IGNORED

SAHD blog- the Boyer sisters

iloveevolution

17 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

Interesting.  Do we know the reason for the move?  I also wonder whether this slight degree of opening up has anything to do with the Fall of Doug Phillips (who is a tool).  A lot of the Vision Forum followers were upset by that. There is not much IBLP/ATI about them but an awful lot of VF.  They are as much into facile worship of WWII as the Phillips sisters too.  As for the photos of Gabe in a kilt - oh the memories. :)

Not all Patriarchal thinking or courtship crap comes from Gothard - and the Boyers identify as Reformed Presbyterian.  Levi (Jessica's former fiance) was definitely into VF as well with all the references to the films and the San Antonio Film Festival.  I note with amusement that he was also working for the ArK Encounter.  

Let's hope Bridget's engagement works out better than Jessica's.  All three sisters are talented.

I have no idea what prompted the move, but if I had to guess, I'd say that Mr. Boyer lost his job. There was a season of vague-posting for a while that mentioned family prayer, and uncertainty, and possible changes that they all needed to be prepared for. The general vibe was fear. The new home is a rental, is apparently much smaller than their old house, and has some neglect to the structure and yard. Without outright complaining, every one of the sisters has remarked upon the new place with some degree of disdain. This was clearly not a welcome location to move to, even if the move itself wasn't entirely a bad thing for the family. 

Oh, Gabe. In the relatively few appearances he's made on the blog so far, we've seen Gabe the Hipster, Gabe the Try-Hard Old Time Chimney Sweep, and Gabe the Revolutionary War Soldier.  I'm officially Team Gabe. He's amazing. Anyone who somehow managed to overcome the actions of his best friend to rattle Brigid Boyer's cage is pretty fantastic in my book.

• Replies 644
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, SolomonFundy said:

I have no idea what prompted the move, but if I had to guess, I'd say that Mr. Boyer lost his job.

I haven't read much of their blog so far and wonder how I managed to miss this family before.Were they in TX before the move?  I wonder whether he worked for VF and followed Geoff Botkin to TN. The sisters are obviously really into Reclaiming Beauty and the Botkinettes and seem to be pals with Fresh Modesty's Olivia.  She is getting married soon.

I found an old thread -  the sisters are much younger than I thought because that red lipstick ages them by at least 10 years.  Charlotte is only about 16, Bridget is a really talented seamstress, and Jessica just seems preachy.  I'm not terribly impressed by their singing but I dislike snarking on teens.

Ohh, I'm glad we're discussing these girls again. I find them interesting because the parents seem fairly normal (the mom wears jeans and they "only" had 3 kids), they go to a pretty normal church, yet the girls live in this fantasy retro bubble. I almost feel like some of their fundie opinions on dating or gender roles comes from this made-up vintage ideal world they created among themselves, rather than being indoctrinated by their parents or church. But I could be completely wrong...

By the way, I had no idea there was a subculture of young people who fetishize the WWII era like that. Just browsing through their facebook friends opened up a whole new world to me. Did you see that Gabe (Brigid's fiance), travelled for 40 days in Europe in a 3-piece suit?? This has to be the sexiest thing ever for a Boyer girl. Although he must have sweat his balls off.

Screen Shot 2016-07-24 at 2.50.06 PM.png

1 hour ago, usedbicycle said:

By the way, I had no idea there was a subculture of young people who fetishize the WWII era like that.

Well, WW II fetishist-in-chief, Doug Phillips Is A Rapist, spawned a whole slew of WW II leghumpers & pretenders, a number of whom are actively peddling their bullshit, not mention the Linden, TN re-enactments, etc. that the Botkins have been involved with as well as the Boyer Sisters. 

N.B., Have ANY of these WW 2 fetishists served in the military? I know Dougie & company never did but how about the younger ones?

Of course not, there are women and GAYS and for all of the WW2 stuff. David Botkin, posts some pretty awful anti military crap on their FB pages.  They live in the women never worked and only pined for their sweethearts world.  What is interesting about the Linden TN thing it is a town wide thing so I am not sure if they sponsor it or they just participate in it.  I am not that far from there, I should go on a fundie watching experiment and report back!

3 hours ago, usedbicycle said:

I find them interesting because the parents seem fairly normal (the mom wears jeans and they "only" had 3 kids), they go to a pretty normal church, yet the girls live in this fantasy retro bubble.

