IGNORED

Josiah Duggar Part 4

happy atheist

• Replies 774
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, JillyO said:

Have we discussed the fact that JB said Josiah "has matured into a fine businessman?" And just what kind of business would that be, Jim Bob? LOLOLOLOL

A crooked one, just like his dirty old man.

What about generic congrats videos for a college acceptance letter, a degree, a new job, a promotion, a raise? 

Just Kidding :pb_lol:

19 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

They went to Australia because JimBob and Michelle were doing stuff for IBLP. There is absolutely no way they’d all go on such a big trip just so Josiah could propose. 

I didn't say that was WHY they went. Just that they filmed it there so they would not be recognized while doing it!!!

18 hours ago, Bethella said:

That's assuming Pickles' info is right and they only began courting a couple of weeks ago. The People article doesn't mention when they started courting.

I think a lot of folks get caught up in the official dates "courting" "engaged" etc. and shocked at how quickly the timelines are for all of these couples. I agree,  some of them seem to be fast- tracked (some more than others)...but I think outsiders like us are getting sucked into their silly/weird/artificial  dating/non-dating/courting system and making wrong assumptions.   In most of the recent cases (Jeremy/Jinger, Austin/Joy, Joy/Kendra and from appearance Si/Lauren)  these couples actually knew and interacted much longer -- some for many, many years even though by their odd system it didn't have an official name ("courting")  

So some of us get freaked out when we hear dates and think "OMG....the've only known each other XX weeks/months and now they are engaged...etc..." when the reality is they have known each other and interacted on some level for a while (groups, family get togethers, mission trips) so it's not quite as shocking as it may seem. 

The only couple I would disagree about (and this is just on face value and what I've seen on TV so we don't actually know what the REAL timeline was) is Jill and Derrick. They seemed to meet on a blind date in Nepal after having an online relationship encouraged by JB and then it was Courting, Engagement, Marriage in a 1-2-3 fashion.

10 hours ago, eveandadam said:

She will be the 4th Duggar TEEN bride and possibly the 2nd teen mum in the Duggar household. Congrats,...I guess.

Who's the 4th teen bride? I only know of Joy and Kendra.  Jill, Jessa, Jinger and Anna were all in their 20's.  Unless we are counting Ben?   :pb_lol:

11 minutes ago, JMO said:

Who's the 4th teen bride? I only know of Joy and Kendra.  Jill, Jessa, Jinger and Anna were all in their 20's.  Unless we are counting Ben?   :pb_lol:

Michelle maybe? She was 17 when she got married, though 21 when she had Josh.

24 minutes ago, JMO said:

Michelle was 17. The poster was likely counting her.

51 minutes ago, IReallyAmHopewell said:

I didn't say that was WHY they went. Just that they filmed it there so they would not be recognized while doing it!!!

Ah! Got it. Sorry for the confusion.

They gave January 6 as the official start date of the courtship though and that was before the trip to Australia. So I don’t know if they’d have filmed a courtship “proposal” there if they’re being that public about when it first started. 

28 minutes ago, SongRed7 said:

I think a lot of folks get caught up in the official dates "courting" "engaged" etc. and shocked at how quickly the timelines are for all of these couples. I agree,  some of them seem to be fast- tracked (some more than others)...but I think outsiders like us getting sucked into their silly/weird/artificial  dating/non-dating/courting system and making wrong assumptions.   In most of the recent cases (Jeremy/Jinger, Austin/Joy, Joy/Kendra and from appearance Si/Lauren)  these couples actually knew and interacted much longer -- some for many, many years even though by their odd system it didn't have an official name ("courting")  

So some of us get freaked out when we hear dates and think "OMG....the've only known each other XX weeks/months and now they are engaged...etc..." when the reality is they have known each other and interacted on some level for a while (groups, family get togethers, mission trips) so it's not quite as shocking as it may seem. 

The only couple I would disagree about (and this is just on face value and what I've seen on TV so we don't actually know what the REAL timeline was) is Jill and Derrick. They seemed to meet on a blind date in Nepal after having an online relationship encouraged by JB and then it was Courting, Engagement, Marriage in a 1-2-3 fashion.

The Dills first spoke briefly (during a call between Derick and  JimBob) in March 2012. They started talking seriously that August, started courting in November, and were engaged in late March 2013 (two months after he returned stateside.) Altogether, they were speaking regularly for about ten months (likely closer to eleven) prior to their wedding. 

The Seewalds met the Duggars in, I believe, the fall of 2012. Benessa started talking seriously sometime in the spring of 2013, prior to Ben’s birthday on May 19th. Their courtship was outed and revealed in September of that year and it was August of 2014 when they were engaged. Total length of contact was about nineteen months before marriage, give or take a few months.

JinJer were introduced by Benessa in the fall of 2015. I think the first time Jeremy may have met Jinger and the Duggars was around the time of Jessa’s baby shower in September or October. He traveled to SCA with them that December and, I believe, received permission to get to know Jinger at that point. They began courting in late May 2016, were engaged in late July, and married in early November. Total period of serious contact was about eleven months, around the same amount of time as the Dills.

