Erika did say this in the comments after one of her posts

Well I do have a college degree, and we are striving to prepare our children to enter into continued education easily and with flying colors should they choose to. So I believe they would be very well prepared and intelligent, articulate, able to reason and debate points, etc. from the education we are pursuing for them and which those other families and mentors we desire to emulate also do

largefamiliesonpurpose.com/2013/05/government-school-at-home-programsco.html#comment-form

The last sentence, which I bolded is interesting...SOTDRT in all it's glory.

• Replies 907
  • Created
  • Last Reply

largefamiliesonpurpose.com/2013/05/government-school-at-home-programsco.html#comment-form

Bull. Shit. Fundies do NOT learn any kind of critical thinking skills whatsoever. They are not exposed to differing viewpoints ever, how the fuck are they expected to cope with them in the real world?? It's interesting that the majority of fundies we hear about are self-employed and set up their own companies, so that they don't have to deal with people who hold differing beliefs. And Erika will NOT let them go into continuing education! Hahahahaha! She's mentioned before about some kind of homeschool college thing like CollegeMinus. HOMESCHOOL. So even then they will never have to deal with the outside world and will only ever get Christian fundamentalist viewpoints presented to them.

Stirophome. Stirophome. STIROPHOME?

JFC, send your children to school, you ignorant twat :angry-banghead:

*beam*

I wouldn't think twice about it being called styrofoam without being capitalized or with the circle-R after it's an accepted description now, like velcro or escalator are just words. Nobody really says "hook and loop tape" or "moving staircase."

But stirophome? I think she's proud of not knowing how to spell, and ignoring the lines under misspelled words.

I've always been good at spelling, I think in part because my teachers grades 1-8 wrote the correct spelling of a misspelled word on our work. I remember thinking the teachers who just wrote

sp?

over a wrong word were really lazy!! (That's when I was 13, don't excoriate me for a youthful prejudice.). It seriously made me appreciate my teachers even more.

My teachers who did the Sp? thing wanted us to learn to look up the correct spellings instead of learning to rely on somebody else to tell us, because there won't always be another person to proofread for us.

Anyhoo....don't the Shupes use software that offers autocorrect or at least places little red squiggly lines beneath words it doesn't recognize? My Word program is ancient and it squiggles and then offers possible spellings as well as synonyms and more!

This is why I think she's proud of her poor spelling. All my browsers have the red squiggles built in. She has to be willful in her misspelling at this point.

Are Erika and Bob really going to pay for those two to go to some institute of higher learning and get these degrees though? Or let them go out and get jobs like other teenagers so they can pay for it themselves? Erika has mentioned before about how Karen doesn't need to get a job, because she isn't a male and that her babysitting brings her all the money she needs. We know how they feel about debt. Somehow, I think Karen's and Melanie's aspirations will not amount to much, and it will be because Erika and Bob won't support them.

I have a friend going to Aveda somewhere in Washington, and she's sunk for $35k in debt. No way the Shupes are going to cover that, or let their daughter get into debt and be unmarriagable.

Is this form of free babysitting for 7 kids for 13 hours legal? Or are minors not protected in this way? I don't have younger siblings so I never experienced being made to babysit. :think:

Child-labor laws don't generally apply to families and family-run business. They could have their kids babysitting for less than Skittles for 24 hours at a time, and it's legal.

I don't think kids should necessarily ALWAYS get paid at least minimum wage for helping out with their siblings, but there really is a line.

We know what she considers to be adequate education. Continued education is probably foreign-foods cookbooks for the girls, and long division for the boys.

Archived