IGNORED

Joy-Anna turns 18th on Oct 28th

countressrascal

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I disagree with speculation about gender identity of any of the Duggars....except the Boob and DQ.  Even the kidults still at home are most likely under very close scrutiny and speculation from us might make their home lives more difficult.....and get sent to Alert forever.

Now The Pecan Thief, on the other hand, is fair game!  Loved his apron!!

So when is it okay? When they're married and have already drug another innocent person into this mess? How does that help anybody?  I respect the rules but I disagree with them in regards to the kidults. It feels way too much like condoning their fear of homosexuality. 

IMO, we shouldn't really speculate on who is or isn't gay. It's a touchy subject for people in their position (fundie) and it's none of our business. Even David Waller. And by insisting that he is gay, which he may totally be or may not be, it's just reinforcing stereotypes that effeminate men must be gay. There is plenty of stuff to discuss about David Waller, whether or not he's gay doesn't even hit my list.

You are correct that I reinforced a stereotype.  Thanks for saying so....and I'm not snarking.    However, we've noticed that interactions between David and Priscilla tend to be awkward, and that he is sometimes rather short with her.  We also know that he did not want to get married when he did.  Moreover, we know that homosexuality is a grave transgression in fundamental circles, and if David Waller has some degree of gender confusion, it could explain his interactions with Priscilla.  And, it could reinforce the challenge for fundamentalists of being who they are.

Dear Joy,

Happy Birthday hon. You probably don’t know it, but your 18 and that means you can break free. The world has watched you grow from a spunky little spitfire to a beautiful young women. I hope that your future is long and bright and that you get to do whatever you heart desires. 

May the odds be ever in your favor

LL

Le sigh.... I had no idea how depressing it world be for my favorite Duggar to turn 18. 

My guess is that Joy spent part of her special day signing Duggar legal documents.  While I doubt they could force her to stay, it wouldn't surprise me at all if JB now has (at least) limited Power of Attorney over her business/financial matters.

I also hope she can find happiness.  If she's not central to the "specials", and I don't see why she would be, then maybe she can take college classes or occasionally travel with a group of friends or whatever works for her.

Happy Birthday Joy-Anna!

I can't believe Joy is 18 already. I used to always still think of her as much younger, still 13-14 yr old tomboy. Only in last 6 months or so, I realised she can now be grouped as one of the older girls.

She is one my favourites too, but my hopes of any of them escaping or doing a runner have faded. I doubt it will happen anytime soon. Another grown up kidult for the Duggar household. Ah well, I hope she had a good day anyway. Do the Duggars even celebrate birthdays?

I was just petting my cat and he was purring so I said, "purr purr purr" in a funny voice and he looked at me like, "WTF are you doing? Knock that off."

I think it's quite unfair dogs can't purr.  Mine loves nothing better than curling up in my lap and bring patted (petted?). I think she'd enjoy purring. 

Joy from the earlier seasons of the show, when she was still allowed to be a tomboy and play with her brothers was spunky. The Joy who did talking heads with Josiah is different than the Joy who did them with Jana. Now that might be a part of growing up or being a Duggar it might be that her spirit is being crushed. She is kind of in an awkward place for the girls, she's not part of the lost girls, and she's not part of the older girls. She's very much in the middle, which is tough. I hope that whatever does happen for Joy is that she gets some peace, time away from the TTH and if it's a courtship that does that, then good for her. It's tough to say getting married is the best option but likely for her it is, as sad as that is. 

Johanna is in the same position on the other end of all the boys.  My heart breaks for all these kids.  Getting your spirit beat out of you spiritually?  That is more damaging than physical beatings imo.  And I'm not convinced they were not/are not beaten physically too.  Not enough to leave marks, but enough and well beyond a simple spank.

But Johanna has all those little sisters to pal around with once it's determined that her friendship with Jackson needs to end.  Joy is really in the most awkward position in their segregate the sexes world.  The older four girls are much older than her and the little girls are much younger than her.

I do agree with you about them being beaten.  In fact I'm fairly sure that happened to some degree given that they used to link the Pearls on their website.  

In the police investigation about Josh molesting them, Joy did mention that the parents did use a rod to disclipine them.

Dear Joy,

Happy Birthday hon. You probably don’t know it, but your 18 and that means you can break free. The world has watched you grow from a spunky little spitfire to a beautiful young women. I hope that your future is long and bright and that you get to do whatever you heart desires. 

LL

Le sigh.... I had no idea how depressing it world be for my favorite Duggar to turn 18. 

My guess is that Joy spent part of her special day signing Duggar legal documents.  While I doubt they could force her to stay, it wouldn't surprise me at all if JB now has (at least) limited Power of Attorney over her business/financial matters.

I also hope she can find happiness.  If she's not central to the "specials", and I don't see why she would be, then maybe she can take college classes or occasionally travel with a group of friends or whatever works for her.

I've never considered that JB would get a PoA for the kidults, but it makes sense. How awful. Do you think its just for girls, or boys too?

Well, Joy's 18th birthday came and went. I hope she has some happy memories from it.

I was just realizing that 2 of my female extended family members will turn 18 in the spring. They're 7 months younger than Joy, but they have so much more freedom and so many more choices than she does. One is in public high school and the other is in an online charter school. One is big into drama club/class. The other has awards from several Highland Dance competitions. One has a job assembling bicycles. The other has amazing musical talents and writes songs. They're both planning on going to college.  And they're both Christians with very church-going families. One Baptist (not sure exact flavor) and the other something Charismatic/Pentecostal-y.

