IGNORED

Dimbulb the control freak killed the girls' spinoff.

Beammeup

yes the issue is called keeping my mom happy, one night she got so mad she kicked my dad and I out of the house and we ended up in a hotel for not doing what she wanted us to.

That's not "strict," that's unhealthy. You shouldn't be changing your life because someone else isn't "happy."

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's not "strict," that's unhealthy. You shouldn't be changing your life because someone else isn't "happy."

That is why I don't go home often,but it has taught me to be more empathetic and open minded to others .

I live half a state away, I was raised to be strong and to always respect and honor my elders. Same with my cousins. When we go home we understand we are staying for free under our parents roofs and need to listen to and respect their rules and what they say.

See, that is the difference we are talking about. The Duggars were not raised to be strong. Maybe they were raised to have "strong faith" and obedience to rules, but they were also raised to be dependent on their parents, even as adults.

Do you think that it is appropriate for women to stay at home after the age of 21, not being allowed to date or get jobs? Or leave the house without a chaperone?

General house rules (no loud parties) is one thing. But obeying my mom otherwise? If I want to go to the store in my car that I paid for with my own money and my own job, and I'm 26 years old, I'm damn well gonna go to the store whether she allows it or not.,

Of course, my mother wouldn't even try to stop me, unless she'd heard about a blizzard or something.

See, that is the difference we are talking about. The Duggars were not raised to be strong. Maybe they were raised to have "strong faith" and obedience to rules, but they were also raised to be dependent on their parents, even as adults.

Do you think that it is appropriate for women to stay at home after the age of 21, not being allowed to date or get jobs? Or leave the house without a chaperone?

Nope, after I left for college that was it for me

It amazes me how much of an attention whore he is. It's not about spreading the word, it's showing everyone how godly a family he jizzed out.

Yup. Anyone who blows through more cans of hairspray than Donald Trump ain't doing it for the spiritual boost.

(Hello and thank you for having me. I'm a former leghumper who remembered she was raised in the 70s idea of normal)

Nope, after I left for college that was it for me

Well, see that is what is happening to the Duggar girls. They are not allowed to have jobs, go to college, date or leave the house without a chaperone. That is why we are saying that maybe these girls should not listen to their elders anymore and break out on their own.

Why does anyone think a spin off with Jill and Jessa would be successful. Assuming they could get the two couples to appear without their “oh so forgiven†big brother and their holier than thou parents, the show would just be boring.

Watching Jessa and Ben travel to Europe on the “honeymoon special†:sleeping: was sleep inducing. Even the riveting renovations of the house was not enough to carry the hour. These two did nothing but wander through beautiful European cities giggling about how great married life was and how wonderful it was to kiss. :embarrassed:

I’m not surprised the Dim Bob nixed the spin off, I’m surprised that it was even considered.

:shifty-kitty:

Why does anyone think a spin off with Jill and Jessa would be successful. Assuming they could get the two couples to appear without their “oh so forgiven†big brother and their holier than thou parents, the show would just be boring.

Watching Jessa and Ben travel to Europe on the “honeymoon special†:sleeping: was sleep inducing. Even the riveting renovations of the house was not enough to carry the hour. These two did nothing but wander through beautiful European cities giggling about how great married life was and how wonderful it was to kiss. :embarrassed:

I’m not surprised the Dim Bob nixed the spin off, I’m surprised that it was even considered.

I'm not surprised it was considered. TLC saw the Duggar gravy train ending before the weddings happened. The weddings brought in ratings. They may have thought it would be worth it to test the waters with a spin off just to see if they could get the numbers they wanted for that show.

But, you're right. It would have been mind numbingly obnoxious. The girls have nothing going for them. Jill has one kid, Jessa will have one. Even if Jessa had two, that still wouldn't be show worthy. In fact, the newborn stage of twins is easily the most boring. All you're doing is feeding, cleaning, feeding, and cleaning (barring any medical emergencies, of course). Jill and Derick are on a mission, but we already know that Duggar mission trip episodes are painful at best. So, they wouldn't follow that path too long. The only way these girls could have a successful show is if they did something like "breaking Duggar" and the girls went to college or got jobs outside the home that weren't "womanly jobs" like midwife or cosmetologist. If the show followed the girls going to a real college (not a fundie one) where they were exposed to ideas and people they would have hidden form before, made to question their beliefs, etc., that would be something worth watching. But, if the show is really just watching them try to get through being a mother to between 1 and 5 kids? Yawn.

I read the article last night, and it gave me a dream that Joy turned 18 and left to become a waitress. I was so proud of her! She said Josiah was too into Marjorie to leave. Jinger also cut her hair and took off. Man, how frustrated was I when I woke up?

