IGNORED

Jessa, Ben & Spurgeon - Those Smug Seewalds

happy atheist

There's something I especially love about those young men in the 18-24 age range who think they've got everything figured out and are doing the rest of us a great service by condescending to share their enormous amounts of wisdom with the world. And by love, I mean can't stand.

I have, like, five of them in my family. :angry-banghead: I completely, whole-heartedly agree with you. Although the sobering reality checks are entertaining to witness from afar. 

Random thought : In the Spurgey reveral Bin says that Spurgeon has an influence in "our" lives.  I call bullshit on the idea that Blessa even heard of him prior to meeting Bin.  Something tells me that there isnt a whole lot of deep reading in the Duggar household.  Boob doesnt strike me as the type of guy that sits down and thumbs through an book of old Calvinist sermons so there's no way that shit was in the house. 

Bin probably discovered him 2 years ago while studying for his degree. 

I vaguely remember reading about Spurgeon in some of my homeschool curriculum. But those curriculums were more extreme and designed for the super-fundies, which my mom intentionally tried to stay away from. So it's entirely possible the Duggar's used those same curriculums. In which case, they may have read one of his sermons or a mini-biography -- both of which are very common in homeschooling. But I seriously doubt it was more than that. 

A bunch of the kids (i.e. ages 12-16) that I grew up with would claim that their heroes were the Elliot's, Charles Spurgeon, Martin Luther, CS Lewis, etc, but couldn't explain why or tell anything about that person. That's a sign of poor homeschooling -- which is also pretty common, especially among the really big families. 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My husband has never heard of the Duggars and when I said that a crazy family had called their son Spurgeon, his only response was that it sounded like a reference to sperm.

I know...   I keep thinking of Sperm Seewald.    I know it is childish, but I can't help it.   That poor, poor kid.  

i think it will be fascinating to see how Spud's father reacts on screen because that will be some real ass shit and not scripted 

will we see him leave the room? what will we see :D 

While I agree with you, I cut them a bit of slack. Make no mistake, I think they're dangerous, but also quite deprived. Most of us grow out of that phase in which we think that we have the answer to life, the universe and everything, and if everyone just listened to us, it'd all be okay. Most of us experience our rude awakening, when we realize that no, we aren't the genius the world has been waiting for. And some just cling tighter to what they think they know, because the alternative is frightening to them.

I cut the young fundie men some slack, because I still hope that they will broaden their minds.

I cut them slack until they reproduce. You can be the biggest idiot you want until you are a parent. Then it is more important than you and no matter how you were raised it is your responsibility to overcome it and be a good parent to the innocent person you made.

i think it will be fascinating to see how Spud's father reacts on screen because that will be some real ass shit and not scripted 

will we see him leave the room? what will we see :D 

"Spud" is actually more grating than "Spurge" which shows you how terrible this name really is lol

About Charles Spurgeon and his claim to fame:  

His sermons are online so anyone who takes the trouble may read them.  You can also download some of them read aloud. One of them seems to be about people who can't understand what they read.  Ironic when you think of all these fundies.

But what really struck me when I started browsing is how much a die-hard "special grace" Calvinist he is. He has nothing but (pompous Victorian) snark for the believers in "Free Will," which he implies is something close to having no moral compass.  

Anyway, it occurred to me than in giving his son this horrible name, Ben may be expressing his belief that his son is clearly from birth one of the "elect."  The name reflects Ben's understanding of God's message about his son's salvation.  It is not just that the child is named after the religious hero but that the name is a sign of the child's relationship with the special grace of God.

As I recall, the Duggars are closer to the "Free Will" Baptists in that they see opportunity for repentance and redemption more than the strictly Calvinist strand of Baptists that Spurgeon speaks for and I believe the Seewald father at least subscribes to.  So we may need to start looking at Ben's "theology" as something different from the Duggar Fundieness. 

Anyway, we might consider that this name doesn't just mean the poor little See-fishy is going to be expected to be a boy preacher, but that he is supposed to be "elect" in some way that the hideous name represents to Ben.

His sermons are online so anyone who takes the trouble may read them.  You can also download some of them read aloud. One of them seems to be about people who can't understand what they read.  Ironic when you think of all these fundies.

But what really struck me when I started browsing is how much a die-hard "special grace" Calvinist he is. He has nothing but (pompous Victorian) snark for the believers in "Free Will," which he implies is something close to having no moral compass.  

Anyway, it occurred to me than in giving his son this horrible name, Ben may be expressing his belief that his son is clearly from birth one of the "elect."  The name reflects Ben's understanding of God's message about his son's salvation.  It is not just that the child is named after the religious hero but that the name is a sign of the child's relationship with the special grace of God.

As I recall, the Duggars are closer to the "Free Will" Baptists in that they see opportunity for repentance and redemption more than the strictly Calvinist strand of Baptists that Spurgeon speaks for and I believe the Seewald father at least subscribes to.  So we may need to start looking at Ben's "theology" as something different from the Duggar Fundieness. 

