IGNORED

Dimbulb the control freak killed the girls' spinoff.

Beammeup

Good question. Hard to say, because I get the impression that Amy isn't too popular on the show, but the wedding specials have brought in huge numbers for TLC in the past, so I think it's possible that TLC would have given her a wedding special before Joshgate. Even if only half the people who saw Jessa and Jill's weddings watched, the numbers still would have been a million+.

Amy's such an oddity, though. She wants to be famous, but isn't really interested in working for it. The closest she came to getting any kind of exposure as a country singer was right before her manager quit after she stiffed him for the money she owed after he networked and helped her record music.

Here's an article for anyone wanting to read more:

radaronline.com/celebrity-news/amy-duggar-fires-producer-jamie-slocum-reality-star-gets-new-show/

How does that make her odd or different from any of the other Duggars??? IMO, that's a strong, genetic trait in the Duggar Family.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What I found interesting in the brief People article was that they put JimBob in a negative light, by claiming he didn't like the new direction that a spin off show featuring his two married daughters would take. I feel sure that People writes what TLC tells/wants them to write.

I agree that JimBob is probably thinking that given some time, the Josh molestation scandal will die down and be mainly forgotten, and then he can get his jabbering mug back on tv, perhaps a Christian network. I think he's dreaming and will be sorely disappointed. The Bates are sitting smugly atop the (admittedly small) heap of photogenic, likeable, non-molestation scandal ridden fundie families.

I don't buy any of this. Jill and Derick had already put into motion their plans to leave the country and do mission work, which was the cliffhanger announcement that was going to be revealed.

I think maybe Jessa met with Jill when the Joshbomb dropped, but there is no way the Dillards planned to stay in Ark and Jessa's only sellable media event is the birth of her baby. Seriously, a show about those two bores + one accountant spouse and one unemployed manboy??

Obviously Boob and M'Chelle were in huge denial about how seriously the public would hate them for Josh's molestations as well as how they as parents handled it. Boob probably lawyered up, but any contracts he signed with TLC would have had very strong language about morality/ scandals. TLC threw him a bone with the sex abuse show, which he grabbed. But really, the Duggars will look like idiots again when they are in this show.

I hope the show blows Gothard sky high and their whole fucked up ATI cult, too.

Good riddance, and stick a fork in the Duggars and their tater tot casserole, too.

Honestly, I think that this "source" is unreliable. Until there's a name attached to it, people is no better than any other tabloid.

IF the spinoff was killed, it was killed by TLC. IF JB wants to be on TV as much as this suggests, he would make sure the girls get the spinoff. He can't be on TV without a spinoff. It's not like his show is being canceled for theirs.

Either way, it's better that they DON'T get a spinoff. The entire Duggar Brand needs to get the fuck out of the media while they still can.

How does that make her odd or different from any of the other Duggars??? IMO, that's a strong, genetic trait in the Duggar Family.

I probably could have worded that better, but what I meant was, she had an "in." She'd done it. After carrying on for so long about wanting to become a country singer, she succeeded in finding representation, and according to all reports, Amy's manager, Jamie Slocum, was starting to make big things happen for her. She had gotten some kind of new show that was supposed to bring in $20,000 an episode. And instead of doing the thing properly by paying Slocum so that he could continue to manage Amy's career and make her more famous, she decides it's more important to pull the plug instead.

The big question is, why? Did Jim Bob promise to front the money, and then, when Slocum was under the impression that he'd be paid for services rendered, did Jim Bob try to back out of the deal? Did he try to convince Slocum that it was a privilege to work for the Duggars and that his efforts should be a "love gift"?

But that was my point - the one thing Amy wanted was to be a famous singer, and when it looked like that was about to happen, she backed out of paying her manager, and then the Duggars as a whole treated the manager like he was in the wrong. Can't get more stupidly counter-productive than that.

Good question. Hard to say, because I get the impression that Amy isn't too popular on the show, but the wedding specials have brought in huge numbers for TLC in the past, so I think it's possible that TLC would have given her a wedding special before Joshgate. Even if only half the people who saw Jessa and Jill's weddings watched, the numbers still would have been a million+.

Amy's such an oddity, though. She wants to be famous, but isn't really interested in working for it. The closest she came to getting any kind of exposure as a country singer was right before her manager quit after she stiffed him for the money she owed after he networked and helped her record music.

Here's an article for anyone wanting to read more:

radaronline.com/celebrity-news/amy-duggar-fires-producer-jamie-slocum-reality-star-gets-new-show/

How is wanting to be famous without doing any work odd at all? Hell, I'd love to have wealth and privilege shoved at me for just existing. It'd definitely make my life easier if I didn't have to worry about finding a new job.

Totally called it!!! When people were speculating on a Jessa & Jill spin-off, I said there would be no way JB would allow it and people disagreed. People said that JB was more about the $$$ than saying "It's all of us or none of us." People also said Jessa & Jill are adults and JB couldn't tell them what to do, but look now... what are they doing? That's right, obeying Jim Bob.

EDIT: I went through the thread and read some more opinions. My opinion holds if the People article is true but it might not be. Maybe TLC never planned a spin off anyway. But JB has an unhealthy amount of control over his adult kids and I really would be surprised if Jessa & Jill would dare challenge him. It would be fun to see but I don't think they would.

I am not at all surprised that the adult kids obey JB. Fundie parents (or any super controlling parent for that matter) who have maintained tight control over their children are not going to easily let go just because the kid gets married and leaves the house, in spite of the "leave and cleave" talk.

Yes, although I have witnessed many instances when a fundie kid cracks, rebels and even gets tossed out of their house.

So far all Duggar kids toe the line and the odds are against them due to how many of them there are.

Maybe the show helped with cohesion, but Gothardism is like a prison. Not just physical, but emotional as well. I don't get why someone hasn't cracked yet.

Who is that family with their own web show? The incredibly bland, creepy one with infantilized Lego-playing adult sons who talk to each other via comments on the blog?

Yeah, that. JB is going to shop production companies to do that noise, guarantee it.

WTF?!? Is that a thing?

How is wanting to be famous without doing any work odd at all? Hell, I'd love to have wealth and privilege shoved at me for just existing. It'd definitely make my life easier if I didn't have to worry about finding a new job.

I see your point, but see my last post above. She got what she finally wanted and threw it away. That's what struck me as odd. Jim Bob is determined to stay in the spotlight to minister and garner attention for himself, and even he worked to try and hang on to that by putting himself out there, exploiting his family, etc..

I could care less if I ever became famous, but if I did get something I really wanted, be it love, fame, or fortune, I'd do my damndest to try and hang on to it. Why Amy didn't figure that out is beyond me.

Maybe it really is a universal Duggar trait to always expect something for nothing.

I don't think I am getting out of this article what everyone else is so hoping someone can help.

(1) I'm unsure where this article implies JB controls his daughters. I get that he does, but how does this article express it in the sense that's why they couldn't have a spin-off?

JB didn't want the show to change focus. I saw that as he didn't want out of the spotlight. He clearly likes being in the it. I could see him being unhappy that instead of a show about how he made all these quivers, it's now about 2 newlyweds, and not he and his manhood accomplishment? Plus he'd lose some income. I would think losses of spotlight + income would be the bigger issues for him. Not to mention embarrassing-- having the show taken away from him like that.

(2) B/c he controls his daughters so much they couldn't take the show.

Was there was an actual offer? The article said once Jill and Derick left town, there went half of the show so that put the nail in. The article to me implied that them leaving town killed the spin-off once and for all "and with that, one half of any potential show as gone." Not the other way around (no spin-off Derjill left) It could be that way, but that's not what I see in the article. It sounded like negotiations were DOA anyway, so Derick probably saw the writing on the wall.

What am I missing?

Well, it is an article they pulled out of their asses based on a rumour that someone over heard from someone that passed JB on the hwy while on the way home from church. So there is no logic.

BUT why just a spinoff that involves Jill? There are all kinds of TLC trainwreck shows they could do:

"Duggar Girls in the City": Joy, Jana, and Jinger get an apartment in Chicago. Silly antics ensue as the girls attempt to cook their own food, go shopping and dodge sin.

"Duggar Bachelorettes": Joy, Jana and Jinger vet a selection of America's most eligible Christian men. The best candidates win the opportunity to ask JB permission to court one of his daughters.

TTH Renos: John David and Josiah team up to gentrify Appalachia's cottage country and make themselves a lot of money, but they better hurry because the real estate bubble is set to burst again.

"Jessa and Ben: Working out for Jesus": Jessa and Ben take on red state obesity woes and teach people to slim down the right way. The Jesus way.

"Jana and Jinger: Designing Modest": Jinger has some sweet fashion ideas and Jana can sew anything. Together they create innovative frump and prepare to showcase their designs during NYC's fashion week.

People would watch that shit and they already have a fan base to build on.

Yet for some reason they have a powerful DADager that is picky about opportunities.

I am not at all surprised that the adult kids obey JB. Fundie parents (or any super controlling parent for that matter) who have maintained tight control over their children are not going to easily let go just because the kid gets married and leaves the house, in spite of the "leave and cleave" talk.

I think the leave and cleave thing was really just for Josh. In a weird sort of way I believe that JB was actually disgusted with what Josh did and drummed it into him because he couldn't wait to get him out of the house. I don't think he wants to control a molester, however his girls are still very dutiful and he wants to remain in control of them. He's got an ego problem big time.

I think the leave and cleave thing was really just for Josh. In a weird sort of way I believe that JB was actually disgusted with what Josh did and drummed it into him because he couldn't wait to get him out of the house. I don't think he wants to control a molester, however his girls are still very dutiful and he wants to remain in control of them. He's got an ego problem big time.

Despite what they say about his tender conscience and his changed heart, I'm sure they never trusted him around the girls again. And two more girls were born and another was on the way before he was married off. They were probably thrilled to get him out of the house and the show's story lines about the courtship, engagement and the wedding made it a quadruple blessing for them.

They used to be a pretty popular topic around FJ, but they're keeping a low profile these days.

viewforum.php?f=99

The Duggars have absolutely nothing on the Arndts when it comes to isolation, brainwashing, and blind obedience. Absolutely nothing. Mommy and Daddy Arndt could give lessons to the likes of Charles Manson and Jim Jones. "Brainwashing Sans Bloodletting - A Tutorial on Mind Control Without All the Mess."

Honestly, I think that this "source" is unreliable. Until there's a name attached to it, people is no better than any other tabloid.

IF the spinoff was killed, it was killed by TLC. IF JB wants to be on TV as much as this suggests, he would make sure the girls get the spinoff. He can't be on TV without a spinoff. It's not like his show is being canceled for theirs.

Either way, it's better that they DON'T get a spinoff. The entire Duggar Brand needs to get the fuck out of the media while they still can.

I disagree. People is not a tabloid like the other magazines. When they quote "sources" it is always someone reliable. When someone gets engaged, pregnant, divorced, etc and People reports it its almost always through a source that is directly connected to the person involved. It allows a celebrity's "people" to release a story without it making it seem like the celebrity themselves is breaking the news. They are known to receive stories directly from publicists and present them as hot gossip from a "source" to protect the stars.

Based on People's relationship with the Duggars and TLC, I have no doubt this came directly from someone reliable at TLC. This article, to me, seems like a plant by TLC to hush rumors about a spinoff and get back a little at JB. People rarely goes negative and this seems significant.

Well, it is an article they pulled out of their asses based on a rumour that someone over heard from someone that passed JB on the hwy while on the way home from church. So there is no logic.

BUT why just a spinoff that involves Jill? There are all kinds of TLC trainwreck shows they could do:

"Duggar Girls in the City": Joy, Jana, and Jinger get an apartment in Chicago. Silly antics ensue as the girls attempt to cook their own food, go shopping and dodge sin.

"Duggar Bachelorettes": Joy, Jana and Jinger vet a selection of America's most eligible Christian men. The best candidates win the opportunity to ask JB permission to court one of his daughters.

TTH Renos: John David and Josiah team up to gentrify Appalachia's cottage country and make themselves a lot of money, but they better hurry because the real estate bubble is set to burst again.

"Jessa and Ben: Working out for Jesus": Jessa and Ben take on red state obesity woes and teach people to slim down the right way. The Jesus way.

"Jana and Jinger: Designing Modest": Jinger has some sweet fashion ideas and Jana can sew anything. Together they create innovative frump and prepare to showcase their designs during NYC's fashion week.

