IGNORED

2023/24 NCAA Women's Basketball

47of74

Some good news for all of us Iowa fans today.  A certain young lady has beaten the all time scoring record book for NCAA women's basketball!

Well that didn't take long.

With — what else? — a logo 3 just 132 seconds into the game vs. Michigan on Thursday, Caitlin Clark, the senior from Iowa, surpassed former Washington All-American Kelsey Plum to move into first place in the NCAA scoring record book. And the game isn’t even over yet. 

So what’s next for Clark? 

She is on pace to break Pete Maravich’s record of 3,667 points, set from 1967-70 when he played at LSU, toward the end of Iowa’s regular season. But the record that might matter even more to women’s basketball historians and junkies is 3,649. That’s how many points Lynette Woodard, a Wichita native, scored when she played at Kansas from 1977-81. That was before the NCAA ran women’s college sports though, so Woodard’s record is in the AIWA record books instead of the NCAA record books. 

• Upvote 1

breakitownit.png.458cf2a17432e6825f6a59e6547dfb98.png

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Caitlin is entering the WNBA draft

Iowa Senior Caitlin Clark has officially announced that she will enter the 2024 WNBA draft and forego her final season of college eligibility.

Clark has scored the most points by any major college women’s player to ever take the court. Clark also broke the NCAA single-season record by sinking eight 3-pointers for a total of 156 in 2023-24.

She is expected to break Pete Maravich’s all-time scoring record this Sunday when the Hawks play #2 Ohio State. She only needs 18 points to accomplish that feat.

“While this season is far from over and we have a lot more goals to achieve, it will be my last one at Iowa. I am excited to be entering the 2024 WNBA Draft...”

As I understand she had another season of eligibility as a 5th year season but as the article says she only needs another 18 to break the all time college record for college basketball.

• 1 month later...

Yeah, I'm a happy Iowa fan tonight.

Iowa has punched its ticket to the Final Four on Monday, extending all-star shooter Caitlin Clark’s college basketball career at least one more game and dashing LSU’s hopes for a repeat championship. 

The Hawkeyes beat the Tigers 94-87 in Albany, New York, and now advance to Cleveland, where they'll play the winner of the USC Trojans and Connecticut Huskies game.

This year's matchup between Clark and LSU's Angel Reese comes earlier in the tournament than last year, when they faced off for the national championship.

Tigerhawk-goldonblack@2x.thumb.png.636ea2bd8acc493fb280482300c18014.pngs

• Upvote 1

More good news....

• 2 weeks later...

Caitlin has been selected by the Indiana Fever....

There was never a doubt who the Indiana Fever would select with the first pick in Monday’s WNBA Draft. When a bonafide superstar like Caitlin Clark is available, the choice is easy.

Picking No. 1 overall for a second straight season, the Fever selected the phenom guard from the University of Iowa.

With Clark, the Fever acquired a transcendent talent that has already become a household name by captivating audiences with her savant-like skills on the court and incandescent spirit.

Now, she’s ready to make her mark on the WNBA.

• Upvote 1

Though I kind of wish the Lynx had been able to select her since it'd be easier to go watch her play at home games.

We are mighty proud of Dawn Staley who coached the University of South Carolina women's Gamecocks to not only an undefeated season, but the NCAA championship.  We're proud of the players, too.  

• Upvote 1

I'm so happy that Alissa Pili, from Anchorage (Alaska Native & Samoan, born in Utqiagvik) was 8th pick and going to the Lynx!