IGNORED

Dimbulb the control freak killed the girls' spinoff.

Beammeup

I like to think that I am NOT a narcissist and so if I was in JB's shoes I wouldn't go with his scorched earth policy. Even if I had completely fucked everything up so bad that I lost my job, my income, my future, the respect of moral and intelligent people everywhere---I would not want my children to suffer for it. If my kids were offered a livelihood that they wanted I would not stand in their way. I would want them to make lives for themselves and hope they send me a text once in a while and occasionally drop off the grandchildren.

You're forgetting that Jim Boob is such a narcissist (as is his child bride) that his ego must be fed first, and to hell with anyone who gets in his way, ESPECIALLY his children. If you watched 19KAC, we saw example after example of Jim Boob's refusal to lose any game or competition to one of his kids. This is a man so stupid he pulled a sword on a professional fighter in Japan, for instance. The guy was beating him and ol' JB couldn't stand it. Any child that is more successful than he is/has something he wants will suffer the same fate.

I can't imagine what it must be like to live with J-Chelle and Jim Boob. The religious BS and brainwashing is bad enough, but the only people either of them are truly going to love in this life is themselves.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good question. Hard to say, because I get the impression that Amy isn't too popular on the show, but the wedding specials have brought in huge numbers for TLC in the past, so I think it's possible that TLC would have given her a wedding special before Joshgate. Even if only half the people who saw Jessa and Jill's weddings watched, the numbers still would have been a million+.

Amy's such an oddity, though. She wants to be famous, but isn't really interested in working for it. The closest she came to getting any kind of exposure as a country singer was right before her manager quit after she stiffed him for the money she owed after he networked and helped her record music.

Here's an article for anyone wanting to read more:

radaronline.com/celebrity-news/amy-duggar-fires-producer-jamie-slocum-reality-star-gets-new-show/

If the scandal had never come to light and the show was still on - absolutely they would have shown some part of the wedding. I feel this way for a few reasons:

1. As others have said, the wedding episodes brought in a huge amount of viewers. Amy may not be as popular as her cousins, but people would still be interested in it. . . if only to see how the Duggars react to a wedding that isn't quite their standards.

2. It would allow Boob and Mullet to show what hypocrites "Godly" people they are by helping Amy on the actual day or with planning. It probably wouldn't have happened, but I could totally see Boob handing Amy money to help out with something on camera (when we all know TLC gave him the money behind the scenes.) And it would allow more screen time for the older girls, who a lot of viewers are secretly obsessed with fond of, help their cousin with wedding projects.

3. It would have provided an excellent opportunity to show how "accepting" Boob, Mullet, and their spawn blessings are of other people's differences. And how they're just a completely dysfunctional normal family like everyone else.

:ew:

If Jessa and her husband moved off of Jim Bob's property and lived like independent adults, they could go ahead with the show.

If Jessa and her husband moved off of Jim Bob's property and lived like independent adults, they could go ahead with the show.

They couldn't find any advertisers. IMHO, of course.

And it would be b-o-r-i-n-g.

Scratching my head as to what a show focused on those 2 bimbos would be about.

Like married with children peppered with a twist of some convoluted religious material?

Seriously, who would be the target audience?

And it would be b-o-r-i-n-g.

The Duggars are boring even WITH impending weddings. People still watched it because of the brand.

I'd love to see what they have to offer as opposed to the mainstream Evangelical (is that the right term?) Daniel Plan with the power duo of Rick Warren and Dr. Oz. It could be a competition as to how many references to Jesus and God can you make in one workout session without those being the only two words spoken.

From the ads I've seen, Blessa's already going to have them beat with modesty (of course). So many women in tank tops/sports bras, your workout would just be yelling Nike! the whole time.

I actually would be interested to see Crossfit-style workouts and workout gear geared towards women who dress modestly for religious (or otherwise) reasons. I know that it was a big to-do when a women's gym opened in Saudi Arabia, and there are plenty of Muslim female athletes who compete in hijab and long pants and sleeves (though a Malaysian Muslim gymnast recently caught some rather uncalled for flak when she wore a standard leotard, immodest by strict Muslim standards), so although we all know now how the Duggar brand of modesty is quite toxic, I'm sure that women who don't like to show too much skin for whatever reason would appreciate people acknowledging that they work out too.

There used to be (maybe there still is) a Jesus centered diet plan in the 80s and 90s. I thought that it was super abusive and soul crushing as failure meant you were not right with God. The people on the plan had to make themselves accountable to Jesus if they did not lose weight.

There still one but I think it might be be updated from the 80s to fit in with the new diet fads. I saw one blowing up my Facebook wall a couple of months ago.

The Duggars are boring even WITH impending weddings. People still watched it because of the brand.

This. The only reason people watched those weddings was because of the brand. Otherwise, the show was extremely boring.

I am not at all surprised that the adult kids obey JB. Fundie parents (or any super controlling parent for that matter) who have maintained tight control over their children are not going to easily let go just because the kid gets married and leaves the house, in spite of the "leave and cleave" talk.

