IGNORED

Josiah Duggar Part 4

happy atheist

On 1/23/2018 at 8:22 PM, beepy13 said:

Curious how you guys pronounce the name "Lauren". For me, it's always been 'LOR-en', but others (including Josiah) pronounce it more like 'LAH-ren'.

My name is Lauren and I’m also curious how I’m supposed to say it. I always feel weird introducing myself because I’m not sure. :pb_lol: My mom says LAH-ren, very much without the U at all, so I guess that’s my name. I went to school with a Loren (spelled that way) so I don’t connect with that name, but there’s a sound in between that I think is the way I say it, similar to the way you would say “laurel” or maybe even “allure.”

For those concerned, I very rarely notice or care how people pronounce my name, so you’re probably not offending any Laurens when you say it. I do enjoy hearing my name in songs because I’m weird and wonder how singers sing my name. :pb_lol: A Hootie & the Blowfish song comes to mind immediately, and I know I’ve heard it from T.I. too but can’t think of the lyric.

• Replies 774
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Someone upthread said Lauren reminded her of an actress. Perhaps Jessica Paré (Megan in Mad Men)?

jessica paré-lauren.JPG

13 hours ago, tabitha2 said:

Don’t know if this had been posted or not.

Josiah_Duggar_Lauren_Swanson_courting.jp

Ye old time Duggars. 

That is some bad gloriously bad photoshop. :pb_lol: 

16 hours ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

They never use "y'all" in appropriately or unnecessarily, such as when Yankees do to make fun of Southerners. Y'all is always used to refer to two or more people, not just one person.

/Southern-speak lesson 

I am an ex-Yankee who lived in Houston and Austin for many years.  I heard people use y''all in the singular all the time.  Not judging here, in fact, in hindsight, it seems sort of charming, but they most certainly did use it that way.  "Good luck on y'alls finals!"  "Do y'all want to come over?" "Y'all better stop that" etc. said just to one person.  Maybe it varies by region.

11 hours ago, MargaretElliott said:

Born and bred New Englander here. I adopted "y'all" from southern relatives and an English teacher from Georgia because it's just easier than saying "you guys" or any other iteration of the term. It's simpler and quicker. It sounds kind of weird alongside words like "wicked" with my non-rhotic accent, though.

It is very useful!  Especially when I mangle the possessive of "you guys"!

1 hour ago, Satan'sFortress said:

"Good luck on y'alls finals!"  "Do y'all want to come over?" "Y'all better stop that" etc. said just to one person.  Maybe it varies by region.

Then they're Southern failures. lol

1 hour ago, Satan'sFortress said:

It is very useful!  Especially when I mangle the possessive of "you guys"!

Ahhh! "You guyses!" Makes me cringe every time. Also, I had a relative who, in addition to "you guyses" would use "I's" as a possessive, as in "your cousin and I's house..."

21 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

They gave January 6 as the official start date of the courtship though and that was before the trip to Australia. So I don’t know if they’d have filmed a courtship “proposal” there if they’re being that public about when it first started. 

MARRIAGE proposal

We are so excited for Josiah & Lauren to start a courtship. Lauren is a precious young lady who has a heart to use her life to serve Jesus. Josiah has matured into a good businessman and a leader with a spiritual focus. Josiah and Lauren make a great ministry team and sweet couple.

I’d say the thing that’s most off with the courtship announcement is the complete lack of exclamation marks. Michelle and JimBob clearly couldn’t muster any excitement for Josiah. On (nearly) all of the other blog posts on their website it looks like someone puked exclamation marks all over the place.

5 hours ago, Satan'sFortress said:

I am an ex-Yankee who lived in Houston and Austin for many years.  I heard people use y''all in the singular all the time.  Not judging here, in fact, in hindsight, it seems sort of charming, but they most certainly did use it that way.  "Good luck on y'alls finals!"  "Do y'all want to come over?" "Y'all better stop that" etc. said just to one person.  Maybe it varies by region.

