Breaking away from the food talk, I just read the blog entry about Halloween. In it, she says she once had a friend get into the "dangerous" game of Dungeons and Dragons. Come ON! *eyeroll*

Did she describe what she thought was so dangerous about it? :lol:

• Replies 907
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Breaking away from the food talk, I just read the blog entry about Halloween. In it, she says she once had a friend get into the "dangerous" game of Dungeons and Dragons. Come ON! *eyeroll*

It is dangerous. You might start to think for yourself *scream* and develop creativity *horror*. And you might decide that there is a great big WONDERFUL world out there, and we can't have that.

My daughter plays D&D and it's the best thing that has happened to her. She has blossomed. She has a great group of friends, she has something to look forward to every week, and it's a fantastic creative outlet for her. She has started writing fiction (D&D fiction). Maybe that's why Erica finds it so dangerous. She can't control the outcome.

About the protein bars: Erika said somewhere that they are Zone bars, which are full of actual protein and not just laden with sugar. Also, this is what the post about Olive Garden says:

"Once in a while Bob and I have a home dinner date where he brings home food to-go from Olive Garden and he and I sit at the kitchen table together and talk while the children get to eat protein bars (a rare treat for them) and popcorn and fruit and watch a movie." The 'home dinner date' bit implies she DOES eat the Olive Garden, while the kids "get" to eat protein bars, popcorn and fruit. Not sure how often it happens. Also, the post is quite old, and we now know about the whole older-girls-babysitting-for-shitty-rewards thing, so I don't know if this Olive Garden thing is going to continue or not. Also, it sounds like the reward system is fairly new- in the post she says she's been implementing it for about a month.

Why protein bars, popcorn and fruit? She doesn't feel like cooking? Cant she just buy a few frozen pizzas and a bag of fries. Or break out the tried and true kiddie favourites like chicken nuggets. Easy to cook with as little effort as possible, and kids love it. And if she really doesn't want to cook, it is very easy for the two or three oldest to heat up a frozen pizza or some chicken nuggets.

Did she describe what she thought was so dangerous about it? :lol:

She didn't elaborate. Just that this was all part of what could happen to you if you allowed things like Halloween into your life. There could be friendship, entertainment, critical thinking skills...

Why protein bars, popcorn and fruit? She doesn't feel like cooking? Cant she just buy a few frozen pizzas and a bag of fries. Or break out the tried and true kiddie favourites like chicken nuggets. Easy to cook with as little effort as possible, and kids love it. And if she really doesn't want to cook, it is very easy for the two or three oldest to heat up a frozen pizza or some chicken nuggets.

My fiancé and I have a date night on Saturday night, so LF's request for her dinner with her Grammy (my mama is going to come over and stay with her) is Red Baron cheese pizza and onion rings. Yes, she specified Red Baron, go figure. I'm sure those kids would love to have frozen pizza and it's not THAT expensive.

Erika's too mean and selfish to do that for them, though. *gag*

Guys, don't you know? Dungeons and Dragons is SATANIC!

Sheesh, it's almost like the eighties never happened...

I swear life isn't fair sometimes. People like Erica can get pregnant and have kids but people who really want kids can't.

My husband and I love Chinese take out, and our favorite place is pretty pricey. When the kids were little (and didn't care for Chinese food) we always got them their favorite fast food on the nights we got Chinese. Now that they are older, our son also likes Chinese so he gets it too. Our daughter still likes her fast food thankyouverymuch, so that's what she gets.

*IF* we couldn't afford to treat everyone, then we would treat no one. I couldn't enjoy my dinner if I knew my kids we in the next room with popcorn and a granola bar.

ETA- We love Red Baron pizza! It's crunchy :lol:

M A N Y Thanks to all who clarified the OG/protein bars scenario.

The scene I had in mind was the 'rents enjoying tasty sauced foods while the kids gnawed on granola bars. That would have been cruelty!

PS: I don't get the OG snark. Yeah, it's Food, Inc., but it's pretty good, especially if a locally owned place isn't convenient. I always pick locally owned eateries when I can, FWIW, and ... yeah, that's all I have to say about that. Just curious!

I'm hardly an Olive Garden superfan, but I enjoy it occasionally. I mean, it's not like we're talking exotic cuisine here...it's pasta. Something most children very much enjoy. OTOH, I absolutely LOATHE protein bars. So weird-tasting, fake sweet and SO disproportionately heavy. I would be furious if I were expected to eat something like that, while watching my parents eat take-out right in front of me and taking care of their children for them.

If a protein bar is a "rare treat" for those kids, it must be unheard-of for them to get restaurant meals of their choice.

I was just reading her diet "tips," and it seems to me that if you have to drink more than a half gallon of water/tea/hot water to kill your hunger enough to get through the morning, then you're not eating enough. :cray-cray:

She morbidly fascinates me in large part because she strongly physically resembles a good friend who is also a control freak, but a member of a major Christian denomination, and never quiverfull.

