IGNORED

The Infamous Maxwell Pizza Incident

VodouDoll

I don't know if they were ATI, but they did use their materials. If you read further down to the next post, Teri specifically references one of their books for their modesty lessons.

Sounds to me like Steve found a way to involve the entire family in his fetish for women and their clothes by taking them all to gawk at the folks at the airport. Sly devil, that Steve.

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I swear, I'm not as stalkery as I seem. I'm just morbidly fascinated by this family and I remember stuff.

Yeah, add me to the list of folks who find this family oddly fascinating!

I felt the need to share with my fellow FJers that I am sharing a Coke with Sarah today! I saw it in the fridge at the convenience store and immediately thought of Poor Sarah[tm][/tm].

They must have left the church sometime around when Nathan and Melanie married, because that is where the two met.

I vaguely recall Steve talking about having trouble with elders at a church. Basically, the elders were concrned about how Steve was behaving and treating his family. Steve took this as a sign to home church.

If anyone can find that one, I would be grateful.☺

The more Maxhell posts I read the more I hate Steve. He is an arrogant self important POS. The pizza story just drives home to me what their fights were like before she decided to submit further. "Hey honey, where are you going? Dinner is almost on the table.". "Leave me alone you shrew, I don't need to tell you every thing I do with my life. I'm your headship and you need to trust me!"

He is allowed free reign to do what he wants, go where he wants and talk to whom ever he wants without as much as a look or question and his 30+ daughter needs to do a fashion show every time she gets a new beige oversized floor length skirt and can't go to the post office without at least one other family member and a box of pamphlets to distribute. I really hope one day we find out he has a secret double life.

I came to FJ for the Duggars but it was the Maxwells who became my favorite trainwreck. I have always been fascinated by North Korea and read everything I can find on that country; the Maxwells are their own little NK right in the middle of Kansas. They, too, have a Dear Leader who cannot be questioned, who is the absolute authority on everything and keeps a tight control on the brainwashed populace-- right down to the meager rations and the ban on TV, newspapers, and radio. I often get the chills reading about the regimes of both dictatorships.

Steve Maxwell is a warning to us all of what can happen when you allow a man to think himself the absolute ruler of his family by virtue of "Freedom of Religion." No child should be raised like Sarah Maxwell to think that the outside world is a place of terrifying pitfalls and that nothing is as important as getting to heaven. She is a wasted life. Teri and Steve failed utterly at being parents. Even if Steve were to die tomorrow I don't have any hope that Sarah would leave home, she would simply transfer her alleigence to the next Dear Leader.

I came to FJ for the Duggars but it was the Maxwells who became my favorite trainwreck. I have always been fascinated by North Korea and read everything I can find on that country; the Maxwells are their own little NK right in the middle of Kansas. They, too, have a Dear Leader who cannot be questioned, who is the absolute authority on everything and keeps a tight control on the brainwashed populace-- right down to the meager rations and the ban on TV, newspapers, and radio. I often get the chills reading about the regimes of both dictatorships.

Steve Maxwell is a warning to us all of what can happen when you allow a man to think himself the absolute ruler of his family by virtue of "Freedom of Religion." No child should be raised like Sarah Maxwell to think that the outside world is a place of terrifying pitfalls and that nothing is as important as getting to heaven. She is a wasted life. Teri and Steve failed utterly at being parents. Even if Steve were to die tomorrow I don't have any hope that Sarah would leave home, she would simply transfer her alleigence to the next Dear Leader.

The problem is that a lot of fundies of all kinds of religions think that "freedom of religion" means that they are free to enslave their family members and force them to obey the religious rules of the family patriarch.

Lots of fundies also try to impose their own personal religious rules on the whole population.

They must have left the church sometime around when Nathan and Melanie married, because that is where the two met.

I vaguely recall Steve talking about having trouble with elders at a church. Basically, the elders were concrned about how Steve was behaving and treating his family. Steve took this as a sign to home church.

