IGNORED

Spurgeon? Jessa's Poor Baby Part 2

happy atheist

I'm completely in favor of "all the help" one can get.
Both of my births were nasty pregnancies + complicated labors + c-sections + complications afterward.  
No help the first time, but I sure could have used some.  Both babies were colicky & screamed their little heads off and refused to sleep.
My sweet mama came for a few days the second time.  I remember sitting almost-comatose on my couch, terrified that my mother was leaving the next day.  I had to kick myself in the rear, pull on the biggest girl panties I could find, and suck it up.  Sure wasn't easy.  
Still don't know how I survived some of that, but we all do.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only time I've used paper plates was for little kid's birthday parties. And when camping, because instead of heating water to wash 10,000 plates, you can just throw them in the campfire :) super convenient. 

That said, I'm surprised that with 19 kids the Duggars are as wasteful as they are. I'm also surprised that they didn't at least grow their own vegetables and can them. A useful skill for everyone and a money saver to boot.

The disposable plates bother me so much.  I rarely use paper, such as if we eat outside, but the majority of the time its regular dishes.  My in-laws use Styrofoam plates ALL THE TIME and get mad when I take a real dish out to use (and I wash it too in the rare times I see my in-laws).  

Jessa is just waiting for the right amount to announce the name is Buzzkill France Seewald.  

I don't know why they need the help.  Many of us had hard labors (36) emergency c section and it was me and my husband that was it.  Not sure where it came from that they are sleeping while icky and Jana are doing the baby duty but come on Ben is lazy and he should be helping with Jess.  Nothing like making her look more like a princess.  If you old enough to have kids then get up and take care of them or let dad do everything but feed them.  Funny Michelle didn't even take care of her  own kids but now is the dedicated grandmother.  What will happen when they have a second child shortly after have the whole family cater to them?  Again speaking as one that had a second child 12 months after my first and a second c section and again my husband and I did it no help. 

I had some help with both my kids usually the 1st week, I had c/sections so when I had #2 it was nice to have someone take care of #1 so I could rest when she did.  I don't find it strange that they are getting help and I don't think it is lazy of them. This is Guinn 1st grandchild, she is super excited, and MEchelle, well she's just fecking nuts, but she loves babies. She loses interest in the grandbabies (and her own kids) once they start walking.  Yes Ben could be doing more, but he is a teenage boy, he doesn't know jack about babies other than how it gets here. 

Comments on stuff from the other thread that I'm too lazy to quote:

1. When people talk about risk factors and increased chances of x, it doesn't mean 100%, ok? It doesn't even mean the majority. A large baby? Absolutely a risk factor for pph. It's not a debatable point. I don't care if you and everyone woman you know who had a large baby didn't experience a pph. That's completely irrelevant. 

2. Mothers and/or sisters helping out with a new baby is so common in my family and culture that when it doesn't happen, it's remarked upon and judged. I know I have a hard time not viewing every Duggar action through the lens of their fucked up beliefs and family dynamics, but any instance of a sister helping out with nieces and nephews gets any automatic pass from me.

3. There's....fan fiction...about...Ana? And...other Duggars? WHO DOES THAT?! I'm all for fan fiction if that's your thing. Hell, I've read some fantastic ones when I dabbled in fandom. But people who write fanfic about real people are so over the line. Eww.

OMG - It's Spurgeon Elliott Seewald!

Methinks they should have spent MORE time on the first name!!

Spurgeon - named after theologian Charles Spurgeon

Elliott -- name after Christian martyr Jim Elliott

I shit you not!

The paper plates drive me mad! I can kinda understand if you're super lazy and have a giant family etc, but cooking for 2 people? Not much washing up involved in 2 flipping proper plates!

I'm guessing Michelle made them, as Jana would be on baby duty. 

I think the reason Jessa and Ben might use paper plates for "just the two of them" (though Michelle made the omelets, so who knows what they usually do) is the same reason that Jessa and Jill registered for approximately eleventy towels or why they purchase an illogical number of something for so small a family--they never intended for it to be "just the two of them." Jill and Jessa grew up in a mega family, and they expect to have families of an equal size themselves. A married couple or a married couple with only one child is a very temporary situation for them, soon to be replaced by as many little blessings as possible. They've never seen life any other way, so I doubt it ever occurred to either girl to make her life decisions based on any other plan than a very large family. They buy like their parents buy and live like they already have a dozen kids regardless of whether it currently matches up with their family size because it will eventually, right? They're impatient for a lot of children and are already setting their habits for what they are expecting. They aren't going to have time to wash all of those plates in a few years--why form that habit now?

So sorry to break the scoop!  I've been listening to My Big Fat Fabulous Life in the background -- and there they were!!

How does one coo to "baby Spurgeon"???

Watching my big fat fabulous life and that announcement came on. I literally had to rewind it because I couldn't believe what I heard. Spurgeon Elliott Seewald. Didn't see that one coming. Not at all. Poor little Spurge. 

Why didn't they just go with Charles Elliot??  They now sound like young people who name their kids stupid things.  I'm a teacher.... I come across lots of dumb names. 

I wondered, because I have zero knowledge in the heavy blood loss area...does a situation like what Jessa had make her more apt to bleed heavily again? Is that something that if it happens once than there is a good chance it could happen again?

I hate to defend JessaPrincessa and Bin (and totally feel dirty doing it it) but I actually fail to see what is so bad about the family of a woman who just a complicated birth coming around to help her in the first couple of weeks of her being at home with the baby. I know a lot of new parents have to just do it alone no matter how tired they are and new parents are not 'entitled' to anything from others since it is their child and their choice to have a child and their responsibility, but it's a nice thing for family to do and the kind of thing a lot of families do for each other if they can. Isn't that was family is for? Helping each other out when you can? 

When my brother and his wife had my niece, my mother took two weeks leave from her job, packed a suitcase and drove here (my parents live about a 90 minute drive away from the city my brother and I both moved to) and stayed with them for two weeks. She went to be an extra set of hands and some help to them while they were settling in at home with the baby. My brother had to go back to work the next day (his boss is a dick for many reasons, him being refused paternity leave is just one, he's looking for another job), so it meant my sister in law wasn't by herself when he was gone at work. It allowed my brother's wife to be able to get in some sleep and to take it easy while her body was recovering from child birth (she had a complicated labor that ended in an emergency C-Section because my niece was getting seriously distressed). My mother prepared them home cooked meals/do a grocery run for them so they didn't have to eat out while still getting settled. 

I know they really appreciated having her there and my mother also enjoyed spending time with her first grandchild. 

It never once occurred to me that it was 'spoiled' and 'entitled' or that it made my brothers wife a 'princess'. I just saw it as my mother being a really nice person and helping them out because that's what family do for each other. 

• happy atheist locked this topic

Archived