IGNORED

Jessa, Ben & Spurgeon - Those Smug Seewalds

happy atheist

Guys, this is a free speech area and all. . . but don't you think it's time to stop making jokes about the kid's name? It's been close to a week now since they announced the name. Hasn't everything already been said and all the jokes already been made?

We get it. It's an odd name choice and I have no issue with people pointing out the theological issues with the name or the meaning behind why they picked it. But isn't it about time we stop recycling the same "Spurgeon sounds like a STD" or "It sounds like a sex act" type of jokes and comments? This is an innocent kid we're talking about after all.

VR, this topic is so massive that some members are probably reading/commenting for the first time. So, the snark is likely new to them. It would be good if they started reading at the beginning and they would then see how there is likely no new snarking on the name itself to be made. Some probably avoided the first thread due to the...ahem... controversy.

For what it's worth, I never snarked on the innocent baby, just the first name his parents gave him. The only comparison I made was to Sturgeon, and that was at the beginning.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Two words: Jill Rodrigues. She is a bottomless pit of snark that makes the Duggars seem dull. There are tons of new things to snark on in the other forums. Come join us!

FreeJinger has so many amazing posters.  I am educated, enlightened and enriched almost evey time I visit.

Thee most helpful, great, profound thing I ever read here were the words, "There are so many more fundies, discussions, and threads than just the Duggars.  Try it, you'll love it."

Best advice any Fj'er will ever get.

FreeJinger has so many amazing posters.  I am educated, enlightened and enriched almost evey time I visit.

Thee most helpful, great, profound thing I ever read here were the words, "There are so many more fundies, discussions, and threads than just the Duggars.  Try it, you'll love it."

Best advice any Fj'er will ever get.

I branched out to other threads and got a bomb stuffing recipe! Going to check out JillRod now.

If the parents had any compassion for that child but really wanted to use the name of Charles Spurgeon they could have named him Charles Spurgeon Seawald.    Even Elliot Spurgeon would have been fine.    

We can't say that they were high or anything.   Well, except possibly Kool Aid.......   

Still stay that it will be a good thing that this child will be home schooled - but only because his classmates siblings will have similarly weird names and taught that s/he without a funny Godly name can cast the first stone.  

VR, this topic is so massive that some members are probably reading/commenting for the first time. So, the snark is likely new to them. It would be good if they started reading at the beginning and they would then see how there is likely no new snarking on the name itself to be made. Some probably avoided the first thread due to the...ahem... controversy.

For what it's worth, I never snarked on the innocent baby, just the first name his parents gave him. The only comparison I made was to Sturgeon, and that was at the beginning.

Yes I realize that. I stated that in a follow up post to another poster who mentioned they had only just seen the name. Didn't mean to sound preachy or anything (sorry if I did!) - just hoping we can redirect the conversation a bit. :pb_smile:

Which twins though?  It always seemed to me like the older ones were super controlled (Jana, Jill ect.)

It was most definitely with the second set like I said.  It's in their book The Duggars: 20 and Counting.  Michelle says that she didn't hear about it until the twins were about 2.  She goes on to say how she wishes she knew about it sooner.

I branched out to other threads and got a bomb stuffing recipe! Going to check out JillRod now.

Yes - the Thanksgiving and stuffing threads (yeah, two!) are happy places...just don't get them mixed up and stuff your turkey with eyeliner and hairspray cans and after falling down the JRod rabbit hole.  That would not be safe or delicious.  

Actually, Jim Bob and Michelle connected with Gothardites before Josh was born and agreed to follow his teachings when they had kids.  

I thought JB&M connected with them when Michelle was in the hospital after she miscarried J'Caleb...yes? no?

Yes - the Thanksgiving and stuffing threads (yeah, two!) are happy places...just don't get them mixed up and stuff your turkey with eyeliner and hairspray cans and after falling down the JRod rabbit hole.  That would not be safe or delicious.  

LOLOL

The Duggars will always be my fundie first love, but its time to spread my wings! I do like the Sister Wives threads too, been watching them since the beginning. Only on second JRod page and already in amazement...what the actual fluck is wrong with her and her headship?

LOLOL

The Duggars will always be my fundie first love, but its time to spread my wings! I do like the Sister Wives threads too, been watching them since the beginning. Only on second JRod page and already in amazement...what the actual fluck is wrong with her and her headship?

When you're done there come join us in the Maxwell and Arndt threads.

I will! My winter reading schedule is set.

The Arndt family is a multimedia experience - you will have videos to watch as well.  (I feel like some predator trying to lure you into my lair...)