I won’t count the others at this point because those timelines are more muddled due to the family friendships. But JinJer didn’t have a period of time getting to know each other that was much longer than the Dills had.

ETA: Should have mentioned that Derick’s first interaction with the Duggars was around Christmas 2011. He left for Nepal the following month and became prayer buddies with JimBob around that time.

15 hours ago, Gillyweed said:

I hope Jed ends up with someone whose name ends in an "i" so they could be "Jedi"

I hate the whole crouping couples names together to form couples nickname, it is overdone especially with celebrity couples but I could make an exception for that.

2 hours ago, JMO said:

Michelle :-)

And, yes I forgot Ben! We have teen groom in the mix as well.

2 hours ago, SongRed7 said:

Good point. And we see how well *that* has worked out for the Duggar brand. 

22 hours ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

Huh. She's attractive enough, but I don't find her "pretty" in my judgment. Something about her reminds me of Jill...

I think Jinger and Jessa are the two prettiest Duggar women (born or married into). :) 

They have similar gums/mouths (i.e you can see the gums when they smile).

19 hours ago, beepy13 said:

Curious how you guys pronounce the name "Lauren". For me, it's always been 'LOR-en', but others (including Josiah) pronounce it more like 'LAH-ren'.

I also say "Lore-n", that's how everyone I know says it. Maybe it's a regional thing? Seems similar to how they always say y'all even when it's really unnecessary and seems like it's to emphasize their country background.

My name is Lauren and I pronounce "LOR-en". I live in an area where many people say it Lah-ren or Lawr-en. I don't like it at all. 

38 minutes ago, freethemall said:

Seems similar to how they always say y'all even when it's really unnecessary

They never use "y'all" in appropriately or unnecessarily, such as when Yankees do to make fun of Southerners. Y'all is always used to refer to two or more people, not just one person.

/Southern-speak lesson 

13 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

They never use "y'all" in appropriately or unnecessarily, such as when Yankees do to make fun of Southerners. Y'all is always used to refer to two or more people, not just one person.

/Southern-speak lesson 

Y’all is second person plural, albeit in an informal way. The concept of y’all makes this grammatical notion much easier to understand when you’re studying a Romance language. 

42 minutes ago, anjulibai said:

My name is Lauren and I pronounce "LOR-en". I live in an area where many people say it Lah-ren or Lawr-en. I don't like it at all. 

Many Southerners can’t distinguish between certain vowel sounds, like pen vs pin or caught vs cot. I can’t do it myself (born and raised in Atlanta), so this could be what it is.

I'm from California and can't hear the difference between caught and cot. 

I have never watched a Duggar video, but this Lauren pronunciation issue made me cave. I got lucky. "This is Lauren Swanson," was the first thing he said, so I didn't have to watch the entire thing. Initially, it sounded like Lore-in, the way I say it. I had to listen about 5 times to hear the Lawr-Ryn. 

In my pursuit of the video, I went to the People website first, and I was surprised that they mentioned IBLP associated with the Duggars. I have never heard of TLC mentioning IBLP, but I don't read People. Is that normal? 

I am celebrating.....the fact that I made it to the end of a topic! I read here all the time, but I'm always so behind that I'm never caught up. 

I am wondering how Josiah had been since the Marjorie thing. I still remember the way she did the announcement video of their courtship.

He's always been a Duggar favourite. I hope he treats her well.

Also saying that I am in Canada and I don't think there is a difference between caught/cot.

On 1/23/2018 at 4:28 PM, singsingsing said:

Nowhere outside of FJ have I ever seen so many bizarre comments lamenting the fact that a young man has a slightly receding hairline.

I think Prince William’s hairline receives a lot of attention from the general public.

42 minutes ago, tabitha2 said:

Don’t know if this had been posted or not.

Josiah_Duggar_Lauren_Swanson_courting.jp

Ye old time Duggars. 

SHE'S TOUCHING HIS SHOULDER!!!! NIKE!!!!1!!111!111!1!

2 hours ago, Cleopatra7 said:

Many Southerners can’t distinguish between certain vowel sounds, like pen vs pin or caught vs cot. I can’t do it myself (born and raised in Atlanta), so this could be what it is.

1 hour ago, Million Children For Jesus said:

I'm from California and can't hear the difference between caught and cot.

1 hour ago, bucherwurm said:

Also saying that I am in Canada and I don't think there is a difference between caught/cot.

Cot in IPA is [kat], whereas caught in IPA is [kʊət] — that is, they are pronounced, caht and caw-uht, respectively. Some dialects merge the sounds. And the cot-caught merger has really spread over the years, but originally gravitated from western states like CA and WA.

IPA is short for International Phonetic Alphabet, fyi. I studied phonetics last year - however, not for too long, so I my IPA translations could be mistaken - I am definitely no Henry Higgins!

4 hours ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

/Southern-speak lesson 

Born and bred New Englander here. I adopted "y'all" from southern relatives and an English teacher from Georgia because it's just easier than saying "you guys" or any other iteration of the term. It's simpler and quicker. It sounds kind of weird alongside words like "wicked" with my non-rhotic accent, though.

• laPapessaGiovanna locked this topic

Archived