IGNORED

Joy-Anna turns 18th on Oct 28th

countressrascal

I never had a curfew, because I wasn't allowed out unless I had asked for and received permission for a specific occasion, like a dance. I also didn't have a lot of friends and couldn't connect so easily, since I was more often than not barred from using the computer and did not have a cell phone. The most rebellious thing I did was stay at my friend's house until "too late" (10:30 or 11), and sneak extra food when I could. All your parents sound so permissive by comparison!

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had a curfew until I was 22. I mean, it wasn't strictly enforced and there weren't any real consequences, but my parents did get pissed if I wasn't home by curfew. 

Good lord. :TRUCDEOUF: Boggles my mind. (Also, I really wanted to use that emoticon. Ha!)

When I was 21/22 (living at home between college and law school), I had an 11 curfew! And the only places I could drive th car I'd been so graciously lent were to work, the gym, the store, and my aforementioned one friend's place. And maybe church if it worked out that we had to go to different services.

My girls are 17 and 19, they earn their own money and pay for their own expenses except school related items.  They have had jobs since they were 15 and have their own bank accounts which we do not have access to.

Since they were in year 8 they were given $50.00 per week pocket money in return for cooking one night a week, kitchen patrol 2 nights a week and doing their own washing.  That money paid for their phones, outings, clothing and school lunches ( if they did not take food from home) and any other expenses.  As a result they are very careful with their money and both have good savings. That pocket money stopped when they got jobs.

In terms of curfew we were stricter with the eldest who had to be in by 10 pm on school nights and midnight on weekends until she turned 18.  The youngest has a boyfriend who is very protective so we don't worry as much.  She still needs to be home by 1 am on weekends.  Both girls have a strong work ethic so tend to be home early if they are working the next day.

my parents were a lot more lenient with me, but my husband is quite strict because of his upbringing . He has had to loosen up a bit.

I had a curfew until I was 22. I mean, it wasn't strictly enforced and there weren't any real consequences, but my parents did get pissed if I wasn't home by curfew. 

Wow, I didn't realize a curfew would be so weird, and It is only until he finishes High School. I'm winging it here, I graduated at 17, then left for college a month before I turned 18.  I don't see what the big deal is about still having rules for my 18 year old.  It isn't like a magic number where POOF you  are an adult and know everything you need, been nice knowing you kid, don't let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya! I also have to ease myself into NOT being responsible for his every life event, The last 18 years and 8 months (he was born 4 weeks early) I've been preping him to be a responsible adult, I never thought to prep myself to let him do it.

That caught the husband out as well. He kept saying 'when you are 18 you can do what you want'.  That is the legal age for pretty much everything in Australia.  The problem was when No.1 turned 18 husband had not prepared himself to sit back and let go!  Refereeing arguments became the norm there for a bit.

*snip*

Since they were in year 8 they were given $50.00 per week pocket money in return for cooking one night a week, kitchen patrol 2 nights a week and doing their own washing.  That money paid for their phones, outings, clothing and school lunches ( if they did not take food from home) and any other expenses.  As a result they are very careful with their money and both have good savings. That pocket money stopped when they got jobs. *snip*

That seems like a large allowance compared to what my friends kids get (mine are too young for allowances). 

My town has a legal curfew for minors, too. 11pm, I think. I only ever heard of one kid I sort of knew who got in trouble over it, though. 

My parents never seemed to like hard and fast rules by the time I was a teenager. (Youngest of 4.) Everything was on a case by case basis, including curfew. My older sister complains, "I had to be in by 11pm on prom night and they just let you do whatever!" Well, yeah, but the friends I was hanging out with until 2am after my prom were safe little goody two shoes like me. (We watched a couple of movies at a house. Most other nights I was home by 10 or 11pm.) We were not like big sister's slightly more daring friends who drank a bit and maybe even smoked. **gasp!**

On the other hand, maybe my sis has a point and our parents were just tired of it all. When I was almost 19, I was still living at home. When I went out, once in a blue moon, I would tell them when I planned to return and promise to call if I would be later. Once, I called at midnight to say that I would not be home as planned. The call woke my dad, who said, "I don't care what time you come home. Just don't call me again!" (I got home about 5am. All we did was sit in a 24 hour restaurant and talk. Poor waitress was probably desperate to get rid of us.) Maybe JB & DQ will feel the same way in a few years, if the younger Duggars are lucky. 

My city had (still has) a curfew. Anyone under 16 had to be inside or with an adult greater than 21 by 10:30 unless you were driving home from an event. Anyone under 18 had to be inside or with an adult greater than 21 by 11:30 unless you were driving home from an event.

My town has a legal curfew for minors, too. 11pm, I think. I only ever heard of one kid I sort of knew who got in trouble over it, though. 

snipped

I think most (if not all?) towns/cities/counties have legal curfews for minors.  Whether or not they are enforced, though..

There are curfews in parks where I live (i.e. you can't be in this park between 11 p.m. and 6 a.m.), but no curfews in general for minors.

Nope, not in my city. And hell would come to earth if it happened. But i live in the other side of the pond, so i don't know, life is different here

I never had a curfew, but my mom is the sort of person who will assume that I'm lying dead in a ditch somewhere if I don't call her to let her know if my plans have deviated from the routine or what I originally told her, so if I was going to stay out late after work (when I was an adult living at home for a year to save money) or if after-school theater rehearsals were running late (when I was in high school), I'd call or text her to let her know.

