IGNORED

Jessa, Ben & Spurgeon - Those Smug Seewalds

happy atheist

Yes, if Jessa were to think about it, there are some important contradictions between what her family seems to believe and what her husband preaches. But will Jessa be capable of thinking about it?  How much, other than the certainty of her own Godliness has she learned/understood about her family's theology. Will she see the differences or just look at Ben's views as a variation on what her parents teach?

I'm sure you're right. It's just hard to wrap my head around this since they claim that basically their whole lives revolve around religion. But, of course, I shouldn't be surprised. It's not like I thought they received a good education at the SOTDRT, not even on theology. So I guess Ben believing something quite opposed to what Jessa's family believes is no biggie.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Putting this in a spoiler to spare the thread drift.

Hidden Content

Oh good gawds. Diaper?

Thanks for sharing the excerpt! I can't find the electronic version, so I just ordered the hard copy. I'm looking forward to reading it! 

I would be happy to share some time... Right now I'm too sleepy :my_biggrin:

I'm so excited that y'all are reading it!! If you ever have time and want to talk about the book I'd love to hear your thoughts on what you read. 

Arthur is where is at or Cyber chase if you want to learn math.  

I always lover when Arthur would parody something n like those damn creepy American girl dolls (called World girls in the show)

And how ungodly expensive they are.

Half that rant comes from me actually seeing the catalog this year (and hiding it from little sis ^,^ don't worry Santa is still bringing lots of goodies including Stormfly from B-a-B) 

HOW does one afford that $#*^?!?

On topic: I still laugh when I read Spurgeon. :56247958035f1_32(18):

Don't you think that one of the requirements for being a certain type of Fundie is total lack of empathy and complete disregard for human psychology?  They think that if they can only make you share their feelings/beliefs then you will be saved.  Your feelings are irrelevant.

Yes, if you put it like that, I can´t help admitting that I do, in fact, think that.

My problem is in that I also believe that nobody is born without a considerable amount of empathy that is really hard to get rid of. Besides, I believe that this happens to be very good news because empathy usually makes your life better as well as the lives of the people around you. So why would you choose to throw away something that is so good?

*sigh* I know that people do it, and I cannot help supposing that there must have been some sort of trauma in their lives or in their family, maybe some generations ago, that made it necessary to numb feelings of pain, vulnerability and empathy in the first place. But even if I should be right on that one, I still think that, in order to heal, they´d have to re-learn to feel whatever they feel, even if it hurts. They look for healing in the false promises of fundamentalists who pretend that, if you follow their rules, you will never again be obliged to feel any pain because God will protect you from it. (It does not really make sense ´cause if God did not even protect his own son from feeling pain, why would he protect anybody else? :pb_rollseyes: But people desperately want to believe it, and so they do.)

Yeah, well, at the end of the day I probably am a little frustrated missionary myself who really longs to prevent people from taking the „wrong road“ that is sure to make their lives miserable... :pb_redface:

It's about Yolanda Foster actually lol (I follow BG religiously...)

i don't watch reality tv, and i wouldn't know about this family if they weren't EVERYWHERE. I have been thinking this about her when the second daughter started modeling. That woman seems crazy

I was going through some old baby name books at work and looky what I found. Of course, we knew there were more Spongebobs out there, but I can't fathom this name being recommended in a mainstream, non fundie book.

IMG_3768.JPG

Thats awesome.  Can I start referring to him as the shrub?

I'm sure you're right. It's just hard to wrap my head around this since they claim that basically their whole lives revolve around religion. But, of course, I shouldn't be surprised. It's not like I thought they received a good education at the SOTDRT, not even on theology. So I guess Ben believing something quite opposed to what Jessa's family believes is no biggie.

I'm finding this whole calvinism discussion fascinating.  is there anyone out there who has experience with calvinism? because while i am familiar with their theology and the concept of the elect, i have never understood how it plays out rationally in people's every day lives.  what's the point of doing anything at all if you think you've been preordained for salvation before birth? why be a good person or even a good christian in that case, since you can't do anything to change it? also, what is the point of being "saved" if you're already marked for salvation? because if i remember correctly, ben interviewed jinger about the time she was "saved" so he seems to still believe in that process. similarly, what would motivate evangelism in this case, since it shouldn't matter if new people hear the word bc they've already been elected or non-elected anyway? 

ps not meant to be snarking on calvinism in general with all of these pestering questions, i am genuinely curious! i come from more of a good works are a necessary component of salvation background so i'm curious about the rationale!

I'm finding this whole calvinism discussion fascinating.  is there anyone out there who has experience with calvinism? because while i am familiar with their theology and the concept of the elect, i have never understood how it plays out rationally in people's every day lives.  what's the point of doing anything at all if you think you've been preordained for salvation before birth? why be a good person or even a good christian in that case, since you can't do anything to change it? also, what is the point of being "saved" if you're already marked for salvation? because if i remember correctly, ben interviewed jinger about the time she was "saved" so he seems to still believe in that process. similarly, what would motivate evangelism in this case, since it shouldn't matter if new people hear the word bc they've already been elected or non-elected anyway? 

ps not meant to be snarking on calvinism in general with all of these pestering questions, i am genuinely curious! i come from more of a good works are a necessary component of salvation background so i'm curious about the rationale!

