IGNORED

Dimbulb the control freak killed the girls' spinoff.

Beammeup

There is nothing entertaining about 2 families with no jobs, or skills living their lives...If there were, lots of people in America would be flooding the networks for TEEEVEEEE shows.

Nothing special about the Dillards or Seewalds that any advertiser would pay good money to support.

It's a business-

I really don't see how it would be any more pointless than, say, the new show that premiered after " I am Cait". Its called the Hamilton - Stewart's ( or maybe the other way around ) It's a show about a bunch of siblings / step- siblings / parents / ex's located in Hollywood. George Hamiliton and Rod Stewart's family. None of them seem to do anything. The main premis of the first episode was a teen age boy losing his virginity and then having his - adult- siblings jokingly call the girl to ask if she was pregnant. And drinking. Lots of drinking. Is there ANYTHING more boring than watching other people be sloppy drunk?

Or you have shows about people who live in swamps. Or scary plastic ladies. Nothing entertaining there either.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really don't see how it would be any more pointless than, say, the new show that premiered after " I am Cait". Its called the Hamilton - Stewart's ( or maybe the other way around ) It's a show about a bunch of siblings / step- siblings / parents / ex's located in Hollywood. George Hamiliton and Rod Stewart's family. None of them seem to do anything. The main premis of the first episode was a teen age boy losing his virginity and then having his - adult- siblings jokingly call the girl to ask if she was pregnant. And drinking. Lots of drinking. Is there ANYTHING more boring than watching other people be sloppy drunk?

Or you have shows about people who live in swamps. Or scary plastic ladies. Nothing entertaining there either.

Yeah, I think TLC would do a Duggar Daughter spin-off if companies would be willing to sponsor it(which they won't). If Jim-Boob wasn't such a narcissistic douche, I bet Jill and Jessa wouldn't mind participating in a spin-off. They seem to enjoy the spotlight and the perks with having fame(not a bad thing). TLC would just set up a bunch of semi-interesting scenarios and trips...leg humpers would flock to it like flies do to a pile a shit.

The molestation and those Megyn Kelly interviews will never go away.

IF COMPANIES WOULD BE WILLING TO SPONSOR (which they won't)- EXACTLY- that's why it won't happen.

It's a business before all else.

If people are entertained by pointless, as MM suggests, there's always another candidate right under the next rock. One that has not been tainted by something like molestation (yet).

I don't watch reality on "E", but E is geared to millennials, who will (evidently) watch almost anything if the people starring are wealthy, don't have to work for a living, and do stuff that people in their 20's and 30's aspire to. The people involved are also famous, which is an added draw. (If anyone watching E had any taste at all they wouldn't have employed Giuliana Rancic for so long, but that's another discussion.) The Kardashians do nothing but parade around in Louboutins and eat out of take-out containers, and that show's been on for 10 years. Many younger people want their lifestyle. They don't aspire to the Duggars'.

I realize I am old and therefore my viewing habits are not the desired demographic, but we watch a lot of TV due to the fact I have chronic illness and we live in a rural area. Here's the reality I watch. My husband likes everything with police officers/Alaska Coast Guard/cooking.

The Little Couple

Treehouse Masters (the owner's place is about fifteen miles from our house, FWIW.)

Pit Bulls and Parolees

American Ninja Warrior

Say Yes to the Dress, but I'm rapidly becoming disenchanted with it

The Pioneer Woman

The Property Brothers

Let's discuss what the above shows have in common, shall we? I've had enough of watching stuff that people are screaming at each other. I'm bailing on SYTTD because the producers are so desperate for conflict that they're manufacturing it. Every show I mentioned has something of interest happening at all times. (The Little Couple's kids are growing up, Treehouse Masters is building a fabulous treehouse for someone, Pitbulls and Parolees shows the reality of caring for and rehoming rescue dogs, The Pioneer Woman shows life on their ranch and there's always something to eat. American Ninja Warrior is over the top, but always entertaining. The Property Brothers have two 6'5" hunks that want to have their way with you -- oops, your house.)

My point, and I do have one -- the Duggars' ratings were falling like a rock before the courtships and babies. Now that we know the courtships, weddings and babies will ALL be the same, there's nothing to tune in for. Imagine the fun involved in watching Jilly Muffin cut derickdillard's hair or watching Jessa Blessa clean her postage-stamp-sized house. If TLC thought there was a market for a spinoff (or more Duggars), why did they pull the plug on televising FAMY's wedding? There's no storylines, there's no interest, and there sure as hell is no financing.

I realize I am old and therefore my viewing habits are not the desired demographic, but we watch a lot of TV due to the fact I have chronic illness and we live in a rural area. Here's the reality I watch. My husband likes everything with police officers/Alaska Coast Guard/cooking.

The Little Couple

Treehouse Masters (the owner's place is about fifteen miles from our house, FWIW.)

Pit Bulls and Parolees

American Ninja Warrior

The Pioneer Woman

The Property Brothers

Let's discuss what the above shows have in common, shall we? I've had enough of watching stuff that people are screaming at each other. I'm bailing on SYTTD because the producers are so desperate for conflict that they're manufacturing it. Every show I mentioned has something of interest happening at all times. (The Little Couple's kids are growing up, Treehouse Masters is building a fabulous treehouse for someone, Pitbulls and Parolees shows the reality of caring for and rehoming rescue dogs, The Pioneer Woman shows life on their ranch and there's always something to eat. American Ninja Warrior is over the top, but always entertaining. The Property Brothers have two 6'5" hunks that want to have their way with you -- oops, your house.)

Rainytown: do you sit next to me on my couch? I watch all the same stuff. I LOVE the Treehouse guy.. Pete. Mr. Four and I have actually discussed going out there to stay at his B&B in the trees. And Property Brothers... yeah. They can work on my house ANYTIME. Not to mention Income Property's Scott McGillivray..... :o

Rainytown,

1. In one of the earlier seasons, the girls made of a list of their favorite books(a TLC graphic compared their list to a high school reading list). Most of the books were Christian themed. I think they talked about the "Prince Charming"

The books they read are for pre-teen Christians. And this is interesting, why? To prove that they read something besides the Bible and yet scenes showing them reading for pleasure or discussing their books never made the show. Why do you think that is? Could it be they have nothing interesting to say besides "It was an awesome book."?

2.You don't think viewers knew about their beliefs. Are viewers that stupid??? The modest clothes, the girls taking care of their siblings the hand sex, no kissing and touching before marriage, chaperones, 19 KIDS??????

They hid the whole Quiverful/ATI/Gothard agenda very well. Yes, fans understand they are Christian but not cult-type Christians who do a lot of weird things (such as perm their hair because Gothard likes permed hair.) Also I don't believe the average viewer had any idea how closely the adult children are sticking to JB's dictates because this is mind-boggling to most people. Why do you think the snark is so strong here at FJ? The Duggars are off the charts.

3. I think they're allowed to see Christian movies. I remember Jessa attending a country music performance with her in laws a few months ago. Jill saw a Disney show, and the Duggars attend sporting events. They don't read the bible all day.

No one said they read the Bible all day. Mostly what they do is clean and take care of children. What Bin and Jessa do all day is anybody's guess because they don't have children to take care of yet. Judging by the pictures they mostly hang out at the big house. And one visit to Broadway to see a G-rated musical hardly means they are cultivated people who go see a lot of shows. Think about what you are saying, it is very easy to list everything they have done in the last year or two because it is so rare for them to go out in the world and do relatively normal things like go to a ballgame.

4. They have friends. If you look through social media, you'll see the Duggar kids hanging out with friends. Jessa had 4 friends in her wedding party, we've seen photos of Jill with friend. Zach Bates called JD one of his best friends.

Strange how these friends never featured on the show while it was running. Which leads me to believe that either the friends do not want to appear on a show or JB did not want anyone to think his family had any outside friends (as per Gothard's dictates.)

5.Any show with Josh, Michelle and Jim Bob would have trouble getting advertisers or sponsors.

Rainytown: do you sit next to me on my couch? I watch all the same stuff. I LOVE the Treehouse guy.. Pete. Mr. Four and I have actually discussed going out there to stay at his B&B in the trees. And Property Brothers... yeah. They can work on my house ANYTIME. Not to mention Income Property's Scott McGillivray..... :o

I don't watch TV cause I don't have cable. But, I do love me some Property Brothers, Income Property, and Rehab Addict. Scott is hot, and so is Jonathan. But, Matt Muenster is straight up my man crush. I met him in person once (I tried to get him to crash my bath, but it didn't happen) and omg he's so much better in real life. Too bad he's married.

Oh, and today, either Jonathan or Drew (I think it was Jonathan) posted a picture of him arm wrestling against Mike Holmes Jr. That is FINE AS FUCK! Holy shit. I can't take it.

Food for thought....someone mentioned earlier in the thread why JB would have a say in the girls having a spin off...what if he's got some power of attorney over them? Even if it's just financial or pertaining to that particular network? Them getting married wouldn't necessarily negate any documents JB put in place when they were minors.....would it?

That s.o.b. is just savvy enough to have pulled something like that to maintain control over the clan.

Food for thought....someone mentioned earlier in the thread why JB would have a say in the girls having a spin off...what if he's got some power of attorney over them? Even if it's just financial or pertaining to that particular network? Them getting married wouldn't necessarily negate any documents JB put in place when they were minors.....would it?

That s.o.b. is just savvy enough to have pulled something like that to maintain control over the clan.

Power of attorney doesn't work that way. He doesn't have a conservatorship through the court system so he can't really do anything he wants and they have no recourse to stop him. People usually get power of attorney so someone can sign documents because they are sick, maybe travel a lot or just to handle matters a client/family doesn't want to deal with. A power of attorney can be revoked at any time at any moment. A conservatorship needs court approval because the party is incapacitated in some way and cannot make decisions. Even if Jim Bob had power of attorney to negotiate and sign contracts for any of the kids, they could stop his ability to do so on the spot. I highly doubt he has power of attorney as there is no reason for it. The kids will sign whatever he tells them to.

I don't watch reality on "E", but E is geared to millennials, who will (evidently) watch almost anything if the people starring are wealthy, don't have to work for a living, and do stuff that people in their 20's and 30's aspire to. The people involved are also famous, which is an added draw. (If anyone watching E had any taste at all they wouldn't have employed Giuliana Rancic for so long, but that's another discussion.) The Kardashians do nothing but parade around in Louboutins and eat out of take-out containers, and that show's been on for 10 years. Many younger people want their lifestyle. They don't aspire to the Duggars'.

The Little Couple

Pit Bulls and Parolees

American Ninja Warrior

The Pioneer Woman

The Property Brothers

My point, and I do have one -- the Duggars' ratings were falling like a rock before the courtships and babies. Now that we know the courtships, weddings and babies will ALL be the same, there's nothing to tune in for. Imagine the fun involved in watching Jilly Muffin cut derickdillard's hair or watching Jessa Blessa clean her postage-stamp-sized house. If TLC thought there was a market for a spinoff (or more Duggars), why did they pull the plug on televising FAMY's wedding? There's no storylines, there's no interest, and there sure as hell is no financing.

I think that the reason why the Kardashian franchise and knock-off like the Stewart-Hamilton show are popular is simply because "ordinary young people" like watching rich, pretty, young things being rich, pretty, and young. The Kardashians in particular have an "ethnic beauty" that is appealing to a lot of women of various races who don't fit into the Grace Kelly blonde hair/blue eyes paradigm. That and their undeniable ability to hustle gains them admiration for some quarters. And as vapid and bizarre as the Kardashians are, they do have a sort of "family values" that in retrospect comes off as more "wholesome" than the Duggars in certain aspects (I can't believe I just defended the Kardashians as "wholesome"; I need help).

In comparison, not too many people want to be like the Duggars. While fundie lites may have voiced their admiration for the family pre-Joshgate and might still be defending them now to some extent, if they really wanted to be like the Duggars, they'd be joining ATI, tossing their TV, doing isolationist homeschooling, and all the works. Those fundies who were actually like the Duggars probably didn't watch the show, because they don't believe in TV. Unlike the Kardashians, the Duggars don't have any products to shill, unless you count the various ATI programs that they covertly advertised on the show. The entire appeal of the Duggars was in their freak show nature, and now that Joshgate showed how freaky the family is, their mainstream fans left for greener pastures.