My friend endured the traumatic loss of her dad at a young age and then was abducted and repeatedly assaulted in her late teens. I always have, and always will, cut her an infinite amount of slack for how she's not just survived but built a good life around faith, family and serving others.

But she *is* a whale of a controller. Which makes me suspect there's something similar in Mrs. Shupe's bio. *recoil*

Huge differences being: my friend raised her children to learn who they were, to stand on their own, to interact with the world. And she didn't make the olders raise the younger ones.

I was just reading her diet "tips," and it seems to me that if you have to drink more than a half gallon of water/tea/hot water to kill your hunger enough to get through the morning, then you're not eating enough. :cray-cray:

This is why quite a few diets do not work in the long term. They leave you feeling deprived. It was a drastic lose-weight-fast diet, and several of her commenters point this out. She points this gem out: "but can we really expect to lose weight perfectly comfortably without ever having to feel hungry?" Err, are you fucking serious?? PLENTY of people lose weight without feeling hungry. She had no fat or carbohydrates, ONLY meat and eggs and vegetables.

She drank 64 oz of water a day, and looking around on the internet, it seems to be the amount recommended by health professionals. Except she drank it within the space of about one and a half hours. Half of it during her Bible time, and half of it during her prep for the day. :cray-cray:

My husband and I love Chinese take out, and our favorite place is pretty pricey. When the kids were little (and didn't care for Chinese food) we always got them their favorite fast food on the nights we got Chinese. Now that they are older, our son also likes Chinese so he gets it too. Our daughter still likes her fast food thankyouverymuch, so that's what she gets.

*IF* we couldn't afford to treat everyone, then we would treat no one. I couldn't enjoy my dinner if I knew my kids we in the next room with popcorn and a granola bar.

Agreed. I have NO idea how this woman can live with herself, feasting with her husband (who could actually use her diet tricks, unlike her daughters), knowing her kids are all nearby, but eating their "special treat" protein bars, popcorn and fruit. Normally I wouldn't hate on that meal THAT much, but this woman probably counts popcorn kernels. I have a hard time picturing those kids in that living room with a giant bag of popcorn...maybe a small cup each (just like elementary school snacks).

I missed out on that discussion of the 4th of July photo. VERY weird, especially with the water bottle protruding from between his legs. And how the girls beside them are both leaning FAR away. Strange and squicky.

Guys, don't you know? Dungeons and Dragons is SATANIC!

Sheesh, it's almost like the eighties never happened...

Well i remember that it's role playing with magical elements, right? Spells and levels. So... kind of like a hobby religion? idk :lol: For a while as a little kid i got into the Flower Fairies and believed that was real, so i can see how it would be easy to get swept up in DnD too and focus on it past the point of a just a stress relief fun activity. (this kind) pinterest.com/explore/flower-fairies/ from the 1920's

Personally i'd rather get caught up in WoW or some other kind of world-wide modern gaming because it's always changing. I took my kids to a dino exhibit and a comic con was going on in the convention center at the same time, it looked so fun :lol: And the Star Wars Celebration this year; so dorky but hilarious lol. I think i might try to convince my hubby to go see the new one this Dec, if we do our little guy will be 3, the same age i was when i saw RotJ in the theater with my dad and mom lol He's more into Marvel, Transformers and Fast and Furious though.

Stuff like DnD can be generational :dance:

ETA- We love Red Baron pizza! It's crunchy :lol:

QF fucking T!

She also has a similar thing about coffee to go. Apprently, Erika and her husband regularly go to a coffee drive-through to treat themselves. Her kids, however, do not get anything because it's too expensive to buy drinks for everyone and also because she doesn't want the kids to drink in the car. Instead, she gives her older daughters the amazing opportunity to earn "ice cubes" by doing chores every single freaking day without having to be reminded, and then they will get one strawberry smoothie for 14 "ice cubes." So theoretically, they could earn one drink every two weeks, except they also lose "ice cubes" if they have to be reminded of anything. So I'm not sure if a strawberry smoothie was ever actually earned. :shifty-kitty:

IF YOU CAN'T AFFORD COFFEE/SMOOTHIES TO GO FOR EVERYONE, DON'T BUT THEM FOR YOURSELVES. And especially don't buy them for yourselves while your kids are around. Good riddance, how sick is this woman?

QF fucking T!

She also has a similar thing about coffee to go. Apprently, Erika and her husband regularly go to a coffee drive-through to treat themselves. Her kids, however, do not get anything because it's too expensive to buy drinks for everyone and also because she doesn't want the kids to drink in the car. Instead, she gives her older daughters the amazing opportunity to earn "ice cubes" by doing chores every single freaking day without having to be reminded, and then they will get one strawberry smoothie for 14 "ice cubes." So theoretically, they could earn one drink every two weeks, except they also lose "ice cubes" if they have to be reminded of anything. So I'm not sure if a strawberry smoothie was ever actually earned. :shifty-kitty:

IF YOU CAN'T AFFORD COFFEE/SMOOTHIES TO GO FOR EVERYONE, DON'T BUT THEM FOR YOURSELVES. And especially don't buy them for yourselves while your kids are around. Good riddance, how sick is this woman?

