IGNORED

Jessa, Ben & Spurgeon - Those Smug Seewalds

happy atheist

you think this is Jessa or JIll - doesn't sound like it to me - Jessa or Jill don't know who the Kardashians are lol 

THAT was the fly in the ointment! Sometimes I think those blinds are made to point you in a certain direction and other times they throw in something to confuse it. The thing is, I couldn't think of any other reality tv mom who might fit the description. Mama June? I dunno.

I always find it interesting when the blinds seem to point to the duggars.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Ben is such a staunch Calvinist, and he believes that only the "elect" are "called" to believe in the Lord, why does he waste so much time vlog-preaching to those who are hell-bound anyway? 

I've never understood evangelical logic.

Me neither.  The best I can come up with is that they are preaching so that those predestined to be converted will be converted the way God intended all along.

This sounds like someone from one of the Housewives shows but don't know which one.  Someone wealthy whose children are old enough to date. Maybe Kyle Richards?

Could be - I don't watch any of them so I wouldn't know.

Hey! I'm going on vacation soon ...the last time I went away, the Josh molestation scandal hit. I came back to pages and pages of reading. Then I was away again just when the Ashley Madison scandal broke. Watch the news carefully the next few weeks!

Ben has repeatedly said he was a sinner who was saved over and over again. He never says as Jinger always says that she is not worthy.  I think he thinks he is worthy yet a sinner.    I think this is his way of saying that he thinks his son has now been saved and he as an extension has now been saved because he is the father and of course Jessa gave birth to the saved.    As for Christ dying on the cross to save the elect and not humankind I don't believe that.   But really great response on your end - thank you 

I'm glad some of it made sense. And I don't believe in the "elect" either. But it seems that Ben does.  And even though he realizes he is a sinner (because all men are sinners) he sure does act as though he is one of the saved.  

Nope. Calliou is still worse than Sponge Bob. I can't think of anyone worse. I'm amazed at how whiny kids get after watching Calliou. 

I don't know how Caillou is still on tv because every parent I have known, myself included, hates Caillou! My kids watched a few episodes and I told them it wasn't allowed anymore. lol

Holy condescending. Could you please mind the way you're speaking to me? It genuinely upsets me whenever I'm spoken to like I'm stupid - even if it's online. I can understand feeling annoyed by my confusion, but that doesn't warrant the contemptuous 'splaining you're giving me right now. 

I know exactly what an archive is. For old threads. And - what the fuck - I know what Snark is (and where it goes). 

That's not where my confusion was, at all. It had to do with my understanding of how Snark was categorized and a whole bunch of other shit I'm not going to ass myself to explain, since that's apparently going to make me deserving of blatant disrespect. I figured it all out with time, but I was just trying to relate to another user about their confusion with where to find things. You could very well have just sent me that first and third sentence. 

Just, okay. I get it now. Jesus.

Holy overreaction.  You've been a member for 4 whole days so you probably don't realize that HA is known for being...succinct.  You might want to get a little thicker skin if you plan to do well on FJ.  People aren't really known to pull punches here.

Holy overreaction.  You've been a member for 4 whole days so you probably don't realize that HA is known for being...succinct.  You might want to get a little thicker skin if you plan to do well on FJ.  People aren't really known to pull punches here.

No idea what this is in reference to (too lazy to follow every little tiff), but I think this is the best thing about FJ. No "THE TOPIC IS THE DUGGARS, YOU ARE BANNED" like TWOP in the old days, no "you said something negative about our editorial choices, you are banned" like Jezebel/Gawker (yes I am banned on Jez, wtf). I love it here. Precisely bc I can be salty if I want to and don't have to watch what I say too much.

Maybe I should change "Fun Killer" to ",,,succinct"

:kitty-shifty:

"Fun Killer (succinct)" may be apt

I think it really needs the ellipsis though. It shows that @Curious was looking for the most diplomatic word.

"Hmm. Blunt? No. Brusque? No. Curt? No. Terse? No. How about... Succinct."

"Fun Killer (succinct)" may be apt

that could work, but leaves room for interpretation.  Not clear if she kills fun which is succinct or if she kills all fun, succinctly.  

I don't know how Caillou is still on tv because every parent I have known, myself included, hates Caillou! My kids watched a few episodes and I told them it wasn't allowed anymore. lol

Lol I love the Caillou hate in this thread. I've always been curious why the little fucker is bald. And then we've got mom and dad who have the same haircut.  

Lol I love the Caillou hate in this thread. I've always been curious why the little fucker is bald. And then we've got mom and dad who have the same haircut.  

The Caillou thread drift is cracking me up tonight, or maybe it my brandy with Sudafed.  :yoga:

Coming out of lurkdom to ask which one of you posted on an Instagram fan account that Spurgeon was going on your list of names...for girls?! Specifically, Spurgeonette or Spurgina. Spurgina. Spurgiiiiiiiiina. I can't stop saying it. At least we could call her Gina. 

calliou, the little bear and emily-elizabeth from clifford were the most annoying child characters in tv history, imo.

