IGNORED

Jessa, Ben & Spurgeon - Those Smug Seewalds

happy atheist

I know...all I can offer is the sanctimony of softball, family accents, wedding photography (both awesome and awful), eating pie with the elderly, and idols made of Pepsi.

But alas, I can't offer her the flash and glamour of your fancy orange penises.  Sigh.  I'm going to lose another one.

You do have the penguins. Don't forget the penguins! 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Calliou was my kid, I would probably be in jail. 

After watching a couple episodes of Caillou, I wanted to work my way up the ranks to become the Secretary General of the UN just so I could amend every clause of the Convention on the Rights of the Child to include the phrase "except for that little shit Caillou".

I know...all I can offer is the sanctimony of softball, family accents, wedding photography (both awesome and awful), eating pie with the elderly, and idols made of Pepsi.

But alas, I can't offer her the flash and glamour of your fancy orange penises.  Sigh.  I'm going to lose another one.

Here's all you need to know about the Arndts - when it's someone's birthday they have their cake in their parents' bed. Even the kidults.

If that isn't enough to get you intrigued, I can't imagine what is.

Also, they call their daughter Wizzy.

Here's all you need to know about the Arndts - when it's someone's birthday they have their cake in their parents' bed. Even the kidults.

To be fair, having cake in bed with my mom doesn't really sound bad...maybe i'll do it for my next birthday :pb_lol:

It's a certainty that he'll spend some time smug.  His chance to show who he really is will come when he's old enough to leave.  He'll be a golden child of a couple of self-centered kids.  I give him until he's five, and then we'll see him lording his Seewaldinesss over everyone.

I'm hoping Jessa and Bin will pop out at least one that dosnt have their personality. I mean most of the Duggarlings have personalities that somewhat resemble JB and Michelle but some (Josiah for example), don't seem particularly smug. 

Wow,  so many rabbit holes....so little time!   Lol.  

Time to start readin...

Its really amazing to think, but you could probably homeschool your child on freejinger alone and they'd get a better education than most fundies.  Between all the reading, history, religious, and literature references we go pretty deep!

He may by 18, have rebelled enough about his awful name to up & leave. I'm certain he will be aware it is godawful long before that.

I got to be honest, the Arndts really are more interesting than Raquel. She is just a spoiled , self-absorbed former homeschooler. But the Arndts are especially fascinating because they have all these grown men living at home and eating cake in Mommy and Daddy's room on their birthdays, yet they don't seem to keep them that sheltered. What did they do to them to keep them all from wanting to date or move out of the house? 

Did you want to know who or what "SpongeBob" is?  Full name is "Sponge Bob Square Pants".   He is a cartoon character, on Nickolodeon I believe.  IMO he's as irritating as hell.  

Guilty confession time:  When my son was younger, I would watch SpongeBob Square Pants with him.  I still think the earlier seasons were pretty funny.  "If you're going to swear like a sailor, you can work like a sailor!"  But I can also see how people could just as easily find the show irritating.

Yeah, I know the feeling. Boy R&M is 15 and is a *Certified Expert in EverythingTM. 

It's like living with an attorney in the house. He has a reason and argument for everything, no matter what it is or how unlikely it is to happen.

Several times I have wondered out loud in front of my son how I ever managed to navigate the world before he was born.  It's a miracle I didn't drive myself right off a cliff.

I will lead her right down the path of unrighteousness! We have mystical orange penis ferrets, blatant plagiarism, not-boyfriends, the most ridiculous bucket list you could think of, a horse from God, selfies galore, and more bad fictionals than you can ever imagine! 

And the hair! The glorious, glorious hair!

He is so much cuter than Israel (whom I still don't find cute. Not even a little bit in any of the pictures i've seen of him.

Oh thank FSM, I thought I was the only one. And I realize that his dad had to have some sort of jaw surgery and all but holy macaroni balls, what the hell?

If Ben is such a staunch Calvinist, and he believes that only the "elect" are "called" to believe in the Lord, why does he waste so much time vlog-preaching to those who are hell-bound anyway? 

I've never understood evangelical logic.

After watching a couple episodes of Caillou, I wanted to work my way up the ranks to become the Secretary General of the UN just so I could amend every clause of the Convention on the Rights of the Child to include the phrase "except for that little shit Caillou".

You just got the Caillou theme song stuck in my head and I don't think I can ever forgive you for that.

If Calliou was my kid, I would probably be in jail. 

