IGNORED

John "The Hot One" Maxwell Leaving the Country

nausicaa

Steve Maxwell, hear this: Even if we don't figure out where your son is visiting (or has visited), we are still pushing you further off the cliff of sanity, and right into the arms of paranoia. You lose either way. ;)

• Replies 696
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Didn't Stevehovah serve in the Air Force in SE Asia??

Right - Thailand, IIRC. Thus my guess that he wrote that post with "in country" in it.

John's looking a leetle worse for the wear in the latest photo.

Here in the US we are so spoiled. We complain about the AC not working.

I hope you're including your own family in that "We," Sarah. Because unless you plan to give up all of your high-tech equipment, the $600 Vitamix, the $700 Assistent mixer and so on (as well as the AC I'm sure you have), you're hardly one to point a finger. The Maxwells sure do like their creature comforts, right along with us heathens.

From the looks of the newest pictures, I think John loosened up a little and lost the 2nd shirt.

Appears he just has a V-neck grey t-shirt on.

You know, that photo of the little girl makes me think she's wearing a bindi. So I'm wondering if he's in India, Nepal, Bangladesh or Sri Lanka. It obviously gets cold in parts of India and Nepal, and doesn't get that cold in Sri Lanka and Bangladesh is usually warm, if we're using the chicken theory. That said, he seems like he's pretty darn sweaty and hot, especially if a cold can of soda was so welcome. Wherever he is is pretty hot right now.

What about the hills of Sri Lanka? I wonder if that would be cool enough for the roosters.

Its autumn there.

Two shirts--one shirt--soon he will need to do wash & will be in nothing but a sarong.

Don't make 7UP your idol, John!!

Now that we know about rooster combs, someone needs to research global 7UP distribution. :lol: [i see that outside the US, its a Pepsi product: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7_Up so probably available most everywhere]

I agree that the shoes left at the entrance (and the bamboo construction) points to SE Asia, not to Central America/Caribbean in spite of my predictions. Dammit, I won't be winning 2 animal crackers in this contest.

By the way, a number of SEAsian nations, Sri Lanka, Cambodia and Thailand among them, celebrated New Year earlier this week: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinhalese_New_Year

So keep an eye out for any hint of celebration. On the other hand, travel guides tell me that it isn't a great time to visit, because many of the locals travel to their home villages & transport is packed.

From the looks of the newest pictures, I think John loosened up a little and lost the 2nd shirt.

Appears he just has a V-neck grey t-shirt on.

It is a slippery slope. He first loses the 2nd shirt and next thing you know he is reading fiction books for fun and then he starts keeping up with the local news and next thing you know he has moved out of the compound and is starting a life of his own.

Perhaps Steve needs to go get advice from Daddy Arndt. That man has been able to keep all these men in their 30's from wanting to leave home.

It is a slippery slope. He first loses the 2nd shirt and next thing you know he is reading fiction books for fun and then he starts keeping up with the local news and next thing you know he has moved out of the compound and is starting a life of his own.

Perhaps Steve needs to go get advice from Daddy Arndt. That man has been able to keep all these men in their 30's from wanting to leave home.

I think Daddy Arndt's trick is that he gives his sons just enough freedom to keep them happy and from wanting anything more. Steve could never bring himself to let his sons have as much freedom (or fun) as the Arndt Manboys have.

This line by Sarah made me laugh.

When he arrived, the head man bought him a cold 7 Up.

"THE HEAD MAN"??? Maybe she means the leader of his group? John's host? The village leader?? Her writing....I just can't.

Anyway, "the head man" made me think of head hunters and I now know where John is.

John is on Gilligan's Island.

You're welcome.

"THE HEAD MAN"??? Maybe she means the leader of his group? John's host? The village leader?? Her writing....I just can't.

Anyway, "the head man" made me think of head hunters and I now know where John is.

You're welcome.

I wonder if John will need a chaperone when he goes on excursions with Mary Ann.

I wonder if John will need a chaperone when he goes on excursions with Mary Ann.

Definitely; but he'll ditch that chaperone very quickly when he sees Mary Ann in that form fitting, above the knee, gingham dress.

Ha!