I never strictly had a curfew, but my parents expected to know when I would be home every night. Since it was before small cell phones and we certainly didn't have one, I had better be back by when I said I would be or my parents would be assuming I was in a wreck or something. 

The town I'm in now has a curfew for driving. I think it applies to 16 and 17 year olds. I've never understood how that's a good thing though. Surely it's more dangerous having these new drivers rushing to get home by curfew than to have them driving a little past 10pm or whatever the time is. 

There are curfews in parks where I live (i.e. you can't be in this park between 11 p.m. and 6 a.m.), but no curfews in general for minors.

11 pm? Man, every park I've ever been to is closed an hour after sunset to an hour before sunrise.

11 pm? Man, every park I've ever been to is closed an hour after sunset to an hour before sunrise.

I just looked it up, and it's actually midnight to 5 a.m.

I never strictly had a curfew, but my parents expected to know when I would be home every night. Since it was before small cell phones and we certainly didn't have one, I had better be back by when I said I would be or my parents would be assuming I was in a wreck or something. 

The town I'm in now has a curfew for driving. I think it applies to 16 and 17 year olds. I've never understood how that's a good thing though. Surely it's more dangerous having these new drivers rushing to get home by curfew than to have them driving a little past 10pm or whatever the time is. 

My town had a driving curfew for 16-17 year olds, but with exemptions for those employed as EMTs (allowed in our state), those attending school functions (so all of us theatre kids were terrorizing the streets at 2 AM during Show Week because going to the 24 hour diner and gorging ourselves on cheese fries totes counts as a school function), and those who had religious obligations (not really sure what religion requires night driving, but OK).

My town had a driving curfew for 16-17 year olds, but with exemptions for those employed as EMTs (allowed in our state), those attending school functions (so all of us theatre kids were terrorizing the streets at 2 AM during Show Week because going to the 24 hour diner and gorging ourselves on cheese fries totes counts as a school function), and those who had religious obligations (not really sure what religion requires night driving, but OK).

Shot in the dark here, but maybe handing out tracts, a la so many fundies we talk about?

I could see something like driving home from Midnight Mass at Christmas.

My girls are 17 and 19, they earn their own money and pay for their own expenses except school related items.  They have had jobs since they were 15 and have their own bank accounts which we do not have access to.

Since they were in year 8 they were given $50.00 per week pocket money in return for cooking one night a week, kitchen patrol 2 nights a week and doing their own washing.  That money paid for their phones, outings, clothing and school lunches ( if they did not take food from home) and any other expenses.  As a result they are very careful with their money and both have good savings. That pocket money stopped when they got jobs.

In terms of curfew we were stricter with the eldest who had to be in by 10 pm on school nights and midnight on weekends until she turned 18.  The youngest has a boyfriend who is very protective so we don't worry as much.  She still needs to be home by 1 am on weekends.  Both girls have a strong work ethic so tend to be home early if they are working the next day.

my parents were a lot more lenient with me, but my husband is quite strict because of his upbringing . He has had to loosen up a bit.

What grade is year 8? 8th grade? Are you in Australia? 

I never had a curfew because I was a total nerd. I hates being outside when it hot dark out. My kids don't gave curfews. My 17 and 15 year Olds typically come home at a decent hour. They also have a bunch of activities that requires them to be out at a certain time. My kids don't get allowance. I feel that they shouldn't get paid to do things that's expected of them. The only exception are my foster kids. 

My friend's pagan church has a few night time ceremonies. Also, I'm sure that you could count things like "coming home from a retreat" or something along those lines as religious obligations. My diocese while I was in middle school and high school had a week long retreat for high schoolers that was 5 hours from home without stops and without traffic. It wasn't unheard of for the buses to get stuck in traffic and not get back until at least 9 or 10. I think there was even one year where I heard the buses came home at 11.

My friend's pagan church has a few night time ceremonies. Also, I'm sure that you could count things like "coming home from a retreat" or something along those lines as religious obligations. My diocese while I was in middle school and high school had a week long retreat for high schoolers that was 5 hours from home without stops and without traffic. It wasn't unheard of for the buses to get stuck in traffic and not get back until at least 9 or 10. I think there was even one year where I heard the buses came home at 11.

Heck, you don't need anything weird, even. Our regular youth bible study ended at 10:30 in the summer and we were often there much longer. I certainly wouldn't have wanted my mom to have to come pick me up. It was already embarassing enough borrowing the minivan.

What grade is year 8? 8th grade? Are you in Australia? 

I never had a curfew because I was a total nerd. I hates being outside when it hot dark out. My kids don't gave curfews. My 17 and 15 year Olds typically come home at a decent hour. They also have a bunch of activities that requires them to be out at a certain time. My kids don't get allowance. I feel that they shouldn't get paid to do things that's expected of them. The only exception are my foster kids. 

year 8 is when they are about 13 years old. I don't know what that equates to in the USA. Also good on you for fostering children. That must be challenging at times.

year 8 is when they are about 13 years old. I don't know what that equates to in the USA. Also good on you for fostering children. That must be challenging at times.

13 Is 7/8/9 grade. Depending on your birthday. Being a foster parent is hard but rewarding

I am so depressed that Jinger is now 19, Joy is 18, and they are both still in the TTH.  I feel like I've been rooting for these girls since forever, even before we knew how bad it was.  Lawd.  This is so sad.

I am so depressed that Jinger is now 19, Joy is 18, and they are both still in the TTH.  I feel like I've been rooting for these girls since forever, even before we knew how bad it was.  Lawd.  This is so sad.

Jinger's 21 isn't she? 

Archived