IGNORED

Jessa, Ben & Spurgeon - Those Smug Seewalds

happy atheist

Wonder when The Spurge will start being blanket trained.   Looks like they've already started with Izzie.

Josh probably got the full blast of twisted Gothard-ATI training as the firstborn.  I'm not making excuses for him, but I'll bet things were harsh and amounted to a very poor early childhood mental health environment.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wonder when The Spurge will start being blanket trained.   Looks like they've already started with Izzie.

Josh probably got the full blast of twisted Gothard-ATI training as the firstborn.  I'm not making excuses for him, but I'll bet things were harsh and amounted to a very poor early childhood mental health environment.

Are you referring to the video where Izzy is crawling on the floor as blanket training?  

Josh was a couple of years old when they started following Gothard.  I think he and the twins were spared the blanket training.  The other older kids probably got it in full force though.

I remember others have pointed out that the Seewalds are Calvinists, and I had noted the discussion about Spurgeon being the name of a "boy preacher" but it hadn't sunk in until I started reading Spurgeon that what may be going on is this weird Calvinist-inspired concern about the signs that one is among the elect.  I wonder if Ben thinks Jessa is among the elect or if he is unsure ( after all, she is a bit bossy and her brother is... No, no, of course she is Saved and so will their child be Saved and the name will show the world jus how Saved ...)  

I agree, what they are going to do to that kid is scary--  even if they don't blanket train.

what is this elect stuff - if you are referring to Jessa being saved by God therefore Ben stalked her - because he somehow "knew" because of who she was - then they would have a child together and that child would be the new creation of "god" is just SO FUCKING CREEPY and shows you and US that at least my eyes were covered 

And I say it again - at least JB was at least not SO blatant where Ben is just So Blatant about it and it is not not cool and a little frustrating and gross 

am I on the right track with what you were thinking or am I way out there because of my obvious dislike of this theory  

It has always struck me as incredibly odd that Jessa and Ben would end up together and they'd just pretend that they all had the same beliefs. When in reality, the Duggars and the Seewalds have very, very different beliefs. I do wonder how they reconcile those glaring differences in theology at home.

They have the same beliefs where it matters:  Ben is in charge and his word is gospel.  Jesus first, money second, smile for the cameras. 

I wish it were just the young men!  Number 5 daughter just 'schooled' me again, bless her little heart, on yet another issue close to her.  It's the age, I understand, but it gets a little exhausting after awhile. :kitty-shifty:

Yeah, I know the feeling. Boy R&M is 15 and is a *Certified Expert in EverythingTM. 

It's like living with an attorney in the house. He has a reason and argument for everything, no matter what it is or how unlikely it is to happen.

They have the same beliefs where it matters:  Ben is in charge and his word is gospel.  Jesus first, money second, smile for the cameras. 

so then what is really behind the cameras ? if not what we see - but what you just said because did he get that from JB - ?

As I recall, the Duggars are closer to the "Free Will" Baptists in that they see opportunity for repentance and redemption more than the strictly Calvinist strand of Baptists that Spurgeon speaks for and I believe the Seewald father at least subscribes to.  So we may need to start looking at Ben's "theology" as something different from the Duggar Fundieness. 

So...when Ben's father blogs that Josh is a faux Christian, it suggests Pops Seewald may view Josh as irredeemable?  As in, Josh shows clear evidence through his hypocrisy that he is not among the elect--?  

I never thought of the Duggars as actually doing theology beyond their promotion of a cult of purity and legalistic fundamentalism.  They always struck me as "living samples" as opposed to thinkers.  

If JB was so hot to marry off the girls to the "most Godly men," you would think he would have asked them a few more probing questions about their theology. It might come as a shock to JB & M that Ben's notion of Fundie-ism is different than theirs. Of course, that would have required some critical thinking.

Am I assuming right that Amy went to public school?

Yeah, I know the feeling. Boy R&M is 15 and is a *Certified Expert in EverythingTM. 

It's like living with an attorney in the house. He has a reason and argument for everything, no matter what it is or how unlikely it is to happen.

I feel your pain.  When I was a kid my mom would sometimes wearily wish upon me children just like me.  If she were here she'd be laughing her ass off!  (Although I should not tempt fate - my kids are all orders of magnitude more reasonable and easier to raise than I ever was...but two out of three do know everything, so that comes in handy.)

I just have to come out of the lurker nation to comment on this.......name???  Is that what "Spurgeon" is?  A first name? Really?

When my hubs and I named our 3 kids, we took many things into consideration.   Family names, nick name potential, ethnicity of said name etc......   First and formost was the question.  Will this name help or hinder this child.....for the REST of his/her life?  Spurgeon will only be a hinderence, poor kid!!!