How ya gonna keep 'em down on the Maxwell compound, after they've seen some unspecified country which might be in SE Asia?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_Ya_Gon ... aree%29%3F

I don't think Chef Anna is in any danger of being chopped. The Maxwells don't exactly strike me as adventurous eaters. Remember the time they decided to try lobster and everyone hated it? Bean burritos are probably as racy as they get.

blog.titus2.com/2008/10/03/a-delicacy-from-down-under/

Uh, Sarah. Down under usually refers to Australia and New Zealand. Lobsters come from under the sea.

That hardly counts. Steve served them cold, and then reheated in a microwave, lobster on a paper plate. I love lobster and probably would have disliked that.

That hardly counts. Steve served them plain cold lobster on a paper plate. I love lobster and probably would have disliked that.

Yes, If I recall there was no drawn butter and that's the best part!

That hardly counts. Steve served them plain cold lobster on a paper plate. I love lobster and probably would have disliked that.

It was probably deliberate on Steve's part. Can't have them developing lobster lust. (FTR, I'm not a fan, but at least I've tried it several times with different preparations made by talented chefs.)

Seriously worried, Steve? ;)

WARNING - LEST YOU BE TEMPTED || SERIOUSLY DADS

Do you blame your dad for some of the sins you struggle with? Do you think that God “goes easy†on the children who have adopted the sins of their father?

Each of us has a choice. Will we blame our sins on our father or humbly learn from his errors? We would be well advised to learn from our father’s failings, repent of them, and make right choices.

God in His mercy and grace gave Nebuchadnezzar 12 months to repent after warning him in Encouragement for Dadshis dream. His son Belshazzar, however, followed in his dad’s proud footsteps and reaped the consequences of his life on the very night God warned him. God did not give the son even 24 hours to repent. He did not get a “pass†because of the sins of his father.

I believe Scripture teaches that we are wise to learn from, repent of, and flee from our father’s sins. A son had better learn from his father’s mistakes and not make excuses for embracing them. God did not excuse Belshazzar because of his father’s sin of pride. He chastened him because he should have repented.

“And thou his son, O Belshazzar, hast not humbled thine heart, though thou knewest all this†(Daniel 5:22).

Steve Maxwell

You're welcome.

I can't speak to current convention, but in Nevil Shute's novel "A Town Like Alice," "head man" is used to describe the leader/chief decision-maker of a small Malaysian village that figures prominently in the story. (It's one of my fave reads - Shute really knew how to tell a story.)

That hardly counts. Steve served them cold, and then reheated in a microwave, lobster on a paper plate. I love lobster and probably would have disliked that.

The only time lobster should be served cold on a paper plate is when you are eating it from a truck mere feet from the ocean shore. Oh my gosh!! a fresh lobster roll in Maine...*sigh.* I'm sure that's not how the Maxwells were eating it. What a shame!

This was not me,

{L_MESSAGE_HIDDEN}:
but Is Terri's sister having a joke?

Tami says:

April 14, 2015 at 7:05 pm

Thank you for the updates. We love to hear about this new adventure for John. We pray he will continue to have good health. We definitely can relate to everything posted. For us, it was Coke. That was the best Coke we have ever tasted. The people we encounter have nothing (in our eyes) but yet they invite us in and give what they have. It is very humbling. Another thing, they are generally happy and most of the prayer requests were/are to praise God for who he is and what they have. Truly, we are the ones blessed by meeting these people. May God continue to guide and work in John’s heart and life while there.

Tami

What if the clear liquid in his 7UP bottle was really vodka? The best he's ever tasted, indeed.

I tried the "find a company" search at the irrigation association web page, but it doesn't search only by country. I also looked at the irrigation foundation to see if they listed any programs in developing countries. I'm sure Steve is laughing over our detective work.

I can't speak to current convention, but in Nevil Shute's novel "A Town Like Alice," "head man" is used to describe the leader/chief decision-maker of a small Malaysian village that figures prominently in the story. (It's one of my fave reads - Shute really knew how to tell a story.)

Your post makes me realize I was too quick to snark. Maybe John had explained this custom to his family and Sarah skipped that detail when updating their blog. I assumed it was similar to her describing some man at their conference as "the other dad."

Wouldn't it be nice if Sarah the writer had written "in the village where John is staying it is customary to refer to (fill in the blank) as 'the head man'", therefore giving clarity to her post and adding an interesting detail to the story?

Still, I can see that maybe I should not have jumped straight to Gilligan's Island as his location.

Archived