IGNORED

Jessa, Ben & Spurgeon - Those Smug Seewalds

happy atheist

I know you posted this a while ago, but I needed to respond.

Do I lose my FJ privileges if I admit that I shop on that website? I have at least two of their cardigans and about five of their tank tops. Their tank tops are great for layering and not showing a ton of boob - and that make Husband happy because my boobs look fantastic in them. :pb_lol:

I own a dress from Mikarose and love it, and am currently saving up to buy a skirt from Shabby Apple.

We can sit in FJ lunch detention together. And talk about our awesome Mormon clothing finds. 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know you posted this a while ago, but I needed to respond.

Do I lose my FJ privileges if I admit that I shop on that website? I have at least two of their cardigans and about five of their tank tops. Their tank tops are great for layering and not showing a ton of boob - and that make Husband happy because my boobs look fantastic in them. :pb_lol:

I hadn't heard of the site before but I like some of their stuff. It all looks pretty "normal" to me. There's nothing about the clothing that would make me assume anything about the person's religious beliefs if I saw someone wearing it.

Basic layering clothing is pretty standard wear in my neck of the woods, more for weather-related reasons than concerns of modesty.

I don't know how it is in ATI, but the Catholic traditionalists I used to know frowned upon women and girls engaging in athletics, because they considered it "immodest" and "unlady-like." I get the impression that they thought that if girls played basketball or whatever, that they'd end up like the stereotypical mannish female gym coach, as opposed to the chaste "Mary-like" image of femininity they had in their minds. I think that for many fundies, ATI, traditionalist Catholic, or otherwise, the problem with sports for girls is not about skirts, since you can do lots of sports in a skirt, but that they regard sports as a "masculine" pursuit, and if girls start playing sports then it will simply be a slippery slope to them wanting to do other stereotypical masculine activities, and pretty soon they're questioning gender constructs altogether.

The Catholic Youth Organization (CYO) was founded in the early 1930's and both males and females were encouraged to participate in the sports. I'm 45 and my deceased grandmother played CYO sports during her youth in Mississippi. My personal experiences with CYO, and coming from a long line of Catholics, don't reflect any of your experiences with Catholic 'traditionalists' that 'worry' about sports participation making women appear masculine. I have NEVER heard anyone promote what you have described as a 'Mary like' body. And I'm a native and lifelong resident of the Deep South where a lot of us love to be prissy and feminine LOL 

I am not discrediting your experiences. Rather, offering another perspective. 

I don't think Baby Bin has realized that there is a little more to being a minister than memorizing the Bible. He, first of all needs to be a much better public speaker, which we have discussed before. He has to be able to look you in the eye. He has to at least seem like he knows what he is talking about. He has to be able to take a Bible verse and at times break it down and make it easier to understand. He will also need to deal with many people who are not having the best times of their lives such as death, divorce (yes, it happens), adultery, infertility  and I could keep going for hours. He has to have empathy for others which I do not see that ego filled child ever having. Most ministers are not paid what Joel OSteen is nor do they have the following he does. They are normal every day people trying to make ends meet. They are doing something they believe in and hoping they can make a difference in someone's life along the way. Plus, he can not come across as so damn condescending to others who may not believe exactly as he does. It will not go over well. At all.

Sorry, daughter of a minister and Bin just irritates me. So off my soapbox.. Sorry....

The Catholic Youth Organization (CYO) was founded in the early 1930's and both males and females were encouraged to participate in the sports. I'm 45 and my deceased grandmother played CYO sports during her youth in Mississippi. My personal experiences with CYO, and coming from a long line of Catholics, don't reflect any of your experiences with Catholic 'traditionalists' that 'worry' about sports participation making women appear masculine. I have NEVER heard anyone promote what you have described as a 'Mary like' body. And I'm a native and lifelong resident of the Deep South where a lot of us love to be prissy and feminine LOL 

I am not discrediting your experiences. Rather, offering another perspective. 

Like most (all?) fundies, modern-day Catholic traditionalists deliberately mis-remember the past to support their current agenda. As you correctly note, girls have been playing sports in schools and other organizations for over 100 years. I think the belief that women playing sports is "immodest" stems from a generalized backlash to feminism and women's rights that has nothing to do with what women and girls were or were not doing in the decades leading up to Vatican II or whatever one's benchmark event is for when America supposedly went to hell in a handbasket. The obsession with women wearing pants is another good example, since pants for women had existed since the 1930s, yet for many fundies, Catholic and Protestant, it's an example of a slippery slope to blurred gender lines.

