IGNORED

Josiah Duggar Part 4

happy atheist

13 hours ago, Audrey2 said:

According to a woman I used to work with, whose parents were from Oklahoma, the plural of y'all is all y'all.

As a southerner, I've only ever said ALL YA'LL when being clear to everyone in the room, I mean every body in the room. For example. ALL YA'LL better not touch the fries on my plate.

I have two older brothers & a dad who loves to steal fries. It is REAL in our house LOL

• Replies 774
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, Seahorse Wrangler said:

NE English here...Yup along with Using Our as a singular..'Our Mam' 'Our Kelly'.

Yes! I think Irish people may do it as well, come to think of it.

On 1/26/2018 at 8:10 PM, SapphireSlytherin said:

My great-grandmother said "yous" - having learned it from her Scouser mom. :) 

Northern solidarity! :D 

On 1/26/2018 at 9:23 AM, SweetJuly said:

It doesn't make much of a difference in fundie land whether the bride is 18, 19 or 20.

No matter their age, they won't have the freedom to explore and develop independently before they are married. They will hardly be more mature or experienced by the age of 20.

I generally agree with you, but every year that a marriage is delayed means one less year of fertility. 

I live in the Philly area now and never knew the  "youse" that the locals use came from Scotland!  The things you learn on FJ.

My only equivalent to the Southerners saying Northerners mischaracterize their use of y'all is the way some people think Northerners say words like "Cuba" as "Cuber" (think JFK).  We, or at least the New Englanders I know do indeed use an "R" sound as an elision when a word ends in a vowel sound and the next word starts with a vowel sound.  So,

"Fidel Castro was the leader of Cuba" (not Cuber), but "Cuber is an island nation". 

I would also say "I saw it on Mulberry Street" as "I sawr it on Mulberry Street.' But I would say "I saw John on Mulberry Street." Not "I sawr John.")

And, we don't pronounce those words like that EVERY time--just when that vowel sound comes next. Yeah--I totally get that sounds weird, but it's in me bones now.  I know it is making people cringe though . . .

I have heard other people--maybe Midwesterners?? say "I sawl it on Mulberry Street."

1 hour ago, Satan'sFortress said:

I live in the Philly area now and never knew the  "youse" that the locals use came from Scotland!  The things you learn on FJ.

My only equivalent to the Southerners saying Northerners mischaracterize their use of y'all is the way some people think Northerners say words like "Cuba" as "Cuber" (think JFK).  We, or at least the New Englanders I know do indeed use an "R" sound as an elision when a word ends in a vowel sound and the next word starts with a vowel sound.  So,

"Fidel Castro was the leader of Cuba" (not Cuber), but "Cuber is an island nation". 

I would also say "I saw it on Mulberry Street" as "I sawr it on Mulberry Street.' But I would say "I saw John on Mulberry Street." Not "I sawr John.")

And, we don't pronounce those words like that EVERY time--just when that vowel sound comes next. Yeah--I totally get that sounds weird, but it's in me bones now.  I know it is making people cringe though . . .

I have heard other people--maybe Midwesterners?? say "I sawl it on Mulberry Street."

I’m a lifelong resident of Connecticut and have never heard anyone from the state pronounce things that way. Maybe we’re too close to New York? I know a lot of New Englanders don’t count parts of Connecticut (more specifically, Fairfield County) as being part of New England because there’s such a heavy New York influence there. It’d make sense that pronunciation might be different because of that.

My grandmother from  Central PA used to call us "youins"... you-ins..

23 minutes ago, Four is Enough said:

My grandmother from  Central PA used to call us "youins"... you-ins..

I've been waiting for this- parts of Ohio use you'uns as well.

You'uns (or yins) is common in Missouri and Illinois too.

My Brit DH does the "r" thing on the ends of some words, as described above.

Mr. Puma has spent most of his life in California but says pin and pen the same way, and also says "sawl" for "saw." His family is from Arkansas (he says Arkan-sawww).

It *is* Ar-kin-saww.

You're right, that's actually how he says it! I'm a little sad that I've never been there. Lived in Mississippi as a kid and loved it. Not technically from there but still feel a connection to there and the South. It's been a long time but I do miss it.

6 minutes ago, PumaLover said:

Lived in Mississippi

That would be "Miss-IP-ee," you know. The second syllable doesn't exist.

It's funny how place name prononciation can make it clear someone isn't a local. One example is Canada's most hated city, Toronto. Locals say 'Tor-ono' or even slur it more into 'Trono'. Everywhere else it's Tor-on-to. 

36 minutes ago, PainfullyAware said:

prononciation can make it clear someone isn't a local.

St. Louis, Missouri, is famous for that. My dad grew up there so...

Gravois

Des Peres

Cerre

Goethe

DeBaliviere

Carondelet

Gratiot

Spoede

Belfontaine

(GRAV-oy)

(duh PEAR)

(sear)

(GO-thee) - soft "th" as in with

(duh BAWL-u-vuhr)

(kuh rahn duh LET)

(GRA chut) - the "a" sound in GRA is as in hat

(SPAY dee)

(bell FOUN tun)

Here's something we say in this here that i don't think is common in many other places: "We need to read (pronounced red) up the house today." Anyone else anywhere say this?