:cracking-up:

I'm not surprised it was considered. TLC saw the Duggar gravy train ending before the weddings happened. The weddings brought in ratings. They may have thought it would be worth it to test the waters with a spin off just to see if they could get the numbers they wanted for that show.

But, you're right. It would have been mind numbingly obnoxious. The girls have nothing going for them. Jill has one kid, Jessa will have one. Even if Jessa had two, that still wouldn't be show worthy. In fact, the newborn stage of twins is easily the most boring. All you're doing is feeding, cleaning, feeding, and cleaning (barring any medical emergencies, of course). Jill and Derick are on a mission, but we already know that Duggar mission trip episodes are painful at best. So, they wouldn't follow that path too long. The only way these girls could have a successful show is if they did something like "breaking Duggar" and the girls went to college or got jobs outside the home that weren't "womanly jobs" like midwife or cosmetologist. If the show followed the girls going to a real college (not a fundie one) where they were exposed to ideas and people they would have hidden form before, made to question their beliefs, etc., that would be something worth watching. But, if the show is really just watching them try to get through being a mother to between 1 and 5 kids? Yawn.

I think you guys are seriously underestimating how much totally pointless reality television there is on the market. Sure manyof the shows in this category are actual contests or about an actually unusual and noteworthy lifestyle. But there are also a ton of programs about ....nothing.

Here's a list of JUST the shows that had season / series premieres this spring ( a slow time of year even! ) . Sure, a lot of them won't last, but many of them will - look at the whole Real Housewives mega trash series that spawns new shows endlessly - hell, think if the Duggar's go that direction :shock: .

.realityblurred.com/realitytv/2015/03/spring-2015-reality-tv-schedule/

I don't know, I think in the context of the pre-scandal, past couple of seasons complete shift in focus to the two courting/ married couples -- I can see the rest of the family, including Jim Bob, having mixed feelings.

If it was me ( not that I would do a reality show in the first place ) , but my entire family was on a show and it was our main source of income , I could see being happy that two of the kids were suddenly getting a lot of attention , but also concerned about what that means for the rest of the family. For all we know some of the other kids wanted a lot of camera time - maybe Jer wanted to promote videos, or Jinger wanted segments about her photography. Even shy Jana might not actually be shy - maybe she's just wooden on camera. I have a bunch of kids in their twenties and a few years ago several had babies around the same time. It was hard on some of the others - obviously they are happy for their siblings and have their own lives and wouldn't really say anything - but it can seem like ALL the attention and interest in the family has shifted - and if you aren't getting married or having a baby you are out of the loop. And in the Duggar family look how pronounced that was - one year it's the whole family in the promo shots - the next year it's the Jill and Jessa and spouses out front and everyone else gets a background shot.

So, I think a little concern about all that shift and mixed feelings would be normal - if awkward. Especially if the other kids were upset about it. And in their world it's not just some minor hurt feelings over all the family talk being about sibling x's wedding - it's their actual livelihood.

Now if it's post scandal and the ship has sunk on the rest of the family -- then if he tried to sabatoge the girls chances of a show, that's just messed up.

And can you imagine trying to explain that to , say, Joy? " Um yeah, the world hates us because your brother molested you and your sisters , so now no more Starbucks or amusement parks or new clothes - and if you see someone from the media - run!"

Actually, the 4 older daughters have been the spotlight most of the time for a few seasons. They are beautiful, and beauty always sells. In hindsight the focus on the fab 4 also had an additional purpose, which is to find possible courtship offers from young men who JB could control.

I can not tell you how much I love this post. :cracking-up: :worship:

I am on the fence about Jessa and Jill having their own show - on one hand I miss laughing at them and yes I laughed at them a lot and even enjoyed the weddings and honeymoon's :D especially Jessa's - there was something perverse about seeing them making out in front of JB :D

how many times can you watch Jill dust her stairs and jessa speak to the camera about her cooking skills -

I could have seen maybe - the four of them travelling - but even the "Brady Brides" didn't last a season

so not surprised that JB kiboshed it and the girls I bet kiboshed it - even the girls needed the money - I can see them still obeying JB

I think you guys are seriously underestimating how much totally pointless reality television there is on the market. Sure manyof the shows in this category are actual contests or about an actually unusual and noteworthy lifestyle. But there are also a ton of programs about ....nothing.

Here's a list of JUST the shows that had season / series premieres this spring ( a slow time of year even! ) . Sure, a lot of them won't last, but many of them will - look at the whole Real Housewives mega trash series that spawns new shows endlessly - hell, think if the Duggar's go that direction :shock: .

