IGNORED

Jessa, Ben & Spurgeon - Those Smug Seewalds

happy atheist

26 minutes ago, Valerie3kids said:

I agree and I can understand about bring insecure. But, I feel he is using his insecurities to almost bully others into believing he is something he is not. Not all can be ministers. Nothing wrong with that. Not all can be nurses or teachers. I think he has this thought stuck in his head that he is going to be a famous minister and is forcing the issue no matter how it looks to others. I am sure he has never thought of learning a trade and ministering by setting a good Godly example for others. That would be way too easy and he would have to leave the house to work. Maybe with maturity he will make some changes but I am not sure if he can now that he has tasted the spotlight.

I would hope he grows the hell up really soon (but that's looking less and less likely), but he seems like a lot of 19-year-olds I know (I know he's 20 but I don't think his brain knows that yet) and the 19-year-old I once was (to my everlasting shame): I wanna change the world and be an important voice and have everyone listen to me and follow my teachings because I totally know best! ...Wait, I have to earn qualifications and listen to other points of view and work my way up in the workplace and gain life experience and stuff? Screw all that, I'll just make a blog!

The difference between me and Ben is that I learned that all that stuff you need to do to become a credible voice and agent for change are all actually important and can be quite fun, but he has people writing him checks for having a functioning penis. I'm sure that to him, learning and growing as an individual seems rather pointless. Why cultivate myself and be an example to others through good works and learning when I can just write some crap on Instagram and get a fat check from TLC for existing?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We never get a sermon without an explanation of the history at that time, and the different ways a word can be translated. Our priests are educated, and one was a lawyer before she became a priest.  Is Benny boy willing to put that much time into education, or does he just think that parroting other people's thoughts will be enough?

How come some people who are very entrenched in ATI and Gothard, [think people like the Paines, Websters and Bates] are A-OK with adults working for others to support their families, while JB Duggar and crew are not allowed to do so and place this belief on Gothard's principles?

Until JB is very deeply in the need of money, I do not believe any Duggar will be working for a tradition company that is not associated with the name "Duggar."

The person who recently made the comment that the Bates worship at the ATI/Gothard altar, while the Duggars worship at the altar of the JB cult was spot on correct. I truly believe this is why NONE of the Duggars have entered relationships with Gothard or ATI royalty. Others can see JB's ways and others did know some of the family's worst secrets.

9 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

We never get a sermon without an explanation of the history at that time, and the different ways a word can be translated. Our priests are educated, and one was a lawyer before she became a priest.  Is Benny boy willing to put that much time into education, or does he just think that parroting other people's thoughts will be enough?

He thinks because he is 20, married a hot chick, has been on TV and stuck his P in her V and successfully procreated that he IS successful, and worthy of fame and easy money. Studying and working for years to learn a skill, build a positive reputation and finally cresting the hill is for suckers.

2 hours ago, Valerie3kids said:

I agree and I can understand about bring insecure. But, I feel he is using his insecurities to almost bully others into believing he is something he is not. Not all can be ministers. Nothing wrong with that. Not all can be nurses or teachers. I think he has this thought stuck in his head that he is going to be a famous minister and is forcing the issue no matter how it looks to others. I am sure he has never thought of learning a trade and ministering by setting a good Godly example for others. That would be way too easy and he would have to leave the house to work. Maybe with maturity he will make some changes but I am not sure if he can now that he has tasted the spotlight.

I agree. I especially get this vibe when I see his YT videos of him playing interviewer...

I agree with all of the above about Ben.
I am an atheist but I had a boss once at my work who was extremely religious, was very kind hearted, accepted anyone, and you could always turn to. He was a great speaker and is involved in his church as a sort of person they could come to talk to? Anyways, turns out he was into stealing and got arrested a few times when he was in his teenage years and religion is how he turned his life around. He has a low point to connect to others.

The point of that is... Ben has nothing. He does nothing but judge people. He has done nothing to help people in any way, he is a horrible speaker, he has zero sympathy it appears, and no work ethic. Go out there and help people in a real setting besides sounding drugged up while talking to someone.

On November 16, 2015 at 6:40:27 PM, EmCatlyn said:

Found another hero, no doubt.

He just wants to portray himself as what he thinks an intellectual is--the more obscure the reference, the smarter you must be. Like people who name their dogs Robespierre or Gilgamesh.

Ben acts like a tiddy baby (redneck speak for immature, not a misogynistic term) , it's that simple.