"Fairly normal" is relative.  So is the "pretty normal" church.  Massive red flags on the church - and the blog.

They strike me as very VF Botkinites (AKA wicked awful Patriarchal Fundie even when wearing pants and dancing) to the max.  Ultra-Fundies under cover, if you will.  In some ways they are far more dangerous than the obvious frumper-wearing Gothardite.

Still digging on this family though.

The casual way they write that they sing music designed for swing dancing but aren't allowed to dance to it is super sad. If they can't tell that this is bizarre and at least in need of some attempt at justification... oh, girls. Step back from the echo chamber and take a deep breath. 

Anybody else think that Jessica has a Blake Lively vibe to her? It's like seeing Adaline in real life.

49 minutes ago, teachergirl said:

Of course not, there are women and GAYS and for all of the WW2 stuff. David Botkin, posts some pretty awful anti military crap on their FB pages.  They live in the women never worked and only pined for their sweethearts world.  What is interesting about the Linden TN thing it is a town wide thing so I am not sure if they sponsor it or they just participate in it.  I am not that far from there, I should go on a fundie watching experiment and report back!

Women worked during WWII.  They worked a lot!  It was only after the war ended that they became unemployed, because their jobs were reassigned to the returning soldiers. 

I may be in the minority here, but I find them charming (they have some videos on YouTube).  I have a bunch of CDs from the '40s and '50s for the car.  If my elderly parents got cranky, I'd pop in a CD and boom! crankiness averted.  I can't help but wonder if a lot of their venues are nursing homes and VFWs.  If they could broaden their repertoire and include the 1950s, they'd have a Zooey Deschanel thing going.

38 minutes ago, JMarie said:

Women worked during WWII.  They worked a lot!  It was only after the war ended that they became unemployed, because their jobs were reassigned to the returning soldiers. 

I may be in the minority here, but I find them charming (they have some videos on YouTube).  I have a bunch of CDs from the '40s and '50s for the car.  If my elderly parents got cranky, I'd pop in a CD and boom! crankiness averted.  I can't help but wonder if a lot of their venues are nursing homes and VFWs.  If they could broaden their repertoire and include the 1950s, they'd have a Zooey Deschanel thing going.

Yes, women worked during WWII.  Just ask my late mother and her peers.  They risked their lives and it wasn't by singing songs.

The Boyer Sisters are charming only in the sense that they are brainwashed educationally neglected little puppy dogs with very little knowledge and a whole lot of hubris.  I pity them.

I think our instincts should be to educate them not to encourage them.  If we need songs to sooth cranky older parents - why the originals are easily available.  Kids with more understanding of the war years than the Boyers would be a whole lot better.

Ooh, lookie there!  Gabe was in a lot of VF productions and acted in Alone Yet Not Alone.

Gabe is rather glorious.  He also seems very familiar.  Was he a VF intern or do I perhaps remember him from a Hazardous Journey?  I so miss following those unhazardous misscations.

6 hours ago, jakesykora said:

I noticed this when Gabriel's name first came up but don't recall seeing it posted. Now that there's a thread I figured I would.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3784558/

Ah, yes. The kinds of movies that Henty readers would enjoy. Where men were men, and women were fiery and passionate and attractive to the eye, yet submissive to their particular menfolk. I remember watching those movies, put together by homeschool families and publicized by VF and DPIAT and his Christian film festival, and thinking it looked a lot like playing dress-up, only on a larger scale.

My memory is foggy. Were there ever any less-than-beautiful young people -- you know, struggling with weight or acne or speech impediment -- in one of those films?

2 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

Gabe is rather glorious.  He also seems very familiar.  Was he a VF intern or do I perhaps remember him from a Hazardous Journey?  I so miss following those unhazardous misscations.

I don't think I've ever met Gabe, but he very much reminds me of the peculiar young men to be found in certain patriarchal circles (like VF and NCFCA -- which is a whole topic unto itself, run by strong women but patriarchal as all get-out).

I'm sorry, I'm probably coming off as patronizing, but I mean "peculiar" with all fondness, thinking back on some of the young people we knew. They were intelligent, sensitive, gifted, creative, had a flair for the dramatic, and expressed it by natty dressing, larger-than-life gestures, painting or composing music or writing and performing plays. Probably some of the boys grew up to be assholes like their role model DPIAT (and some of the girls we knew grew up to become subdued, restrained, seeming to outward appearance to be shadows of their former lively selves), but I wonder how many of the others got out? We know a few other outcasts in our particular circle of acquaintance. Mostly young men. I think it's very hard for young women to leave.