.realityblurred.com/realitytv/2015/03/spring-2015-reality-tv-schedule/

no surprise here :cracking-up:

I love all the real housewives shows

I even met Ronnie from Real Housewives of Vancouver :D

The sisters' "spin-off" would be more boring than watching paint dry. They don't have hobbies, besides watching the calendar to figure out when they're fertile and Bible reading. They don't have outside interests. They don't play sports, read anything but (again) the Bible, go out to dinner anywhere that doesn't have a kiddie menu and crayons on the table. They don't do anything young people their age do. (Concerts, movies, get-togethers with friends for starters, date anyone that's not Daddy-approved, go to college or move out on their own in an apartment or house that's NOT owned by their parents.) There's nothing to show on TV besides going to the grocery store (maybe. And I'd love to know if they're getting groceries delivered due to most likely being approached by leghumpers or those who are tired of their family's televised BS) or going to their prenatal midwife visits.

Considering the fact that Jilly Muffin is currently in a "secret location", there's really nothing to film there, either.

Another thought on reality shows that show "nothing". I stopped watching RHOwherever a few years ago because I got sick of the constant fighting, but there's always something happening on those shows. Even The LIttle People shows the kids doing stuff like karate, ballet, at birthday parties, etcetera. It's cute and charming. The Duggars have restricted their kids from so many activties they can't fill half an hour with their daily lives.

The real reason the spin-off never got off the ground, besides Jim Boob: TLC could not find sponsors.

The sisters' "spin-off" would be more boring than watching paint dry. They don't have hobbies, besides watching the calendar to figure out when they're fertile and Bible reading. They don't have outside interests. They don't play sports, read anything but (again) the Bible, go out to dinner anywhere that doesn't have a kiddie menu and crayons on the table. They don't do anything young people their age do. (Concerts, movies, get-togethers with friends for starters, date anyone that's not Daddy-approved, go to college or move out on their own in an apartment or house that's NOT owned by their parents.) There's nothing to show on TV besides going to the grocery store (maybe. And I'd love to know if they're getting groceries delivered due to most likely being approached by leghumpers or those who are tired of their family's televised BS) or going to their prenatal midwife visits.

Considering the fact that Jilly Muffin is currently in a "secret location", there's really nothing to film there, either.

Another thought on reality shows that show "nothing". I stopped watching RHOwherever a few years ago because I got sick of the constant fighting, but there's always something happening on those shows. Even The LIttle People shows the kids doing stuff like karate, ballet, at birthday parties, etcetera. It's cute and charming. The Duggars have restricted their kids from so many activties they can't fill half an hour with their daily lives.

The real reason the spin-off never got off the ground, besides Jim Boob: TLC could not find sponsors.

there's not really much they can show going on without it being super obvious that they're in a cult. Cult kids do things, but they're usually pretty boring like watching old movies together or playing volleyball or practicing for Bible Bee or sewing for other families.

Then you have the friends/family/community totally over the Duggar fakery to the point where TLC couldn't even work up a crowd at their church thrift store to give out free food, and that turned into a PR nightmare.

Umm.... the bible is not the only book they read. The girls/women have attended concerts, movies, and they hang out with friends. They've done most of things in your comment :?

Half of the reality shows I watch sound boring, but most of these shows have writers. A Jill and Jessa spinoff could be made watchable :shrug:

I ate a 5 cheese plate with olives and fruit while reading this thread.

It was delicious.

I cannot see JB loving a spin off show. I have no problem believing he got in the way of that. I can see the girls wanting to stay in the spotlight but submitting to what Daddy dearest wants.

I think Amy's wedding or some condensed version thereof would have been shown had 19KAC continued. It is something besides going to the dentist or mini golfing and would have probably pulled in enough viewers.

And I doubt the J'slaves regularly attend the movies. I'm willing to bet big money the family-approved movie list includes Kirk Cameron, those movies made by that church in GA (Facing the Giants, Fireproof, etc)....what else, what else...God's Not Dead, Andy Griffeth (edited by JB versions)....a few select others.

I'm betting approved book list is about as long. Christian martyr type books, for sure, maybe Janette Oak romances but I doubt it. I wasn't allowed to even read those growing up.

And friends? Nobody different enough from the Duggars to make their appearance on an episode interesting to me unless they were going to do something daring and fun. Silver Dollar City doesn't count.

I guess plain and simple- I would watch a spin-off for the same reason I watched 19KAC: Snark.

I also had a scotch.

It's my day off.

ETA that jus because the family approved list says one thing does not mean the kids don't borrow non-approved movies and books from the local library. I did, but it takes being willing to go against Mom and Dad.

I ate a 5 cheese plate with olives and fruit while reading this thread.

It was delicious.

I cannot see JB loving a spin off show. I have no problem believing he got in the way of that. I can see the girls wanting to stay in the spotlight but submitting to what Daddy dearest wants.

I think Amy's wedding or some condensed version thereof would have been shown had 19KAC continued. It is something besides going to the dentist or mini golfing and would have probably pulled in enough viewers.