Unfortunately TLC isn't really helping the situation because they are still dangling that reality show paycheck in front of Bin and Jesse's eyes, so any serious thought as to how to make a living and support a huge brood is going on the back burner.  As long as TLC keeps filming specials, Bin and Jessa won't worry their pretty little heads about a reliable source of income.

My thoughts exactly.  Cancellation of the show entirely, meaning no specials, just the end, while unexpected and not what they had planned, could have been the better option for them in the long run.  It would have forced them to give serious thought about making a living, because to date, neither has thought about it.  These specials give them reason not to consider other options for bringing in a paycheck and probably gives hope that the show will come back on a regular basis.    Hell the whole family is still clinging to idea that somehow, some way, they will make a comeback. 

My thoughts exactly.  Cancellation of the show entirely, meaning no specials, just the end, while unexpected and not what they had planned, could have been the better option for them in the long run.  It would have forced them to give serious thought about making a living, because to date, neither has thought about it.  These specials give them reason not to consider other options for bringing in a paycheck and probably gives hope that the show will come back on a regular basis.    Hell the whole family is still clinging to idea that somehow, some way, they will make a comeback. 

Absolutely. 

All I can say is, all the fertile, adult, married Duggars and their partners need to start using BC of some sort until they have established jobs.

Absolutely. 

All I can say is, all the fertile, adult, married Duggars and their partners need to start using BC of some sort until they have established jobs.

can we send them some BC in the mail - because I would be up for that 

Absolutely. 

Well, that's what I would do, seems like common sense, but when did we see the Duggars ever think things through? Hmm...almost die with the pregnancy, baby in NICU for months, I know, let's have another. SMH :pb_evil:

Why the hell is Joy is endlessly holding Spud in the new FB pic with the folks  - where the fuck is jessa - did we think that Jessa would be different - to a degree - but at the same time She is the her mother's daughter - you don't ever see them holding Spud = you see the sister wives doing it. - pathetic and disgusting 

Stupid  - doesn't surprise me - yet it shocks me

Like most (all?) fundies, modern-day Catholic traditionalists deliberately mis-remember the past to support their current agenda. As you correctly note, girls have been playing sports in schools and other organizations for over 100 years. I think the belief that women playing sports is "immodest" stems from a generalized backlash to feminism and women's rights that has nothing to do with what women and girls were or were not doing in the decades leading up to Vatican II or whatever one's benchmark event is for when America supposedly went to hell in a handbasket. The obsession with women wearing pants is another good example, since pants for women had existed since the 1930s, yet for many fundies, Catholic and Protestant, it's an example of a slippery slope to blurred gender lines.

I *have* no 'agenda, nor do I *mis-remember* the history of my religion. I didn't say anything about 'sports being played in schools or other organizations for over 100 years,' as you incorrectly 'note.' CYO sports, which is what I clearly spoke of, are extra curricular and 1930 was only 85 years ago, not 'over 100 years.'

I *have* no 'agenda, nor do I *mis-remember* the history of my religion. I didn't say anything about 'sports being played in schools or other organizations for over 100 years,' as you incorrectly 'note.' CYO sports, which is what I clearly spoke of, are extra curricular and 1930 was only 85 years ago, not 'over 100 years.'

I think you misunderstood Cleopatra7's point.  She was not accusing you of having an agenda. She was saying that the Catholic traditionalists who pretend that sports for women are something new and unladylike have an agenda.  And I understood her statement that Catholic women/girls played sports for "over 100 years" to be in agreement with your statement about the CYO in the 30s. 

I went to a Catholic school my freshman year, and all the girls played sports, pretty much. In fact, we were encouraged to do so. Gym class was very rigorous.

I've never seen that sort of traditionalist view point where I live amongst Catholics. Many are pro-life and pro-heterosexual marriage, but nothing like discouraging a girl to play sports. Maybe it's regional or something?

RC schools from K- bachelor's degree. We were all active in sports, and this from the early 60s-early 80s. Of course, I am from the liberal left coast.