1 hour ago, PainfullyAware said:

It's funny how place name prononciation can make it clear someone isn't a local. One example is Canada's most hated city, Toronto. Locals say 'Tor-ono' or even slur it more into 'Trono'. Everywhere else it's Tor-on-to. 

Brisbane. Melbourne.

They rhyme. (Brizz-b'n / Mell-b'n)

Tourists say Brizz-bayne and Mell-born.

2 hours ago, PainfullyAware said:

Huh? I’m Canadian, and the only other Canadians I’ve ever heard pronounce it ‘Tor-on-to’ are a few people actually from Toronto putting on a kind of affected posh accent, or newscasters. Everyone else slurs it. At least in Ontario.

6 hours ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

St. Louis, Missouri, is famous for that. My dad grew up there so...

Gravois

Des Peres

Cerre

Goethe

DeBaliviere

Carondelet

Gratiot

Spoede

Belfontaine

(GRAV-oy)

(duh PEAR)

(sear)

(GO-thee) - soft "th" as in with

(duh BAWL-u-vuhr)

(kuh rahn duh LET)

(GRA chut) - the "a" sound in GRA is as in hat

(SPAY dee)

(bell FOUN tun)

Missourian here. It's insane the number of people in Missouri that don't even pronounce half of those right. Also, side note, can't stand when people pronounce the state as Missourah. -face palm-

6 hours ago, fluffernutter said:

Here's something we say in this here that i don't think is common in many other places: "We need to read (pronounced red) up the house today." Anyone else anywhere say this?

My grandparents were from Pennsylvania and used that all of the time! I've never heard that used anywhere else in my 44 years on earth! Thanks for that memory ❤

We have a Gratiot here too, but it's pronounced GRA (as in hat) -shit. 

Dequindre (dee-quin-der)

Schoehnerr (shay-ner) 

Charlevoix (char-leh-voy)

Ok allyallguys.  Who else cringes when hearing foyer pronounced foy-yuhr?  

13 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

I’m a lifelong resident of Connecticut and have never heard anyone from the state pronounce things that way. Maybe we’re too close to New York? I know a lot of New Englanders don’t count parts of Connecticut (more specifically, Fairfield County) as being part of New England because there’s such a heavy New York influence there. It’d make sense that pronunciation might be different because of that.

Well, golly, that may be!  I did some digging & apparently, what I am talking about is called "the intrusive R".  Certain British people use it, too (think John Lennon in "A Day in the Life"  I sawr a film today, oh boy . . .)  But in the U.S., what do you know--it may indeed restricted to certain dialects of Eastern Massachusetts/parts of Boston!  (Although there is some debate about how far North it goes in the US, and also, someone also pointed out Billy Joel sings about "Brender and Eddie" and he's from New York, so who knows.)

From Wikipedia on The Boston Accent:

• The Boston accent possesses both linking R and intrusive R: That is to say, an /r/ will not be lost at the end of a word if the next word begins with a vowel, and indeed an /r/ will be inserted after a word ending with a central or low vowel if the next word begins with a vowel: the tuner is and the tuna is are both [ðə tuːnəɹɪz].

And I was trying to find a video clip.  The best I could find was an English guy.

I always just assumed it was a whole New England thing.  I had no idea that it was so restricted.  I am a freak!!!

13 hours ago, Audrey2 said:

I've been waiting for this- parts of Ohio use you'uns as well.

I live in Ohio too, most people I know would say yall when referring to a group of people informally (family, friends, their kids) but would use you guys with more unfamiliar people. All y'all would only be used for a whole group of people like if your talking to all your kids. (All y'all need to started acting right or we're leaving! Type of thing) I've never heard you'uns before. Ohio is such an odd state it changes so much depending on where you are geographically. 

I live in NJ (the shore area) and I’m not sure if this is just us or a statewide thing, but my husband and I say “you guys” so much that our kids collectively refer to us as “guys.”  We’re still mom and dad individually, but if they’re trying to get the attention of both of us, they say “Hey, guys.”  At first I was bothered by it, but I realize it’s our own fault.  Plus it’s funny to hear “GUYS!” really loudly when one of them wakes up from a bad dream in the middle of the night.

1 hour ago, Nomorethanfour said:

My grandparents were from Pennsylvania and used that all of the time! I've never heard that used anywhere else in my 44 years on earth! Thanks for that memory ❤

I first came upon that expression when reading this book.  I was probably eight.  I understood it from context, but I never heard anyone say it IRL.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/596355.They_Loved_to_Laugh

9 hours ago, PainfullyAware said:

Yeah, in NWO if you said, "I have to go to To-ron-to for a seminar," people would laugh.  We all say Tronno (traw-no).

• laPapessaGiovanna locked this topic

Archived