IGNORED

Jessa, Ben & Spurgeon - Those Smug Seewalds

happy atheist

choose what? choose between fight against the separation of church and state or fighting against xenophobia? i don't get it.

In their minds, it's choosing prayer always or forbidding prayer always. The nuances of setting and legal separation between church/state can't coexist in their tiny brains.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shouldn't it be Ben, Jessa and Spurgeon, if you're going by headship?  If it's by age, then it's OK. Maturity level, better put little Spurge first. He's at least acting his age.

I think Binbulb is supposed to be the headship but somehow I feel that if he doesn't do as Blessa bids he may as well be called  Rover. 

There's something I especially love about those young men in the 18-24 age range who think they've got everything figured out and are doing the rest of us a great service by condescending to share their enormous amounts of wisdom with the world. And by love, I mean can't stand.

I think Binbulb is supposed to be the headship but somehow I feel that if he doesn't do as Blessa bids he may as well be called  Rover. 

Yet we have been speculating that the name Spurgeon must have been his idea and was probably resisted by Jessa who had to give in.

In spite of her stronger personality there may be things where he won't yield.

Random thought : In the Spurgey reveral Bin says that Spurgeon has an influence in "our" lives.  I call bullshit on the idea that Blessa even heard of him prior to meeting Bin.  Something tells me that there isnt a whole lot of deep reading in the Duggar household.  Boob doesnt strike me as the type of guy that sits down and thumbs through an book of old Calvinist sermons so there's no way that shit was in the house. 

Bin probably discovered him 2 years ago while studying for his degree. 

We were discussing this in another forum I frequent. A Bad Person[tm][/tm] advised us that the nickname "Spurge" is reminiscent of "spooge."

Random thought : In the Spurgey reveral Bin says that Spurgeon has an influence in "our" lives.  I call bullshit on the idea that Blessa even heard of him prior to meeting Bin.  Something tells me that there isnt a whole lot of deep reading in the Duggar household.  Boob doesnt strike me as the type of guy that sits down and thumbs through an book of old Calvinist sermons so there's no way that shit was in the house. 

I love Spurgey, that's it! And @@EmCatlyn, BinBulb made me LOLOLOL.

It sounds like he was going to say "my" and switches to "our" in that video. I 100% agree that Jessa would likely not have been familiar with Spurgeon (or anyone much other than Jeebus and Gothard) before meeting Ben, but his family is Calvinist, whereas the Duggars aren't, as far as I can tell -- and, love it or hate it, Calvinists do have a slightly more intellectual tradition. (Baptists tend to be split about Calvinism, but the Seewalds are decidedly in the "yes" camp). I suspect Ben's dad was a fan of Spurgeon's sermons and so he picked up a book in the last couple years.

There's something I especially love about those young men in the 18-24 age range who think they've got everything figured out and are doing the rest of us a great service by condescending to share their enormous amounts of wisdom with the world. And by love, I mean can't stand.

I wish it were just the young men!  Number 5 daughter just 'schooled' me again, bless her little heart, on yet another issue close to her.  It's the age, I understand, but it gets a little exhausting after awhile. :kitty-shifty:

I wish it were just the young men!  Number 5 daughter just 'schooled' me again, bless her little heart, on yet another issue close to her.  It's the age, I understand, but it gets a little exhausting after awhile. :kitty-shifty:

Quick!  Hire her while she still knows everything.  She will FIX the world!

(Paraphrasing a plaque I used to have.)

My husband has never heard of the Duggars and when I said that a crazy family had called their son Spurgeon, his only response was that it sounded like a reference to sperm.

It's hard not to believe this was primarily (if not entirely) Ben's idea, considering he identified Charles Spurgeon as My Hero (as well as what Buzzard touched on) and was the one who had to state and explain the name in the announcement video, while Jessa looked on with her perfect, unmoving grin, clearly not about to explain this shit to the whole world. That probably has a lot to do with some gender role crap within their family that I'm not well versed in, and I'm sure I'm looking too much into it/projecting, but that video is just incredibly hilarious (and telling) to me either way; especially with moments like:

Jessa: "This is -- his nickname has been Quincy..."

and

Ben: "So, his name is Spurgeon ? (question mark, eyebrow raise) Elliot (eye roll b/c I'll bet this was a name on Jessa's list) Seewald, and, uhm... why we named him that? (deep breath because he's gotta 'splain himself through this one and clearly does not want to, keeps getting distracted by Blessa's "fuck you" grin whenever he tries to defer to her) Uh... "

No... but give him a couple years and he will, with those two for parents :pb_cry:

Very true.  My first exposure to Fundies was a group of Pentecostals and what not that my first roommate (one semester only) hung around with.  One time my roommate and I were walking to our dorm when it started pouring rain.  