Isn't Caillou the one who actually throws tantrums on the show?

I remember watching an episode on PBS when I was 8 (because it came on right after Sagwa, which is what I tuned in for) and my mom walking in and just trashing this kid as I was watching - and actually getting kind of angry at me for even entertaining the idea of sitting through the show at all (even though I openly and adamantly agreed with her that his behavior was pretty awful... BUT ANYWAYS). 

I'm sure it has something to do with a relatively trivial memory like that, but it still peeves me to this day whenever I hear people talk about how much they'd like to beat Caillou, or when I hear folks talk about how much of a little shit he is -- not because I don't agree that he whines 24/7 (he totally does) and has a generally bratty tone that can sometimes be unbearable, but because I feel like it's indicative of the general attitude people have towards kids and their emotional growth in general. It feeds into this idea that children aren't allowed to express anything other than positive, obedient emotions -- and when they slip, it is to immediately be admonished and corrected, rather than understood and worked through/corrected accordingly. Kids need emotional validation and I always took Caillou as an attempt at doing just that -- even if I don't always agree with or enjoy what I've seen. 

This isn't to imply you (Nikedagain) are suggesting this -- it's just that sentiments like what I've quoted give me lots of feelings. I don't believe Caillou was ever meant to depict a good, exemplary child -- in fact, I think the whole point of the show was that he isn't very well behaved, he's extremely sensitive and self-centered -- but he's learning, and "changing each day!" This doesn't mean we all need to like the show or Caillou, but I do wish people would be a little more mindful of how they talk about "bad" kids -- even if they're cartoon characters. Not to get all soapbox-y here... gonna stop myself now. ahaha

:shock::shock::shock:

Looks like I'm about to go deep into the FreeJinger threads. Ooooh dear...

Can we please just not call him Spud? That is actually the nick name for my daughter. Who BTW has a fairly normal real name.

I still say we try Spungeon or Spurge Bob. Or just Spurgey.
Or Elliot. Or Quincy.

My goodness this kid has been alive for a friggin week and he already has so many nicknames...

FreeJinger has so many amazing posters.  I am educated, enlightened and enriched almost evey time I visit.

Thee most helpful, great, profound thing I ever read here were the words, "There are so many more fundies, discussions, and threads than just the Duggars.  Try it, you'll love it."

Best advice any Fj'er will ever get.

True!

I just discoverd Jill Rodrigues and a few others.

Now I have no life.....  :popcorn2:

Its really amazing to think, but you could probably homeschool your child on freejinger alone and they'd get a better education than most fundies.  Between all the reading, history, religious, and literature references we go pretty deep!

FJ has been my continuing education homeskool.  SOFJF

I nominate Fj is my homeschool for a threadpost title.  

:lol:

Sorry if this sounds stupid but....on the old site you could find all the threads for a particular family/person together.  If I remember correctly you used to go to the bottom right and there was a drop down menu.

Is there something similar now as I can't seem to find it - if you follow the link on the SODRT info about each family it only seems to show the old threads rather than anything more recent than the changeover.

Hope somebody can help as I'm not really sure how to go about looking into some of these people mentioned anymore.

Sorry if this sounds stupid but....on the old site you could find all the threads for a particular family/person together.  If I remember correctly you used to go to the bottom right and there was a drop down menu.

Is there something similar now as I can't seem to find it - if you follow the link on the SODRT info about each family it only seems to show the old threads rather than anything more recent than the changeover.

Hope somebody can help as I'm not really sure how to go about looking into some of these people mentioned anymore.

Doesn't sound stupid at all, not to me anyways - I've been having similar issues for awhile now when it comes to navigating the site and finding recent threads about different fundie families, but it looks like recent threads are being made in the general snark forum now. I could very well be wrong, but that's where I found the latest JillRod thread.

You do have the penguins. Don't forget the penguins! 

Also, don't forget the spurting bratwurst!   :my_biggrin:

I remember watching an episode on PBS when I was 8 (because it came on right after Sagwa, which is what I tuned in for) and my mom walking in and just trashing this kid as I was watching - and actually getting kind of angry at me for even entertaining the idea of sitting through the show at all (even though I openly and adamantly agreed with her that his behavior was pretty awful... BUT ANYWAYS). 