(bolding mine)

IMO Erika should never have had a parent... her kids aren't kids to be loved and encouraged, they're little automatons to do the work and make her look good. To actually give them treats or things that would make them happy takes too much away from what she wants... :roll:

Does she cite lack of money for controlling what she serves to some family members vs others? If so, it is irresponsible to add more kids based on that fact alone.

I just can't get over the "protein bar, popcorn and fruit" she gives her kids "once in awhile". (what does that even mean? Once a week? Twice a month? Several times a year?" If I heard my 22 year old college student ate dinner consisting of a protein bar, some popcorn and an apple, I would chastise her gently "Oh honey, that's not really a meal! A fresh spinach salad with some tuna or chicken or boiled egg would have been better." I cannot picture myself giving that to her on purpose especially if she was still a child.

Maybe Erica's kids think protein bars are a treat because they are the closest thing to a candy bar that they ever get to eat. In fact I honestly think some scrambled eggs, some grapes and a candy bar would be more nutritious and possibly cheaper. Scrambled eggs can be whipped up in 5 minutes.

Blah. I have strong opinions on food having been married to a chef and having watched my weight most of my life. I am sometimes very surprised what people feed their children.

I never really understood the whole ice cream for dinner thing. Vitafam mom does that a good bit.

Just no. Ice cream is a treat or dessert. It is not dinner.

I just can't get over the "protein bar, popcorn and fruit" she gives her kids "once in awhile". (what does that even mean? Once a week? Twice a month? Several times a year?" If I heard my 22 year old college student ate dinner consisting of a protein bar, some popcorn and an apple, I would chastise her gently "Oh honey, that's not really a meal! A fresh spinach salad with some tuna or chicken or boiled egg would have been better." I cannot picture myself giving that to her on purpose especially if she was still a child.

Maybe Erica's kids think protein bars are a treat because they are the closest thing to a candy bar that they ever get to eat. In fact I honestly think some scrambled eggs, some grapes and a candy bar would be more nutritious and possibly cheaper. Scrambled eggs can be whipped up in 5 minutes.

Blah. I have strong opinions on food having been married to a chef and having watched my weight most of my life. I am sometimes very surprised what people feed their children.

I'm not a chef, but I like to play one in my kitchen. And I'm just as appalled by her choices for her family. Scrambled eggs would take 5 minutes and then dish washing time. Her kids don't have real breakfasts, so why not let them do breakfast-for-dinner? French toast and sausage. Whatever.

Part of my anger and dismay comes from the extra portions of hypocrisy these "homemakers" like to serve up. If a single mother with multiple jobs can feed her kid REAL food every night (which I do), why can't they make the healthy dinners which they claim is part of their superior mothering?

I don't get it. With Erika, it's even worse because her oldest son is just so very small. Stunted growth is a serious issue. Do they see doctors? I know I've seen pix of the kids waiting at a chiropractor's (I think) office. Then again, this is Erika. What doctor would know more than she does?

I never really understood the whole ice cream for dinner thing. Vitafam mom does that a good bit.

Just no. Ice cream is a treat or dessert. It is not dinner.

Meh, I've known people to do this on a really hot summer day. But they also allowed children to snack on other things later if hungry.

But this is Erika and other fundies we are talking about, not "normal" parents who do make sure their children eat properly on a regular basis, so it's not the same situation.

My first post!!

I've been following Erica for a while now and she actually scares the crap out of me. Ice cold, absolutely no discernible warmth there WHATSOEVER. And now a new tiny human at her mercy, to be starved and suppressed and crushed.

For me, she's the scariest of them all. Cold, cold, cold, brrrrrrrrrrr!

My first post!!

I've been following Erica for a while now and she actually scares the crap out of me. Ice cold, absolutely no discernible warmth there WHATSOEVER. And now a new tiny human at her mercy, to be starved and suppressed and crushed.

For me, she's the scariest of them all. Cold, cold, cold, brrrrrrrrrrr!

She approaches the care of her children the way I approach the care of my house plant. It's a check list of things to do so that they live. So why have so many? Jesus. A guy who may or may not exist who she may or may not meet when she dies, is controlling the use of her time, money, and space. I just don't get it.

My first post!

I have been reasond Erica's blog this week and it is making my sick.

I'm at the entry about raising the twins. "Twins-our life with them so far *smile*" from May 2012 and its gut wrenching.

She's talking about the worst thing about being on bed rest was watching her children's training and organization go out the window. Because she would have to re-train the children after the babies were born. And between that and re-organizing and cleaning she would never catch up.

Those poor kids. When I was on bed rest with my third it killed me that I couldn't spend time and play with my other two. That I was missing out and I was worried about the baby I was carrying. The state of my house wasn't a thought.

I hope a few of the older ones break out and rescue the rest.

The more I read the worse it gets. But I can't stop....

Archived