Or maybe the young men didn't have to leave, since their particular form of individuality and eccentricity was tolerated by the patriarchs?

We've lost contact - having left, we are now considered a corrupting influence, so I don't hear much of what goes on in those circles these days, except when I run across a mention in FJ. I admit, I'm not much of a blog reader.

40 minutes ago, refugee said:

I mean "peculiar" with all fondness, thinking back on some of the young people we knew. They were intelligent, sensitive, gifted, creative, had a flair for the dramatic, and expressed it by natty dressing, larger-than-life gestures, painting or composing music or writing and performing plays. Probably some of the boys grew up to be assholes like their role model DPIAT (and some of the girls we knew grew up to become subdued, restrained, seeming to outward appearance to be shadows of their former lively selves), but I wonder how many of the others got out? We know a few other outcasts in our particular circle of acquaintance. Mostly young men. I think it's very hard for young women to leave.

Or maybe the young men didn't have to leave, since their particular form of individuality and eccentricity was tolerated by the patriarchs?

One thing I will say in favor of the VF crowd in their attitudes towards the interns - they did (do) not disrespect creativity in young men.  They actually encouraged it.  The numerous interns could be Manly Men on Hazardous Journeys and make pretty little greeting cards as a hobby.  They were also actively encouraged to become part of the film industry.

However, they were also steeped in the Great Commission and totally indoctrinated by revisionist history.  Doug Phillips, Bill Potter, and all that lot have a lot to answer for.  Most of the interns and hangers-on come over as arrogant assholes.  See Nathaniel Darnell, for whom I have a particular dislike.

I'm not sure how many of the young men get out - yes, it probably is easier for them.  Peter Bradrick certainly distanced himself from both Doug and Scott Brown, his FIL.

I think some do get out but struggle to relearn a lot of things.  As far as individuality goes - we have one excellent example who got out and is a member here. I've ripped into his conceited rear end more than once - even while trying to give him the benefit of the doubt.   Judge his progress for yourself - and now I've mentioned him I expect he'll come back to justify himself again.  I think this was the last thread he posted on.

Gabriel Everson seems to be a very good match for Brigid on paper.  They both sew extremely well and love dressing up in costumes.  I wonder whether they can make a decent living out of making costumes for the Christian film industry and revisionist re-enactments.

21 hours ago, hoipolloi said:

Well, WW II fetishist-in-chief, Doug Phillips Is A Rapist, spawned a whole slew of WW II leghumpers & pretenders, a number of whom are actively peddling their bullshit, not mention the Linden, TN re-enactments, etc. that the Botkins have been involved with as well as the Boyer Sisters. 

I can't understand why a veteran would be interested in a reenactment of a war where I'm sure their close friends died in horribly gruesome ways, and they saw terrible things that no one should have to see, but...I don't get Doug and his WW2 fetishisation either.

23 minutes ago, Pravda_Iskra said:

I can't understand why a veteran would be interested in a reenactment of a war where I'm sure their close friends died in horribly gruesome ways, and they saw terrible things that no one should have to see, but...I don't get Doug and his WW2 fetishisation either.

Perhaps Dougie's just a little boy who never grew up.

I mean, in the 1960s there were all sorts of WWII-inspired shows. Combat!, Rat Patrol, 12 O'clock High, Hogan's Heroes are some. Little boys got plastic helmets and rifles for birthdays and christmas and ran around playing WWII. IIRC, little girls were allowed to play the part of nurses.

DPIAT is still running around playing at war, living some sort of fantasy and seemingly not interested in the reality. Or maybe the old soldiers were just too polite, or dignified. (Bet they had a few choice words to say to each other in private, though.) The ones I remember talking to, years ago, invariably told the "good" stories, the pranks, the hi-jinks, the funny anecdotes. They didn't talk about the realities of war, that people like Dougie and his ilk want to dry-clean and romanticize.

Sorry, this rant turned out longer than I thought it would. The rest is behind a spoiler.

Spoiler

In fact, one of my male relatives (now deceased) came back from the Battle of the Bulge, where he served as a medic, and it was said that he didn't speak at all for six months. Even when he started talking again, he never talked about the war. He stayed pretty firmly in the present moment.