You need to come join us in the Miss Raquel thread too! There is a mystical orange penis ferret! There is so much fundie crazy and so little time to enjoy it all! 

You need to come join us in the Miss Raquel thread too! There is a mystical orange penis ferret! There is so much fundie crazy and so little time to enjoy it all! 

I haven't experienced Miss Raquel yet...I feel like you and I are fighting over possession of Silver Beach's soul like one of those old cartoon...you're whispering in her ear on one shoulder...I'm on the other guiding her toward the truth and the light... ;)

I honestly still can't believe they gave him this name for real. :56247953c05d2_32(6):When I first saw it, I thought it was some free jinger inside joke.

Me too!!  Please, it has to be a joke.

I haven't experienced Miss Raquel yet...I feel like you and I are fighting over possession of Silver Beach's soul like one of those old cartoon...you're whispering in her ear on one shoulder...I'm on the other guiding her toward the truth and the light... ;)

That mystical orange penis ferret does sound interesting though...

With the long winters we have in Metro Chicago, I can probably read them all!

I will lead her right down the path of unrighteousness! We have mystical orange penis ferrets, blatant plagiarism, not-boyfriends, the most ridiculous bucket list you could think of, a horse from God, selfies galore, and more bad fictionals than you can ever imagine! 

He is so much cuter than Israel (whom I still don't find cute. Not even a little bit in any of the pictures i've seen of him. Might be because he looks exactly like jimbob, or because he always looks half-asleep), but no amount of cuteness can hide the fact that his parents are awful smug youngsters trying to show off their "godliness" to the world. ugh. 

You named your kid Spurgeon? And acted like a dick to Catholics? And pimped your kid out to the media for money and fame? TO THE FLAMES WITH YOU.

I don't know why but I just clearly saw  Ben answering in my head  "Well, hm, yeah...." *blink blink blink blink*

I will lead her right down the path of unrighteousness! We have mystical orange penis ferrets, blatant plagiarism, not-boyfriends, the most ridiculous bucket list you could think of, a horse from God, selfies galore, and more bad fictionals than you can ever imagine! 

I know...all I can offer is the sanctimony of softball, family accents, wedding photography (both awesome and awful), eating pie with the elderly, and idols made of Pepsi.

But alas, I can't offer her the flash and glamour of your fancy orange penises.  Sigh.  I'm going to lose another one.

How can poor little Fishy (Spurgeon) be called smug?  How can a newborn be smug? Does he look down ( with his unfocused baby eyes) upon all other lesser babies with ordinary names like John and Luke?

The sins of the fathers are being visited on this child way too soon.

It's a certainty that he'll spend some time smug.  His chance to show who he really is will come when he's old enough to leave.  He'll be a golden child of a couple of self-centered kids.  I give him until he's five, and then we'll see him lording his Seewaldinesss over everyone.

If you used aerosol cans, the resulting explosion and news reports would make that person the talk of FJ. 

Nope. Calliou is still worse than Sponge Bob. I can't think of anyone worse. I'm amazed at how whiny kids get after watching Calliou. 

If Calliou was my kid, I would probably be in jail. 

Nope. Calliou is still worse than Sponge Bob. I can't think of anyone worse. I'm amazed at how whiny kids get after watching Calliou. 

Caillou is awful!

Very true.  My first exposure to Fundies was a group of Pentecostals and what not that my first roommate (one semester only) hung around with.  One time my roommate and I were walking to our dorm when it started pouring rain.  

The pastor for her church drove by and offered us a ride. In the car was his four or five year old son, who proceeded to lecture me because I was wearing pants (slacks) instead of a modest skirt.  I was mildly amused and looked at the pastor expecting him to stop the kid and apologize. (In my world, little kids didn't  tell older strangers how they should behave.  It is rude.

No one here will be surprised to hear that instead of stopping his son's mini-sermon, the father was nodding with a proud smile and an "out of the mouth of babes," look on his face.  I said nothing (I was brought up not to quarrel with people who are doing me favors) but I wished there were some less dramatic way of indicating my annoyance than insisting that he stop the car 2 blocks from the dorm and let me walk in the pouring rain.  

I told my roommate how rude I thought the kid and his parent, and she justified it saying that they were trying to save my soul.  I could see Ben and Little Fishy in a similar scenario one day. 

It will never cease to amaze me that they would actually hope to „save“ a single soul by being so extremely rude. I mean, I know by experience that they do believe it.

Considering, though, that basic knowledge of psychology would inform them that most people will rather not take a dork without empathy and without manners as their role model, I´ll probably never be able to really grasp it...

• happy atheist locked this topic

Archived