I'm sure it has something to do with a relatively trivial memory like that, but it still peeves me to this day whenever I hear people talk about how much they'd like to beat Caillou, or when I hear folks talk about how much of a little shit he is -- not because I don't agree that he whines 24/7 (he totally does) and has a generally bratty tone that can sometimes be unbearable, but because I feel like it's indicative of the general attitude people have towards kids and their emotional growth in general. It feeds into this idea that children aren't allowed to express anything other than positive, obedient emotions -- and when they slip, it is to immediately be admonished and corrected, rather than understood and worked through/corrected accordingly. Kids need emotional validation and I always took Caillou as an attempt at doing just that -- even if I don't always agree with or enjoy what I've seen. 

This isn't to imply you (Nikedagain) are suggesting this -- it's just that sentiments like what I've quoted give me lots of feelings. I don't believe Caillou was ever meant to depict a good, exemplary child -- in fact, I think the whole point of the show was that he isn't very well behaved, he's extremely sensitive and self-centered -- but he's learning, and "changing each day!" This doesn't mean we all need to like the show or Caillou, but I do wish people would be a little more mindful of how they talk about "bad" kids -- even if they're cartoon characters. Not to get all soapbox-y here... gonna stop myself now. ahaha

<snip>

I think the main issue people have with Caillou and why they think of him as a brat/little shit is that his behavior is never really corrected. He whines, disrespects his parents, bullies his younger sister, breaks his toys, throws tantrums at the slightest frustration, and a lot of the time, his parents either ignore/downplay his behavior or acquiesce to his demands. A lot of IMDB reviews of Caillou make the point that even if Caillou's behavior is shown to be wrong/illogical/unacceptable, kids watching only see the bad behavior, and then emulate it. It's like Francois Truffaut's idea that a truly anti-war film is impossible because people will just think that the violence is cool; Caillou is basically the Apocalypse Now of children's shows, in that it's trying to say that acting like a little brat is not a good thing, but little kids just see Caillou acting like a little asshole with zero consequences for his behavior, and think they should act like that.

Also, don't forget the spurting bratwurst!   :my_biggrin:

Yes!  Spurting bratwurst will never not be funny!  

if you go to Forums > Archived / Topical Threads > Families and Individuals.  If you get lost we'll send the rescue ferrets.

:shock::shock::shock:

Looks like I'm about to go deep into the FreeJinger threads. Ooooh dear...

I still say we try Spungeon or Spurge Bob. Or just Spurgey.Or Elliot. Or Quincy.

My goodness this kid has been alive for a friggin week and he already has so many nicknames...

Thank you thank you thank you!! I've been thinking/reading a lot about the adulterization/full responsibilization of children/treating kids like "mini-adults" lately. It makes me so upset!

(for a book suggestion related to this: Ann Arnett Ferguson's "Bad Boys" is really fantastic)

I think the main issue people have with Caillou and why they think of him as a brat/little shit is that his behavior is never really corrected. He whines, disrespects his parents, bullies his younger sister, breaks his toys, throws tantrums at the slightest frustration, and a lot of the time, his parents either ignore/downplay his behavior or acquiesce to his demands. A lot of IMDB reviews of Caillou make the point that even if Caillou's behavior is shown to be wrong/illogical/unacceptable, kids watching only see the bad behavior, and then emulate it. It's like Francois Truffaut's idea that a truly anti-war film is impossible because people will just think that the violence is cool; Caillou is basically the Apocalypse Now of children's shows, in that it's trying to say that acting like a little brat is not a good thing, but little kids just see Caillou acting like a little asshole with zero consequences for his behavior, and think they should act like that.

Point taken - I can understand how that in and of itself would make the show worthy of criticism if positive discipline isn't being effectively demonstrated. It just bothers me when that criticism comes in the form of, "I would be in jail if Caillou were my child," rather than being like, "WTF is up with Caillou's parents being complicit in his poor behavior?" 

Thank you thank you thank you!! I've been thinking/reading a lot about the adulterization/full responsibilization of children/treating kids like "mini-adults" lately. It makes me so upset!

(for a book suggestion related to this: Ann Arnett Ferguson's "Bad Boys" is really fantastic)

Ugh, I'm glad I'm not the only one... thank you for saying something! 

I'm always keeping an eye out for good books about children and parenting* (and anything related) -- so I'll definitely give that book a read!

(* = I'm aware this book isn't necessarily about parenting and is focused on the ways black boys are treated in the public school system, but my statement doesn't make that clear and comes across like I didn't actually look into what this book is about. I did though, and I'm really interested in reading it, so thank you!)

• happy atheist locked this topic

Archived