IGNORED

Spurgeon? Jessa's Poor Baby Part 2

happy atheist

You know, CS Lewis was a pretty famous theologian. Even Lewis would be 10x's better than Spurgeon, or Luther after Martin Luther,  or Wesley after John or Charles Wesley, or Graham after Billy Graham. So many other possibilities and they go with Spurgeon. 

Yes, but those names could refer to things other than the religious figures they are associated with. They want people to know what good Christians they are. Even naming him Charles Spurgeon Seewald wouldn't accomplish that level of smugness.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haha oh lord. I thought Israel is bad. Are the Duggar kids in a competition to see who can have the worst choice for a first child's name?

I come home for a pre birthday escape and what do I get 

Spurgeon Elliot Seewald 

I just started to laugh OUT LOUD 

I have six pages on this thread and four pages on the other thread to read 

Jessa HAS OUTDONE HERSELF !!! 

he sounds like a tree 

This is the most horrible baby name I have ever heard, hands down.  Are they going to call him Spurg for short? Reminds me of splooge.  Splooge Seewald.

Here's my friend Spurge. 

Come here, Spurgie! 

I don't know. 

Haha oh lord. I thought Israel is bad. Are the Duggar kids in a competition to see who can have the worst choice for a first child's name?

Think of all the possibilities this opens up for future Seewalds...

Also, imagine what they would have named a daughter! Yeesh!

Spurgeon reminds me of Ferguson Darling, the young Republican younger brother on "Clarissa Explains It All." When I was younger, I would think, "Who would name a kid Ferguson?" and now I know. However, the parents on "Clarissa Explains It All" were ex-hippies who were still rather counterculture, while Benessa are real-life young Republicans who think the GOP isn't conservative enough. Spurgeon has to be one of the most unpleasant sounding baby names imaginable. When did this trend of last names becoming first names start, because I really want it to end.

Had to use my first post on this one!  What the hell kind of name is Spurgeon?  What would the nickname possibly be for this name?

Spurgy? Spongey? Spur? Splooge?

As much as I've tried to wait up for the new page title from Happy Atheist, i must go to bed now.

I have a 3-hour work meeting tomorrow morning.  Where I must appear halfway alert and somewhat rested.  They really wouldn't understand my FJ feeding frenzy or the maniacal laughter associated therewith.

Thanks for making my first night here the greatest!

Good thing the kid is going to be educated at the SOTDRT.

Saves the poor thing from being mercilessly bullied by his classmates over that name. 

With that name, poor Spurgeon is going to be teased even if he attends the SOTDRT.

OK guys, long time listener, first time caller.

I just can't handle how ridiculous it is that this poor baby is partially named after some dumb fuck missionary who was so ignorant about the people he was trying to convert that he got himself killed more or less immediately after making contact with the hostile Ecuadorian tribes that just needed Jesus in their lives. What better middle name to have than a constant reminder that stupid kills.

Does anyone else think Spurgeon's name was not announced until now is because the Seewalds and Duggars were begging Benessa not to burden the kid with that godawful name?

Or EVER finding a keychain and/or souvenir with his name on it......

My daughters name is unique but not weird, or unheard of, but she often signs things online "the kid who never had a keychain with her name on it"  She is, in fact the ONLY child in the entire district with her name, so I can put just her 1st name on anything for her and everyone knows who she is. 

And to think that we snarked on Mackynzie's name being spelt with a Y...

Man, who'd have thunk that Josh and Anna would have made the most conservative of the naming choices so far?

Does anyone else think Spurgeon's name was not announced until now is because the Seewalds and Duggars were begging Benessa not to burden the kid with that godawful name?

I second this. I think that's why they wouldn't even speak it. There's no way that they came up with Spurgeon on the fly. I wonder how many other people were called to try to convince them not to do it.

Man, who'd have thunk that Josh and Anna would have made the most conservative of the naming choices so far?

I second this. I think that's why they wouldn't even speak it. There's no way that they came up with Spurgeon on the fly. I wonder how many other people were called to try to convince them not to do it.

Finally coming out lurkdom for this....I just can't. Spurgeon? That's not even a thing. No wonder they waited approximately a million years to announce the name. They knew people were going to go WTF.

This just screams "look at me! Look at MEEEE! I'm holier than you! I'm SO HOLY that I gave my kid the ugliest name ever because that's HOW MUCH I LOVE JESUS."

Right? Mackynzie's name might be spelled a little differently, but it's still a normal name. All four of Josh and Anna's kids have such normal names, and then there's Israel and Spurgeon.

It's been over an hour since I found out. Already commented once. Still can't believe it.

They needed time to settle on the middle name? Really, Bessa?

As happy as I am that this baby isn't named James Robert Joshua Seewald (can you even fucking imagine?), this could just possibly be the worst name I've ever heard for a kid.

• happy atheist locked this topic

Archived