IGNORED

Jessa, Ben & Spurgeon - Those Smug Seewalds

happy atheist

My 2 year old grandson loves Daniel. Fortunately my 11 year old grandson likes Dr. Who. Smart boy. I've also watched Gortimer Gibbons on Normal Street with him. (Amazon)

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, Dandruff said:

is it a bad sign when the mother of Spud won't name any names in her newest photo of a christmas stocking and just calls him #babySeewald 

personally I think it spells volumes - but hey that's me :D

19 hours ago, hollywood said:

I agree with all of the above about Ben.
I am an atheist but I had a boss once at my work who was extremely religious, was very kind hearted, accepted anyone, and you could always turn to. He was a great speaker and is involved in his church as a sort of person they could come to talk to? Anyways, turns out he was into stealing and got arrested a few times when he was in his teenage years and religion is how he turned his life around. He has a low point to connect to others.

The point of that is... Ben has nothing. He does nothing but judge people. He has done nothing to help people in any way, he is a horrible speaker, he has zero sympathy it appears, and no work ethic. Go out there and help people in a real setting besides sounding drugged up while talking to someone.

I wish I could have liked this more than once. This is what I was trying to refer to. The living of your life shows your beliefs and morals. Not putting on skits or preaching "at" people. Or shouting, which is something I have just run across at traffic lights - a man with a megaphone telling all are going to hell! Yep, sure makes me want to stop for a chit chat. Not.

He could be a good example and use his fleeing fame in so many better ways than he is. But, he is too egotistical and immature to see it. To really see anything outside his little homemade box. It's almost sad. It is sad in so many ways to watch someone so young be so stubborn and waste their talents, whatever they may be. Ministers do not work a 40 hour work week if they are needed. They can be called at any time of the day or night in times of trouble and sometimes happiness. I just do not see Ben having the type of personality to fit that bill.

All of you preschool tv hating parents should just challenge your kids with a show for slightly older kids. I'll watch Word Girl all day, every day, and I don't even have kids in the house.

13 minutes ago, nst said:

is it a bad sign when the mother of Spud won't name any names in her newest photo of a christmas stocking and just calls him #babySeewald 

I'm really hoping the kid pulls essentially a reverse Dweezil Zappa and insists on changing his name to Elliot once he's verbal.

(And for those not in the know, Frank Zappa, long known for giving his kids weird names, wanted to name his son Dweezil. The hospital wouldn't allow it (but apparently Diva Muffin and Moon Unit are totally OK), so instead Frank put Ian Calvin Euclid on the birth certificate and called his son Dweezil anyway. When little Ian/Dweezil found out at age 5 that his name wasn't actually Dweezil, he begged his parents to legally change it, which they did. Dweezil Zappa's legal name is now, and has been for the past 40ish years, Dweezil Zappa.)

Just now, nastyhobbitses said:

I'm really hoping the kid pulls essentially a reverse Dweezil Zappa and insists on changing his name to Elliot once he's verbal.

(And for those not in the know, Frank Zappa, long known for giving his kids weird names, wanted to name his son Dweezil. The hospital wouldn't allow it (but apparently Diva Muffin and Moon Unit are totally OK), so instead Frank put Ian Calvin Euclid on the birth certificate and called his son Dweezil anyway. When little Ian/Dweezil found out at age 5 that his name wasn't actually Dweezil, he begged his parents to legally change it, which they did. Dweezil Zappa's legal name is now, and has been for the past 40ish years, Dweezil Zappa.)

But Ben lives for this - but I do think it's kinda saying something that she doesn't use name 

plus they got a new sign above the fireplace which also speaks volumes

forever for always and no matter what 

hmmm seems some have gotten a touch of real life 

9 minutes ago, halcionne said:

All of you preschool tv hating parents should just challenge your kids with a show for slightly older kids. I'll watch Word Girl all day, every day, and I don't even have kids in the house.

We're partial to Magic School Bus here...even the 3yo loves it.

On 11/29/2015 at 11:44 PM, Catey said:

No knees, knees are bad. Bad, bad dirty knees.

I can see your dirtyknees. Everyone will!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

55 minutes ago, nst said:

I'm surprised that Mimi aka Ben's mum didn't get Mr Spurgeon embroidered on it since that's what she calls him on instagram.  

17 hours ago, Georgiana said:

Actually, for Fundies, the Duggars have kept their kids' names very tame.  

Anna's sister Priscilla and husband David named their daughter Davia.  I know what you're thinking "They just wanted to name their kid after the father!"  Sure, sure.  But Davia is child #2.  Their eldest is a son.  Named Paul.

David Waller's favored companion named his daughter Sauntina.  Sauntina LaVerle.  But that's nothing.

There is a family with a Mercy Fire, Vision O'YHWH, Destiny Divine, and Jerusalem Song.

And lets not forget Heistheway White!

If Ben and the Duggars want to REALLY join the race, they need to up their game!  Maybe Catholicsarewrong Seewald?  Praycation Dillard?  I think "Youregoingtohell" really has a nice ring to it.  For some girls, maybe Modesty Isthebest? Or Truly Christian?

(to be fair, it isn't just Fundies.  I think Saint West sounds like a Caribbean island.)

The all need to be honest and name their kids "Dollar Duggar" or "Best Christian Ever Dillard" or "Better Than You Seewald" Didi, Bessie and Bette. All girls.

11 hours ago, Yes, TOTALLY said:

I was just watching a doco last night on a local fundy commune set up called Gloriavale. They are quiverfull and eagerly awaiting the second coming. At the end they had a montage of all the little kids saying their names. They were all along the lines of Obedience, Cheerful, Conviction, Delightful, Blest, Meek and Believing. The worst were Fruitful (a little girl, naturally) and Precious. All of those are (IMO) a good deal worse than Israel, and at least on par with Spurgeon.

