IGNORED

All Things Dillard - Part 6

happy atheist

According to Pickles, the invitations were sent via email 3 days before the event. Stay klassy, Duggars. :shifty-kitty:

• Replies 944
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Are there any photos of them at SDC? Just curious. I would not be surprised if the TLC crew tagged along. It makes for a perfect 8 minutes for one of the specials.

There's a photo of them at SDC on Pickles's Facebook page.

If I had sent you money to support your missionary efforts, Dillards, and you wanted to have a party to thank me and the other donors to your cause, then I shouldn't have to bring food to feed everyone. :shifty-kitty:

How about, instead, you shell out for some inexpensive refreshments? Brownies mixes, lemonade, and some veggie trays wouldn't cost much.

According to Pickles, the invitations were sent via email 3 days before the event. Stay klassy, Duggars. :shifty-kitty:

Because that is totally enough time to plan a trip to Arkansas and prepare a potluck dish if you aren't already in the immediate vicinity! What a thoughtless grift. These people just get worse and worse.

If I had sent you money to support your missionary efforts, Dillards, and you wanted to have a party to thank me and the other donors to your cause, then I shouldn't have to bring food to feed everyone. :shifty-kitty:

How about, instead, you shell out for some inexpensive refreshments? Brownies mixes, lemonade, and some veggie trays wouldn't cost much.

Isn't that more than they offered their wedding guests though? :roll:

Yeah. :lol: Pretty sure the only thing Jilly-Muffin and crew paid for was the lemonade mix. All the other refreshments were grifted.

HAHAHA!! All of this!! Unbelievable. These people are fucking ridiculous. Thank you so much for your money, please spend even more so you can feed hundreds of our guests and spend your precious time preparing the food. Damn. They really should be ashamed.

To be fair, what I can tell from the pictures, it doesn't exactly look like there were hundreds of guests at this shindig. :lol:

To be fair, what I can tell from the pictures, it doesn't exactly look like there were hundreds of guests at this shindig. :lol:

Especially considering how big that church is that they go to!

There's a photo of them at SDC on Pickles's Facebook page.

Yep. Derick's Mom and brother were there too according to Cathy's instagram page.

THIS. If I am honoring people with a party and it's not specifically a potluck event (which a "thank you for donating money to us" party emphatically should not be), I feed and entertain them. If a guest offers to bring food or beverages, I thank them profusely and insist that they only bring one bottle of wine or just a small dessert, since their job isn't to cook for me; it's to come and have fun.

I think it just doesn't occur to any of the Duggars to give to others. It's the same thing with Jessa and the free coffee. They spent their childhoods being the recipient of free goods and kind acts because of their huge family, and they see that as their due now. To them, giving to others means just showing up, preaching, and gracing people with their presence. So when they host a "thank you" "party" for their donors, it makes total sense to ask them to bring food, because of COURSE these people gave them money to harass poor brown people in Central America, why would they have to give even a small token back? They get to be in the same room as them--that's enough.

Oh, this is so comforting! Haha! Well at least that's something!

THIS. If I am honoring people with a party and it's not specifically a potluck event (which a "thank you for donating money to us" party emphatically should not be), I feed and entertain them. If a guest offers to bring food or beverages, I thank them profusely and insist that they only bring *ONE BOTTLE OF WINE* or just a small dessert, since their job isn't to cook for me; it's to come and have fun.

All caps are mine - I need to learn how to bold... I'm sure you must mean cider! Wine is so ebil and Jesus didn't really create wine at that wedding! Don't you know it was grape juice?! :)

ETA- this is all so ridiculous! As "Christians" it seems these people do nothing to follow Jesus' example of meeting people (who have different lifestyles) where they are and loving and accepting them, GIVING to others, SERVING others, etc. It's all me, me, meme, with them! What Bible are they reading?!

All caps are mine - I need to learn how to bold... I'm sure you must mean cider! Wine is so ebil and Jesus didn't really create wine at that wedding! Don't you know it was grape juice?! :)

ETA- this is all so ridiculous! As "Christians" it seems these people do nothing to follow Jesus' example of meeting people (who have different lifestyles) where they are and loving and accepting them, GIVING to others, SERVING others, etc. It's all me, me, meme, with them! What Bible are they reading?!

One commissioned by a king and likely interpreted in such a way to justify a monarch's life of getting lots of nice stuff without necessarily doing anything to earn it besides be born and have functioning genitals?

I think it just doesn't occur to any of the Duggars to give to others. It's the same thing with Jessa and the free coffee. They spent their childhoods being the recipient of free goods and kind acts because of their huge family, and they see that as their due now. To them, giving to others means just showing up, preaching, and gracing people with their presence. So when they host a "thank you" "party" for their donors, it makes total sense to ask them to bring food, because of COURSE these people gave them money to harass poor brown people in Central America, why would they have to give even a small token back? They get to be in the same room as them--that's enough.