Ben wrote on Facebook that wearing skirts, home schooling and courting are not Christianity and had a link to a Paul Walsh video. I watched a little, but stopped when he said he was faithful to his wife because Jebus.

I would like to think that Ben is starting to think outside the cult, but when you name your kid after someone who hates Catholics, I have my doubts.

I don't see how his comments, in the slightest, signal a shift against fundamentalism. If anything, it reinforces his smug views and, once again, is posted to show how much better he is at being fundie. I am not going to watch the video, but his comments are basically saying going through the motions and doing certain things aren't enough, you have to be radical. It is basically the same line of thinking as Jessa's "liberal christians are going to hell" thing, but instead of going after liberal christians, they are going after less dedicated fundies.

I don't know what's going on with you, but you're way out of line. By the way, these are the Catholic Traditionalists Cleopatra7 is talking about: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traditionalist_Catholic. So maybe don't be so butthurt and try to understand what she's talking about instead.

I don't know what's going on with you, but you're way out of line. By the way, these are the Catholic Traditionalists Cleopatra7 is talking about: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traditionalist_Catholic. So maybe don't be so butthurt and try to understand what she's talking about instead.

Thanks so much for the link! I had no idea these people existed [emoji46]

Why the hell is Joy is endlessly holding Spud in the new FB pic with the folks  - where the fuck is jessa - did we think that Jessa would be different - to a degree - but at the same time She is the her mother's daughter - you don't ever see them holding Spud = you see the sister wives doing it. - pathetic and disgusting 

Stupid  - doesn't surprise me - yet it shocks me

Because aunties generally love holding their baby nieces and nephews and parents are grateful for the reprieve? In my family, if you walk into a family member's house with a baby you won't be holding your baby for the entire time you're there. I really don't see anything problematic with Joy always holding the Spurge. It's nothing like when Joy was 8 and carrying a baby sibling on her back. 

Thanks so much for the link! I had no idea these people existed [emoji46]

If you feel like falling down a rabbit hole, here's Abigail Benjamin- she's trying to out Catholic the Pope.  http://www.freejinger.org/forum/303-abigail-benjamin-abigails-alcove/

she is a piece of work! why not wait until your children are a little older to devote yourself to becoming a lay Carmelite? my goodness.

8 hours ago, Alicja said:

she is a piece of work! why not wait until your children are a little older to devote yourself to becoming a lay Carmelite? my goodness.

Because Abigail has a deep-seated need to be a martyr.

On the topic of Jessa wanting an epidural, and being told she couldn't have one: I think it was largely because of $$$$. I am not convinced that she and Ben have medical insurance. I am sure he is considered self-employed or a contract worker. I can't imagine JimBob paying for insurance, And there is no way they would get evil Obamacare. 

These people are cheap and ignorant, the kind of people that won't take others advice and think that they know everything. That is why there is no professional midwife (that would be a waste of $, they can do anything in a skirt remember?).

Well, they are really stuck with medical bills now.

TLC picked up the tab. No doubt.

On 12/5/2015, 4:46:40, lascuba said:

Because aunties generally love holding their baby nieces and nephews and parents are grateful for the reprieve? In my family, if you walk into a family member's house with a baby you won't be holding your baby for the entire time you're there. I really don't see anything problematic with Joy always holding the Spurge. It's nothing like when Joy was 8 and carrying a baby sibling on her back. 

This. In my family, at big gatherings, just about everyone but mom is going to be holding and playing with and fussing over a baby. It's just a way of showing love and bonding with your new niece/nephew/sibling/cousin/grandchild. When I was a preteen, you'd have to pry my baby cousins from my cold dead hands -- I loved playing with and holding them so much. I'm willing to bet that a lot of the baby-passing we're seeing is just run-of-the-mill OMG YAY NEW BABBIEZ and not Sister Moms 2.0 (though I will not be a smidgeon surprised if Mackynzie is put to work in a couple of years and Spurgeon and Israel's sisters become the next generation of J Slaves for their younger siblings).

3 minutes ago, nokidsmom said:

@nastyhobbitses I just want to say I love your user name! 

Haha, thanks! It's partially from my love of Lord of the Rings, and partially because the running joke among my friends is that I'm actually a hobbit (under 5 feet, kinda hairy, love food, have a love-hate relationship with adventures).

• happy atheist locked this topic

Archived