade too late.  The Sunsphere is now the "Wigsphere".  The episode is "Bart on the Road"

1 minute ago, PennySycamore said:

And as us fans of the Simpson's know, Knoxville was also the site of the 1982 World's Fair.  When Bart rents a car with a fake driver's license, he, Milhous, Martin,iframe> and Nelson take off on a road trip to the Knoxville World's Fair, only they are a decade too late.  The Sunsphere is now the "Wigsphere".  The episode is "Bart on the Road"

The first thing I think of when I think of Knoxville! I'm in Nashville, and every time I'm driving through Knoxville I take a picture of the "Wigsphere" and text it to my brother with the caption "Now are you kids gonna buy some wigs or ain't ya?"

I went back to the forum http://www.freejinger.org/topic/18491-michael-bates-courting/ and found the following:

y2ete2u9.jpg

These seem to be the Keilen siblings. They go youngest to oldest, left to right. Amber, Christy, Brandon, Cara, Brent, Becky, Craig, Alison, RJ, and Angie. The parents are Jill and Ron. They go to First Baptist Church of St. John's in Michigan, where Ron is listed as an "elder." The only one who is married is RJ, who has 3 kids, but doesn't look fundie anymore. Some of the other older children don't seem all that fundie either. According to Amber's Facebook, she was home educated.

All of this, I should add, comes from public Facebook pages. Here's another family picture.

7ene2ade.jpg

Grandchildren in the second photo.

-Oldest sisters Angie (38/39) and Alison (31) are strong independent career women. Angie has a BA from Spring Arbor University. Currently studying a Masters at George Washington University... Whoa! She is a senior executive assistant to the president of Business Roundtable (whatever that means...). Alison is an office manager for Michigan Executive Office. Both do running and Angie was in the Boston Marathon.

- RJ (36) and Craig (28-30) are both seriously hot.

-Becky and Brent (27) are twins. They speak on ATI/IBLP conferences, radiant purity, homeschooling etc... Becky is on loads of fundie blogs and everyone seems to adore her.

-Cara (26) seems to be the most fundie, close with Becky.

-Christy (22) and Amber (20) seem quite liberal. Christy used to work at a pizza place and both play sports. They wear pants and sleeveless tops.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived