IGNORED

All Things Dillard - Part 6

happy atheist

So, the Dillards are back in CA to learn Spanish. I presume that they are returning to Antigua, Guatemala, as there are a lot of language schools there. The schools are used a lot by folks who are planning to live and work in Spanish speaking countries. They're also used by folks who have learned Spanish in school and want an opportunity to really understand idioms and get a sense of the true spoken language.

I say all that, as the Inquisitor article questioned why they would learn Spanish in CA and not in the states. Assuming they're really, planning on serving in a mission field in El Salvador, then this is the best option for them.

BUT, it should be noted that the courses in Antigua are best taught to students using total immersion in the language. There is an expectation that you will live with (be hosted by) a family in the community or stay in housing with other students and that you'll attempt to speak only Spanish. traveling back to the states every two weeks is not immersion and really works against the rationale of taking Spanish in Antigua.

Unless, of course, you're really just wanting to take a vacation to a really cool city in Guatemala and call it Mission prep work. :naughty:

• Replies 944
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So, the Dillards are back in CA to learn Spanish. I presume that they are returning to Antigua, Guatemala, as there are a lot of language schools there. The schools are used a lot by folks who are planning to live and work in Spanish speaking countries. They're also used by folks who have learned Spanish in school and want an opportunity to really understand idioms and get a sense of the true spoken language.

I say all that, as the Inquisitor article questioned why they would learn Spanish in CA and not in the states. Assuming they're really, planning on serving in a mission field in El Salvador, then this is the best option for them.

BUT, it should be noted that the courses in Antigua are best taught to students using total immersion in the language. There is an expectation that you will live with (be hosted by) a family in the community or stay in housing with other students and that you'll attempt to speak only Spanish. traveling back to the states every two weeks is not immersion and really works against the rationale of taking Spanish in Antigua.

Unless, of course, you're really just wanting to take a vacation to a really cool city in Guatemala and call it Mission prep work. :naughty:

Or have it filmed for your newly launched media career.

Or have it filmed for your newly launched media career.

Damn, you're right--another opportunity for TLC and the Dillards/Duggars to lower the bar for the world's perception of US citizens.

:angry-banghead:

Derick's most recent instagram thanking their "financial support partners" comes off as a big CYA against the criticism of misspent donations. Of course, in true grifter Duggar fashion, no accountability is given for the funds, just a thank you.

Also, how pathetic does that party look. All those empty chairs? Maybe their local leg humpers are finally seeing them for what they are (wishful thinking, I know).

I agree with this, and I think that whatever they couldn't return or sell for the cash, was given to Jessa.

Or sold to Jessa :disgust:

For what it's worth, when I read that about teaching, I didn't think she might teach midwifery but maybe teach about childbirth and prenatal care and basic baby care, to expectant or new parents. Her midwife training and her life experiences have surely prepared her for that (except, I suppose, if she has to teach women how to wear baby carriers).

I've known SAHMs who supplemented the family income (and got out of the house) by teaching "birth preparedness classes." Most were Lamaze or Bradley instructors but one at least had no formal affiliation. (She had trained under some hippie midwife back in the seventies and was part of this holistic, back to nature group.)

Totally good with that idea!! lol That's actually a really great thing for Jill to teach, as long as she has a little bit of formal education in that area (like I'd rather she not tell people to blanket train their newborns or whatever!). Most basic infant care though, she'd probably have a lot more experience with than your average mom of 1 baby.

With the Duggars, everything is a fundraiser.

Picturing a collection box at the door of their house.

So now that the Stonybrook house is sold, we know for sure that all of their stuff that they didn't take on the mission is in storage. Sigh. I can't help thinking about all of those wedding gifts and baby gifts that they got, most of them stored away and not to be seen again for years. Seems like a waste. I wonder if it ever occurred to them to donate any of their stuff to a shelter or unwed mother's home.
How do we know the Stonybrook house was sold? Can you point me to where this is being discussed?