I will always respect my Mom, its how I've been raised. No matter how old you are you respect your elders!

You're forgetting that Jim Boob is such a narcissist (as is his child bride) that his ego must be fed first, and to hell with anyone who gets in his way, ESPECIALLY his children. If you watched 19KAC, we saw example after example of Jim Boob's refusal to lose any game or competition to one of his kids. This is a man so stupid he pulled a sword on a professional fighter in Japan, for instance. The guy was beating him and ol' JB couldn't stand it. Any child that is more successful than he is/has something he wants will suffer the same fate.

I can't imagine what it must be like to live with J-Chelle and Jim Boob. The religious BS and brainwashing is bad enough, but the only people either of them are truly going to love in this life is themselves.

I will never forget JB stealing that sword, rather than surrendering. The audacity. It was a staged, play fight for the cameras, and the man so lacks respect for others that his solution to losing is openly, happily cheating.

It also amazes me that he considers himself so godly, yet so clearly believes that the rules don't apply to him. Nothing new for ol' Jim Boob, but wow. In a culture so devoted to honor and respect, to take that man's sword -- wow. JB takes disrespect to new levels -- disregarding the rules, disrespecting the man, disdaining the cultural norms. What a shit of a man.

All this to say that I can definitely believe that his engorged ego got in the way of his children's potential success. It seems completely in line with his character. His system is designed to keep the kids/kidults dependent while HE remains the patriarch. Too much freedom will have them questioning his fatherly "wisdom."

I will always respect my Mom, its how I've been raised. No matter how old you are you respect your elders!

Im not sure if this is sarcasm or not, but respect and obedience are not mutually exclusive terms. I also respect my parents and elders, but I do not obey them, as I am a grown, autonomous woman. If my parents have an opinion on something, I will surely take their advice into consideration for my decision, as theyre coming from a place of wisdom and experience, but ultimately whatever choice I make is my own to make, as it should be for the adult Duggar children.

But would you stay home in your mid 20s---not dating because you are not allowed--taking care of your mothers brood of babies--no college--no work outside the home--being chaperoned where ever you go?

Well yes, I agree that he IS a narcissist and is doing stupid things. I was contrasting what he would do if he wasn't a narcissist---we all would hope. Normally, people do not resent their children for having success. I have seen it a couple of times in my life---but its a really ugly person that does it.

My stepmother and father were a lot like JB and M. Not quite the same theology, but super strict and they isolated me from other people. Plus my stepmother was constantly talking about demons and evil spirits possessing people. She actually thought demons were in the house. Everything of the world was evil. Every TV show was satanic. I mostly had to stay in my room and read fundie life advice books.

At least the Duggars have siblings to hang out with :-P

Well yes, I agree that he IS a narcissist and is doing stupid things. I was contrasting what he would do if he wasn't a narcissist---we all would hope. Normally, people do not resent their children for having success. I have seen it a couple of times in my life---but its a really ugly person that does it.

My stepmother and father were a lot like JB and M. Not quite the same theology, but super strict and they isolated me from other people. Plus my stepmother was constantly talking about demons and evil spirits possessing people. She actually thought demons were in the house. Everything of the world was evil. Every TV show was satanic. I mostly had to stay in my room and read fundie life advice books.

wow, i'm sorry you had to go through that. i know the feeling. i had a nervous breakdown when i was in my early 20's (the kind where i just sort of shut down and stared into space) and in the middle of it my mom tried to cast the devil out of me. :|

The "everything is evil" fad has been going around fundie circles i'm in on FB the last couple months. Like they were suggesting people burn Christian figurines like Willow Tree. :lol: so sad.

Anyway, if any of them came over it would be fun to have a Sauron firepit to make s'mores. I'm just sadistic like that. :twisted:

post-10046-14452000583146_thumb.jpg

This. The only reason people watched those weddings was because of the brand. Otherwise, the show was extremely boring.

heck yeah. And tacky stuff to snark about like BarefootRunningGate.

Im not sure if this is sarcasm or not, but respect and obedience are not mutually exclusive terms. I also respect my parents and elders, but I do not obey them, as I am a grown, autonomous woman. If my parents have an opinion on something, I will surely take their advice into consideration for my decision, as theyre coming from a place of wisdom and experience, but ultimately whatever choice I make is my own to make, as it should be for the adult Duggar children.

It's not. My mom is very strict.

But would you stay home in your mid 20s---not dating because you are not allowed--taking care of your mothers brood of babies--no college--no work outside the home--being chaperoned where ever you go?

I live half a state away, I was raised to be strong and to always respect and honor my elders. Same with my cousins. When we go home we understand we are staying for free under our parents roofs and need to listen to and respect their rules and what they say.

I think in any conversations about a Jill/Jessa spinoff, TLC would have said that Jim Boob and Michelle (as well as Josh and his family) would be excluded, not shown, not mentioned. And Jill and Jessa and their husbands would have had their own contacts, with the checks actually made out to them. That's what Jim Boob couldn't stand, his daughters doing something independently, making their own money and him being excluded. I have no problem seeing him tell Jill/Jessa that they couldn't have their own show and them being unable/unwilling to make their own decision and go against Daddy.

It's really hard to break away from controlling parents. I had them (although not at Duggar levels of control), and from about age 12 I desperately wanted to break away, I went away to college (real, secular, properly accredited college) and it was still hard. Jill and Jessa would have an even harder time.

Here's something I always wondered. It's their philosophy that the men have to be self-employed. They can't have a regular job because they might have to supervise a woman, thereby usurping her father's/husband's authority (even if she didn't share that belief).Worse yet, he might have to take direction from a woman or even have a woman boss.

Yet Josh was allowed to take an actual job and move far away from Arkansas. I figured that it was because it was such a high-profile position that fed their fantasies of holding office and turning the country into a Christian theocracy that they were willing to allow it. I wonder if there was some off-the-record agreement that Josh would not work directly with women.

oh, i want to clarify that i would never do that Sauron firepit thing in real life in front of someone fundie who would be truly disturbed by it. It just cracks me up to imagine doing it, and also makes me sad that they're honestly fearful of a hunk of metal.

Fundies really have a weak God if they believe that inanimate objects can harm their health. They should be believing that God is more powerful than anything, but they can't even let their beliefs stand up to scientific scrutiny or trust their convictions to be stronger than their physical urges. It's fun to snark at but i really do feel sorry for fundies who give up their inner peace because of silly fears.

/tangent carry on :lol:

I don't know, I think in the context of the pre-scandal, past couple of seasons complete shift in focus to the two courting/ married couples -- I can see the rest of the family, including Jim Bob, having mixed feelings.

If it was me ( not that I would do a reality show in the first place ) , but my entire family was on a show and it was our main source of income , I could see being happy that two of the kids were suddenly getting a lot of attention , but also concerned about what that means for the rest of the family. For all we know some of the other kids wanted a lot of camera time - maybe Jer wanted to promote videos, or Jinger wanted segments about her photography. Even shy Jana might not actually be shy - maybe she's just wooden on camera. I have a bunch of kids in their twenties and a few years ago several had babies around the same time. It was hard on some of the others - obviously they are happy for their siblings and have their own lives and wouldn't really say anything - but it can seem like ALL the attention and interest in the family has shifted - and if you aren't getting married or having a baby you are out of the loop. And in the Duggar family look how pronounced that was - one year it's the whole family in the promo shots - the next year it's the Jill and Jessa and spouses out front and everyone else gets a background shot.

So, I think a little concern about all that shift and mixed feelings would be normal - if awkward. Especially if the other kids were upset about it. And in their world it's not just some minor hurt feelings over all the family talk being about sibling x's wedding - it's their actual livelihood.

Now if it's post scandal and the ship has sunk on the rest of the family -- then if he tried to sabatoge the girls chances of a show, that's just messed up.

And can you imagine trying to explain that to , say, Joy? " Um yeah, the world hates us because your brother molested you and your sisters , so now no more Starbucks or amusement parks or new clothes - and if you see someone from the media - run!"

It's not. My mom is very strict.

If you're a GROWN ADULT and you're worried about your parents being strict, you have some issues you need to sort out. Sure, there are house rules you should follow if you're at home out of respect for their home (just as anyone coming into your home should respect your house rules), but your parents shouldn't be punishing you and you shouldn't be allowing them to. I lived at home until I was 27 because of a lack of funds, and even then my parents (who had been strict with me growing up) understood that they could only hold me to general house rules, which were largely based on respect towards others. The rules I was expected to follow were: clean up after yourself, take your shoes off before entering the house, either go to school or have a full time job (when I stopped going to school, I paid rent to my parents to help cover my costs), be respectful of people trying to work or sleep, don't ride motorcycles and tell my mom (mostly because the idea of anyone on a motorcycle freaks her out and she would rather not know it's happening), and don't do anything illegal.

If you're a GROWN ADULT and you're worried about your parents being strict, you have some issues you need to sort out. Sure, there are house rules you should follow if you're at home out of respect for their home (just as anyone coming into your home should respect your house rules), but your parents shouldn't be punishing you and you shouldn't be allowing them to. I lived at home until I was 27 because of a lack of funds, and even then my parents (who had been strict with me growing up) understood that they could only hold me to general house rules, which were largely based on respect towards others. The rules I was expected to follow were: clean up after yourself, take your shoes off before entering the house, either go to school or have a full time job (when I stopped going to school, I paid rent to my parents to help cover my costs), be respectful of people trying to work or sleep, don't ride motorcycles and tell my mom (mostly because the idea of anyone on a motorcycle freaks her out and she would rather not know it's happening), and don't do anything illegal.

yes the issue is called keeping my mom happy, one night she got so mad she kicked my dad and I out of the house and we ended up in a hotel for not doing what she wanted us to.

Archived