Didn't you see the segment on "Giving" ? They brought stuff to give away and did the show - and took the bags of stuff back from the people.

Their idea of giving to others is to say, "Here, hold this." Get a picture of them smilingly handing something to someone to show who they 'gave' and then taking the item back. Probably not even a thanks for holding this while we take a picture of what what we "gave" you to hold.

I can't figure out if their gall is only exceeded by their tackiness, or if it's the other way around.

Why do they have to go to Guatemala to learn Spanish? I think you could do the same thing, a lot cheaper, if you buy Rosetta Stone and watch Telemundo.

Why do they have to go to Guatemala to learn Spanish? I think you could do the same thing, a lot cheaper, if you buy Rosetta Stone and watch Telemundo.

Really, you think Rosetta Stone and Telemundo is the same thing as actual in-person classes while being immersed in the language everywhere you go in your day to day life and being forced to speak it because that's what everyone around you speaks?

As someone who has learned languages through going to classes, immersion, and by watching TV, and who is currently studying second language acquisition and pedagogy, I can tell you (at least from experience, we haven't quite gotten to the nitty-gritty in my acquisition/pedagogy classes yet) that the absolute, A-1, gold-standard, best way to learn a language is to go to a country where it is spoken, live like a local, and speak it and read it every single day. Watching TV is NOT the same. At all. It helps, don't get me wrong, there's a lot you can learn, but you will likely not become fluent. You really do need that feedback from other speakers if you're going to get the grammar and sounds right, let alone the cultural subtleties of the language. And that's leaving out that how people talk on TV may be very different from how people talk in real life (just ask any person who tried to learn Japanese by watching anime). If you have the amazing opportunity to go to another country to learn a language, or even just befriend a native speaker willing to stick to only speaking the target language with you, DO IT. Your brain will thank you.

Now, mind you, I doubt that Jill and Derick have the drive and commitment to leave their expat bubble in which they will inevitably be ensconced when they go back to Guatemala, which would mean that they're probably going to waste a lot of money and time by going to Antigua and hanging out with other English speakers and trying to get the locals to speak English to them. And in that case, I'd say that they should just stick to Telemundo and Rosetta Stone if they're not going to take advantage of the incredible value of immersion.

Really, you think Rosetta Stone and Telemundo is the same thing as actual in-person classes while being immersed in the language everywhere you go in your day to day life and being forced to speak it because that's what everyone around you speaks?

I guess my attempt to be facetious fell on deaf ears and eyes. Personally, I learned to speak German by living in Germany and Hebrew by immersion while living on a Kibbutz in Israel for a year. My French is only the learn it in college variety so I read better than I speak. And although I took 3 years of Latin, the number of people I can carry on a conversation with is limited.

:shock: And I'm officially incredibly offended for the first time in FJ.. That is SO racist in soooo many ways!

As a hispanic girl I can tell that spanish is a million times harder than english, there's a lot of inflexions, punctuation and a lot of other things that the english language doesn't have and sitting watching shows from miami won't teach you the language at all.

Also dude, telemundo and univision are not what our culture is about. Heck, those networks can't even speak the proper language. I think it's awful how hispanics are portrayed as nothing else but telenovela watchers, maids, salsa dancers and sofia vergara's mini me's. Not that's anything wrong with people who fit the stereotypes but i can tell you that 90% of our population is not like that and it's pretty darn offensive that the only reference you have of our culture is that kind of thing.

One commissioned by a king and likely interpreted in such a way to justify a monarch's life of getting lots of nice stuff without necessarily doing anything to earn it besides be born and have functioning genitals?

A king who was also fond of outing witches and ensuring they were properly punished. Sounds rational. And like a good way to govern gender relations in later generations. :evil-eye:

:shock: And I'm officially incredibly offended for the first time in FJ.. That is SO racist in soooo many ways!

As a hispanic girl I can tell that spanish is a million times harder than english, there's a lot of inflexions, punctuation and a lot of other things that the english language doesn't have and sitting watching shows from miami won't teach you the language at all.

Also dude, telemundo and univision are not what our culture is about. Heck, those networks can't even speak the proper language. I think it's awful how hispanics are portrayed as nothing else but telenovela watchers, maids, salsa dancers and sofia vergara's mini me's. Not that's anything wrong with people who fit the stereotypes but i can tell you that 90% of our population is not like that and it's pretty darn offensive that the only reference you have of our culture is that kind of thing.

You may want to go back and read her follow-up post.

I guess my attempt to be facetious fell on deaf ears and eyes. Personally, I learned to speak German by living in Germany and Hebrew by immersion while living on a Kibbutz in Israel for a year. My French is only the learn it in college variety so I read better than I speak. And although I took 3 years of Latin, the number of people I can carry on a conversation with is limited.

Umm okay, that's fine. Try to proof read your posts girl, some things can be taken as very offensive. ;)

Archived