Something tells me that the first Seewald daughter will have a holier than thou virtue name.  Something along the lines of 'Purity Grace."

2 hours ago, SassyPants said:

How come some people who are very entrenched in ATI and Gothard, [think people like the Paines, Websters and Bates] are A-OK with adults working for others to support their families, while JB Duggar and crew are not allowed to do so and place this belief on Gothard's principles?

Until JB is very deeply in the need of money, I do not believe any Duggar will be working for a tradition company that is not associated with the name "Duggar."

The person who recently made the comment that the Bates worship at the ATI/Gothard altar, while the Duggars worship at the altar of the JB cult was spot on correct. I truly believe this is why NONE of the Duggars have entered relationships with Gothard or ATI royalty. Others can see JB's ways and others did know some of the family's worst secrets.

He thinks because he is 20, married a hot chick, has been on TV and stuck his P in her V and successfully procreated that he IS successful, and worthy of fame and easy money. Studying and working for years to learn a skill, build a positive reputation and finally cresting the hill is for suckers.

are we sure that he stuck his p into her v 

:D - could have been artificial implementation

Ben can't learn anything he would rather work out 

even in regular posts - he comes across as a boy who doesn't have an original thought  

1 hour ago, 19 cats and counting said:

Something tells me that the first Seewald daughter will have a holier than thou virtue name.  Something along the lines of 'Purity Grace."

I agree.  How about Benevolence Elisabeth?  They could call her Ben.  I think he'd like that.

2 hours ago, hollywood said:

I agree with all of the above about Ben.
I am an atheist but I had a boss once at my work who was extremely religious, was very kind hearted, accepted anyone, and you could always turn to. He was a great speaker and is involved in his church as a sort of person they could come to talk to? Anyways, turns out he was into stealing and got arrested a few times when he was in his teenage years and religion is how he turned his life around. He has a low point to connect to others.

The point of that is... Ben has nothing. He does nothing but judge people. He has done nothing to help people in any way, he is a horrible speaker, he has zero sympathy it appears, and no work ethic. Go out there and help people in a real setting besides sounding drugged up while talking to someone.

I wish I could like this a hundred times. It sums up everything about Ben that gets under my skin. I am also an atheist, though I was raised in a family of fervent Southern Baptists, and while I don't share the beliefs of my family, I respect and support them 100% because they use their faith as encouragement to help others, and would never judge anyone for not sharing their beliefs. Ben is a pompous blowhard with an "agree with me or go to hell" mentality. 

I would just like to know how high the sanctimonious first-born child naming is going to go in this family. We may not make it to little Josie before one of the J-slaves just outright names a kid "God." 

Styled as "Jod" with a G sound. Got to keep the theme!

Actually, for Fundies, the Duggars have kept their kids' names very tame.  

Anna's sister Priscilla and husband David named their daughter Davia.  I know what you're thinking "They just wanted to name their kid after the father!"  Sure, sure.  But Davia is child #2.  Their eldest is a son.  Named Paul.

David Waller's favored companion named his daughter Sauntina.  Sauntina LaVerle.  But that's nothing.

There is a family with a Mercy Fire, Vision O'YHWH, Destiny Divine, and Jerusalem Song.

And lets not forget Heistheway White!

If Ben and the Duggars want to REALLY join the race, they need to up their game!  Maybe Catholicsarewrong Seewald?  Praycation Dillard?  I think "Youregoingtohell" really has a nice ring to it.  For some girls, maybe Modesty Isthebest? Or Truly Christian?

(to be fair, it isn't just Fundies.  I think Saint West sounds like a Caribbean island.)

21 minutes ago, Georgiana said:

Anna's sister Priscilla and husband David named their daughter Davia.  I know what you're thinking "They just wanted to name their kid after the father!"  Sure, sure.  But Davia is child #2.  Their eldest is a son.  Named Paul.

David Waller's favored companion named his daughter Sauntina.  Sauntina LaVerle.  But that's nothing.

There is a family with a Mercy Fire, Vision O'YHWH, Destiny Divine, and Jerusalem Song.

If Ben and the Duggars want to REALLY join the race, they need to up their game!  Maybe Catholicsarewrong Seewald?  Praycation Dillard?  I think "Youregoingtohell" really has a nice ring to it.  For some girls, maybe Modesty Isthebest? Or Truly Christian?

(to be fair, it isn't just Fundies.  I think Saint West sounds like a Caribbean island.)

What the everloving hell ... :5624795ae05d4_32(26):

8 hours ago, 19 cats and counting said:

Purity Grace is still much better than Spurgeon Elliot, at least you don't start thinking about fish and a sponge bath. Purity Grace sounds like the name of an African woman (I know a Happiness and a Princess).

11 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

If there's anything I've learned from my first semester of studying sociolinguistics and education, it's that context is everything. Just because something happens or works in one way in this one place and time period doesn't mean it's going to be that way everywhere all the time. Ben doesn't care about context. Something made sense or was relevant in 1890s Britain or 0 AD Judea? Still completely relevant as is and in its most literal form today! No need to understand history or the development of different philosophies!

Ben, like I mentioned before, is insecure and lazy. He'll just parrot what other people have said because he knows that going out and actually learning and educating himself would mean hearing ideas and concepts that would challenge his worldview, which he desperately wants to be completely unassailable. But at the same time, he knows he has to sound credible, so he'll just repeat what much smarter people have said without thinking about context or anything like that. Also, keep in mind that while he isn't ATI/IBLP, like Jessa, he was likely raised to believe that education = rote memorization and parroting what the Bible/certain Fundamentalist thinkers have to say on certain matters.

5 hours ago, Georgiana said:

I was just watching a doco last night on a local fundy commune set up called Gloriavale. They are quiverfull and eagerly awaiting the second coming. At the end they had a montage of all the little kids saying their names. They were all along the lines of Obedience, Cheerful, Conviction, Delightful, Blest, Meek and Believing. The worst were Fruitful (a little girl, naturally) and Precious. All of those are (IMO) a good deal worse than Israel, and at least on par with Spurgeon.

I think Heistheway has to be the worst fundy name ever though. Imagine trying to be taken seriously in the secular world with a name like that.

12 hours ago, 19 cats and counting said:

Or something with Pearl in it.

I'm a big fan of classic American lit, and The Scarlet Letter is a favorite book of mine. I love that Hester Prynne named her daughter Pearl (as her daughter was truly her only treasure, one that came at a great price but was well worth the sacrifice), and I would have loved to name a daughter of mine Ivy Pearl...but the taint that Michael and Debi Pearl have permeated into my mind with anything that has to do with them and/or their heinous teachings has completely ruined that name for me.

On 11/18/2015 at 10:42 PM, HeadshipRegent said:

calliou, the little bear and emily-elizabeth from clifford were the most annoying child characters in tv history, imo.

Throw in Daniel the Tiger. I watched one episode of that show and wanted to bang my head against the wall. 

On 11/18/2015 at 10:42 PM, HeadshipRegent said: calliou, the little bear and emily-elizabeth from clifford were the most annoying child characters in tv history, imo.

Throw in Daniel the Tiger. I watched one episode of that show and wanted to bang my head against the wall. 

Also, dorky the explorer and little bill. God those two were the worst. I was often forced to watch "little butthead" in school at lunch time till someone finally took pity and let us switch to Flintstones.

34 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

I don't mind Daniel Tiger too much. Sometimes the message from each episode comes in handy. I always sing "keep on trying you'll get better" whenever my daughter get's frustrated with something.

I can't stand Sheriff Callie, Dora the Explorer, or Strawberry Shortcake.

2 minutes ago, Ali said:

I can't stand Sheriff Callie

Sheriff Callie is awful, so is the new one - PJ Masks. At first I thought it was kind of cute, but they use the same 2 annoying villains over and over. It's ridiculous.

Daniel the Tiger and Dora the Explorer are some of my daughter's favorites so I am quite sick of them. I still don't hate them as much as In the Night Garden and Teletubbies they get on my nerves so much. My daughter loves Napkin Man as well, not a favorite, it is just so wholesome and educational to the point of making me sick.

There's some shows my kid watches that I don't get sick of. I'm fine with Yo Gabba Gabba, Jake and the Neverland Pirates, and Mickey Mouse Clubhouse. I've never had a problem with those. I'm glad mine is starting to get more into watching movies now. His current favorite is Spirited Away, which I never get sick of watching. 

On 11/18/2015 at 11:15 PM, JuicyDuggar said:

Lol I love the Caillou hate in this thread. I've always been curious why the little fucker is bald. And then we've got mom and dad who have the same haircut.  

I always say the parents look like siblings. :D And I'm another who banned my kids from watching after their whining increased exponentially upon exposure. 

• happy atheist locked this topic

Archived