We're re-enactors, not the 1940s but another era. We know we're not completely authentic -- we're a lot cleaner than the people we're re-enacting, for one thing. (Hurrah for daily showers when we're at home!) We wash our hands before cooking and eating, even when we're in our historically accurate clothing. We practice modern safety methods (don't cut vegetables on the same board where you've cut up raw meat). There are modern fire-extinguishers concealed in convenient locations in case a cooking fire gets out of control, for example, and first aid kits are handy. Other than these kinds of safety issues, we try to be as authentic as possible while in the field -- and man does it feel good to take a shower when we get home, and change into non-smoke-stinking clothing! (I'm very spoiled.)

However, I suspect that Dougie, in his reenacting glory, tries quite hard to have his cake and eat it too. I imagine he likes to fantasize about his bravery and how he'd cover himself in glory if only he had lived back in the day. So he patronizes those old soldiers who survived, many of whom probably did heroic things, but would never have the audacity to call themselves heroes.

In my experience, in their view, it was always some other guy who was the hero. And often, it was that same "some other guy" who didn't come back from the war.

30 minutes ago, refugee said:

Perhaps Dougie's just a little boy who never grew up.

I mean, in the 1960s there were all sorts of WWII-inspired shows. Combat!, Rat Patrol, 12 O'clock High, Hogan's Heroes are some. Little boys got plastic helmets and rifles for birthdays and christmas and ran around playing WWII. IIRC, little girls were allowed to play the part of nurses.

DPIAT is still running around playing at war, living some sort of fantasy and seemingly not interested in the reality. Or maybe the old soldiers were just too polite, or dignified. (Bet they had a few choice words to say to each other in private, though.) The ones I remember talking to, years ago, invariably told the "good" stories, the pranks, the hi-jinks, the funny anecdotes. They didn't talk about the realities of war, that people like Dougie and his ilk want to dry-clean and romanticize.

Sorry, this rant turned out longer than I thought it would. The rest is behind a spoiler.

Reveal hidden contents

In fact, one of my male relatives (now deceased) came back from the Battle of the Bulge, where he served as a medic, and it was said that he didn't speak at all for six months. Even when he started talking again, he never talked about the war. He stayed pretty firmly in the present moment.

We're re-enactors, not the 1940s but another era. We know we're not completely authentic -- we're a lot cleaner than the people we're re-enacting, for one thing. (Hurrah for daily showers when we're at home!) We wash our hands before cooking and eating, even when we're in our historically accurate clothing. We practice modern safety methods (don't cut vegetables on the same board where you've cut up raw meat). There are modern fire-extinguishers concealed in convenient locations in case a cooking fire gets out of control, for example, and first aid kits are handy. Other than these kinds of safety issues, we try to be as authentic as possible while in the field -- and man does it feel good to take a shower when we get home, and change into non-smoke-stinking clothing! (I'm very spoiled.)

However, I suspect that Dougie, in his reenacting glory, tries quite hard to have his cake and eat it too. I imagine he likes to fantasize about his bravery and how he'd cover himself in glory if only he had lived back in the day. So he patronizes those old soldiers who survived, many of whom probably did heroic things, but would never have the audacity to call themselves heroes.

In my experience, in their view, it was always some other guy who was the hero. And often, it was that same "some other guy" who didn't come back from the war.

And back then, able-bodied young men were expected to do a hitch in the military, either by enlisting or the draft.

2 minutes ago, smittykins said:

And back then, able-bodied young men were expected to do a hitch in the military, either by enlisting or the draft.

I'm old enough to remember the draft since my age cohort was in it for the VietNam War. It was stressful for my male relatives & friends who had to wait for the numbers to roll over though, arguably, a draft lottery was the fairest way to deal with it.

That said, I can about guaran-damn-tee you that were there still a draft when Dougie was of age (18-26), he would have a record-setting number of exemptions for not being in it. 

Interestingly enough, even Howard Phillips who was eligible for the draft for the Vietnam War never served in the military.  Harvard to YAF to politics to Nixon Administration.

Where Dougie gets his military and WWII obsession from is a mystery.  

Well and it isn't really about honoring those soldiers and their tremendous sacrifices.  It is about their false history of a time where women stayed home, civil rights certainly were not for everyone and glorifying a war that had very real consequences for those who came home.  It is like their Titanic obsession, it all sounds so romantic about men laying down their lives for woman and children.  We know that isn't even close to what happened....