Usually when southerners use "y'all" like that they do actually mean it in the plural. If they ask one person "how are y'all doing" they mean it sort of like "you and yours," not just that one person. A lot of northerners don't realize that and so think southerners are using "y'all" as singular when that isn't actually the case.

Scotland calling to say we have the elegant 'youse' [yooz] for you plural.

Example if faced with Maw and Paw Duggar at one of their speaking events:

'Youse two are absolute bampots'.

It's definitely useful to have a plural you. All the languages I've studied that have a plural "you" also use it for the formal singular "you," though. I feel like ideally there would be a word that is only for a plural "you," the way words like "y'all/youse/you guys/yinz/ye" function in English. The fact that so many dialects have something like that shows that it's needed!

22 minutes ago, Carm_88 said:

In Newfoundland we say "Ye" for more than one person. Useful! :) 

Good for ye! Per ye olde Wikipedia, apparently that's the original Early Modern English plural form, from the time when thou was the singular that ye have retained!

I support the usage of some form of split because seriously, it makes indicating the number of people being talked to so much easier. (Of course, we also need some form of split for "we" to indicate whether or not the listener is included as well. This apparently exists in *some* languages, but not in English. Whoops!)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/You

Married to a Scouser (someone from Liverpool, England) where they also use 'yous' (yooz) for plural you.... And then, confusingly, refer to themselves (singular) as 'us'. And then miss out the preposition.

As in "See that purity ring over there, Josiah? Give it us" 

The purity balls they go to are super creepy too, they're like mass weddings. The fathers and daughters exchange vows, the girls wear white dresses, there's a party afterwards. I watched a documentary on it on Netflix a while ago.

Yeah that’s what that Very Speshul Episode of SVU featured.

And young Joshley has matured? I’ve got bridges, swampland, and Nigerian inheritances to sell to anyone who believes that.

Y’all is the best word. Every other English equivalent sounds weird to me. Then again, I was raised in the south. I don’t have an accent thanks to my northern parents but I will never ever give up saying y’all.

I've learnt "y'all" from, er, y'all. And drop it in occasionally here. I think I only use it to refer to a group of people rather than a sole person.

2 hours ago, Rachel333 said:

It's definitely useful to have a plural you. All the languages I've studied that have a plural "you" also use it for the formal singular "you," though. I feel like ideally there would be a word that is only for a plural "you," the way words like "y'all/youse/you guys/yinz/ye" function in English. The fact that so many dialects have something like that shows that it's needed!

German doesn't. We use "ihr" as the informal plural "you" and "Sie" (capital s) as the formal "you." I'm guessing other Germanic languages which still have the formal form are similar. I agree that it's useful. It kind of annoys me to have to say "you guys" or something like that all the time. However, suddenly starting to use "y'all" would get a German living in California some REALLY weird looks. :D

5 minutes ago, JillyO said:

German doesn't. We use "ihr" as the informal plural "you" and "Sie" (capital s) as the formal "you." I'm guessing other Germanic languages which still have the formal form are similar. I agree that it's useful. It kind of annoys me to have to say "you guys" or something like that all the time. However, suddenly starting to use "y'all" would get a German living in California some REALLY weird looks. :D

That's true, I forgot about German! It's separate in Danish too. I was mostly thinking of French and Russian, but there actually are plenty of other examples of languages where those pronouns are different.

I'm from up North and I only use y'all in amusing or ionic situations. I guess to me it sounds humorous, so I'll use it like "y'all motherfuckers need Jesus."

born and raised Texan, and I say y'all all the time... What's even more fun us when you get into triple contractions, like y'all'd've (y'all would have) , lol

I don't use 'y'all' very often, because it sounds a little strange in my not-Southern accent, but it is a really useful word. I first picked it up at a youth conference in Indiana, because my roommate from Oregon was having a weeklong fling with a guy from Texas. :my_biggrin:

born and raised Texan, and I say y'all all the time... What's even more fun us when you get into triple contractions, like y'all'd've (y'all would have) , lol
Alabama here. That's my language, and I'm not embarrassed to admit it, y'all.

• laPapessaGiovanna locked this topic

Archived