IGNORED

Jessa, Ben & Spurgeon - Those Smug Seewalds

happy atheist

6 minutes ago, nastyhobbitses said:

Haha, thanks! It's partially from my love of Lord of the Rings, and partially because the running joke among my friends is that I'm actually a hobbit (under 5 feet, kinda hairy, love food, have a love-hate relationship with adventures).

Do you like rings too?  LOL.

I love LOTR also and that's how I noted the name. 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Because aunties generally love holding their baby nieces and nephews and parents are grateful for the reprieve? In my family, if you walk into a family member's house with a baby you won't be holding your baby for the entire time you're there. I really don't see anything problematic with Joy always holding the Spurge. It's nothing like when Joy was 8 and carrying a baby sibling on her back. 

I used to steal my little baby cousins at family gatherings all the time. Now that I have a kiddo And those baby cousins are teens I just go ahead and let them steal him.

11 minutes ago, Dandruff said:

Has Jessa referred to the baby as "Spurgeon" yet?

I don't know but she does tag him as #babyqunicy on instagram. Why didn't they just name him that? Qunicy Elliot is a cute name. 

2 hours ago, nastyhobbitses said:

This. In my family, at big gatherings, just about everyone but mom is going to be holding and playing with and fussing over a baby. It's just a way of showing love and bonding with your new niece/nephew/sibling/cousin/grandchild. When I was a preteen, you'd have to pry my baby cousins from my cold dead hands -- I loved playing with and holding them so much. I'm willing to bet that a lot of the baby-passing we're seeing is just run-of-the-mill OMG YAY NEW BABBIEZ and not Sister Moms 2.0 (though I will not be a smidgeon surprised if Mackynzie is put to work in a couple of years and Spurgeon and Israel's sisters become the next generation of J Slaves for their younger siblings).

My mom and I are always fighting over who gets to hold my niece (her granddaughter) at family gatherings.  I love auntie time with my nieces.

As for Mackynzie becoming a J slave 2.0.  Yes I see that, but right now Johannah and Jennifer are ripe for the picking for sister mom 2.0 (how many times have we seen Johannah holding Meredith?).   Remember Jilly Muffin volunteered as tribute sister mom when Joy was born.  

1 minute ago, 19 cats and counting said:

My mom and I are always fighting over who gets to hold my niece (her granddaughter) at family gatherings.  I love auntie time with my nieces.

As for Mackynzie becoming a J slave 2.0.  Yes I see that, but right now Johannah and Jennifer are ripe for the picking for sister mom 2.0 (how many times have we seen Johannah holding Meredith?).   Remember Jilly Muffin volunteered as tribute sister mom when Joy was born.  

We used to do it with my niece. Now she is old enough to choose who holds her. Usually that honour goes to the person sstanding closest to the food. :pb_lol:

30 minutes ago, Fundie Bunny said:

We used to do it with my niece. Now she is old enough to choose who holds her. Usually that honour goes to the person sstanding closest to the food. :pb_lol:

Smart kid, haha. One of my little cousins likes to dictate where each person sits when we get together. I'm honored she sits me with her or her little sister. At family gatherings I would always steal the baby to cuddle/play. I've also had the baby's mom just hand over the baby once I walked in to door, haha. There haven't been any new babies in my extended family for years, but a relative is pregnant! I can't wait to meet the baby...and fight tons of people to hold it.

3 hours ago, Dandruff said:

Has Jessa referred to the baby as "Spurgeon" yet?

yes 

on a post she posted two days ago on her instagram - no quincy 

and they are acting very quiet 

wonder what is up - unelss they are filming ?

3 hours ago, TuringMachine said:

I don't know but she does tag him as #babyqunicy on instagram. Why didn't they just name him that? Qunicy Elliot is a cute name. 

I'm not crazy about Quincy, but it's a lot better than Spurgeon.  My guess is they spent that first week arguing discussing the name in a spirit of Christian love, and Ben won.  I'd be surprised if he hasn't had some regrets by now - compliments of Jessa.