Anyway, we might consider that this name doesn't just mean the poor little See-fishy is going to be expected to be a boy preacher, but that he is supposed to be "elect" in some way that the hideous name represents to Ben.

i have been saying that from the beginning 

Meet Ben - the New Teri Shields

Sierra and Ben should just marry the kids off now 

they can post endless photos of spud yawning - but it's scary and it's scary that an innocent child is part of an agenda 

Too bad his middle name isn't Robert, then he could be Spunge Spurge Bob.

Spurge Bob !    Fits perfectly with grandpa Jim Bob's dufus name. 

Plus, they can name the next one Squidward (especially if it is a weird looking cranky baby)   Spurgeon and Squidward Seewald.  

I honestly still can't believe they gave him this name for real. :56247953c05d2_32(6):When I first saw it, I thought it was some free jinger inside joke.

Spurge Bob !    Fits perfectly with grandpa Jim Bob's dufus name. 

Plus, they can name the next one Squidward (especially if it is a weird looking cranky baby)   Spurgeon and Squidward Seewald.  

:pb_lol: "Hey y'all! We are so proud to announce that Qui-- Spurge Bob has a new little sib'blessing, this is -- meet baby Quetzal! We've been calling him that since we found out we were pregnant with him."

"Uhh huh. Yeah, his name is SQUIDWARD ??? Edward Seewald. And uh, why we named him that..."

i have been saying that from the beginning 

Meet Ben - the New Teri Shields

Sierra and Ben should just marry the kids off now 

they can post endless photos of spud yawning - but it's scary and it's scary that an innocent child is part of an agenda 

I remember others have pointed out that the Seewalds are Calvinists, and I had noted the discussion about Spurgeon being the name of a "boy preacher" but it hadn't sunk in until I started reading Spurgeon that what may be going on is this weird Calvinist-inspired concern about the signs that one is among the elect.  I wonder if Ben thinks Jessa is among the elect or if he is unsure ( after all, she is a bit bossy and her brother is... No, no, of course she is Saved and so will their child be Saved and the name will show the world jus how Saved ...)  

I agree, what they are going to do to that kid is scary--  even if they don't blanket train.

So, question, where did "spongebob" come from? I know it was before Spurgeon was announced, but I must have missed its actual origins.

So, question, where did "spongebob" come from? I know it was before Spurgeon was announced, but I must have missed its actual origins.

Did you want to know who or what "SpongeBob" is?  Full name is "Sponge Bob Square Pants".   He is a cartoon character, on Nickolodeon I believe.  IMO he's as irritating as hell.  

Did you want to know who or what "SpongeBob" is?  Full name is "Sponge Bob Square Pants".   He is a cartoon character, on Nickolodeon I believe.  IMO he's as irritating as hell.   

The worst! 

I think Sassypants was the first to bring it up as a possible nickname.  It's back in the Spurgeon thread so I can't quote:

Posted Sunday at 8:01 AM · Report post
I like Sponge Bob as a nickname.

(Australian time)

The worst! 

Nope. Calliou is still worse than Sponge Bob. I can't think of anyone worse. I'm amazed at how whiny kids get after watching Calliou. 

It has always struck me as incredibly odd that Jessa and Ben would end up together and they'd just pretend that they all had the same beliefs. When in reality, the Duggars and the Seewalds have very, very different beliefs. I do wonder how they reconcile those glaring differences in theology at home.

will we see him leave the room? what will we see [emoji3] 

Nah. They'll conveniently edit that out.

Also, I've decided that Spurgeon sounds like what happens when a surgeon leaves a sponge inside you.

Isn't it a little presumptuous to assume that you or your child are one of the Elect and have a super-special relationship with God? I feel like that's a little like making eye contact with Kanye West at Whole Foods one time and then trying to cut the line at a nightclub, insisting to the bouncer that you and Kanye totally go way back.

It has always struck me as incredibly odd that Jessa and Ben would end up together and they'd just pretend that they all had the same beliefs. When in reality, the Duggars and the Seewalds have very, very different beliefs. I do wonder how they reconcile those glaring differences in theology at home.

Do they have to reconcile them or does Jessa just have to go along with his beliefs?  

Isn't it a little presumptuous to assume that you or your child are one of the Elect and have a super-special relationship with God? I feel like that's a little like making eye contact with Kanye West at Whole Foods one time and then trying to cut the line at a nightclub, insisting to the bouncer that you and Kanye totally go way back.

It is indeed presumptuous--I wonder what St Peter at the Pearly Gates will say when Ben shows up claiming that he and Jesus go way back.  :kitty-wink:

Do they have to reconcile them or does Jessa just have to go along with his beliefs?  

It is indeed presumptuous--I wonder what St Peter at the Pearly Gates will say when Ben shows up claiming that he and Jesus go way back.  :kitty-wink:

You named your kid Spurgeon? And acted like a dick to Catholics? And pimped your kid out to the media for money and fame? TO THE FLAMES WITH YOU.

Well, yeah, I guess so. But then that would be in pretty stark contrast to what the rest of her family believes. And we all know they think they have a direct line to God and clearly their theology is the only correct one..

• happy atheist locked this topic

Archived