IGNORED

Spurgeon? Jessa's Poor Baby Part 2

happy atheist

Holy hell. Spurgeon Seewald sounds like a medical term for a rash you get on your nether regions.

This is the only time I agree with Jim Bob. Should have named the kid Jim Bob.

Dear Jesus, 

I know you and I have a very strained relationship, but could you do me a favor? Could you please work your magic and have these two attention seeking jerks use the name Elliott for their son? He does not deserve this type of nonsense. It is bad enough he has Jim Bob as a grandfather. Can you give the little guy a break?

Thanks in advance,

Mecca

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I cannot keep up with this thread so forgive me if this has been mentioned. 

But shouldn't it be SPURJEON?  Maybe SPURJIN?  I am shocked that Benessa do not know the proper usage of the royal "J."

Just remembered a classmate with the last name of Spurgeon.  What was his nickname in class? 
Spooge.  Here is the definition from Urban Dictionary:

n. slang word meaning semen

v. to ejaculate
n. 'He got spooge on his towel'

v. 'I love to spooge over a hot guy'
by vowelmeister November 25, 2003

Just remembered a classmate with the last name of Spurgeon.  What was his nickname in class? 

v. to ejaculate

I guess Benessa didn't think to check Urban Dictionary for possible nickname meanings for their child. Leave it to the people of FJ to do the work of the parents :P

From the People video/article: Ben was in agreement on taking time to really consider name options: "He is going to have this name for the rest of his life," the doting dad said.

Yeah, no...he will have it until he moves out and can legally CHANGE it. Poor kid.

My great-grandfather's first name was Horace. He never, ever went by it. He went by Bill. His middle name was William. He was never William, but he was Bill.

I hope little Seewald goes by Quincy. Quincy is kind of cute. He can go by Quincy. I'm going to pretend that Spurgeon didn't happen. He's Quincy.

I jumped from page 1 to page 6 expecting no news. Spurgeon? Well, that certainly bypassed any of our expectations. Jim Bob sounds pretty good about now. If he hits any secular anything I bet he hears "spooge"

Major eye roll.

v. to ejaculate

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! That is EXACTLY what I was thinking

I think the Manson girls did a better job naming their spawn.

Thank heavens it wasn't a girl.  Normally boys are spared fundie freak names.  I can't imagine what they'd saddle a girl with.

I thought I was being punked but then I came here and saw the freakin video. How - Why? I get the martyr thing I really do , and the famous theologian. There are plenty in both lists that aren't as horrible as Spurgeon . I really am speechless. I was rooting for Huckabee which was laughable before , but now doesn't seem so bad .

I hope little Seewald goes by Quincy. Quincy is kind of cute. He can go by Quincy. I'm going to pretend that Spurgeon didn't happen. He's Quincy.

When I heard they were calling him Quincy as a nickname, I was like "Wow, I hope they don't actually name him Quincy. What an outdated, horrible name." And then they announced this name. *sigh* I wish they had named him Quincy.

I can't even with these two anymore.  What the f^&k were they smoking when they came up with SPURGEON?!  And Ben's comment along the lines of, "he's going to have this name for the rest of his life"....so You thought THIS was a good idea?

I'm done. I need to go to bed. Hope I can fall asleep...."Like a SPURGEON" keeps running through my head. 

This actually makes me really sad for Jessa and Jill.  Deep down they must feel like they were cheated out of having a unique identity with all the similar J names.  Just another one of the J'slaves... interchangeable.  They had to go to the other extreme and give their children truly unique names.  A name that will be theirs and only theirs.  No Jana, Joy-Anna, and Johanna repeats for the second generation!  They get Israel and Spurgeon.

They'll probably just call him Elliot, Eli, or Leo.

On Jessa's bookface, someone asked if he would go by Spurgeon or Elliot.  Jessa eeplied "Both, but everybody still calls him Quincy."  I bet he's called Quincy for the rest of his life.

Well, if the Shraders follow this idea, their bun-in-the-oven's name will be Tozer Shrader.

Honestly, what was wrong with Charles? Or hell, Elliot? Why in the world did they have to go with Spurgeon? If his namesake has the impact on the parents that he did, just go with Charles, OK?

Wow. Maybe they should have waited another day or two to think about it.

OMG. Take a month. Take all the time you need, but for rice cakes don't be calling him that awful name. wtf I can't even.

Why did I wait in anticipation for THIS? SPURGEON? I don't know what the heck they were thinking. When Bin started explaining why they chose it, I just wondered why they didn't do Charles Elliot or Elliot Spurgeon or Elliot Charles. They had to use Spurgeon as a first name? The first thing I thought of was "Like a Spurgeon..." Poor poor Quincy...

• happy atheist locked this topic

Archived