2 hours ago, Dandruff said:

I'd be surprised if he hasn't had some regrets by now - compliments of Jessa.

I'd be surprised if he had. Ben 'Smugass' Seewald is probably still convinced his child has a Godlier name than anyone else's. Maybe, maybe in 10 or 10 years' time when he enters the Embittered Failed Preacher stage of fundiedom, but not yet.

4 minutes ago, Cactus said:

I'd be surprised if he had. Ben 'Smugass' Seewald is probably still convinced his child has a Godlier name than anyone else's. Maybe, maybe in 10 or 10 years' time when he enters the Embittered Failed Preacher stage of fundiedom, but not yet.

Yeah, I don't think Jessa is openly going to give Ben a hard time about the name.  That is not the way she was brought up. 

I wouldn't be surprised if while they were arguing about the name, Michelle or some other Fundie wife advised her to yield gracefully but Do what she could to call the thing something else in everyday life.  

Passive-aggressive opposition is more acceptable in her world than openly quarreling. 

But give it ten years, folks.

Poor

Lots of mouths to feed

Sex is old

The bodies are older

No media presence

He'll be pissed, and she'll be mouthy.

21 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

But give it ten years, folks.

Poor

Lots of mouths to feed

Sex is old

The bodies are older

No media presence

He'll be pissed, and she'll be mouthy.

give it another 10 years 

poor and on welfare 

18 mouths to feed including pets

sex is out the window because she made him get a secret vasectomy that didn't work and her hair is gray  

the bodies are still old

she sells her story to the national enquirer about how she was forced to call her first born after a sea urchin because she was being blackmailed by him 

she started to smoke 

and Spurgeon is now the a hippie named Dwyane appearing on A simple Life 2045 married to Sierra's oldest daughte r

1 hour ago, EmCatlyn said:

Yeah, I don't think Jessa is openly going to give Ben a hard time about the name.  That is not the way she was brought up. 

I wouldn't be surprised if while they were arguing about the name, Michelle or some other Fundie wife advised her to yield gracefully but Do what she could to call the thing something else in everyday life.  

Passive-aggressive opposition is more acceptable in her world than openly quarreling. 

I think she was brought up to mess with the headship's mind in other ways, but to always appear submissive.  Brilliant Ben must have really been set on Spurgeon, He seems pretty devoted to Jessa, but he also has a number of controlling tendencies (remember him "claiming" her as she walked out of Jill's wedding with her attendant groomsman? He disrupted the tail end of the ceremony to assert his possession of her; that's kinda weird).  I'm sure Jessa has her own methods of revenge, but there was clearly a LOT of discussion and dissent over the name, which Ben loves.  

The honeymoon is over and the parenting period has begun.

5 hours ago, amandaaries said:

I think she was brought up to mess with the headship's mind in other ways, but to always appear submissive.  Brilliant Ben must have really been set on Spurgeon, He seems pretty devoted to Jessa, but he also has a number of controlling tendencies (remember him "claiming" her as she walked out of Jill's wedding with her attendant groomsman? He disrupted the tail end of the ceremony to assert his possession of her; that's kinda weird).  I'm sure Jessa has her own methods of revenge, but there was clearly a LOT of discussion and dissent over the name, which Ben loves.  

Jessa should watch My Big Fat Greek Wedding. I think she'd relate a lot to "A man is the head, but the woman is the neck. And she can turn the head any way she wants."

I would just like to know how high the sanctimonious first-born child naming is going to go in this family. We may not make it to little Josie before one of the J-slaves just outright names a kid "God." 

8 hours ago, PracticeMakesProgress said:

I would just like to know how high the sanctimonious first-born child naming is going to go in this family. We may not make it to little Josie before one of the J-slaves just outright names a kid "God." 

Have to admit that it'd be hard to stop laughing if Jill and Derrick birthed another boy in Central America and named him "Jesus" (with the Spanish pronunciation, of course).  For Benessa, they'll probably go with "Jehovah" somewhere down the line.  :my_angel:

8 hours ago, PracticeMakesProgress said:

It's starting to look like Jinger got off easy.