15 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

Interestingly enough, even Howard Phillips who was eligible for the draft for the Vietnam War never served in the military.  Harvard to YAF to politics to Nixon Administration.

Howard Phillips would have gone through college before student deferments were eliminated. If he married & became a father right after college, that, too, would have been good for a deferment. It's also possible that Howard was classified as ineligible for the draft for health reasons. 

Don't have people's age information but my impression is that Dougie & buddies are all just a tad young to have been subjected to the draft lottery since that ended in 1975, before many if not all of them were 18. A possible exception is Geoff Botkin who may have been old enough to be in draft lotteries.

Every time I see this thread I think of Annie... And I start singing...  Ahhhh, the lovely Boylen Sisters... Oops I mean Boyer. If you need me I'll be in the prayer closet. 

• 3 weeks later...

Fun fact: I found FJ when I was searching for a forum that was discussing the Boyer Sisters. These girls are my all time favorite fundies. I come to their blog for the beautiful photos and outfits but I stay for the crazy. I think they are all beautiful and talented ladies but oh so horribly ignorant and misguided, what a waste. When I read their blog I often wonder how different their lives would be if they weren't fundies. They just seem to have a lot of potential. 

Anyway I have been loving the exciting stuff that's been going on in the past few months in Boyer land. I mainly came here because I wanted to see if anyone had some conspiracy theories about Levigate. I saw that a few weeks after they announced the break, the girls put up a post where they were dressed up as goths/punks and basically trolled all their die hard followers about starting a metal band. One line that really stuck out in that post was where they joked about breaking their "fundie chains". Now this got me thinking...what if Levi had some sort of plans to rescue Jessica and give her a normal life, well, relatively speaking. I stalked his FB for a good while so I can see that he is a fundie but he didn't seem like an extremist who was after a sow that can also cook and clean.

I mean there must be some liberal aspects to him if he works for the film industry, even if it is fundie films...right? So my theory is, maybe Levi suggested that after they got married that Jessica attended...OMG COLLEGE! Like you know, got further education about something she is passionate about and learn about the outside world. Or worse...GOT A PART TIME JOB. Maybe he suggested these freedoms to her and she decided to nope out of there because it was too confronting for her to be with a man who wanted her to think for herself and be independent. In her blog posts she vauged a lot about how she almost got trapped into a life that was "wrong"for her, so that's why I'm thinking he suggested getting an education/job. Because those are all horrible things ya know? None of these people seem to know how to set their FB on private and in my stalking it did not show up that he was a playa or any of the normal stuff that people call off engagements for.

Also Levi and Gabriel are still FB friends so I'm guessing he will probably be at the wedding:popcorn:I wonder if there's a chance of them getting back together...I just don't know how Jessica could let go one of the only fundie guys I've seen who doesn't look like the product of inbreeding. Poor Brigid, when I saw Gabriel without his hat for the first time...:pb_surprised:

On 7/25/2016 at 8:08 PM, Palimpsest said:

Where Dougie gets his military and WWII obsession from is a mystery.  

Eh, my dad was too young to serve in Vietnam, and he's super into military history, simply because he finds it interesting and key to understanding the modern world. He actually collects WWII memorabilia. The difference is that my dad doesn't play soldier and doesn't glamorize wars and conflicts into some Dulce Et Decorum Est bullshit like Dougie.

On 7/25/2016 at 8:19 PM, teachergirl said:

Well and it isn't really about honoring those soldiers and their tremendous sacrifices.  It is about their false history of a time where women stayed home, civil rights certainly were not for everyone and glorifying a war that had very real consequences for those who came home.  It is like their Titanic obsession, it all sounds so romantic about men laying down their lives for woman and children.  We know that isn't even close to what happened....

Pre-freakin'-cisely. I love historical reenactment, but anytime I see people romanticizing and idealizing the past, I roll my eyes. Yes, World War II had a lot of heroism and triumphs of the human spirit/ingenuity, but it was also a time of unimaginable hardship and sorrow. And I really don't get the romanticizing of the Titanic. Yes, the clothes at the time were pretty, but what on earth is romantic about dying from hypothermia, or being crushed to death by debris? And all the self-sacrifice narratives focus on the gallant first class men, not on the engine room workers, all of whom died, because they stayed on the ship and kept the lights on and the systems running as long as possible to help everyone else escape. But they weren't glamorous enough, I guess. Who cares that so many more would have died were it not for them?

• Destiny locked this topic

Archived