[quote="Beammeup"

Goes to show he doesn't really release those girls to their husband. He still will demand control over them.

What a pathetic piece of Shit Dim bulb is.

Someone mentions Michelle reading an abridged Little House on the Prairie aloud to all the kids once, and one time we see Joy Anna reading a Boxcar Children book!

TBH what would a daughter spinoff have to offer that skimming the facebook page of your old pal from high school that kinda failed to launch does not? These people don't really have anything to set them apart from any other bland white girl with 1.5 babies and an infinity scarf you might meet. And deliberating whether to put cream o' mushroom or cream o' celery in your casserole tonight does not exactly make for riveting television.

burn! :worship: :worship: :worship:

:laughing-rolling:

I think that the reason why the Kardashian franchise and knock-off like the Stewart-Hamilton show are popular is simply because "ordinary young people" like watching rich, pretty, young things being rich, pretty, and young. The Kardashians in particular have an "ethnic beauty" that is appealing to a lot of women of various races who don't fit into the Grace Kelly blonde hair/blue eyes paradigm. That and their undeniable ability to hustle gains them admiration for some quarters. And as vapid and bizarre as the Kardashians are, they do have a sort of "family values" that in retrospect comes off as more "wholesome" than the Duggars in certain aspects (I can't believe I just defended the Kardashians as "wholesome"; I need help).

In comparison, not too many people want to be like the Duggars. While fundie lites may have voiced their admiration for the family pre-Joshgate and might still be defending them now to some extent, if they really wanted to be like the Duggars, they'd be joining ATI, tossing their TV, doing isolationist homeschooling, and all the works. Those fundies who were actually like the Duggars probably didn't watch the show, because they don't believe in TV. Unlike the Kardashians, the Duggars don't have any products to shill, unless you count the various ATI programs that they covertly advertised on the show. The entire appeal of the Duggars was in their freak show nature, and now that Joshgate showed how freaky the family is, their mainstream fans left for greener pastures.

I think there should be a separate category for shows that feature real people - but the theme is some sort of contest or a particular skill. There's a lot of overlap, of course, but shows like Treehouse Masters or any of the renovation / talent shows seem very different than the shows focused primarily on the characters personal lives and interactions.

This is veering off- topic, but I had a Kardashian's marathon going on the other day. The episodes were from a couple of years ago. I'd only caught a couple of episodes previously. I've got to say, the shows that featured the parents --- uggggg. They both seemed like pretty horrible people. Just mind blowingly shallow and money / fame/ materialism obsessed . And rude. So rude. The mother was just a nightmare - the two youngest girls were still in high school and off on full- time modeling gigs. They kept trying to tell the mom how completely overwhelmed they were and worn out and they couldn't keep up. They wanted to switch to a remote learning program ( not exactly home school - closer to a private tutor ). The mom just basically kept telling them they were lazy. One girl didn't want to go to school because she was sure she'd fail a test - the moms main concern was that having to drive her to school made her late to the gym and her private trainer. Every interaction with her kids or husband seemed like that - what was best for Kris.

The whole show was like that, completely self- absorbed. One daughter was pregnant and interested in observing a water birth, got some idiot woman to agree to let her be there. The daughter sat there, chomping on gum like it was cud, staring at the woman like she was a zoo exhibit the whole time, while her sister acted like a fool.

Another episode was all about one couple debating whether they should have anal sex, complete with vegetable demonstrations, And discussing with their siblings their views on anal sex. And the husband describing , a lot, what he thought his wife's sisters did in bed.

And then there's the whole thing of Cait Jenner suddenly being a saint . I get that it's courageous what she did, and an incredibly difficult thing, and a great role model, and increasing public awareness and all that - but - as a dad on the show, they did a storyline with his older sons, and they were clearly distressed he hadn't been there for them and they felt left out of his life. His attitude! So mean and dismissive and telling them to get over it. And Bruce was, in general, in those shows, just basically a very self involved , materialistic douche. -- I'm not sure of the protocol, someone please correct me if I'm wrong - I'm referring to Caitlin Jenner with female pronouns from the time she decided to use them. But using male pronouns for the time previous. Is that correct? If it's wrong and it should be all female pronouns , even when Referring to Bruce on the show , let me know :embarrassed:

I know I'm probably being too harsh about them. They obviously do have some good traits and care deeply for each other -- but overall, the impression I got was of some incredibly vapid people.

But what do I know. One of my favorite reality shows is Naked and Afraid - where the goal seems to be to find a situation harsh enough for people to actually die on camera :lol:

I think there should be a separate category for shows that feature real people - but the theme is some sort of contest or a particular skill. There's a lot of overlap, of course, but shows like Treehouse Masters or any of the renovation / talent shows seem very different than the shows focused primarily on the characters personal lives and interactions.

This is veering off- topic, but I had a Kardashian's marathon going on the other day. The episodes were from a couple of years ago. I'd only caught a couple of episodes previously. I've got to say, the shows that featured the parents --- uggggg. They both seemed like pretty horrible people. Just mind blowingly shallow and money / fame/ materialism obsessed . And rude. So rude. The mother was just a nightmare - the two youngest girls were still in high school and off on full- time modeling gigs. They kept trying to tell the mom how completely overwhelmed they were and worn out and they couldn't keep up. They wanted to switch to a remote learning program ( not exactly home school - closer to a private tutor ). The mom just basically kept telling them they were lazy. One girl didn't want to go to school because she was sure she'd fail a test - the moms main concern was that having to drive her to school made her late to the gym and her private trainer. Every interaction with her kids or husband seemed like that - what was best for Kris.

The whole show was like that, completely self- absorbed. One daughter was pregnant and interested in observing a water birth, got some idiot woman to agree to let her be there. The daughter sat there, chomping on gum like it was cud, staring at the woman like she was a zoo exhibit the whole time, while her sister acted like a fool.

Another episode was all about one couple debating whether they should have anal sex, complete with vegetable demonstrations, And discussing with their siblings their views on anal sex. And the husband describing , a lot, what he thought his wife's sisters did in bed.

And then there's the whole thing of Cait Jenner suddenly being a saint . I get that it's courageous what she did, and an incredibly difficult thing, and a great role model, and increasing public awareness and all that - but - as a dad on the show, they did a storyline with his older sons, and they were clearly distressed he hadn't been there for them and they felt left out of his life. His attitude! So mean and dismissive and telling them to get over it. And Bruce was, in general, in those shows, just basically a very self involved , materialistic douche. -- I'm not sure of the protocol, someone please correct me if I'm wrong - I'm referring to Caitlin Jenner with female pronouns from the time she decided to use them. But using male pronouns for the time previous. Is that correct? If it's wrong and it should be all female pronouns , even when Referring to Bruce on the show , let me know :embarrassed:

I know I'm probably being too harsh about them. They obviously do have some good traits and care deeply for each other -- but overall, the impression I got was of some incredibly vapid people.

But what do I know. One of my favorite reality shows is Naked and Afraid - where the goal seems to be to find a situation harsh enough for people to actually die on camera :lol:

The irony is leghumpers be like "We would be better with more families like the Duggars and less like the Kardashians."

Well, actually I think they're a lot more similar than a lot of people'd care to admit.

ETA link: starmagazine.com/2014/07/14/kardashian-vs-duggar-families-comparisons-family-feud/

And Bruce was, in general, in those shows, just basically a very self involved , materialistic douche. -- I'm not sure of the protocol, someone please correct me if I'm wrong - I'm referring to Caitlin Jenner with female pronouns from the time she decided to use them. But using male pronouns for the time previous. Is that correct? If it's wrong and it should be all female pronouns , even when Referring to Bruce on the show , let me know :embarrassed:

I think you're fine. Generally you're supposed to always used the preferred pronouns even when referring to the past, but in the Sawyer interview Caitlyn said to use male pronouns for her until after she transitioned.

And yeah, both Kris and Caitlyn are shit parents--black-facing, adult dating Kylie is the most obvious example though all the kids are a hot mess. I keep side-eyeing all the love Caitlyn is getting now.

I think you're fine. Generally you're supposed to always used the preferred pronouns even when referring to the past, but in the Sawyer interview Caitlyn said to use male pronouns for her until after she transitioned.