9 minutes ago, amandaaries said:

Have to admit that it'd be hard to stop laughing if Jill and Derrick birthed another boy in Central America and named him "Jesus" (with the Spanish pronunciation, of course).  For Benessa, they'll probably go with "Jehovah" somewhere down the line.  :my_angel:

I was JUST thinking exactly that when I read the above comment about naming their kid "God"...Jehovah. What a lovely J-name. I am suprised it hasn't made it as a middle name somewhere in there. I still can't get over Boob and Meechelle naming two of their kids Joy Anna and Johanna...it's just weird to me. 

On 12/4/2015, 9:38:09, EmCatlyn said:

I think you misunderstood Cleopatra7's point.  She was not accusing you of having an agenda. She was saying that the Catholic traditionalists who pretend that sports for women are something new and unladylike have an agenda.  And I understood her statement that Catholic women/girls played sports for "over 100 years" to be in agreement with your statement about the CYO in the 30s. 

Yes, I was actually agreeing with Catholic and NOT 'ebil.' I keep forgetting that very few people have much experience with traditionalist Catholics, because they are quite sectarian and don't like associating with those whom they feel are "heretics" (which is basically everyone). I've thought about doing an AMA about my experiences in Catholic traditionalism, but Ave Maria did one, so I think it might be redundant, although my perspective is from someone who left that milieu, as opposed to one who is still in it.

16 hours ago, amandaaries said:

I always thought the garbage Ben pulled at Jill's wedding was ridiculous. Why didn't he just pull out a club and drag her down the aisle by her hair yelling, "my woman"? It really showed his immaturity and then some. You don't interrupt weddings out of your own insecurities and low self esteem. He did admit that he had a jealous streak about Jessa. Why? Is she dating anyone but you?

So, then he shows his immaturity again by naming a child Spurgeon Eliot and thinking that makes his child more "special" than others. The boy has a lot of growing up to do.

30 minutes ago, Cleopatra7 said:

Yes, I was actually agreeing with Catholic and NOT 'ebil.' I keep forgetting that very few people have much experience with traditionalist Catholics, because they are quite sectarian and don't like associating with those whom they feel are "heretics" (which is basically everyone). I've thought about doing an AMA about my experiences in Catholic traditionalism, but Ave Maria did one, so I think it might be redundant, although my perspective is from someone who left that milieu, as opposed to one who is still in it.

I would be all over another Traditionalist Catholic AMA. Especially someone who's left the fold. 

Fundie talk is my crack. I freebase on extremist Catholics. 

14 minutes ago, Valerie3kids said:

I always thought the garbage Ben pulled at Jill's wedding was ridiculous. Why didn't he just pull out a club and drag her down the aisle by her hair yelling, "my woman"? It really showed his immaturity and then some. You don't interrupt weddings out of your own insecurities and low self esteem. He did admit that he had a jealous streak about Jessa. Why? Is she dating anyone but you?

So, then he shows his immaturity again by naming a child Spurgeon Eliot and thinking that makes his child more "special" than others. The boy has a lot of growing up to do.

Ben strikes me as a deeply insecure individual. Which, OK, I'm pretty insecure, but I don't act like I own significant others or plan on practically considering my future hypothetical child the messiah.

20 minutes ago, nastyhobbitses said:

Ben strikes me as a deeply insecure individual. Which, OK, I'm pretty insecure, but I don't act like I own significant others or plan on practically considering my future hypothetical child the messiah.

I agree and I can understand about bring insecure. But, I feel he is using his insecurities to almost bully others into believing he is something he is not. Not all can be ministers. Nothing wrong with that. Not all can be nurses or teachers. I think he has this thought stuck in his head that he is going to be a famous minister and is forcing the issue no matter how it looks to others. I am sure he has never thought of learning a trade and ministering by setting a good Godly example for others. That would be way too easy and he would have to leave the house to work. Maybe with maturity he will make some changes but I am not sure if he can now that he has tasted the spotlight.

• happy atheist locked this topic

Archived