Guys, this is a free speech area and all. . . but don't you think it's time to stop making jokes about the kid's name? It's been close to a week now since they announced the name. Hasn't everything already been said and all the jokes already been made?

We get it. It's an odd name choice and I have no issue with people pointing out the theological issues with the name or the meaning behind why they picked it. But isn't it about time we stop recycling the same "Spurgeon sounds like a STD" or "It sounds like a sex act" type of jokes and comments? This is an innocent kid we're talking about after all.

Guys, this is a free speech area and all. . . but don't you think it's time to stop making jokes about the kid's name? It's been close to a week now since they announced the name. Hasn't everything already been said and all the jokes already been made?

We get it. It's an odd name choice and I have no issue with people pointing out the theological issues with the name or the meaning behind why they picked it. But isn't it about time we stop recycling the same "Spurgeon sounds like a STD" or "It sounds like a sex act" type of jokes and comments? This is an innocent kid we're talking about after all.

sorry to bring it up again.   Lol.    My bad!!  

Honestly,  they are just kinda boring and there is nothing new to snark about.   

Two words: Jill Rodrigues. She is a bottomless pit of snark that makes the Duggars seem dull. There are tons of new things to snark on in the other forums. Come join us!

Two words: Jill Rodrigues. She is a bottomless pit of snark that makes the Duggars seem dull. There are tons of new things to snark on in the other forums. Come join us!

I just might do that......I'll probably lurk around for now.  (I need to learn a bit first.).    

I do do have to say though.....FJ is pretty darn entertaining!!!

thanx FJ.    

Well, yeah, I guess so. But then that would be in pretty stark contrast to what the rest of her family believes. And we all know they think they have a direct line to God and clearly their theology is the only correct one..

and that is obviously creeping now into their lives with Ben and Jessa having to follow him without question 

the name just seals it - 

No worries. It wasn't directed at anyone in particular. I know people are still just learning about the name now.

And definitely take @formergothardite's suggestion on Jill Rodrigues - she is infinitely more entertaining than the Duggars. Just be prepared to use your worst swear words. She has that effect on people. :pb_lol:

Hope I'm not the only one that thought of Nancy Spungeon (sp?) when I saw the name. I could just see little Spud (which I love as a nickname, by the way) listening to the Sex Pistols in tribute. :chi-yes:

Isn't it a little presumptuous to assume that you or your child are one of the Elect and have a super-special relationship with God? I feel like that's a little like making eye contact with Kanye West at Whole Foods one time and then trying to cut the line at a nightclub, insisting to the bouncer that you and Kanye totally go way back.

Wouldn't it be presumptuous to think you were one of the Elect?  

Do we think Ben thinks Jessa is one of the Elect (she was molested, lost her show, are these signs she isn't, they would be for puritans historically)?  Is Josh?  How can the Duggars deal with this extreme difference in belief?  

Are you referring to the video where Izzy is crawling on the floor as blanket training?  

Josh was a couple of years old when they started following Gothard.  I think he and the twins were spared the blanket training.  The other older kids probably got it in full force though.

I think Michelle said they didn't read the Pearl's book until right before the twins were born.  So Jedidiah and Jeremiah were the first ones blanket trained.  But I'm sure going from an already strict household to the insanity of the discipline level of the Pearl's was shocking to all the older kids.  Josh was about 10 I think when they were born.  It must've been a hard switch.

I think Michelle said they didn't read the Pearl's book until right before the twins were born.  So Jedidiah and Jeremiah were the first ones blanket trained.  But I'm sure going from an already strict household to the insanity of the discipline level of the Pearl's was shocking to all the older kids.  Josh was about 10 I think when they were born.  It must've been a hard switch.

Which twins though?  It always seemed to me like the older ones were super controlled (Jana, Jill ect.)

Actually, Jim Bob and Michelle connected with Gothardites before Josh was born and agreed to follow his teachings when they had kids.  

I always assumed ALL the kids were blanket trained. Especially the older ones since they're a lot less rowdy than the howlers. I just wonder if the sister-moms had to do the training or if Michelle still had that in her "jurisdiction."

I always assumed ALL the kids were blanket trained. Especially the older ones since they're a lot less rowdy than the howlers. I just wonder if the sister-moms had to do the training or if Michelle still had that in her "jurisdiction."

If the sister moms weren't blanket trained, how hard to you think it would be to make them to it to others?  Its one thing if that is how you grew up, or if you came to the conclusion it was best, but if someone else told you, now hit your sister, would they do it?

This times a million. So many fundie rabbit holes to go down on FJ, so little time!

• happy atheist locked this topic

Archived