IGNORED

Josiah Duggar Part 4

happy atheist

Ya’ll done got some Duggar youngins goin over yonder to speechify and I reckon they fixin to cause a ruckus  One day. 

✌️

• Replies 774
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am tired of the teenage brides. Can't they wait until at least 20 like Anna did?!!??! Way back in the day she made a "rule" that she wouldn't marry until she was at least 20.

JB for awhile had a tight grip on the kids but he's definitely realized he has financial incentives to marry everyone off ASAP.

JB is going to end up with A LOT of power because of all the many marriages & babies happening in that family.

Duggarland... I can see it now.

All yall need to gain a full understanding of the yall thing. And it pains me to put the apostrophe in the word, since to me it's a word on its own "yall" and not missing a damn thing.

All yall is a thing - it means everyone being addressed; in this case, it means everyone on FJ.

And how's yourmomanem?

:)  

My pet peeve about saying 'you guys' to a mixed gender group is when someone jumps in and adds 'and girls/women/ladies'! I'm just never going to say 'do you guys and women want to go for ice cream?'. Y'all is simpler but I'd feel like a fraud saying it as a Canadian. 

One the most traumatic elementary school moments for goody-two-shoes me was when I returned something to my 3rd grade teacher and her assistant by saying “here you guys” and was yelled at and had to stand in the corner for being disrespectful. I’m still wary of saying it again!

I say "ye" here in Ireland, although certain Dublanders says "youse". My teenage daughters have been using "Y'all" a lot lately. They also tend to pronounce certain words like duplicate and tuna in the American way, and my youngest has a definite American twang to her accent, which seems to be a thing with Irish kids these days. I've heard them say diaper instead of nappy and oatmeal instead of porridge, etc....

I used to remind them that they're from Cork not California, but I've since given up on that. I'll never succeed over Jeffree Star and Philip de Franco. :my_rolleyes:

Oldest and I have a habit of picking up accents and dialects when we're exposed to them for anything more than a few weeks. Living in Arkansas for 2 years before we moved back to Midwest was fodder for huge amounts of teasing for quite a while. I still say y'all, usually when addressing everyone else in the house a la "y'all are driving me crazy" then there's "hey! You's two better stop or you're both grounded!" I'm weird and that's ok!

It doesn't make much of a difference in fundie land whether the bride is 18, 19 or 20.

No matter their age, they won't have the freedom to explore and develop independently before they are married. They will hardly be more mature or experienced by the age of 20.

So if a Duggar-boy comes a-courting and you are not averse to joining the family - and, granted, most of the girls are probably elated to be marrying into fundie royalty - what difference does it make whether you marry at 19 or 20?

The only thing we can hope for is that they have a getting-to-know-you and/or courting phase that is long enough to give them a chance to get to know one another as much as possible, à la Jessa and Ben.

At least if it's true what the Duggars are saying about the Forsyths, Caldwells, Swansons, etc. that they have been friends for a long time, and if "friends" in this case is more than JB-speak for "random fundie neighbours and acquaintances", the kidults have probably known each other since early childhood. Better than in Derick and Jill's case who were older, but had known each other comparatively little before getting engaged.

13 hours ago, luv2laugh said:

Duggarland... I can see it now.

The entire place would be an "amusement park" like no other.

Tarps for sliding downhill on dirty soapy water. Modest swimwear for rent or sale in the bath house.

Cardboard "Duggar" election signs for winter sliding on snow. Cats for rent to aim at, or, for the faint of heart, propped up cat signs to aim at...

no actual "rides" that lift you off the ground.... because modesty.

no actual "tunnel of love" type rides.. because courting.

The gift shop is actually a Duggar thrift shop, consisting of their castoffs.

"Rent a chaperone" in case you come to the park alone.. a modest fee..

Mini golf for all! Dry humping lessons... register at the office..

All announcements made by Michelle, in that sing songy voice...

18 hours ago, MayMay1123 said:

Philly says "yous"...didn't realize it was Scottish! 

So, so Scottish, lol

And probably northern English too

On 1/23/2018 at 4:22 PM, neurogirl said:

I thought it was really interesting that the People article mentioned Marjorie. Also I don't remember hearing the story, so it sounds like Marjorie ended things (did we know that for sure?) with the nice Christianese "God is telling me its not the right time." And then it was never the right time.

In terms of Marjorie's feelings about his new lady, I think she is just fine at her accredited college with her book deals.

I’ll have to remember that line for the next time I’m trying to get rid of a guy.

On 1/23/2018 at 5:49 PM, CaricatureQualities said:

Basically all of the couples in this circle become a "ministry team". It's like the main criteria for finding a spouse. Is this person's number 1 goal in life to serve Jesus? And would these 2 people (whichever couple it is ) be able to bring more people to Jesus together than they would apart? If so, marriage approved.

Having a ministry for them doesn't mean starting a church, or even being a pastor at one like Jeremy. It's assumed that every married couple is their own ministry and that ministry includes any and everything they do to serve Jesus and convert more people to their way of thinking. 

Of course they’ll bring more people to Jesus as a couple, they can’t make babies alone.

On 1/23/2018 at 7:02 PM, singsingsing said:

Father is Dwain Swanson, I believe he’s about 42. Mother is Lana, not sure of her maiden name or age. They have eight kids including Lauren, with another due in late February or early March. I haven’t been able to find out her siblings’ names or ages.

Is anyone else disappointed her dad isn’t named Ron?

22 hours ago, Kleine Vampirin said:

Scotland calling to say we have the elegant 'youse' [yooz] for you plural.

Example if faced with Maw and Paw Duggar at one of their speaking events:

'Youse two are absolute bampots'.