If anyone can find that one, I would be grateful.☺

They left shortly after N&M were married. I think it was 2 fold. Sarah was noticing the other "girls" dressed not quite as modest as she. Also, Stevie had a fallout with some other men at a men's bible study. If I remember correctly, it was on the topic of loving their wives..... He got pissed off so they left and formed their own church in the nursing home. No female "eye traps" there or men to disagree with Stevie! :nenner:

He did a corner or blog post on it once...

And let's not forget the aftermath of Nathan and Melanie's wedding!

:angry-banghead: :angry-banghead:

This INFURIATES me. They had not just seen him leave for war. They had not just returned from his funeral. They had not sat for days at his hospital bed. Where is the perspective?? Shame on Steve for not leading his family better and reminding them what it REALLY means to be separated from a loved one. As a veteran, he has first hand knowledge of families being truly heart broken when a loved one is gone.

I'm not saying military families have the monopoly on sadness but this post just shows how ridiculously out of touch they are and how blatant their lack of empathy is for others who were going through something far worse than....a wedding?? :?

Personal note: A week before my son left for boot camp, my daughter's 16-year-old classmate died in a car wreck. Even though there were days it seemed my son dropped off the face of the earth, I always thought of that family whose son would NEVER come home again and I knew I was a very lucky mom. And then when my son was overseas, I still was the lucky one because I knew fellow Marine moms who were lying awake all night because their children were in the hot spots. It's all about perspective and I just can't muster any sympathy for a woman who cries because her son got married and moved across the street.

Headship fail, Steve. Seriously.

wow that is an over dramatic reaction to family moving across the street. I can understand tearful goodbyes if they moved to another state or country but it's across the street. they can probably see into their home from the front yard.

also, I think my entire wardrobe, flannel pjs included, is filled with eye traps.

I am also fascinated by the Maxwell family. In fact, it's how I found Freejinger. Hi Steve!

I know this is real but my mind still can't grasp the reality of it. WTF! Maybe she will hold her tongue and not remind him to take his blood pressure Medicine. What an idiot.

The Duggars were my gateway fundies too but now I find the Maxwells and Shraders more fascinating.

I know this is real but my mind still can't grasp the reality of it. WTF! Maybe she will hold her tongue and not remind him to take his blood pressure Medicine. What an idiot.

Yeah, what if something like that happens??

From the infamous Mary's braces article:

Imagine for a minute what it would be like in your home if instead of teaching your young children to listen to your direction and instruction, you encouraged them that they were their own person.

Initially, I was gobsmacked by this idea that it is wrong for a child to think of herself as her own person--an individual, with her own thoughts, plans, dreams, and preferences that might not be identical to her parents'. The Maxwell kids are essentially forbidden from having distinct and separate selves, unless it is in ways their parents (particularly Steve) approve of.

But after reading it again, what sticks out is that Steve and Teri Maxwell don't believe kids can be their own person and also be well-behaved, respectful of others, learn self-control, and willingly listen to and obey their parents. They are either unquestioningly obedient, or they are hooligans running amok. If parents allow their kids to be part of decision-making, they are acknowledging that their kids might have ideas and desires of their own--which encourages rebellion.

Typical of all the fundies we discuss here, there is either good or evil, with an excruciatingly narrow definition of "good" and a breathtakingly expansive definition of what is "evil"--and eternal torment awaits anyone who fails to walk that tightrope definition of good. So the orthodontist, in encouraging Mary to express her own opinion and desires about something so basic and personal as her own mouth--her own body--did so because he had the evil, worldly notion that Mary should be allowed to have her own thoughts on the matter in the first place.

That's so fucked up, I have no words.

Then there was the Halloween post, in which they claim that their kids were so terrified of other kids' scary costumes that they went home early and never went trick-or-treating again. And that just strikes me as bizarre, because I can't recall any kids I've known ever being that frightened on Halloween.

So I suspect that Halloween was another of those cold-lobster-on-paper-plates moments for Steve and Teri. They didn't really want to go out and participate in Halloween festivities, so they let it be an unpleasant experience their older kids had no desire to repeat. A good parent would prepare their little kids for Halloween, so they wouldn't be scared and would have a good time. If the kids still got scared, they'd reassure them. They'd want their kids to have happy memories of a fun evening. But not Steve and Teri. They weren't happy about going out, so they let it be a bad experience the kids wouldn't want to repeat--one they could use as evidence of how terrible, wicked, and fallen the "world" is. And they've probably repeated the story often enough that, combined with isolation from mainstream culture, the forbidding of any independent ideas on the matter, and endless Bible time ruminating on themes such as death, damnation, and the necessity of giving oneself wholly over to Jesus (in the form of Steve) in order to have salvation that even as adults the Halloween decorations hung in a nursing home are too horrifying for them to see.

And that is just so deeply, disturbingly insane, I can scarcely wrap my mind around it.

I'm late to the party on this, but I'm just wondering... If she was so worried about it, why didn't Teri just order the damn pizza herself?

I'm late to the party on this, but I'm just wondering... If she was so worried about it, why didn't Teri just order the damn pizza herself?

I had this thought myself. :lol: Also, because it's the Maxwell's we're talking about...do you think it was just one pizza? :lol:

I seldom comment on Free Jinger, although I read here a lot, because usually things I think of have already been said much better, already, by one of you. Today I come out of lurkdom to like almost half of the posts here and to say this thread is the BEST reading I have done in a long time.

I am familiar with Maxhell, because of reading FJ, and I love that I can follow their train-wreck and not have to learn to navigate tits2. I only click over there occasionally, because hive vagina does such a good job of quoting tit2 and posting tits2 photos.

My parents were Holdeman Mennonites until I was 5 - some original fundies, with some of Stevehovah's rules - no TV, modest dress, wives must submit. . . . Then 'God showed (my dad) the light' and they became Pentecostals, which were just like Holdemans with better clothes, and televisions. I always heard 'God showed me the light' from my dad - not us - God only had to speak to the headship. I lived in a family with the dysfunction of a strong woman and a weak man, trying to live the headship/wifely submission role, and our family looks positively normal, compared to Maxhell or Lorken.

I am loving this Maxhell Greatest Hits. My personal MGH: they went up to Slave Lake, Alberta and parked Uriah somewhere and a wheel sunk right into the roadside or parking lot and there was a most exciting story of God's Hand In Extracting Uriah. Of course I relate to this story because it was spring time, and I come from near there, and we have load limits on the roads in spring because the underlying ground may be turning to mush. That would be my tax money fixing that hole the Uriah made in roadside, and I am loath to support Maxhell.

I also have home-schooling Pentecostal cousins near there, and I am certain they would have attended, although I did not see them in the photos. One my cousins adult kids, from there, who finally acquired a headship after years of nannying, YWAM and bible school (not nearly as secluded as Maxhell, but still obviously waiting for marriage), posted on FaceBook, shortly thereafter 'I am so grateful to God that I don't have a mortgage . . . ' and referenced the sub-prime mortgage crisis, as though it applies in Canada the same as the US.

I learn so much about the lingering effects of my fundy upbringing from reading here. Thanks FJ, for that, and for doing such a good job of touring Maxhell highlights and features, so I don't have to defraud myself with tits2. If any of you tits2 (not) fans would like to dig up the God's Hand In Extracting Uriah (my title) post, I would actually expose myself to tits and go read it.

Is this what you were thinking of jjmennonite? Lo, a tale told in three parts:

blog.titus2.com/2011/04/07/gods-hand-1/

blog.titus2.com/2011/04/09/gods-hand-2/

blog.titus2.com/2011/04/10/gods-hand-3/

I've always wondered if part of the control is monetary. She may have a debit card, but only have it loaded, by Steve, with a certain amount before each shopping trip.

I'm just waiting for the day this plan causes Steve real embarrassment, or personal harm.

What if he'd never realized he was going the wrong way, and hours later found himself in a whole other town turned around? Extreme examples here, but what happens when he forgets to take an important prescription, and his health suffers, because Teri didn't remind him since it's disrespectful? I can't imagine he'd rather that happen than just be reminded to take the damn pill. Or what if he gets dementia, and she has to stop him from leaving the house? Or? Or? Or?

Sorry for using logic here, but I'd rather reverence a little less to make sure my SO flourishes and oh, I don't know, lives.

I seldom comment on Free Jinger, although I read here a lot, because usually things I think of have already been said much better, already, by one of you. Today I come out of lurkdom to like almost half of the posts here and to say this thread is the BEST reading I have done in a long time.

I am familiar with Maxhell, because of reading FJ, and I love that I can follow their train-wreck and not have to learn to navigate tits2. I only click over there occasionally, because hive vagina does such a good job of quoting tit2 and posting tits2 photos.

My parents were Holdeman Mennonites until I was 5 - some original fundies, with some of Stevehovah's rules - no TV, modest dress, wives must submit. . . . Then 'God showed (my dad) the light' and they became Pentecostals, which were just like Holdemans with better clothes, and televisions. I always heard 'God showed me the light' from my dad - not us - God only had to speak to the headship. I lived in a family with the dysfunction of a strong woman and a weak man, trying to live the headship/wifely submission role, and our family looks positively normal, compared to Maxhell or Lorken.

I am loving this Maxhell Greatest Hits. My personal MGH: they went up to Slave Lake, Alberta and parked Uriah somewhere and a wheel sunk right into the roadside or parking lot and there was a most exciting story of God's Hand In Extracting Uriah. Of course I relate to this story because it was spring time, and I come from near there, and we have load limits on the roads in spring because the underlying ground may be turning to mush. That would be my tax money fixing that hole the Uriah made in roadside, and I am loath to support Maxhell.

I also have home-schooling Pentecostal cousins near there, and I am certain they would have attended, although I did not see them in the photos. One my cousins adult kids, from there, who finally acquired a headship after years of nannying, YWAM and bible school (not nearly as secluded as Maxhell, but still obviously waiting for marriage), posted on FaceBook, shortly thereafter 'I am so grateful to God that I don't have a mortgage . . . ' and referenced the sub-prime mortgage crisis, as though it applies in Canada the same as the US.

I learn so much about the lingering effects of my fundy upbringing from reading here. Thanks FJ, for that, and for doing such a good job of touring Maxhell highlights and features, so I don't have to defraud myself with tits2. If any of you tits2 (not) fans would like to dig up the God's Hand In Extracting Uriah (my title) post, I would actually expose myself to tits and go read it.

Did it ever occur to the Maxwell's that Uriah got stuck on purpose, in the hopes that he would get abandoned by them?

I'm wondering what the Maxwells daily schedule looks like now that all the kids have finished the SOTDRT and their business seems to slow down.

They don't have any friends or hobbies and there are only so many ceiling fans in the house to dust.

Go back to the very first page of this thread and read Teri's account of the incident. It explains everything.

I'm wondering what the Maxwells daily schedule looks like now that all the kids have finished the SOTDRT and their business seems to slow down.

They don't have any friends or hobbies and there are only so many ceiling fans in the house to dust.

I would imagine that the girls spend a lot of time helping their sisters-in-law, especially now that there are multiple children.

I would imagine that the girls spend a lot of time helping their sisters-in-law, especially now that there are multiple children.

But, that would mean that the girls are away from the almighty Stevehova and could encounter ebil worldy influences like fundie-lite/non-fundie relatives of the in-laws. :pink-shock: :pink-shock:

Never mind, Stevehova probably tags along to make sure that his precious possessions girls don't get ideas. :penguin-no:

Archived