People would watch that shit and they already have a fan base to build on.

Yet for some reason they have a powerful DADager that is picky about opportunities.

I think you mistake for a TLC develop exec. :lol:

I'd love to see what they have to offer as opposed to the mainstream Evangelical (is that the right term?) Daniel Plan with the power duo of Rick Warren and Dr. Oz. It could be a competition as to how many references to Jesus and God can you make in one workout session without those being the only two words spoken.

From the ads I've seen, Blessa's already going to have them beat with modesty (of course). So many women in tank tops/sports bras, your workout would just be yelling Nike! the whole time.

There used to be (maybe there still is) a Jesus centered diet plan in the 80s and 90s. I thought that it was super abusive and soul crushing as failure meant you were not right with God. The people on the plan had to make themselves accountable to Jesus if they did not lose weight.

I'm gonna defend ol' JB on this one.

Imagine building this brand up to becoming a popular show, and then not only getting publicly shamed and have it taken away from you, but then offered to 2 of your kids and their husbands? What did those 2 fuckers do other than marry into the Duggars at the height of their popularity? Yes the courtships helped with the ratings, but it wasn't because it was Derick and Bin themselves, you could've put any 2 guys in their place and gotten the same attention.

So those 2 bozos should just get a show with a built-in audience handed to them while JB skulks in the corner?

I don't see this as a reaction uniquely JB. I think many people would react this way.

UG. I just defended JB. Must take shower now.

JB didn't do shit but showed us how strong his sperm is. Nobody is watching for JimChelle everyone is watching for the girls. To see if they too will have 19 kids or wear pants.

Imagine building this brand up to becoming a popular show, and then not only getting publicly shamed and have it taken away from you, but then offered to 2 of your kids and their husbands? What did those 2 fuckers do other than marry into the Duggars at the height of their popularity? Yes the courtships helped with the ratings, but it wasn't because it was Derick and Bin themselves, you could've put any 2 guys in their place and gotten the same attention.

So those 2 bozos should just get a show with a built-in audience handed to them while JB skulks in the corner?

I don't see this as a reaction uniquely JB. I think many people would react this way.

I gave you a like because you admitted to self-loathing :lol:

I like to think that I am NOT a narcissist and so if I was in JB's shoes I wouldn't go with his scorched earth policy. Even if I had completely fucked everything up so bad that I lost my job, my income, my future, the respect of moral and intelligent people everywhere---I would not want my children to suffer for it. If my kids were offered a livelihood that they wanted I would not stand in their way. I would want them to make lives for themselves and hope they send me a text once in a while and occasionally drop off the grandchildren.

They used to be a pretty popular topic around FJ, but they're keeping a low profile these days.

viewforum.php?f=99

I'm a huge Arndt watcher... those people mystify me. They have the same "we pretend we're perfect" vibe as the Duggars, but without being blatantly political. I seriously think Papa Arndt isn't "all there" and that the Daisy-Duke wearing mom really runs the show. All while her adult sons act like 8 year olds, but still seem to all have paying jobs.... mystifying.

I'm a huge Arndt watcher... those people mystify me. They have the same "we pretend we're perfect" vibe as the Duggars, but without being blatantly political. I seriously think Papa Arndt isn't "all there" and that the Daisy-Duke wearing mom really runs the show. All while her adult sons act like 8 year olds, but still seem to all have paying jobs.... mystifying.

Agree with you on all points. Daddy Arndt always strikes me as being off on another planet and Mommy definitely wears the pants, er, shorts in the family. How they manage to control 14 kids to be content to stay at home, never really grow up and yet function enough to be in the working world escapes me. I grew up in a family that exhibited some of this so I have my ideas on what sort of voodoo these parents wrought on their kids, but to succeed with all 14? Even my parents only got 2 out of 3 and eventually those 2 got out albeit a bit messed up from the number my parents did on them. What are the odds with 14?

Oh well, back to Dim Bulb....

Actually, I think it's poetic justice.

JB got the show, attention and money because he and Michelle's decisions produced a lot of kids AND

JB got it all taken away because of he and Michelle's decisions surrounding one of the kids.

The kids are integral. No kids= no show. No kids= no loss of show

Archived