IGNORED

All Things Dillard - Part 6

happy atheist

He did claim to be an IMB missionary at one point; it was on his LinkedIn page in March 2014. The IMB claim has since been removed, but it was discussed here.

viewtopic.php?f=87&t=21226&p=711200&hilit=nepal+imb#p711200

viewtopic.php?f=87&t=21707&p=734542&hilit=linkedin#p734542

viewtopic.php?f=87&t=25178&p=891123&hilit=linkedin+derick#p891123

viewtopic.php?f=87&t=25178&p=891123&hilit=linkedin+derick#p891394

IMB references were removed at some point prior to June 2015:

viewtopic.php?f=87&t=26219&p=966057&hilit=linkedin+derick#p966057

It's interesting to me that he would scrub IMB from his resume. Was there a falling out? Did they ask him to cease and desist? :lol: Maybe he doesn't want people to infer he's still with them, just because he was in the past. That would be very moral of him, which is why I don't think it's what happened. :wink-kitty:

Where's Palimpsest? I would love to get a mission kid's thoughts on this.

The plot thickens...

You know, I really did think that Derick was a more honorable sort of person, and I believed his missionary experience in Nepal was legit. But dude, if you spent all your time in Nepal working at a hostel and occasionally pestering Nepalis about Jesus, just say so. But I guess "I'm basically every other Western backpacker in Nepal except I don't have white guy dreads" wouldn't have sounded as good to the Duggar clan.

• Replies 944
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I said it from the beginning--anyone who could look at Jim Bob and think, "Hey, I really admire that godly man and would like him to pray for me!" is clearly not someone who can be trusted.

If you think about it, Derick has absolutely no background or professional training that would qualify him to do legitimate mission work, unless you're talking about the Duggar mission model: Show up, talk about Jeezass, take some pictures with the locals. Pass the hat, go to the bank. That's not unique to the Duggars--it's been used by other cults for years. The stupidity of JB and Company to try to pull off a mission grift in plain sight of the internet is astonishing. They really are a sheltered, ignorant bunch.

More than that, they're spoiled. For years, the media provided nothing but soft reporting and complementary articles about the Duggars. They knew the family was full of shit, but the Duggars were popular and they provided easy content and dealing with angry fans if they were to be less credulous in their reporting was a battle they weren't interested in fighting. The only people who were truly critical were ex-fundies like "No Longer Quivering" and those of us who take the time to to join communities centered around tv shows--people easily dismissed, in other words. That's what the Duggars are used to--having their statements taken at face value by the media with no one credible calling them out on it. But now they're post two scandals and the media has stopped pretending, and they haven't figured out how to adjust to this new reality. That Inquisitor article (I know, not exactly a legitimate rag, but still) about Jill and Derrick's going away party is huge when you think about it. They thought that could throw this potluck "thank you" party for their "financial partners" with only three days notice and assumed no one but random internet haters would think anything weird was going on. The fact that the writer said that the party was likely because TLC needed something to film blew my mind, because I don't think any reporter, anywhere, has ever acknowledged that the Duggars only do certain things specifically for the show.

Of course they also think they are fully qualified to preach to others. I mean they have so much education in that direction and great people skills and all. wonder if this will stop them?

so Jill married a not quite missionary, and now they are roaming around on a Jesus vacation while grifting and pretending to be missionaries? :pink-shock:

We have a heart for mission work my ass!!! In the article a page back it said that Derrick hasn’t even taken an accreted college religions class. I took 3 during my AA and my Bachelors as an art student because you have to take extracurricular classes and this stuff interest me.

FRAUD!!!! I had so much hope for you Jilly Muffin. You have let me down.

Just to be random, I found this just now: :lol:

I would make only one change - Ben should be wearing that fools cap sideways, cuz that's how he rolls y'all!

I had no idea that a missionary needed college credits in order to gain a church sponsor to work in the field, but I guess it makes sense. I would have thought that both Dillards would have at least taken some correspondence classes to that effect or something.

Our church, *mainstream Protestant* sends missionaries out all the time, of all sizes & stripes. No one ever said we needed credentials the likes of which you folks are talking about. They work under the supervision of someone w/all that. They are called to the pulpit, answer some questions read from the Book of Order, prayed on & they go on their way.

35 years ago I was involved in sending missionaries out into "the field" they were all quite well educated or had a useful profession or skill; nursing, physician, teacher, engineer. this was with a large non denominational organization. Dedicated to serving the local populations and training local churches for service. This dillard thing is despicable.

Scam artists masquerading as missionaries.

The apple did not fall far from the scam artist tree. It is almost a case study into how gullible and lazy so many appear to be. Derick and Ben both just slide right into the Duggar scammer lifestyle.

Face it, everyone (well maybe not JD) involved in this operation has the lazy, scammer gene.

It's like one of those bad episodes of "what would you do," that show where they film people doing outrageous things, and then watch how others respond and why!

YEah I was one of those taken in by Derick at first, hoping he would be the gateway for Jill to become fundie lite. I think I assumed that he was an undercover missionary in Nepal because it might be one of those places in the world where it is illegal to be a missionary. Gradually though the truth has been revealed and I've come to realize that he is a weak, weak man who will become a tool of Jill and her Dad. I think it was when he quit his job that the alarm bells went off.

Perhaps they are biding time until they can tag along as volunteers on another trip with SOS Ministries. They spent at least $5,000 to tour with that group in August

Well no wonder that I thought the pictures had more of a Club Med feel to them than a Club Jesus. It looked to me like they had a private room and their meals were being cooked by others. Plus they seemed to be playing a lot of games and acting in skits rather than doing anything serious. What a farce! I hope every leg humper that gave them a dime will wake up to who the Duggars and the Dillards really are and what they stand for: Me, Myself, And I.

I think a fair amount of us hoped that Derrick with his worldly experience would be able to take Jill into mainstream society but after a year I think that hope has gone away.

This so called missionary they set up has proven to be a disaster at least from a PR standpoint. The reason being they haven't been as transparent as they needed to be which is greatly hampering any goodwill that was left after this summer scandal. To a certain extent I think Ben & Jessa been more transparent then the Dillards because at they flat said they wanted gift cards for themselves. And truthfully I wonder if TLC will be able to any form of a good spin on this.

As for Jim Bob wanting an accountant in the family to work the books.... well duh.Although he probably already had one on the pay role since before he ran for office.

I'm wondering, how will this news effect the TLC special? It was supposed to show the Dullards as they prepare to be missionaries IIRC. So, now it will be a special about vacations and language classes?

I hope this drives the point home to Jill that her parents idea of a "proper education" is more of a detriment than a benefit...

It would be a hell of a lot easier for Derrick to take the classes he needs to get accredited as a missionary with IMB than it will for Jill.

The IMB is only for Missionaries specifically supported by Southern Baptist Convention. It isn't the only organization through which you can be a missionary. There are legit missionaries that go through other organizations.

Is the concern that they are not IMB sponsored... or just in general they are not really sponsored by anyone?

Does SOS only use IMB sponsored missionaries?

I think Jill likes the idea of being a missionary but I don't think she wants to be a real one. I can't see Jill actually helping people improve their lives, outside of religion, day in and day out. Real missionaries work to better the lives of others. They don't spend their time sightseeing and taking selfies. They don't fly home every month. They make real sacrifices in their own lives in order to follow their passion of helping others. Real missionaries can actually articulate the work they have done. It's hard, sometimes depressing work. It's not for those that just want to play missionary and then go home when they get the sniffles.

The IMB is only for Missionaries specifically supported by Southern Baptist Convention. It isn't the only organization through which you can be a missionary. There are legit missionaries that go through other organizations.

Is the concern that they are not IMB sponsored... or just in general they are not really sponsored by anyone?

Does SOS only use IMB sponsored missionaries?

I think the concern is that they are not certified by anyone and are taking "charity vacations" and calling it "missionary" work. They were also deceptive in their social media; especially Derrick's Instagram post stating they were "officially commissioned" by their church. That certainly implies some sort of formal certification. To make matters worse, despite being well-off, they took money from the public by implying that they were performing mission work.