And yeah, both Kris and Caitlyn are shit parents--black-facing, adult dating Kylie is the most obvious example though all the kids are a hot mess. I keep side-eyeing all the love Caitlyn is getting now.

While I think there are SEVERAL problematic things about Caitlyn, I don't think her coming out and being pro-transgender is a bad thing.

That said, I always tend to lean on the side of the Kardashians being more concerned with their image than helping people; so I think their pro-LGBTness is more self serving than anything else. As was Kim's siding with Nicki Minaj when she had the spat with TSwift last week.

While I think there are SEVERAL problematic things about Caitlyn, I don't think her coming out and being pro-transgender is a bad thing.

That said, I always tend to lean on the side of the Kardashians being more concerned with their image than helping people; so I think their pro-LGBTness is more self serving than anything else. As was Kim's siding with Nicki Minaj when she had the spat with TSwift last week.

Oh, absolutely! I didn't mean to imply that her transitioning and coming out is a bad thing at all, just that, while she absolutely deserves equal rights and respect wrt to her identity, she's still kind of a shitty person, and I have a problem with the way she's been almost canonized. Her being transgender and speaking out on trans issue doesn't cancel out everything else we know about her.

Oh, absolutely! I didn't mean to imply that her transitioning and coming out is a bad thing at all, just that, while she absolutely deserves equal rights and respect wrt to her identity, she's still kind of a shitty person, and I have a problem with the way she's been almost canonized. Her being transgender and speaking out on trans issue doesn't cancel out everything else we know about her.

Actually I agree. The same way I think J'Chelle is a shitty person, but she shouldn't face sexist hate.

Power of attorney doesn't work that way. He doesn't have a conservatorship through the court system so he can't really do anything he wants and they have no recourse to stop him. People usually get power of attorney so someone can sign documents because they are sick, maybe travel a lot or just to handle matters a client/family doesn't want to deal with. A power of attorney can be revoked at any time at any moment. A conservatorship needs court approval because the party is incapacitated in some way and cannot make decisions. Even if Jim Bob had power of attorney to negotiate and sign contracts for any of the kids, they could stop his ability to do so on the spot. I highly doubt he has power of attorney as there is no reason for it. The kids will sign whatever he tells them to.

Gotcha.

I agree that they are sheltered and steeped enough in the kool-aid to do whatever daddy tells them to without question.

If you and Mr. Four make it out here and you're not weirded out by some crazy woman on the Internet (LOL), we'd love to meet you for a coffee. ;-) My husband spotted Pete driving a company truck through our hometown several months ago; he joked that he considered following him to say "Hi", but it's not cool (and a bit scary) to follow some guy around that was most likely trying to do his errands or whatever.

I agree that they are sheltered and steeped enough in the kool-aid to do whatever daddy tells them to without question.

Imagine how much fun it would be to be married to another alleged adult that obeyed Daddy before listening to his or her spouse... "Leave and cleave", my ass!

snipped

I've never once seen a single episode of the Kardashians, but have heard many horror stories. Mama Mia, you should do more of these episode summaries, I'm pretty sure that they are better than watching the show itself. :lol:

I've never once seen a single episode of the Kardashians, but have heard many horror stories. Mama Mia, you should do more of these episode summaries, I'm pretty sure that they are better than watching the show itself. :lol:

I used to watch KUWTK. I haven't watched it since, 2011. Kendall's Sweet 16 was the last episode that I watched. Kris and Bruce have always been narcissistic assholes.

• 3 weeks later...

Jim Bob is NOT a producer on the show. He is not part of production staff. If you IMDB the full production credits, he is not listed. He would have to be listed if he was a producer of any sort. The most he can do is bully his own family around - which he'd do regardless of the show.

I believe that he threw a hissy about a potential spin off - and probably whined to the two girls and husbands about how "unfair" the deal was - but I think it's far more likely that the spinoff got shelved because the Dillards didn't want to play along and it was an all-or-nothing deal.

I believe you refer to the arndt family.

Seriously, how does JB have that much control over potential spinoffs?

I wonder if he decided that he was their manager and therefore doing all of the negotiations...It's not like those girls are in any position to disagree or go behind his back. I suppose Jill COULD but she wouldn't and Jessa is still firmly living under his thumb so she can't even though she probably would...

Archived