I think Heistheway has to be the worst fundy name ever though. Imagine trying to be taken seriously in the secular world with a name like that.

My first stop on the train out of fundieville would be at the SS office or DMV or wherever you change your name. Is that a boy or a girl? Because after having that name, I'd be going for like Bob or Susan. The most normal name out there.

6 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

There's some shows my kid watches that I don't get sick of. I'm fine with Yo Gabba Gabba, Jake and the Neverland Pirates, and Mickey Mouse Clubhouse. I've never had a problem with those. I'm glad mine is starting to get more into watching movies now. His current favorite is Spirited Away, which I never get sick of watching. 

Ohhh has he seen Kiki's Delivery Service? My boys went through a Kiki phase last year when they were just turning 3 and they watched it like everyday for ages! Looooved it. I was surprised, I'm not a huge Miyazaki fan, tho my husband is. I was actually surprised they sat and watched the entire thing.

11 hours ago, Yes, TOTALLY said:

I think Heistheway has to be the worst fundy name ever though. Imagine trying to be taken seriously in the secular world with a name like that.

When I first read this sentence I wasn't seeing it as separate words and was mentally pronouncing it Hice-thew-ae, so I didn't see what was that bad about it to make it the worst. I suspect that poor kid/future adult is going to run into that issue throughout life because people aren't going to be automatically looking for a religious statement in a stranger's name.  

2 hours ago, nst said:

Imagine being a new mother and really hating your child's name. 

Jessa's Life:

When she is molested as a child she is forced to forgive and share the blame. When she hemorrhages after she delivers a baby, she still can't veto a name she obviously dislikes.

She must keep sweet. And everything is going to be okay because she is following Jesus and that makes her better than everyone else... But she has to protect her molestor and she can't name her own baby.

30 minutes ago, EmCatlyn said:

Imagine being a new mother and really hating your child's name. 

Jessa's Life:

When she is molested as a child she is forced to forgive and share the blame. When she hemorrhages after she delivers a baby, she still can't veto a name she obviously dislikes.

She must keep sweet. And everything is going to be okay because she is following Jesus and that makes her better than everyone else... But she has to protect her molestor and she can't name her own baby.

Poor Jessa. I've always thought she was an INTJ, and as such, I hope she gets sick of the bullshit and rains vengeance on everyone who's done her wrong. Go Jessa!

1 hour ago, albanuadh_1 said:

I'm rather surprised to see Christmas stockings and hung by the fire! I associate them with Santa.

Me too. Did they do a tree?

1 hour ago, albanuadh_1 said:

I'm rather surprised to see Christmas stockings and hung by the fire! I associate them with Santa.

4 minutes ago, BackseatMom said:

Me too. Did they do a tree?

Are the Duggars opposed to Santa Claus as a pagan symbol?  

Duggar logic, pick the bits you like and don't worry if it's not consistent with your beliefs. Spurgeon was against Christmas because it was derived from a pagan celebration.

4 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Duggar logic, pick the bits you like and don't worry if it's not consistent with your beliefs. Spurgeon was against Christmas because it was derived from a pagan celebration.

Clearly no one has told Erika "Christmas isn't Pagan" Shupe.

12 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

There's some shows my kid watches that I don't get sick of. I'm fine with Yo Gabba Gabba, Jake and the Neverland Pirates, and Mickey Mouse Clubhouse. I've never had a problem with those. I'm glad mine is starting to get more into watching movies now. His current favorite is Spirited Away, which I never get sick of watching. 

I tend to dance to The Hotdog Song when Mickey Mouse Clubhouse is on.  I have watched episodes of Peppa Pig when no children were present and have done the same with Thomas the Tank Engine.  It pays to like or at least be able to abide Thomas when your grandson is crazy about Thomas.

26 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Yes, I knew Spurgeon was one of those.  But I didn't know Ben had read that part of his  teachings.

So, the surprise about the stockings is because Ben has been objecting to Santa Claus in honor of his hero?   Or is Ben objecting to Christmas?  

Or is it that we think he should object to Christmas to be consistent, even though the poor boy may not have gotten to "Why Christmas is not a Christian Holiday" in his edition of Spurgeon for Dummies?

48 minutes ago, EmCatlyn said:

Yes, I knew Spurgeon was one of those.  But I didn't know Ben had read that part of his  teachings.

So, the surprise about the stockings is because Ben has been objecting to Santa Claus in honor of his hero?   Or is Ben objecting to Christmas?  

Or is it that we think he should object to Christmas to be consistent, even though the poor boy may not have gotten to "Why Christmas is not a Christian Holiday" in his edition of Spurgeon for Dummies?

All you Duggar experts on FJ--I recall on an early special a big deal made about how the Duggars celebrate Christmas--you know the usual "keeping the Christ in Christmas" and not doing the whole Santa thing and I'm not sure they even did a gift exchange, but maybe they each picked one name.   In any case, there certainly weren't 15+ (and counting) stockings hung by the unfinished fireplace.  

So, although  Ben inconsistent with the whole Spurgeon hero worship, but not really knowing what the man stood for, it would seem he has managed to move Jessa one step further away from JB's headship.

I think a lot of large religious families do away with Santa for practical reasons.  When you have 15 kids, if you spend even $50 per kid, you're looking at $750...a good chunk of change you probably don't have on one income.  If the kids are getting gifts for each other or if you intend to give them gifts yourself...you don't have Santa money.  

Religion is just a good excuse to do away with something you can't afford without admitting you can't afford it.

• happy atheist locked this topic

Archived