IGNORED

Josiah Duggar Part 4

happy atheist

Huh. She's attractive enough, but I don't find her "pretty" in my judgment. Something about her reminds me of Jill...

I think Jinger and Jessa are the two prettiest Duggar women (born or married into). :) 

• Replies 774
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh for rufus' sake. They make a good ministry team? Ministry team?!? Jim Bob. Michelle. If you really can't be bothered to pretend to get to know the baby vessels you're bringing into the family, just say nothing. They're getting married, and she's signing away her life to being a human incubator, they're not opening a church. (And having the same religion is not the same as having anything in common, stop saying it is just because it defends yours and the smuggar's marriages)

I mean... Unless I'm doing the whole relationship thing wrong. Were we meant to start a church for our first anniversary?

25 minutes ago, SongRed7 said:

I totally understand...:-)  and I wasn't directing it at you...My apologies!  They  DO look a lot alike...I guess I've seen other posts where they say things like "Smuggar Jr." and "he looks shifty" and "a younger josh" and it just seemed unfair to say simply because of the physical resemblance, that they resembled each other in their actions. YOU didn't infer this...the thought just came to me on that particular post.  I guess I feel the same way when other people post things like "so and so looks shifty...I can tell by his beady eyes"  "or so and so looks like an abusive wife beater".....we are assigning labels based on looks.  

I agree...tone is hard to convey in posts.... :my_shy:

I was about to write something similar. I’m uncomfortable with the conversation regarding Josiah’s physical appearance. He can’t help his hairline or who he resembles or even how much he might weigh. It just seems cruel to nitpick about that stuff when there’s better things to discuss - like Lauren possibly being Teen Bride #3 in a row for the Duggars. So thank you for taking the time to mention this - it’s good to have a polite reminder once in a while. 

10 minutes ago, victoriasponge said:

Oh for rufus' sake. They make a good ministry team? Ministry team?!? Jim Bob. Michelle. If you really can't be bothered to pretend to get to know the baby vessels you're bringing into the family, just say nothing. They're getting married, and she's signing away her life to being a human incubator, they're not opening a church. (And having the same religion is not the same as having anything in common, stop saying it is just because it defends yours and the smuggar's marriages)

I mean... Unless I'm doing the whole relationship thing wrong. Were we meant to start a church for our first anniversary?

Why does it have to all boil down to "ministry". First of all, on what planet do these "kids" have the experience and knowledge to minister and why can't they just say something about them really caring about each other? 

So regarding Josiah and Josh comparisons... Josiah definitely reminds me of Josh, and he has for a long time, long before the scandals hit. Their personalities have always seemed very similar to me. They both seem less well-suited to the fundie lifestyle than some of their other siblings. But that's it. I'm in no way insinuating that Josiah would ever do anything remotely close to what Josh has done. The closest I'd get would be to suggest that Josiah might unfortunately be unhappy if he sticks with fundamentalism, but even that is speculation.

People also tend to change a lot between their late teens and late twenties, so it's entirely possible that Josh and Josiah are getting less alike as they both get older. But even if they're super similar in terms of looks or personality, that absolutely does not mean that Josiah has, or ever will, engage in behaviour anywhere near as bad as Josh's.

If I ever say something like, "Josiah reminds me of Josh, and that worries me" it's only because I think their personalities make them both ill-suited to the fundie lifestyle. I get why it's an incredibly loaded comparison, though, and how it might come across. I will try to be more conscious of that and be more careful if the subject comes up in the future.

4 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

There’s better things to discuss - like Lauren possibly being Teen Bride #3 in a row for the Duggars. 

This is why I came over here, they were on the front page of the people website.

a) Someone's looks doesn't define them.
b ) We are on this forum for intelligent and respectful discussion.
c) The teen bride thing irks me. 

I know a couple that have been married since 20. They are still married now (18 years later) and have always worked hard and supported each other 100%. They have had every opportunity and have studied for better employment and more comfortable lives. While 20 is young, it doesn't bother me because they still lived their lives and didn't get bulked down with child after child and cult like religion.

I agree with other posters above. Can we lay off the hairline thing? It's really weird. They can't control their hairline. It does not reflect on their personality, beliefs, hygiene practices, etc. Male pattern baldness is extremely common and normal, and it very often affects men even in their late teens and early 20s. Nowhere outside of FJ have I ever seen so many bizarre comments lamenting the fact that a young man has a slightly receding hairline.

I don't think Si looks like Smuggar. 

Lauren reminds me of Victoria Beckham, with a fuller face. She's a cute girl. 

19 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

Something about her reminds me of Jill...

Her gum line 

25 minutes ago, victoriasponge said:

I’m trying to imagine my parents describing me and Mr Way as a ministry team. :pb_lol:

Everything really is about ministry and Jesus with these people. What a horribly boring way to live your life. 