The pastor for her church drove by and offered us a ride. In the car was his four or five year old son, who proceeded to lecture me because I was wearing pants (slacks) instead of a modest skirt.  I was mildly amused and looked at the pastor expecting him to stop the kid and apologize. (In my world, little kids didn't  tell older strangers how they should behave.  It is rude.) 

No one here will be surprised to hear that instead of stopping his son's mini-sermon, the father was nodding with a proud smile and an "out of the mouth of babes," look on his face.  I said nothing (I was brought up not to quarrel with people who are doing me favors) but I wished there were some less dramatic way of indicating my annoyance than insisting that he stop the car 2 blocks from the dorm and let me walk in the pouring rain.  

I told my roommate how rude I thought the kid and his parent, and she justified it saying that they were trying to save my soul.  I could see Ben and Little Fishy in a similar scenario one day. 

From the other thread I saw the nickname spud and I went oh tattie. I'm Scottish by the way.

so I'm going spud, tattie spurgeon (sp) and snickering sorry. 

They uploaded a video of Elliot yawning and omg he is so adorable how could you name a cutie like that SPURGEON OMG

Oh, my goodness... this baby is so precious. He definitely has Jessa's eyes and lips (and Ben's nose). I keep wanting to go, "Hopefully he'll grow into his name" but that feels really insulting. 

He's so squeaky! Be still, my heart. 

It's bittersweet looking at these babies knowing full well what kind of lifestyle they're about to be brought up into, and all of the toxic ideas and behaviors they will likely end up normalizing. :(

There is a cute pic on Ben's Instagram of Israel and Spurgeon facetiming - sounds so weird saying that as Israel and Spurgeon are such old fashioned names and don't r.ally seem to go with the word facetiming but it is cute

They uploaded a video of Elliot yawning and omg he is so adorable how could you name a cutie like that SPURGEON OMG

SO cute -- watch the one on Instagram, not Twitter -- only the Instagram one has sound!

Oh, my goodness... this baby is so precious. He definitely has Jessa's eyes and lips (and Ben's nose). I keep wanting to go, "Hopefully he'll grow into his name" but that feels really insulting. 

It's bittersweet looking at these babies knowing full well what kind of lifestyle they're about to be brought up into, and all of the toxic ideas and behaviors they will likely end up normalizing. :(

I have to NOT watch/look at any more of those photos/videos.  I've finally stopped asking my kids when my g'kids are coming, I won't be able to refrain with squeaking going on!

I thought Jill went overboard on those mittens for Israel, but Jessa REALLY needs to cover little Spud's nails.  

While I agree with you, I cut them a bit of slack. Make no mistake, I think they're dangerous, but also quite deprived. Most of us grow out of that phase in which we think that we have the answer to life, the universe and everything, and if everyone just listened to us, it'd all be okay. Most of us experience our rude awakening, when we realize that no, we aren't the genius the world has been waiting for. And some just cling tighter to what they think they know, because the alternative is frightening to them.

I cut the young fundie men some slack, because I still hope that they will broaden their minds.

I may have to put my snark aside for a moment. Dear lord this baby is adorable. I'm going to put aside the fact that he will be brought up by an anti-Catholic manchild and constantly pimped out to whatever tabloid outlet is willing to cut his parents a check, and just enjoy how adorable he is right now.

I really love the picture of Spungeon in the winter cap. But then I read the caption and realized... something isn't right! So I fixed it:

... I'm terrible. (And I know before: super bad paint edit. lol)

spungeon.png

I've started thinking of the baby as Spelliot (didn't intend to, just happened).

What would Ben have done if his hero's name had been Dickwit, Mucus, or Pansy vs. Spurgeon?

I've started thinking of the baby as Spelliot (didn't intend to, just happened).

What would Ben have done if his hero's name had been Dickwit, Mucus, or Pansy vs. Spurgeon?

Found another hero, no doubt.

On Bin's twitter he quoted the following from Benjamin Watson (New Orleans Saint TE) "As a nation we have collectively prayed for Paris this week, yet as a nation we suspend a football coach for praying after a game...we must choose."

Bin is such a doofus. I hate when people use a tragedy to promote an agenda that is completely unrelated.

If Bin's parents are anything like Boob and DQ, the apple didn't fall far from the tree. Remember how the Duggars used the Holocaust to talk about abortion? Disgusting, in both cases.

• happy atheist locked this topic

Archived