I'm with you on the confusion over the "elect."  In my mind its contrary to the very key idea that Jesus died for sins.  If god, who is all powerful, chooses who is saved prior to their existence and their faith is pre ordained, then why did Jesus have to suffer and die?  Couldnt the sins of the elect have been forgiven by divine fiat instead of blood? If I am elect, and my sins have been forgiven and my faith is inherent to my soul, whats the point?

I think that is a huge "biggie" if Ben believes one thing and Jessa believes another and he has been able to tone it down up until now.  He no longer has to tone it down - he can bring it out and have it sit sit next to them on the coffee table and not be ashamed in his eyes like he once was - again shameless 

That is a huge biggie - as for Spurgeon the shrub from that book that someone posted - I love that - 

http://blindgossip.com/?p=74953#more-74953

The other blind quoted at the bottom (She tried to jump ship) is also reputed to be Jessa or maybe Jill.

I'm thinking Kate Gosselin. She always seems to talk about her kids and how much she loves her kids and how she does everything for her kids, and everybody knows her kids are the last people she's thinking about.

she is always sick in the hospital but you really think she wants her own reality show.  So she can be shown with her unavailable husband, her being in hospital after hospital, all the while her three kids trapeze and pout everywhere - sounds like riveting television - i remember watching for a brief second her husband with his other wife and her kids for a brief summer show - again riveting 

Sorry for the re-drift back to Caillou, but holy crap, you could probably start a snark thread on that show!  I never heard of it until today, as my nephews missed that one in their early years.  I looked up an episode on YouTube and lasted less than 2 minutes before my brain wanted to explode.

Sorry for the re-drift back to Caillou, but holy crap, you could probably start a snark thread on that show!  I never heard of it until today, as my nephews missed that one in their early years.  I looked up an episode on YouTube and lasted less than 2 minutes before my brain wanted to explode.

I banned Caillou after my niece became afraid of leaves and put her hands in front of her, saying "Im scared" of just about everything.  She even said it exactly like he did.  No more Caillou in my presence... and as far as I know my brother hasnt permitted her to watch it either.  Amazingly, she is no longer afraid of stupid things and loves Dora. 

I'm with you. I understand the theology, but I don't really understand how it would play out in real life. So basically, I just wanted to add that I, too, would be curious if anybody had any insights!

I banned Caillou after my niece became afraid of leaves and put her hands in front of her, saying "Im scared" of just about everything.  She even said it exactly like he did.  No more Caillou in my presence... and as far as I know my brother hasnt permitted her to watch it either.  Amazingly, she is no longer afraid of stupid things and loves Dora. 

I banned him after my daughter started talking in that whiny voice that he always uses. 

I don't know how I missed the whole Calliou thing, since it came out when my youngest was a baby...but I don't think we saw a single episode.  From what I'm reading here - bullet dodged.

It's amazing the impact childhood shows have on you into life.  I was just thinking the other day of the Magic Door - played on Sunday mornings in the Chicago area when I was a kid...Jewish elf, lived in an an acorn, taught us Hebrew letters and to be kind to one another?  This came up the other day during a rousing debate with someone else of a certain age who remembers this show and me sure he lived in a mushroom...thank you, internet, for correcting my memory.

I fucking hate caillou. And Dora. Thankfully, my 4 year-old cousin is into peppa pig and sofia the first. My one year old niece is now into pocoyo. I can handle that.

I don't consider myself prejudiced but I'm going to have to be frank.  I AM Caillouist.  I often wonder how projects such as these receive approval from the concept stage through to airing.  It surely boggles the mind. You can't even hate watch!  Truly nauseating little bugger. 

I fucking hate caillou. And Dora. Thankfully, my 4 year-old cousin is into peppa pig and sofia the first. My one year old niece is now into pocoyo. I can handle that.

I *love* Sofia the First.   

I've never seen caillou and it sounds like I'm glad.

On the topic of Caillou (again), why do his parents look identical and have the exact same haircut?? Also I googled it and apparently they named him "Caillou" because it means "pebble" or "bald head" in French and they designed him that way because he "represents all children".

Urban dictionary, however, shows a much different definition:

"Caillou is a soiled little shit TV show on PBS, Caillou can't grow hair, not because he has cancer or progeria, but because he sucks, and even his own body recognizes that he does not deserve hair or food or love.Mar 26, 2014

Mom: "Caillou you cannot buy that popcicle" 
Caillou: *screams*"

My daughter used to love Calliou.  I think she's pretty much seen every episode.  I get what everyone is saying about the whining, and I always thought it was very strange that a 4 year old didn't have hair.  Anyway, none of his annoying behavior rubbed off on her.  She's much more affected by rude behavior she picks up from other kids in preschool.  I shut that down very quickly. :my_biggrin:

Now she's really into Paw Patrol and Octonauts.

• happy atheist locked this topic

Archived