46 minutes ago, LKUK said:

More courtship photos, i think i'm going to scrutinise her ring finger ha

http://www.duggarfamily.com/2018/1/josiah-and-lauren

I can see no ring, just plentiful side hugs :)

I see a ring - have any of them done a promise ring previously?  ... check the first photo. 

IMO they’re not engaged yet and she’s not quite media savvy enough to know that crazy internet ladies would be taking screen shots of her ring finger so she forgot to take a non-engagement ring off :D

AF83B7F8-ECB2-48D8-9305-E33DE4B3F8C0.png

24 minutes ago, victoriasponge said:

Basically all of the couples in this circle become a "ministry team". It's like the main criteria for finding a spouse. Is this person's number 1 goal in life to serve Jesus? And would these 2 people (whichever couple it is ) be able to bring more people to Jesus together than they would apart? If so, marriage approved.

Having a ministry for them doesn't mean starting a church, or even being a pastor at one like Jeremy. It's assumed that every married couple is their own ministry and that ministry includes any and everything they do to serve Jesus and convert more people to their way of thinking. 

37 minutes ago, victoriasponge said:

I agree with you. But.

That’s exactly what they are, according to their cult. A ministry team.

The whole idea of having a full quiver is to have as many possible soldiers for their religion as they possibly can get. Their ministry is centred around having babies for their faith. 

5 minutes ago, adidas said:

I see a ring - have any of them done a promise ring previously?  ... check the first photo.

I'd guess that it's a purity ring.

11 minutes ago, adidas said:

I see a ring - have any of them done a promise ring previously?  

Could be one of those...what are they called...chastity rings,no...those rings the fathers give to daughters as a symbol of their purity...purity ring?

Is it  a purity ring from her dad? They are worn on the left ring finger right?

haha, did not see the above posts, I guess we all thought the same thing at the same time. 

Do all the people in this cult whiten their teeth or get veneers before courting?

Is cosmetic dentistry part of their belief system?  

Question: what happens to the purity rings? Do they come off at engagement or after the wedding? Do they become keepsakes or are they worn on necklaces. What does one do with the symbol of their intact hymen when their hymen is no longer intact? 

5 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Do all the people in this cult whiten their teeth or get veneers before courting?

Is cosmetic dentistry part of their belief system?  

“Your pearly whites shall resemble the pearly gates.”

4 minutes ago, CaricatureQualities said:

Question: what happens to the purity rings? Do they come off at engagement or after the wedding? Do they become keepsakes or are they worn on necklaces. What does one do with the symbol of their intact hymen when their hymen is no longer intact? 

Probably save them to pass on to future daughters.

2 hours ago, Italiangirl said:

i think that Lauren mom is due around the same time as Joy... so there will be two newborns in the front row at the wedding plus at least 2 pregnant attendance at the wedding very easily 3 

I know it's normal around fundie circles but this is still creeping me out . Getting married while your mother is having another baby 

12 minutes ago, CaricatureQualities said:

My friend's son received his bride's purity ring just before their wedding. As a gift.

2 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

Probably save them to pass on to future daughters.

That is what my college roommate planned to do with her not-really-a-purity ring. Here's the stupid story: 

We were in college when that became a thing. We were out of college and single, working women when it became a huge thing in fundagelical circles. Roommate read herself some Josh Harris and decided she should court. We were in our mid-20s. Her dad, who has common sense, was having none of it. Then she informed her dad that she felt bad that she never got a purity ring. I actually witnessed this conversation. He was very frustrated with the whole thing as he did not agree with the message of the emerging purity culture and was trying to say so and she kept interrupting him to defend it and try to guilt him that she and her brother weren't taught that way. Finally, he basically spat this at her: "we bought you that ring when you were 16 and didn't want a class ring; pretend it's a purity ring if you want". 

A few years later at her wedding, she had the pastor tell the touching story of the purity ring her parents bought her when she was 16 and that she had faithfully worn it and kept her pledge until that day. I was a bridesmaid and my eyes nearly rolled out of my head right there in the church. I'm assuming her dad's were rolling, too. 

She told me she is keeping it for her daughter. But she has three daughters, so I don't know which one gets it. It's a nice ring. I would have preferred to continue to wear it when I wanted to if I were her. 

4 minutes ago, hasunah said:

I know it's normal around fundie circles but this is still creeping me out . Getting married while your mother is having another baby 

well there could be worse like...having a baby when your mother is having a baby too...you know when you start having babys around 19 is easy that sooner or later it will happen, i could easily see joy or Kendra end up in that situation

• laPapessaGiovanna locked this topic

Archived