IGNORED

Duggar Aviation Part 2

happy atheist

• Replies 783
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I apologize. It wasn't 6 states. (But it is 5.) I misremembered the riddle. The question is, there is one state in the U.S. from which you can drive due south and end up in each of the states that surrounds it. Name that state!

BTW, no one has guessed the right state yet, even with the corrected question.

I'll post the answer later tonight.

I apologize. It wasn't 6 states. (But it is 5.) I misremembered the riddle. The question is, there is one state in the U.S. from which you can drive due south and end up in each of the states that surrounds it. Name that state!

End up in 5 states that SURROUNDS it? I don't get it. HA!

It's Pennsylvania.

ETA: Also, I actually counted six, but it may only technically be 5. It's hard to tell from the map.

I don't think it's Pennsylvania? I'm not seeing how you can drive due south in Pennsylvania and end up in Ohio.

I don't think it's Pennsylvania? I'm not seeing how you can drive due south in Pennsylvania and end up in Ohio.

There are definitely four: West Virginia, Maryland, Delaware, and New Jersey. Whether or not its true of Ohio and New York seems to depend on the overall shape of the map you look it. Maps that are flat make it seem impossible, but maps designed with a subtle curve to match the curve of the earth make it look plausible.

Okay, here's the answer. It's Arkansas! (Not saying there aren't others, but this is the only one I'm aware of.) And I was right the first time. There are 6 states which border AR, not 5.

Beginning to the south and moving clockwise...

1. You can drive straight south into Louisiana along the southern border. (This one is obvious.)

2. You can drive straight south into Texas from the SW corner near Texarkana (where Texas cuts a corner out of AR).

3. The NW border between AR and OK from the NW corner of the state down to around Fort Smith slopes slightly SSE; therefore, from the upper NW corner of AR you can drive straight south into Oklahoma.

4. The western border of the Missouri bootheel slopes SW; therefore, from the part of AR in the notch near the top of the bootheel you can drive straight south into Missouri (and right back into Arkansas).

5. There are several places along the NE AR-Tennessee border where walking or driving due south would put you in TN.

That's five. Now, here's the tricky part. It's not actually a trick, but most people aren't aware that the border between Arkansas and TN and MS does not exactly follow the middle of the Mississippi River. Until recently when I was nosing around the satellite views on Google Maps I wasn't either. Here are two examples. In the first, right across the river from Memphis, the state line is on the western side of the river. Not that there's a paved road right there, but technically you could drive if there were, and you can walk (if it's not flood season) from AR straight south into TN on the western side of the river. I have seen that whole stretch from the river for several miles into Arkansas completely submerged in the spring. This is but one place north and south of Memphis where the line between AR and TN and AR and MS meanders from one side of the river to the other. In fact, if you really want to boggle your mind, there's more than one place where you can walk due WEST from Arkansas into Tennessee.

There are chunks of TN and MS that are on the western side of the river. There are chunks of AR and LA that are on the eastern side of the river which you can see if you pan up and down the river. There's a place just a few miles south of Memphis where the AR-MS line veers to the east of the river where you can walk due south from Arkansas into Mississippi.

So... you can drive (or walk) due south from Arkansas and end up in LA, TX, OK, MO, TN, or MS.

Thank you for playing Geography Trivia!

post-159-14452000887048_thumb.jpg

Tennessee

Okay, here's the answer. It's Arkansas! (Not saying there aren't others, but this is the only one I'm aware of.) And I was right the first time. There are 6 states which border AR, not 5.

Beginning to the south and moving clockwise...

[snip]

Thanks, watchdog. 8-)

Anyone who likes this should check out the show "How the States Got Their Shapes".

So... where's da plane today? :)

The plane is still in Big Sandy.

I lied when I said I could go hundreds of miles in any direction and still be in California. How could I forget that I'm only 20 miles from the ocean? :doh: #moregeographyfail #dontdrivewest :lol:

I lied when I said I could go hundreds of miles in any direction and still be in California. How could I forget that I'm only 20 miles from the ocean? :doh: #moregeographyfail #dontdrivewest :lol:

If I walked 1 mile north and turned west, 27 blocks later I'd be getting my feet wet at Manhattan Beach. But it's all hilly and stuff. I haven't gone into the Pacific Ocean in years though.

I wonder if JD is 'guest lecturing' (or providing aviation testimony...) as the Alert Aviation course gets underway?

Keeping tabs on Duggar comings and goings by land, sea, and sky…

Looks like JB drove to Florida and is on the way back, stopping over at the Bates' place. Jeer and Jed are on Lawson's Instagram today, riding horses with Law and Trace.

(Over the weekend, JB, Jeer, and Jed were spotted at Epcot, and we speculated that they may have delivered Anna, Meredith, and Marcus to Anna's parents' house in Florida for a visit (as far as I know, Marcus wasn't in Arkansas photos over the weekend; Kynzie and Michael were)).

The Cirrus is on its way from Big Sandy back to Springdale.

efEycbxh.png

Here's the screenshot! Flight Aware inexplicably added a second leg to the flight, terminating at 0°, 0° off the coast of Ghana, which I took the liberty of editing out of the picture. :wink-kitty:

efEycbxh.png

Here's the screenshot! Flight Aware inexplicably added a second leg to the flight, terminating at 0°, 0° off the coast of Ghana, which I took the liberty of editing out of the picture. :wink-kitty:

I noticed that extra leg as well, and followed it just in case it meant something (from the angle at first I thought it was heading to Florida, which could have been interesting, but it seems it was probably just a glitch...)

Flight Aware inexplicably added a second leg to the flight, terminating at 0°, 0° off the coast of Ghana, which I took the liberty of editing out of the picture. :wink-kitty:

I too saw the extra leg and thought, 'yo, Cirrus gone rogue!'

And then, to get silly fanciful, I mused that JD had transported Josh to Big Sandy for Alert decommissioning (the exorcism at RU having failed) and then dropped him over Ghana like those Bible verse care-a-chutes the Duggars assembled way back when at the Voice of the Martyrs ministry in Bartlesville, OK.

• 2 weeks later...

The Cirrus is getting ready to leave Springdale, headed for Jacksboro, Tennessee.

The Cirrus is getting ready to leave Springdale, headed for Jacksboro, Tennessee.

Apparently they (Jinger, Joy and David) met up with Bateses and Joseph and attended a Razorbacks game in Knoxville.

ETA (Check out Duggar Family Facebook page.)

Here's your screenshot!

4wFTmRHh.png

Cirrus. Springdale to Jacksboro, TN. 700 miles. 3.5 hours by air, 11 hours by car.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived