Her family might be the only one in existence that is considered good enough for the Maxwells (or will Erika being such a control freak put them off, because Steve wants to be the only control freak).

I think the next Maxwell courtship will not be Anna, or Mary, and definitely not Sarah. It will be Abigail, to one of Erika's sons.

• Replies 907
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I particularly liked (sarcasm) this part of the yard sale post:

I don't think I charged the girls money for their cookie ingredients this time.

What an odd statement. How would you not know if you charged your daughters for cookie ingredients?

I hope if she does try to charge them (and she will now that she's thought of it), that they offer her the choice of 1 jelly bean or a pencil eraser as payment. If she can get hours of babysitting for over half a dozen kids for the low low price of 1 Jelly Belly (recipient DOES NOT get to select the flavor), then surely it will cover a few cookie ingredients as well.

Her family might be the only one in existence that is considered good enough for the Maxwells (or will Erika being such a control freak put them off, because Steve wants to be the only control freak).

I think the next Maxwell courtship will not be Anna, or Mary, and definitely not Sarah. It will be Abigail, to one of Erika's sons.

I don't know. Sometimes I think this too. But Erika's girls have worn tank tops in public before, something the Maxwell girls would never do, plus they wear skirts shorter than ankle length. Steve's progeny don't go too far from the house. Erika lives less than an hour away from her mom, further away than Steve would ever allow, but still very close compared to what others may do.

I don't know. Sometimes I think this too. But Erika's girls have worn tank tops in public before, something the Maxwell girls would never do, plus they wear skirts shorter than ankle length. Steve's progeny don't go too far from the house. Erika lives less than an hour away from her mom, further away than Steve would ever allow, but still very close compared to what others may do.

And the children have movie nights! Although i can totally see Erika setting up Karen with Jesse Maxwell... :?

And the children have movie nights! Although i can totally see Erika setting up Karen with Jesse Maxwell... :?

Oh God, no. The way Erika talks about Karen makes her sound like a selfish brat- you know, a typical teenager. I have hope that Erika will end up accidentally driving her daughter straight into Bob's parents home, where she can finally be a normal young woman.

When I see a picture of just Erika's kids on her blog, it looks to me like Karen is the young mom of those little kids. I don't know what it is, I know she's only a teenager. It's like that picture of her holding her dad's hand at a cookout. She just reads as older to me like the blog is hers and she's the mom. I guess I'm just not used to seeing pics of families that span in age from unborn to 16.

When I see a picture of just Erika's kids on her blog, it looks to me like Karen is the young mom of those little kids. I don't know what it is, I know she's only a teenager. It's like that picture of her holding her dad's hand at a cookout. She just reads as older to me like the blog is hers and she's the mom. I guess I'm just not used to seeing pics of families that span in age from unborn to 16.

Karen has one of those faces that can appear more mature than it is. I really wonder who things are going to pan out now that Karen is coming up upon her courtin' years. Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if Erika keeps Karen in the house for a few more years to help rear the younger children and new one that is on the way.

Karen has one of those faces that can appear more mature than it is. I really wonder who things are going to pan out now that Karen is coming up upon her courtin' years. Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if Erika keeps Karen in the house for a few more years to help rear the younger children and new one that is on the way.

Erika's already said that she doesn't believe in kicking kids out once they're 18. I don't think many people actually do that... do they? Erika really relies on Karen and Melanie to help raise the kids. She also seems to rely on them to look after Happy. Since she (Erika) posted the "Meet Happy" album, there has not been a single picture of her with Happy. Happy seems to be entirely the responsibility of the oldest two. When Erika posted a picture of Karen with curlers in her hair, Karen was bent over a book and making notes. I looked closely at the book (I'm fairly good at reading stuff upside down) and it was a dog book, something to do with "understanding your puppy's natural (something) impulses" (the word looks like petty, I think, or maybe potty, I dunno).

Also, has anyone else seen this picture of Karen holding Happy in the van? facebook.com/LargeFamiliesOnPurpose/photos/pb.171658456210597.-2207520000.1432850695./870973472945755/?type=3&theater

That looks really dangerous to me. Karen is wearing a seatbelt, so the van is probably in motion... There's a reason you're not advised to hold babies like that in a car.

Of all the kids we discuss, I think that I feel sorriest for poor Karen and Melanie. If you look at the schedules for previous years that Erika has posted, they have never really had much free time to themselves. For example, at 12, Karen had ONE AND A HALF hours of school each day and (possibly) an hour free, all the rest of the time was doing chores, supervising other's chores, feeding her baby sisters, etc. Erika put down a daily nap for herself but for oldest? Nope, they have to supervise the other kids, or do laundry, or do meal prep. Erika also does not seem to include any time to do school directly with Karen and Melanie in many of the schedules, making me think that they have largely taught themselves for years. The curriculum she teaches also seems rather limited: just math, English, history and science. No art. A tiny bit of music, a tiny bit of physical activity on about half the schedules. No drama, no languages. When I was in high school I got to try out a lot of different courses like psychology, creative writing, in addition to different types of science. These kids don't even get exposure to things like psychology. (well, I mean, of course not, 'cause if they studied psychology they might run for the hills. as they should.)

Free Karen and Melanie!!!

Of all the kids we discuss, I think that I feel sorriest for poor Karen and Melanie. If you look at the schedules for previous years that Erika has posted, they have never really had much free time to themselves. For example, at 12, Karen had ONE AND A HALF hours of school each day and (possibly) an hour free, all the rest of the time was doing chores, supervising other's chores, feeding her baby sisters, etc. Erika put down a daily nap for herself but for oldest? Nope, they have to supervise the other kids, or do laundry, or do meal prep. Erika also does not seem to include any time to do school directly with Karen and Melanie in many of the schedules, making me think that they have largely taught themselves for years. The curriculum she teaches also seems rather limited: just math, English, history and science. No art. A tiny bit of music, a tiny bit of physical activity on about half the schedules. No drama, no languages. When I was in high school I got to try out a lot of different courses like psychology, creative writing, in addition to different types of science. These kids don't even get exposure to things like psychology. (well, I mean, of course not, 'cause if they studied psychology they might run for the hills. as they should.)

Free Karen and Melanie!!!

A-freaking-men. I totally get that homeschoolers can spend less time on a subject, but one-and-a-half hours is ridiculous. The British school system is different to the American one obviously, and when I was twelve I was doing a lot: English, maths, all three sciences (bio, chem, phys), French, German, Drama, Art, History, Geography, Religious Studies, PE... and I bet I've forgotten one. All from a secular perspective: in Year Seven (equivalent to sixth grade) Religious Studies I learnt about Buddhism, the following year Judaism and Islam... And did I convert to any of them? No.

About the languages for them, I think I've noticed Spanish in an old schedule, but it was written in brackets with a question mark, like it was an optional subject.

Something on their homeschool curriculum has bugged me for a while: what the hell is YP?

ETA: yeah, free Karen and Melanie!

A-freaking-men. I totally get that homeschoolers can spend less time on a subject, but one-and-a-half hours is ridiculous. The British school system is different to the American one obviously, and when I was twelve I was doing a lot: English, maths, all three sciences (bio, chem, phys), French, German, Drama, Art, History, Geography, Religious Studies, PE... and I bet I've forgotten one. All from a secular perspective: in Year Seven (equivalent to sixth grade) Religious Studies I learnt about Buddhism, the following year Judaism and Islam... And did I convert to any of them? No.

About the languages for them, I think I've noticed Spanish in an old schedule, but it was written in brackets with a question mark, like it was an optional subject.

Something on their homeschool curriculum has bugged me for a while: what the hell is YP?

ETA: yeah, free Karen and Melanie!

Bolding mine. Can you post a link? I only ever remember seeing VP, as in Violin Practice.

Bolding mine. Can you post a link? I only ever remember seeing VP, as in Violin Practice.

Here's the one for last year: largefamiliesonpurpose.com/search/label/Schedules%20-%20My%20Current%20One (This is Spring Schedule 2014)

It definitely looks like Y to me. Also, Brandon gets to do YP, and he doesn't play violin. (In the album she posted on Facebook about a violin recital, she wrote "for three kids so far"). Also she usually writes 'Violin' out in full when it comes to violin practice. largefamiliesonpurpose.com/search/label/Schedules%20-%20My%20Current%20One (This is for Fall 2013). This last link contains both "YP" and "Violin", and I don't think Erika makes them do violin twice, especially seeing as Brandon also does YP, but was not featured in the violin recital album, and there is no evidence of him playing any kind of instrument (it isn't mentioned in his short bio in the Christmas letter, whereas violin IS mentioned in the three oldest girls' bios.

ETA: There's another Erika-related user title now: "Being Paid in Jellybeans" (not sure if the "being" is included or not). It's the new one for 200 posts. I like these user titles, they're awesome!! :cracking-up:

Opening and closing the blinds is on the schedule. :shifty-kitty:

Opening and closing the blinds is on the schedule. :shifty-kitty:

What if it's raining?! Then the whole schedule is thrown off!

Here's the one for last year: largefamiliesonpurpose.com/search/label/Schedules%20-%20My%20Current%20One (This is Spring Schedule 2014)

It definitely looks like Y to me. Also, Brandon gets to do YP, and he doesn't play violin. (In the album she posted on Facebook about a violin recital, she wrote "for three kids so far"). Also she usually writes 'Violin' out in full when it comes to violin practice. largefamiliesonpurpose.com/search/label/Schedules%20-%20My%20Current%20One (This is for Fall 2013). This last link contains both "YP" and "Violin", and I don't think Erika makes them do violin twice, especially seeing as Brandon also does YP, but was not featured in the violin recital album, and there is no evidence of him playing any kind of instrument (it isn't mentioned in his short bio in the Christmas letter, whereas violin IS mentioned in the three oldest girls' bios.

ETA: There's another Erika-related user title now: "Being Paid in Jellybeans" (not sure if the "being" is included or not). It's the new one for 200 posts. I like these user titles, they're awesome!! :cracking-up:

Somehow I'm missing it on the schedules. I can't begin to fathom what it could be though either.

What time do you se YP? I'm missing it. Could it be Yard Play? Nah, they already play ourside :lol:

What time do you se YP? I'm missing it. Could it be Yard Play? Nah, they already play ourside :lol:

For Spring Schedule 2014, it's at about 11:30 for Karen and Melanie, 11:00 for Brandon and 12:00 for Anna Marie. Then in Fall 2013 it's at 11:30 for Karen and Melanie and not scheduled for any other kid. For Fall 2012, it's at 9:30 for Karen and Melanie.

ETA: It's not included in the latest schedule.

So... I've never actually looked at Erika's blog until today.

Y'all aren't kidding about the *smile* thing, are you?

She uses it every couple of sentences!

Yup, as well as *wink*, *laugh*, *chuckle* and *beam*- see the post count label I came up with *wink* *sorry*

My first thought on YP was yard patrol, as in clean up the dog poop, but seems like you don't need 4 kids a day on that. Or maybe yard patrol = watching the little kids in the play yard while mom home schools some of the older kids?

:D I also enjoy *squeeze hugs*. Her and the blogger from "Generation Cedar" were sending *squeeze hugs* to each other in the comment section of a Generation Cedar post I read the other day. It was the first time I had ever seen that blog. It was one of those "I choose to invest my time raising babies for the LORD and the world just doesn't get it posts." :shrug:

My first thought on YP was yard patrol, as in clean up the dog poop, but seems like you don't need 4 kids a day on that. Or maybe yard patrol = watching the little kids in the play yard while mom home schools some of the older kids?

Don't think so. Many times when the older kids have YP scheduled, none of the younger kids are in a play yard.

Not that I know exactly what it is, but I'm guessing YP is some portion of her homeschool curriculum. She has SOS in some of the blocks too, which is Switched on Schoolhouse.

I'm not sure why I'm surprised, but they seriously expect all their young kids to play BY THEMSELVES in different rooms for 2 hours every day?

I also came across a schedule for 2011, which might have been the worst yet. Lacey and Lilly were newborns (nb) and were already scheduled for feedings at 3 hour intervals :shock: And it's not even like she was bf-ing, because Karen was expected to help her feed them every time.

Not that I know exactly what it is, but I'm guessing YP is some portion of her homeschool curriculum. She has SOS in some of the blocks too, which is Switched on Schoolhouse.

I'm not sure why I'm surprised, but they seriously expect all their young kids to play BY THEMSELVES in different rooms for 2 hours every day?

I also came across a schedule for 2011, which might have been the worst yet. Lacey and Lilly were newborns (nb) and were already scheduled for feedings at 3 hour intervals :shock: And it's not even like she was bf-ing, because Karen was expected to help her feed them every time.

With the time alone thing, I think she gets them to play by themselves so they can have time alone without others to distract them.

Here's the baby scheduling post. Warning- it may make you want to kick a puppy it's so cruel. "Learning to eat meals instead of snacking all day?" Seriously??? They are TINY BABIES with TINY STOMACHS. I was fed on demand as a baby, as I'm sure many of my fellow FJ-ers were, and I don't "snack all day". Once again, Erika is talking pure and utter bullshit.

largefamiliesonpurpose.com/2011/02/large-family-organization-scheduling.html

ETA: ZsuZsu herself comments on this post. And in the Archived Threads section, there's a thread about ZsuZsu criticising Erika's methods. The upshot was that ZsuZsu breastfed her kids, on demand. Erika bottle-feeds according to a schedule. Erika mentioned she had problems breastfeeding, fair enough if she did, but the scheduling and having three-month-old babies feed only every four hours is just horrible.

Edited again: here's the old thread: freejinger.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=207&t=22899

Yes, and to feel even more sorry for the oldest girls, they are such a blessing, cooking for "they're" tired, expecting mama.... bitch, how is that any different from any other days for them? Oh, and they went away for their 18th wedding anniversary, not hard to do when you have indentured servants who are forced to take care of the other children overnight...

.I hate her I really do..... On the baby note I want to think her mama instincts kick in right? That maybe she listens to her doctors that say feed on demand??? Right??? I think I will put her on a schedule of feeding and sleeping......And why doesn't her husband step in???

Archived