IGNORED

Jessa, Ben & Spurgeon - Those Smug Seewalds

happy atheist

53 minutes ago, Pupalup said:

I think I've found Jessa's long lost twin. I believe she's a Victoria secret model or something.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

The 20th Duggar.. I knew there had to have been one to get away

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

Duggar logic, pick the bits you like and don't worry if it's not consistent with your beliefs. Spurgeon was against Christmas because it was derived from a pagan celebration.

Charles Spurgeon was against it, but Kirk Cameron made a whole movie explaining that Christmas is OK. Did Charles Spurgeon make a whole movie? I think not, my friend. Clearly his opinion wasn't so well-formed.

3 hours ago, Georgiana said:

I think a lot of large religious families do away with Santa for practical reasons.  When you have 15 kids, if you spend even $50 per kid, you're looking at $750...a good chunk of change you probably don't have on one income.  If the kids are getting gifts for each other or if you intend to give them gifts yourself...you don't have Santa money.  

Religion is just a good excuse to do away with something you can't afford without admitting you can't afford it.

Definitely with a big family there has to be a more careful budget, but I would think that money wouldn't be the main reason for not doing Santa.  Candy in stockings is not that expensive, and that could just be all that Santa brings.

I was just curious about the Duggar views on these things.  Consistent they are not.

4 hours ago, nastyhobbitses said:

Charles Spurgeon was against it, but Kirk Cameron made a whole movie explaining that Christmas is OK. Did Charles Spurgeon make a whole movie? I think not, my friend. Clearly his opinion wasn't so well-formed.

Their next child will be named Kirk Cameron. You heard it here first. lol

4 hours ago, EmCatlyn said:

Definitely with a big family there has to be a more careful budget, but I would think that money wouldn't be the main reason for not doing Santa.  Candy in stockings is not that expensive, and that could just be all that Santa brings.

I was just curious about the Duggar views on these things.  Consistent they are not.

Yep, I always remember the Jeub post about Christmas. They budget $300 and do one book, one gift, one stocking stuffer each. Then the kids make each other presents. The Jeubs are pretty awful (though their adult child escape rate is 100% so far) but I always thought that was reasonable.

12 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said: There's some shows my kid watches that I don't get sick of. I'm fine with Yo Gabba Gabba, Jake and the Neverland Pirates, and Mickey Mouse Clubhouse. I've never had a problem with those. I'm glad mine is starting to get more into watching movies now. His current favorite is Spirited Away, which I never get sick of watching. 

I tend to dance to The Hotdog Song when Mickey Mouse Clubhouse is on.  I have watched episodes of Peppa Pig when no children were present and have done the same with Thomas the Tank Engine.  It pays to like or at least be able to abide Thomas when your grandson is crazy about Thomas.

You know a little boy who's a Thomas fanatic too! That's all my boy wants for Christmas, aside from a remote control car lol.

Thomas rocks. We have the wooden Thomas train set that we got for our son, and he now has it for his son. Although some of it was Brio, but it all fitted together. He came home from uni one year and had the track all over the house and pushed the little trains around. You're never too old for Thomas.

6 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

@nastyhobbitses you  are so right,what was I thinking? I knew I should have watched that movie. :laughing-lettersrofl:

I just watched a recap review of it. Apparently Christmas ornaments represent the Fruit of Knowledge, presents represent the skyline of the new Jerusalem (after they kick those pesky Muslims and Jews out), and being a materialistic pig at Christmas is what Jeebus really wanted.

I recently saw that film. It killed me.That last rap dance number killed me. They even threw a black guy on it to show how accepting of others they are.

9 minutes ago, Fundie Bunny said:

I recently saw that film. It killed me.That last rap dance number killed me. They even threw a black guy on it to show how accepting of others they are.

I've seen less cringe-worthy attempts at rap on my middle school bus after 50 Cent's Get Rich Or Die Tryin' got popular.

Does Bin's brand of fundie like Kirk Cameron and what he believes in? I know the Duggars do obviously, we've seen that on the show...I don't know enough about their difference to understand.

20 hours ago, Mercer said:

When I first read this sentence I wasn't seeing it as separate words and was mentally pronouncing it Hice-thew-ae, so I didn't see what was that bad about it to make it the worst. I suspect that poor kid/future adult is going to run into that issue throughout life because people aren't going to be automatically looking for a religious statement in a stranger's name.  

I don't feel so bad now. When I first read it I thought Heistheway was getting snarked on because the parents didn't spell Hathaway. Why I thought Hathaway would be a fundie name I don't know :embarrassed:

44 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Had a teacher with the last name of Cowmeadow. He insisted it was pronounced coo-ma-doo.

Loooool. Way to Frenchify it. I suppose it's possible it was anglicized to Cowmeadow and the proper pronunciation was originally Coomadoo, but still.

I had a manager once whose last name was Lumadue but had been anglicized from L'Hommedieu. Could be similar (but at least his wasn't Loomeadow).

4 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

Thomas rocks. We have the wooden Thomas train set that we got for our son, and he now has it for his son. Although some of it was Brio, but it all fitted together. He came home from uni one year and had the track all over the house and pushed the little trains around. You're never too old for Thomas.

My boys also love Thomas. And those wooden train tracks are all compatible, so you can buy tons of off brand generic track on Amazon for super cheap and it fits with Thomas, Chuggington, Brio, etc!

15 minutes ago, withaj said:

Loooool. Way to Frenchify it. I suppose it's possible it was anglicized to Cowmeadow and the proper pronunciation was originally Coomadoo, but still.

I had a manager once whose last name was Lumadue but had been anglicized from L'Hommedieu. Could be similar (but at least his wasn't Loomeadow).

LOL this conversation reminds me of School of Rock with Jack Black where he impersonates his friend (as a teacher) whose name is Schneebly but he goes "it's "schneh-bleeeeh". It's french" :)

On 12/8/2015 at 2:05 PM, halcionne said:

All of you preschool tv hating parents should just challenge your kids with a show for slightly older kids. I'll watch Word Girl all day, every day, and I don't even have kids in the house.

My daughter was a devotee of Arthur and Deep Space Nine! 

So Jessa has used the hashtag #SpurgeonElliotSeewald ... First time in nearly two weeks! Must have picked up on the chatter here..

Hi Jessa!

I was thinking last night that we rarely see Jessa holding SES, and neither parent baby wearing thus far.

Wonder if they're too afraid to be seen using the wraps incorrectly? You know they probably have several of them on hand.

1 hour ago, SassyPants said:

I was thinking last night that we rarely see Jessa holding SES, and neither parent baby wearing thus far.

Wonder if they're too afraid to be seen using the wraps incorrectly? You know they probably have several of them on hand.

my 90's kid brain just totally read "SNES" LOL anyway...I do think it's interesting seeing how instagram-happy she was before the baby was born.... I think it's kind of weird (cold almost) to hashtag a picture of your child #BabyLastName ...to me it is. To me it seems cold. I get it if they use it during pregnancy if the baby doesn't have a name yet/they don't want to announce it yet but after the baby is born? Seems more like a brand thing to me. Not that I'm surprised. 

6 hours ago, withaj said:

"My names Joe Dirtay.....

Don't try to church it up son, you're Dirt"

• happy atheist locked this topic

Archived