How do we know the Stonybrook house was sold? Can you point me to where this is being discussed?

I would like to know as well. I was gone for a few days so I know nothing about this.

If the Duggars are unloading assets, they may be in a worse financial state than we thought.

I would like to know as well. I was gone for a few days so I know nothing about this.

If the Duggars are unloading assets, they may be in a worse financial state than we thought.

It is over in the Joshley thread. I am not clear on all the maneuvers, but it seems they sold the Stonybrook house and bought one closer (Dowell street?) with a pool. It doesn't seem like unloading real estate.

I'm not convinced about either of those transactions, fwiw, but I said my piece about it in the Joshley thread.

Those who have "donated" to the Dullard's Mission-cations apparently received this invite:

11224669_807849385980539_4690111404893840935_n.jpg?oh=4009c4c52aa2bdc0493031c7b62b6d82&oe=5699235A

So thats what they meant by "financial support partners". You give them money and you have to bring your own food. TLC couldn't spring for some Chick Fila catering??

"A brief time in the US." How long has it been? I swear it feels like they have been back as long as they were away.

"Don't bring any gifts." That means don't bring anything except money because they don't want to tote anything around. No cute baby toys, no handmade baby clothes or crocheted baby blankets. Just a credit card number or a check book.

"If you can, please bring a dish to share" We don't want to spend any of our money on you for godness sakes.

"A brief time in the US." How long has it been? I swear it feels like they have been back as long as they were away.

"Don't bring any gifts." That means don't bring anything except money because they don't want to tote anything around. No cute baby toys, no handmade baby clothes or crocheted baby blankets. Just a credit card number or a check book.

"If you can, please bring a dish to share" We don't want to spend any of our money on you for godness sakes.

HAHAHA!! All of this!! Unbelievable. These people are fucking ridiculous. Thank you so much for your money, please spend even more so you can feed hundreds of our guests and spend your precious time preparing the food. Damn. They really should be ashamed.

HAHAHA!! All of this!! Unbelievable. These people are fucking ridiculous. Thank you so much for your money, please spend even more so you can feed hundreds of our guests and spend your precious time preparing the food. Damn. They really should be ashamed.

And, once again we have proof that TLC and the Dillards track their critics (here and elsewhere). This party to thank donors serves as a plot line for the Jilly-Muffin Special on TLC (you can clearly see random videographers and boom mikes) AND responds to criticisms that all they do is grift. Because thanking your donors by asking them to feed you isn't grifting :angry-banghead:

Who wants to bet that there were donation boxes at the fundraiser, oops i mean going away party? I am sure they will be accepting love offerings.

Fundies must have invented the word tacky. Pot luck weddings are bad enough and I am talking cheap fundy style, not the ones we have talked about here. I am amaze at the gall of these people. They are throwing themselves a going away party so they can meet their donors and yet they expect the donors to supply the food.

Also, how many of their donors would actually be able to attend. I bet a lot of the leghumpers that gave money don't even live in the state. So basically they just have Cross Church donors? I wonder what the non-Duggar Cross Church members really think of the Duggars. It's interesting that people who home churched suddenly are all up in Cross Church, especially when they can give them a platform and their parishioners can give them money.

If they have a real 501-C-3 anyone that gave them money can ask for financial statements to see how the money is spent. I might sent them $1 to get the financials, it would be good reading.

insane

if they are filming this for TLC which I bet to hell they are - I hope the crew films the money donation boxes

the balls on these people is amazing

Apparently they haven't left yet as they were spotted in Silver Dollar City today.

Clearly they are spreading the good news of God's love by hanging out at Fundie Disney World all day (and that better be on JB or TLC's dime and not their gullib--I mean GENEROUS--donors').

Are there any photos of them at SDC? Just curious. I would not be surprised if the TLC crew tagged along. It makes for a perfect 8 minutes for one of the specials.

Archived