Joy Anna, I'm sorry almost all your childhood choices were taken away. I hope you can find some control over your own life, somehow, as an adult. 

I remember watching the episode where DQ announced the next blessing....

And Joy gave a wonderful eyeroll and look of "Oh Thor, another one?!" :dance::dance:

I pray she never looses her spunk to not be Biblical Barbie.

Dear Joy,

LL

I've never considered that JB would get a PoA for the kidults, but it makes sense. How awful. Do you think its just for girls, or boys too?

Probably both. He's probably doubling down on the boys more than before, though, since Joshley done goofed.

I read somewhere that a lot of the laws that protect child entertainers from financial/labor exploitation by their parents or managers do not apply to kids on reality TV shows, and that laws like the Coogan Law (which require a child entertainer's earnings to go into a special account that the parents cannot access without permission) can vary wildly by state. I'm sure that JB takes advantage of the fact that Arkansas has very few regulations concerning the wellbeing of child entertainers and the loopholes regarding reality television. He knows he can hold the purse strings and his children will have no legal recourse to get any of the money. I'm sure he has PoA for all the kids, though he might not even need that, since it's very likely that they have no money in their own names.

I was just petting my cat and he was purring so I said, "purr purr purr" in a funny voice and he looked at me like, "WTF are you doing? Knock that off."

have you ever sang Soft Kitty to him?  :my_smile:

I disagree with speculation about gender identity of any of the Duggars....except the Boob and DQ.  Even the kidults still at home are most likely under very close scrutiny and speculation from us might make their home lives more difficult.....and get sent to Alert forever.

Now The Pecan Thief, on the other hand, is fair game!  Loved his apron!!

So when is it okay? When they're married and have already drug another innocent person into this mess? How does that help anybody?  I respect the rules but I disagree with them in regards to the kidults. It feels way too much like condoning their fear of homosexuality. 

IMO, we shouldn't really speculate on who is or isn't gay. It's a touchy subject for people in their position (fundie) and it's none of our business. Even David Waller. And by insisting that he is gay, which he may totally be or may not be, it's just reinforcing stereotypes that effeminate men must be gay. There is plenty of stuff to discuss about David Waller, whether or not he's gay doesn't even hit my list.

You are correct that I reinforced a stereotype.  Thanks for saying so....and I'm not snarking.    However, we've noticed that interactions between David and Priscilla tend to be awkward, and that he is sometimes rather short with her.  We also know that he did not want to get married when he did.  Moreover, we know that homosexuality is a grave transgression in fundamental circles, and if David Waller has some degree of gender confusion, it could explain his interactions with Priscilla.  And, it could reinforce the challenge for fundamentalists of being who they are.

I have NO idea what David Waller's reactions/behaviors may be, I don't follow the Wallers or the Kellers.  I do pick up ideas based on what I read in threads that mention them though, and it has looked to me that people are speculating (somewhat strongly sometimes) that DW is gay based on effeminate behaviors among other things.  Please correct me if I read that wrong.  @gustava your use of the phrase gender confusion confuses me because gender confusion is not being sure that the body you were born in is your correct gender, and being gay has nothing to do with that at all.  Do you mean that you believe that DW is actually confused about being born into the right gendered body, or do you believe he's gay and are using the incorrect term.  I am not snarking, I am truly asking.

As far as DW and Prisc being awkward together, him being short with her and noting he didn't want to get married, the same can all be said for Josh and Anna.  Josh was pushed into marriage, and while he definitely wanted to perks of marriage, he never seemed to truly want to marry Anna, if marry at all.

I don't give a tinker's damn who is or isn't gay, I just get confused while following this thread.  

No, but I need too!!

I have dabbled in the Pecan Thief’s rabbit hole and I don’t know if he is gay. I personally don’t want to speculate on someone I don’t know well enough, but he is......different. Maybe he’s just super fabulous and is straight as an arrow. Or maybe is his in the closet. IDK , I’m just glad I’m not his wife. 

Soft Kitty is only for when you are sick.

Soft Kitty is only for when you are sick.

Sheldon is not the boss of me!  :neener:

Soft Kitty is only for sick people.

Being overcome by cuteness is a type of being sick... 

(That's a paraphrase of an early season line in an episode, just in case anyone misses the reference and it comes across badly.)

Thought I should post this here.

Its genuinely sweet of the Bates family to do.  And its the first time either family have done public birthday wishes for someone in the other family :group-hug:

I still have a dream that Joy will join Joseph at Crown College. I know it's not great in terms of higher education, but it's better than nothing, and it would at least get her out of the TTH and let her have a few more experiences while still seeming familiar and letting her retain a local support system. I'm pretty sure I've posted this exact sentiment before so I'm just repeating myself, but I really think it would be great for her.

I have dabbled in the Pecan Thief’s rabbit hole and I don’t know if he is gay. I personally don’t want to speculate on someone I don’t know well enough, but he is......different. Maybe he’s just super fabulous and is straight as an arrow. Or maybe is his in the closet. IDK , I’m just glad I’m not his wife. 

Well that's about the dirtiest thing I've read! LMAO 

Also, can someone point me to a tutorial on how to work these quotes??? AHH.

Archived