I seem to remember reading that Caillou means "bald" in French (maybe French Canadian)?  I just assumed h had alopecia, yet nobody talks about it. But yeah, I always wondered why he was bald.  He didn't annoy me as much as Dora.  Barney is a whole other ballgame. 

So...is Bin supposedly still working for Boob?  Or is he a Stay-at-home-grifter?  He did get an associate's degree, so perhaps he is actually working on a bachelor's degree.  If he's smart, he'd do it in a useful field like accounting, but I won't be holding my breath.  How does he plan to support Blessa's make-up bills?

http://blindgossip.com/?p=73598 this is the blind item i think it's jessa. the other one about the reality tv mom is probably about one of the real housewives.

I think we discussed this back when it was first posted, which was before the Specials were announced and not long after Jessa and Bin posted some Bible quotes that people interpreted as critical of Josh.

Does anyone else remember?

I honestly still can't believe they gave him this name for real. :56247953c05d2_32(6):When I first saw it, I thought it was some free jinger inside joke.

As creative and brilliant as everyone here is, nobody could have imagined this. 

I was going through some old baby name books at work and looky what I found. Of course, we knew there were more Spongebobs out there, but I can't fathom this name being recommended in a mainstream, non fundie book.

IMG_3768.JPG

Putting this in a spoiler to spare the thread drift.

:pb_lol: knew I was going to be accused of overreacting and/or have my membership brought up; this is typical forum crap. I'm fully aware of how "succinct" HA is, I've been lurking through the threads long enough to be aware. That doesn't make HA magically infallible or incapable of being overly crass; it is one thing to be frank and to the point - and again, entirely another to talk to me like I'm fucking three. I know I've got a throwback photo for an icon, but that doesn't mean I'm going to let anyone, in any space, pull some power tripping bullshit on me over something as menial as that. Because that is exactly what the sarcastic tone is about, regardless of the excuses and justifications you may have for it. I literally do not care if that makes me overly sensitive or dramatic to you - it doesn't change the primary issue I'm having with that reply. I really am not wanting to drag this out more than it needs to be.

And, regarding the bolded: you can kindly back off with that unsolicited advice, thanks. I didn't register here to people please - you all are free to have your opinions, but don't assume I'm sitting here hoping to god I "do well" for some random corner of the internet. I will stick up for myself when the way I'm being spoken to is unwarranted, whether folks like how I'm doing that or not --  that's it. I'm not going to debate this, and I'm not asking for your permission to be upset. That's absolutely not your decision to make, and you have no right telling me whether or not my reaction is okay. If this puts me on FJ's general bad side, so be it. 

This is the last I'm engaging on this because I'm not interested in turning the thread drift into a pointless internet argument. Again, feel free to dislike and/or disagree with me, but I'm standing firm on what I said.

I think we discussed this back when it was first posted, which was before the Specials were announced and not long after Jessa and Bin posted some Bible quotes that people interpreted as critical of Josh.

Does anyone else remember?

I remember that ig post, yeah.

Hmmm... I've never heard of this book. It sounds interesting. I'm intrigued. 

*goes to search in Kindle*

I have some stories pertaining to the subject, although my brothers were mostly in private school. 

Ooh, I really hope it's in Kindle! Amazon doesn't seem to have a kindle purchase option, though I'm assuming that doesn't rule out the possibility all together. The description reeeeally makes me want to read this book (excerpt):

Ann Arnett Ferguson demonstrates how a group of eleven- and twelve-year-old males are identified by school personnel as "bound for jail" and how the youth construct a sense of self under such adverse circumstances. The author focuses on the perspective and voices of pre-adolescent African American boys. How does it feel to be labeled "unsalvageable" by your teacher? How does one endure school when the educators predict one's future as "a jail cell with your name on it?" Through interviews and participation with these youth in classrooms, playgrounds, movie theaters, and video arcades, the author explores what "getting into trouble" means for the boys themselves. She argues that rather than simply internalizing these labels, the boys look critically at schooling as they dispute and evaluate the meaning and motivation behind the labels that have been attached to them. 

I ended up just getting a hard copy, since I know my partner will probably want to read it as well.

I don't know how appropriate it is for me to ask you about the stories you have, but if you're comfortable sharing, you are absolutely welcome to - and no obligations to do so either, of course. My empathy goes out to your brothers either way, for what I'm assuming were really shitty experiences while in the public school system. 

Ooh, I really hope it's in Kindle! Amazon doesn't seem to have a kindle purchase option, though I'm assuming that doesn't rule out the possibility all together. The description reeeeally makes me want to read this book (excerpt):

I ended up just getting a hard copy, since I know my partner will probably want to read it as well.

I don't know how appropriate it is for me to ask you about the stories you have, but if you're comfortable sharing, you are absolutely welcome to - and no obligations to do so either, of course. My empathy goes out to your brothers either way, for what I'm assuming were really shitty experiences while in the public school system. 

Thanks for sharing the excerpt! I can't find the electronic version, so I just ordered the hard copy. I'm looking forward to reading it! 

I would be happy to share some time... Right now I'm too sleepy :my_biggrin:

• happy atheist locked this topic

Archived