And I doubt the J'slaves regularly attend the movies. I'm willing to bet big money the family-approved movie list includes Kirk Cameron, those movies made by that church in GA (Facing the Giants, Fireproof, etc)....what else, what else...God's Not Dead, Andy Griffeth (edited by JB versions)....a few select others.

I'm betting approved book list is about as long. Christian martyr type books, for sure, maybe Janette Oak romances but I doubt it. I wasn't allowed to even read those growing up.

And friends? Nobody different enough from the Duggars to make their appearance on an episode interesting to me unless they were going to do something daring and fun. Silver Dollar City doesn't count.

I guess plain and simple- I would watch a spin-off for the same reason I watched 19KAC: Snark.

I also had a scotch.

It's my day off.

ETA that jus because the family approved list says one thing does not mean the kids don't borrow non-approved movies and books from the local library. I did, but it takes being willing to go against Mom and Dad.

:agree: it would be family approved movies and books.

Did Jessa attend a country music concert with the Seewalds?

:agree: it would be family approved movies and books.

Did Jessa attend a country music concert with the Seewalds?

I don't know. I hadn't heard that. If she did, I'd be really shocked! But interested...

Umm.... the bible is not the only book they read. The girls/women have attended concerts, movies, and they hang out with friends. They've done most of things in your comment :?

Half of the reality shows I watch sound boring, but most of these shows have writers. A Jill and Jessa spinoff could be made watchable :shrug:

What books are those? Please. We haven't seen a book that wasn't the Bible (or was not ghostwritten about the Duggars) featured on that program for years now. The older daughters' claims about reading the "husband hunting" book -- TLC's not featuring that thing on their show, either, because the blowback from their previous advertisers and sponsors would be rapid. The Duggars do not want their viewing audience to know exactly what they believe, either.

The only movies I am aware of that they saw were Kirk Cameron's, and there is no evidence that they actually walked into a movie theater to see those. TLC has never shown any footage at all of the Duggars attending a concert. The only friends they allegedly hang out with are relatives.

Besides being unwatchable, they won't be able to attract advertisers or sponsors. There is not a TV network on the face of the planet that would greenlight a show with those circumstances.

Someone mentions Michelle reading an abridged Little House on the Prairie aloud to all the kids once, and one time we see Joy Anna reading a Boxcar Children book!

TBH what would a daughter spinoff have to offer that skimming the facebook page of your old pal from high school that kinda failed to launch does not? These people don't really have anything to set them apart from any other bland white girl with 1.5 babies and an infinity scarf you might meet. And deliberating whether to put cream o' mushroom or cream o' celery in your casserole tonight does not exactly make for riveting television.

Rainytown,

1. In one of the earlier seasons, the girls made of a list of their favorite books(a TLC graphic compared their list to a high school reading list). Most of the books were Christian themed. I think they talked about the "Prince Charming"

2.You don't think viewers knew about their beliefs. Are viewers that stupid??? The modest clothes, the girls taking care of their siblings the hand sex, no kissing and touching before marriage, chaperones, 19 KIDS??????

3. I think they're allowed to see Christian movies. I remember Jessa attending a country music performance with her in laws a few months ago. Jill saw a Disney show, and the Duggars attend sporting events. They don't read the bible all day.

4. They have friends. If you look through social media, you'll see the Duggar kids hanging out with friends. Jessa had 4 friends in her wedding party, we've seen photos of Jill with friend. Zach Bates called JD one of his best friends.

5.Any show with Josh, Michelle and Jim Bob would have trouble getting advertisers or sponsors.

Rainytown,

1. In one of the earlier seasons, the girls made of a list of their favorite books(a TLC graphic compared their list to a high school reading list). Most of the books were Christian themed. I think they talked about the "Prince Charming"

2.You don't think viewers knew about their beliefs. Are viewers that stupid??? The modest clothes, the girls taking care of their siblings the hand sex, no kissing and touching before marriage, chaperones, 19 KIDS??????

3. I think they're allowed to see Christian movies. I remember Jessa attending a country music performance with her in laws a few months ago. Jill saw a Disney show, and the Duggars attend sporting events. They don't read the bible all day.

4. They have friends. If you look through social media, you'll see the Duggar kids hanging out with friends. Jessa had 4 friends in her wedding party, we've seen photos of Jill with friend. Zach Bates called JD one of his best friends.

5.Any show with Josh, Michelle and Jim Bob would have trouble getting advertisers or sponsors.

There is nothing entertaining about 2 families with no jobs, or skills living their lives...If there were, lots of people in America would be flooding the networks for TEEEVEEEE shows.

Nothing special about the Dillards or Seewalds that any advertiser would pay good money to support.

It's a business-

Archived