*looks up bampots* “The plural form of bampot”

Apparently google is an absolute bampot as well.

1 hour ago, seraaa said:

So, so Scottish, lol

My great-grandmother said "yous" - having learned it from her Scouser mom. :) 

2 hours ago, HarryPotterFan said:

Of course they’ll bring more people to Jesus as a couple, they can’t make babies alone.

:clap:  :clap:  :clap: 

Yeah, I agree with @SweetJuly. Because of the fucked-up beliefs of this cult, they regard woman as children. So whether a woman is getting married at 17 or 25, she hasn't undergone the same mental and emotional maturation that most people go through in their early twenties. There's no college, no failed relationships, no jobs. They don't go through many of the stresses and trials that form our adult minds. That's why I call them kidults, even though they're technically adults, they still seem like kids. Especially the Duggars, who've never worked a day in their lives and always have everything handed to them. And if it is a teen bride (not a teen groom), she's still expected to submit, still not independent, still not considered to be responsible enough to have agency for herself. Simply because she's a woman.

Those sanctimonious, misogynist pricks.

6 hours ago, seraaa said:

So, so Scottish, lol

NE English here...Yup along with Using Our as a singular..'Our Mam' 'Our Kelly'.

18 hours ago, PainfullyAware said:

My pet peeve about saying 'you guys' to a mixed gender group is when someone jumps in and adds 'and girls/women/ladies'! I'm just never going to say 'do you guys and women want to go for ice cream?'. Y'all is simpler but I'd feel like a fraud saying it as a Canadian. 

I'm the only female at my company in a very male dominated industry.  It drives me crazy when someone addresses a group of us as "You guys" and then looks at me and says "and girl".  I want to punch them every time they do it.  It's been 10 years of it.  

Also, I'm Canadian and use y'all all the time.

On 1/25/2018 at 2:46 PM, Rachel333 said:

Usually when southerners use "y'all" like that they do actually mean it in the plural. If they ask one person "how are y'all doing" they mean it sort of like "you and yours," not just that one person. A lot of northerners don't realize that and so think southerners are using "y'all" as singular when that isn't actually the case.

I can see your point in some cases, but  . . . but . . . but . . . and I know I am beating a dead horse . . . I really, truly had Texans use it in the singular.  Just the two of us in a room together.  They tell me "good luck on y'alls finals!"  They were just talking about ME and MY final exams.  Not my family!  "Can y'all hand me that pen?"  Again, just me.  But I am not making fun of that, so I don't get why the Southerners are bristling here.  Maybe your area doesn't say it, but I promise that some do.  I think it is cute!

I say "you guys" to mean "y'all".  I never knew anyone found it offensive until last week at my book club, when a bunch of people said how much they hate it.  Now I don't know what to say!

I always use y'all when addressing a group of people. It's gender neutral, so nobody gets offended.

12 hours ago, Four is Enough said:

Food offerings:  TTC, barbecue tuna, ramen, pickles, and cold vegetables straight out of the can.

25 minutes ago, Satan'sFortress said:

I can see your point in some cases, but  . . . but . . . but . . . and I know I am beating a dead horse . . . I really, truly had Texans use it in the singular.  Just the two of us in a room together.  They tell me "good luck on y'alls finals!"  They were just talking about ME and MY final exams.  Not my family!  "Can y'all hand me that pen?"  Again, just me.  But I am not making fun of that, so I don't get why the Southerners are bristling here.  Maybe your area doesn't say it, but I promise that some do.  I think it is cute!

I say "you guys" to mean "y'all".  I never knew anyone found it offensive until last week at my book club, when a bunch of people said how much they hate it.  Now I don't know what to say!

:pb_lol: See, I would interpret "good luck on y'alls finals" to mean you and other students. That would be fairly normal use. I don't know about the pen example if that's a direct quote; I've never heard anyone use it that way.

I don't know that we're bristling, per se, but this is actually a much debated topic. A linguist once wrote, "if anything is likely to lead to another Civil War, it is the Northerner’s accusation that Southerners use you all to refer to only one person." :pb_lol:

I do believe that the singular y'all exists, but it's a lot rare than Northerners often think. There's actually a theory that it's a way Southerners speak to Northerners, unconsciously playing up their Southern dialect, or that it can be a way to add formality.

I use y'all and you guys interchangeably. If anyone is offended by "you guys"  to a mixed gender group they are too hung up on the little things in my opinion. I also think that most Northerners' attempts to use "y'all" sound weird/stilted/disingenuous somehow. 

I've never been offended by "you guys." It's pretty gender neutral in that context at this point.

I actually use "you-all" (with the stress on the "you") pretty often. I also use that form with other words, like with "who all" and "what all."

14 hours ago, Four is Enough said:

Tarps for sliding downhill on dirty soapy water. Modest swimwear for rent or sale in the bath house.

Cardboard "Duggar" election signs for winter sliding on snow. Cats for rent to aim at, or, for the faint of heart, propped up cat signs to aim at...

no actual "rides" that lift you off the ground.... because modesty.

no actual "tunnel of love" type rides.. because courting.

The gift shop is actually a Duggar thrift shop, consisting of their castoffs.

"Rent a chaperone" in case you come to the park alone.. a modest fee..

Mini golf for all! Dry humping lessons... register at the office..

All announcements made by Michelle, in that sing songy voice...

Sounds like a Stephen king book lol

4 hours ago, Dandruff said:

Food offerings:  TTC, barbecue tuna, ramen, pickles, and cold vegetables straight out of the can.

Can't forget the beverage, tomato sauce in a can with a straw!

• laPapessaGiovanna locked this topic

Archived