IGNORED

Spurgeon? Jessa's Poor Baby Part 2

happy atheist

They totally named him Spurgeon for the publicity -- otherwise it would have made vastly more sense to use Charles. Note to self: don't name a child something crazy for the ensuing media coverage.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I legit did not see this name coming at all. I expected typical biblical name, perhaps one a little more rarer (naaman or something) but SPURGEON??? Awful. 

OMG. The name is just so much. They just have to be the perfect fundies who fundie better than any other fundie.

BTW, I called this. I called them going with an over the top VF style name ala Bradrick. I didn't know what they would do, but Spurgeon fits right in with Knox Defender, Loyal Cromwell, and Triumph Preserverence.

At least its not Rushdoony

P.S.  Me wonders now ... how long until JillRod decides to have #13 and imitate the heroes of the faith name???

Let's place bets on how quick the announcement will be.  :D

Like a Spurgeon, hey!

This made me laugh-choke on my tea!  This poor kid. They should have at least made Spurgeon the middle name. I do hope they call him Elliot and not Spurge or Spurgy. I have to say though, it was worth the wait! LOL!

I was going to address something from the last thread, but then all the Spurgeing distracted me!

Anyway

Historically it was unlikely for men to live long enough to have children if they had hemophilia (at least that's my understanding).  I imagine the life expectancy is better now.

This is true, but one thing that I think a lot of people don't realize is that the AIDS crisis was absolutely devastating to the hemophiliac community and pretty much wiped out an entire generation of hemophiliacs. Because hemophiliacs get so many blood transfusions most of them got HIV before blood started being screened for it.

Jessa sure does know how to get articles written about her. She succeeded in getting more articles a full week after the birth. Wouldn't have gotten that with a normal name. This kid is being exploited for every dime they can get, going as far as giving him a crappy name for life. Jessa and all the rest of the Duggars keep getting more and more disgusting.

Well, at least the chances of him running into someone else with his name are practically zero......

Or EVER finding a keychain and/or souvenir with his name on it......

Maybe they'll use the name like race horses do and it's just for show, not what they are called, they can call him Fred in normal day to day stuff...you know?

My first thought when I saw the name was, "Didn't Moody Spurgeon MacPherson grow up to be a Presbyterian minister in 'Anne of Green Gables'?!?"

Yes he did! :P 

well, I guess that is the opposite of anticlimactic, especially with a name like Spurgeon, holy hell!!

This is very true. It would have been a bit of a letdown if after all this time it was just something like Daniel Benjamin, but Spurgeon is... really something.

It doesn't look like Ben was too thrilled about the name. 

Why couldn't they have named him Elliot Spurgeon Seewald 

He never looks thrilled about anything. It's the allergies.

I screamed FISH, when I heard this. It was the name of a character in a moving from the late 90's it was either Armageddon or Deep Impact. The pilot of the space shuttle was named Spurgeon, and everyone called him Fish. Someone asked why, he said "1st day of boot came, Spuregeon/Sturgeon, fish, took less than a minute"  

I think the US needs a Ministry of silly names but they have to be approved silly names, like the silly walks.   

I screamed FISH, when I heard this. It was the name of a character in a moving from the late 90's it was either Armageddon or Deep Impact. The pilot of the space shuttle was named Spurgeon, and everyone called him Fish. Someone asked why, he said "1st day of boot came, Spuregeon/Sturgeon, fish, took less than a minute"  

There's a dent in the refrigerator due to someone hitting it after hearing the name.

Omg I am dieing at this comment! Thank you for the laugh!!! [emoji23]

• happy atheist locked this topic

Archived