I think the concern is that they are not certified by anyone and are taking "charity vacations" and calling it "missionary" work. They were also deceptive in their social media; especially Derrick's Instagram post stating they were "officially commissioned" by their church. That certainly implies some sort of formal certification. To make matters worse, despite being well-off, they took money from the public by implying that they were performing mission work.

Bottom line is that they are liars and they need to be investigated for fraud.

[quote=i

How much does Cross Church have to answer to IMB/SBC for the money it doles out to missionaries? It surprises me that a church who would bring a couple who've accomplished nothing except being part of the Duggar clan up on stage for the whole congregation to pray for would be that selective in who they give their money. But I don't know how fundie churches work so maybe it's a common thing to give the spotlight to any member? I'm guessing Cross Church couldn't give the Dullards money because IMB would have been on their ass.

I don't comment often, but I do know a little bit about how missionary giving in a SBC church works (My husband and I do community development work in the inner city and have one SBC church that supports our work.)

SBC churches are pretty independent, but they all give a set percentage of their givings to the SBC mission board, that board decides which missionaries that the SBC supports. Each individual church can, by their own choosing support individual missionaries in addition to that as they wish, that is how we are supported, and we are not a part of that church, but the church is supportive of the work we do.

wait this seems like an important point...if they aren't qualified to be SBC missionaries, perhaps cross church really is sponsoring them separately. just a thought, since they never said they were actually sbc sponsored, right?

edited: bc the quotes got weird

As far as I'm concerned, if they said they were officially commissioned by Cross Church, that means exactly what it says: That one or both has a master's degree in ministry/missions/church planting, etc., and that the other (the qualified spouse) has 12 credit hours in religious studies, and thus Cross Church is paying them to perform missions work abroad.

However, neither has the required credentials, and because of this, Cross Church does not endorse their work, or compensate them for it. Which means... THEY LIED. Plain and simple. There is no grey area here, and no deceit by omission/rearranging facts. Only the literal definition of lying. I'm amazed that for all their conservative upbringing, not one of the Duggars has any concept of lying being a sin. They lie like other people sleep, eat, drink, etc. :doh:

I think Jill likes the idea of being a missionary but I don't think she wants to be a real one. I can't see Jill actually helping people improve their lives, outside of religion, day in and day out. Real missionaries work to better the lives of others. They don't spend their time sightseeing and taking selfies. They don't fly home every month. They make real sacrifices in their own lives in order to follow their passion of helping others. Real missionaries can actually articulate the work they have done. It's hard, sometimes depressing work. It's not for those that just want to play missionary and then go home when they get the sniffles.

I'd imagine a real missionary, working in incredibly difficult circumstances, doing hard work day in and day out is probably not going to have time, energy or money for child after child after child! Unless Jill is a missionary with a nanny, how will she do it with 5+ children under 5?

I'd imagine a real missionary, working in incredibly difficult circumstances, doing hard work day in and day out is probably not going to have time, energy or money for child after child after child! Unless Jill is a missionary with a nanny, how will she do it with 5+ children under 5?

can you imagine a dugger doing real work? easier to grift.

I really wish they would just come out and say the full story, for example:

Hey! We are going to be in Central America as SOS volunteers for a couple months while we get to know the ropes and language of the local people. We have a couple trips planned back to the US for various wedding and/or previously planned engagements and to finish packing up the house (although why we wouldn't have packed up knowing we were leaving way in advance is kind of strange IMHO) We plan to go back and continue to work alongside SOS ministries reps until we complete our languages classes.

I mean would that have really been hard? They didn't even have to give away any location data, there was no security concerns with such a statement, yet allowed then to be fully transparent.

The lack of transparency, only makes everyone ask what really happened, or what is really going on... and even worse, makes everyone question if they are even missionaries or planned on being missionaries. :penguin-no: :penguin-no: :penguin-no:

the up side of them being complete and total frauds is the people of South America will be spared from the Dillys trying to get them to accept baby Jesus on a full time basis.

Archived