Maybe this new baby will prompt Erika to write new blog posts and not just repeats.

Well of course it does! She has to make a whole new family schedule! *Beam*

• Replies 907
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually, I think Erika attended Western Washington University, not sure how liberal or not that is. It's in Bellingham near the San Juan Islands where she grew up-)

I went to graduate school at WWU and have taught there. It is a liberal, environmentally oriented public university in one the the bluest cities in blue western Washington. Nevertheless, it's also the alma mater of whatshisname who runs the Homeschooler Legal Defense outfit, and Glen Beck graduated from high school just down the street, so go figure. The Shupes also go to church in Bellingham.

The Skagit Valley also has its liberal pockets, but there is a wide spectrum around here. Cabinetman's wife is from from Sedro-Woolley, and the Williams Christian homeschooling family who tortured their adopted daughter to death are from Mount Vernon.

I am a mean person but Erica Shupe needs no more children in that Hamster Cage of Horrors. She just does not need or deserve any more. She is a rotten apple and is crushing the souls of the ones she already has. I don't wish her harm but I do not wish her well (h/t to Beb and latraviata).

If you are mean, then I am the Beast. I'm pretty sure I'll find the mark on my scalp soon because I'm hoping she'll have a misstep on the stairs due to her elevated nose. I half-assed read her announcement and of course she's not worried about possible trisomy abnormalities. That's Karen and Melanie's problem. :angry-banghead:

So I get it, the ACA is evil and should be avoided.

:roll: :roll:

I believe the law could be better written and in their haste to pass a plan, Congress made a few mistakes (medical device tax, mandatory maternity coverage even on post-hysterectomy women, etc.) But why would the fundie alternative plan take out what is arguably the two best benefits of the bill: free preventative care and no exclusions on pre-existing conditions.

I'm not American and haven't followed the ACA very closely, but I'm confused by this statement. It reads to me like insurance companies must cover maternity care for all women, whether or not they need it, which, er, doesn't make sense at all (If they don't need it, the insurance companies don't pay for it). I'm missing something stupidly obvious, amn't I?

I'm not American and haven't followed the ACA very closely, but I'm confused by this statement. It reads to me like insurance companies must cover maternity care for all women, whether or not they need it, which, er, doesn't make sense at all (If they don't need it, the insurance companies don't pay for it). I'm missing something stupidly obvious, amn't I?

The ACA was written in a way that provides a minimum standard of care in all insurance plans. This includes maternity coverage in all plans - pre-ACA, maternity coverage was not a given and if you could not add it once you were already pregnant (pre-existing condition.) However, in including care in all plans, it therefore includes maternity care in plans that cover post-hysterectomy women and post-vasectomy/sterile men.

As I said above, the law was written very quickly and is not perfect...but it is far better than the state of healthcare prior.

The ACA was written in a way that provides a minimum standard of care in all insurance plans. This includes maternity coverage in all plans - pre-ACA, maternity coverage was not a given and if you could not add it once you were already pregnant (pre-existing condition.) However, in including care in all plans, it therefore includes maternity care in plans that cover post-hysterectomy women and post-vasectomy/sterile men.

As I said above, the law was written very quickly and is not perfect...but it is far better than the state of healthcare prior.

Ah, okay. That makes more sense. So effectively everyone's paying for maternity coverage for themselves whether or not they need it? Sorry if I sound like a Stupid ForeignerTM; here in Scotland healthcare is covered under the NHS, so it's paid for by taxes, same as things like schools. In that way I guess post-hysterectomy women are still paying for maternity coverage, but in the same way that childfree women pay for education.

Erika has weighed in on the revelation that Josh Duggar is a sexual predator:

Well we didn't even know what you were talking about but we looked it up and read a number of places. Sounds like it was handled just right 14 years ago. His parents went to the church elders about it, implemented discipline at home, and Josh's wife and her family knew about that situation in Josh's past before they got married. Of course it was a very poor choice. But it's over, and *long* past. He was 14. Mistake? Absolutely. But worth digging up now and making public? Shame on people. The Duggars are human just like everyone else. It's shameful when others publicize sin when they probably did much worse in their own past. People should have minded their own business.

In summary:

Molesting 5 people= a poor choice

Molesting 5 people= a mistake

But the real shame??? The people who brought it to light! Apparently most people have done "much worse" than molesting 4 of their own siblings and a non family member.

:wtf:

Erika has weighed in on the revelation that Josh Duggar is a sexual predator:

In summary:

Molesting 5 people= a poor choice

Molesting 5 people

But the real shame??? The people who brought it to light! Apparently most people have done "much worse" than molesting 4 of their own siblings and a non family member.

:wtf:

Probably did much worse in their own past?????

The average sins/crimes of the average person in their childhood/teen years: calling little sibling an asshole, stealing a candy bar and then feeling guilty when they are caught and taken back in to apologize, underage drinking/smoking, consensual teenage sex.

Josh Duggar's sins: MOLESTING FIVE CHILDREN, INCLUDING A PRESCHOOL AGED CHILD.

Theres a big fucking difference.

What the fuck did you do when you were 14 Erika? Did you ever sexually assault anyone? Did you ever set any kittens on fire, or kill anyone? Were you a serial killer? Probably not, just like everyone else.

What did I do when I was 14? I hit my sister because she stole my diary and read it out loud to her friends. I told a kid in my class to fuck off because he was being an asshole. I daydreamed too much in class and spent too much time doodling on my books. I faked a note from my parents to get out of PE class. I kissed a boy I was not married to and then discovered that I wasn't into boys.

Everyone does that. It takes a special kind of disturbed kid to molest their younger siblings.

Probably did much worse in their own past?????

The average sins/crimes of the average person in their childhood/teen years: calling little sibling an asshole, stealing a candy bar and then feeling guilty when they are caught and taken back in to apologize, underage drinking/smoking, consensual teenage sex.

Josh Duggar's sins: MOLESTING FIVE CHILDREN, INCLUDING A PRESCHOOL AGED CHILD.

Theres a big fucking difference.

What the fuck did you do when you were 14 Erika? Did you ever sexually assault anyone? Did you ever set any kittens on fire, or kill anyone? Were you a serial killer? Probably not, just like everyone else.

What did I do when I was 14? I hit my sister because she stole my diary and read it out loud to her friends. I told a kid in my class to fuck off because he was being an asshole. I daydreamed too much in class and spent too much time doodling on my books. I faked a note from my parents to get out of PE class. I kissed a boy I was not married to and then discovered that I wasn't into boys.

Everyone does that. It takes a special kind of disturbed kid to molest their younger siblings.

I saw this too. Erika and all the others defending him are a special kind of stupid. "Handled just right"? Others have done worse? Err, no. Clearly she has not seen the police report, which states that four of the victims lived with JimBoob and J'Chelle. I bet Erika would pitch a fit if she discovered Brandon had been molesting Anna Marie and the twins. Josh publicly admitted that his actions were inexcusable.

Done much worse? What is it fundies imagine non-fundies do exactly? :wtf:

Exactly! What is much worse than sexual abuse? Murder, I suppose. But then, with murder, the victim can't dwell on what happened for the rest of their lives, because they're dead. Their families and friends will grieve, but the main victim is dead and gone. With sexual abuse, the victim has to live with it forever. There's a quote I saw on a Facebook like page a couple of days ago, saying "Never do harm to a girl. She may pardon you, but she will never forget". Which is exactly what has happened with the victims. They may have "forgiven" Josh, but an act of forgiving isn't some memory-wipe, they'll still think about it all the time. They're called "private parts" for a reason. If our privacy is violated, we're upset. It's why people get suicidal. They feel their life is so awful, so tainted by what has happened, that they're willing to cut their lives short to "end it all" and not have to live with the pain.

These fundies appear to believe that there's one rule for them and one rule for us. I'm atheist, but that doesn't mean I murder people or steal from people or will cheat on my spouse. I lie sometimes, but everyone does. Terry Jones of Monty Python said once that some of the ideas in the Bible are good, like "love thy neighbour" and all that, but what is wrong is the way people have been torturing and killing each other for millenia over the way Christ said these things. They claim to take the Bible as literally true, but even different fundie families do things differently. For example, the Bateses and Duggars don't allow their children to wear tank tops; Erika's children do fairly frequently (even though she said once that they only rarely do it in public). Some fundies give their children purely Biblical names; Jinger isn't a Biblical name, nor are several of the Shupe kids' names.

Also, about the done worse thing: when I was 14, the worst thing I did was not hand in my homework, or sometimes not even do it at all. I don't remember everything, but I definitely didn't molest anyone. Because that is wrong and disgusting, regardless of whether you're religious or not.

And what is it that fundies deny themselves due to god looking over their shoulders?

Where did she post about the Duggar situation? Facebook?

Where did she post about the Duggar situation? Facebook?

Yes. Someone posted on the LFoP Facebook page, and she responded in a comment.

Yes. Someone posted on the LFoP Facebook page, and she responded in a comment.

Wonder if that person now regrets asking? As a survivor of sexual assault, she disagrees with Erika's assessment. And was nicer about it than I could ever hope to be. I can't even think of a word nasty enough for what Erika is.

Wonder if that person now regrets asking? As a survivor of sexual assault, she disagrees with Erika's assessment. And was nicer about it than I could ever hope to be. I can't even think of a word nasty enough for what Erika is.

Control-Freak-Bitch perhaps? *smile*

Most disgusting "mother" of the year, perhaps?

You can bet if it was a non-fundie kid, Erika would be condemning it like there's no tomorrow. She'd be blaming the decline of America's morals on parents not bringing their children up right (schedule them in fifteen minute increments so they don't have the time to harm their siblings, I guess) and railing about the rates of church attendance here.

It certainly wouldn't be a "mistake."

The 15 minute increments is making me think of the Maxwell's. Did Erica learn from the Maxwell family cleaners?

When I was 14, I made lots of mistakes. I smoked, I drank, I experimented with drugs. I dressed immodestly, watched inappropriate movies and tv shows, and used inappropriate language. I lied to my parents. I snuck out. I had sex. I even got pregnant. But I never, ever for one minute even thought about molesting my siblings. If fourteen year old Josh had been caught consensually "playing doctor" with twelve year old Jana, or maybe even ten year old Jill, that would be a mistake. Wrong, but not predatory. What Josh did was predatory. Do I feel bad for Josh? His environment helped turn him into the person he was. But ultimately, he made his choices. He victimized his sisters while they slept. That's where my pity ends.

She's such a moron. She just wrote an entire post on how to have a yard sale. :cray-cray: Does she think she invented yard sales????

Sorry to come back to this, but I'm pregnant and hormonal and just FURIOUS that the Shupes, who don't seem to enjoy the kids they have, are having another baby to torment into compliance. My parenting style verges towards attachment parenting for the first 18 months or so (cosleeping, baby wearing, nursing on demand, baby led weaning) and while I absolutely acknowledge that other methods work well for other families I can't wrap my head or my heart around leaving a fucking NEWBORN to cry it out, all in aid of fitting into the holy family schedule as soon as possible.

I wholeheartedly agree.

Individualistic American culture begets detached parenting. I'd love to see more well-adjusted people in society, but you know, gotta show tough love to infants and children through the CIO method and hitting them. [emoji35]

I'm always very happy to hear of parents practicing attached parenting despite the status quo. Thank you for contributing positively toward the next generation, because you're doing it right.

She's such a moron. She just wrote an entire post on how to have a yard sale. :cray-cray: Does she think she invented yard sales????

Exactly. I read the post, nothing mind-blowingly revolutionary in there. It's just another opportunity to show off how anal-retentive she is about organisation. She did suggest you could also do a bake sale, which is a nice idea, but apart from that... "you can price things by group rather than individually." "Sort things by size". Does she seriously think all her followers are stupid? It's typical fundie talk-down speak.

While I have heard of these fundies before on this board, this was my first time down the Shupe rabbit hole *shudder*. On the surface, a lot of her reward systems and schedules look cute *smile*, but when you look at how strict and regimented they are they become far more sinister *vomit*. One of her older schedules has a time blocked out for diaper changes in the afternoon. While she doesn't say it explicitly, knowing her desire to schedule everything, this must mean that she lets her babies sit with dirty diapers until the designated time *cringe*.

The 15 minute increments is making me think of the Maxwell's. Did Erica learn from the Maxwell family cleaners?

There are so many Maxwellian things in this blog. I found one post that I thought was especially bad, about how sports and individual hobbies are evil, and thought by the title that it sounded particularly Maxwellian. Lo and behold, reading the post, they learned this from the Maxwells.

largefamiliesonpurpose.com/2012/08/organized-sports-and-individual-hobbies.html#more

She talks about sports like they are a drug that can destroy a child's life. I wonder if f*n is banned in the Shupe house too.

I think she follows the stuff that the Maxwell's schedule thing. I seem to remember reading it on her blog.

Archived