IGNORED

SAHD blog- the Boyer sisters

iloveevolution

'and even though I could become an entrepreneur, I still desired to be with my father'

She believes that she could have become an entreprenuer? Really? Or in their world is selling hand-crocheted doiles on Etsy entrepreneurship?

Then she says the Lord opened up a way for her father to have his own business and thank the Lord she could devote herself to it?

So is the sister singing act her headship's business or is there some other business I'm not aware of?

• Replies 644
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the best chance of attracting a husband via a blog would be through a future sister-in-law. Fundie girl follows a blog, thinks the blogger might be a good match for her brother, mentions it to her parents and they set it up. OR Fundie girl follows a blog and thinks the blogger's brother might be good match for her and casually mentions it to her parents and they set it up.

Future sister in law is a very accepted way of catching a girl a husband without being branded as flirty. Also, the moms get rather enchanted with famous daughter in law catches. It gets you into inner circles and you get to name drop at the pot lucks. Since the parents are the ones behind everything the mom goes to the husband and says "Have you noticed thus and thus family? I'm thinking so and so might be a good match for Samuel".... then the husband gets on it (since most of them actually work for a living they don't have time for blogs) and sets up a dinner with such and such family, or a trip to the church, or however else they plan to get to get the other family's attention. It's all very covert and sneaky. Unfortunately I did raise my kids in this culture-of the Reformed stripe. Yes, I have repented, and apologized. But this sneaky thing drove me nuts to no end and I did, even at my worst times find it very offensive. Like some guy is going to covertly come over as a guest or invite us and then appraise my daughter's worthiness from afar. (And later he could say "and I noticed her obedient spirit, her service to the family, her wonderful lasagna....gag!) And then if you didn't pick up on the hint (I always pretended not to get the hint.) They'd dump you like a hot tomato and move on to the next pretty girl,/famous family/ranking elder's kids. The other thing about the Reformed group is they are very prideful on how they are NOT all legalistic, like the Baptists. And they do reassure themselves that they value education, and in many places the children are held to higher standards of learning-of the memorization type, like learning Latin and being able to quote Bede and Calvin. But not to question. No, never that. But it was finally the whole courtship culture that made me start to realize that the whole thing was just nuts, so I guess I should be thankful for that.

edited for typo

'and even though I could become an entrepreneur, I still desired to be with my father'

She believes that she could have become an entreprenuer? Really? Or in their world is selling hand-crocheted doiles on Etsy entrepreneurship?

Then she says the Lord opened up a way for her father to have his own business and thank the Lord she could devote herself to it?

So is the sister singing act her headship's business or is there some other business I'm not aware of?

I think their dad has a home based graphic design business that the girls help with, especially Charlotte has been learning graphic design and web design from Daddy-ship.

This blog fascinates me. They seem to have genuine talent (creativity, sewing) - ok, at least more than I did at that age - but their views are sooo antiquated. Maybe I'm stereotyping, but I always thought of the vintage, mod cloth-esque aesthetic as more liberal than fundie. For example, I couldn't see the Duggars in long denim skirts shopping in Anthropologie. Just watched one of their videos from 2014 where they were asked to name aspirational figures. Of course, two of them named the Botkinettes. #headdesk

I looked through their "How We Play" series and it seems to me that their toys are spotlessly clean and don't appear to have ever been played with!

Anyone else notice that?

I looked through their "How We Play" series and it seems to me that their toys are spotlessly clean and don't appear to have ever been played with!

Anyone else notice that?

Aren't they a little old to do a "how we play" series? Looked at it after you mentioned it here. They act like the "Groovy Girls" (completely innocuous cloth body dolls) are "out there." I'd love to see their reaction to the Bratz dolls...

• 2 months later...

Gosh, watching this makes me wish I didn't have to go to work and think about paying bills all day! Though I would probably get unspeakably bored if this was my entire life.

boyerfamilysingersblog.com/2015/07/a-day-in-the-life-vlog/

Oh For Fucks Sake. V is for vapid.

Who drove them to their group haircut? Mommy?

Good luck finding a husband, ladies.

Oh For Fucks Sake. V is for vapid.

Who drove them to their group haircut? Mommy?

Good luck finding a husband, ladies.

Someone should send them a link to "ah! the life" so that they can see the wonderful world of bitterness, envy, and digging ditches that awaits them.

What the hell? Who can afford to have that kind of ridiculously leisurely lifestyle?

Well, unlike some other SAHDs, they do seem to work outside the home. They are a band which also sings very secular songs. (facebook.com/boyersisters?sk=app_182222305144028)

I don't know if they make much money, but at least, they do have jobs (singing, pretty professional blogging with modeling clothes etc.).

I don't think they are that fundie, their appearance seems to be pretty much a marketing plot for selling their stuff like dresses and songs.

ETA: their blog seems to be pretty commercial: boyerfamilysingersblog.com/advertise/#ads

Would be interesting to know how much they make with ads etc.

Not sure why I watched that but the difficulty of cooking two eggs at once! in two pans! absolutely cracked me up.

Oh these are the vintage girls.

That was boring to watch. although my days aren't exactly exciting as i work from home. I think everyone would die of boredom if I recorded my day.

I was really interested in the dress. Sheer material is such a pain to work with. Plus I was super impressed that she was working without a pattern and was just going with the drawing. I liked that part. actually, I would liked to have watched more about the dress and her sewing.

• 1 month later...

I haven't checked in on this blog in forever (was in a hole studying for the bar exam all summer, then obviously had to come out of hiding for the wave of duggar scandals) but their most recent post is on Jamberry nail wraps. WHY DO FUNDIES LOVE THESE SO MUCH? I swear they've been featured on every Duggar wedding episode. Granted, I like the idea, but I'm so turned off by the fundie association.

• 7 months later...
On 4/10/2015 at 6:58 PM, Just_Jane said:

I like vintage style and make my own vintage inspired fashions because there are some great little details you just don't see on modern clothes. I love many of the fashions of the 40's, 50's and 60's but I would not want to live back in those decades.

I get more attention from men when I am looking more vintage dressed. Not sure if it's because I carry myself a bit differently or if because it's not jeans and tee which tends to make a person blend in instead of stand out.

Could have written this myself!

I just found this thread and their blog thanks to a reference on the Unmarried Fundies thread. I love their style! But their beliefs and idealizing WWII...brrrr...shivers down my spine. :omg:

The relationship between fundie daughters and their dads is seriously creepy. It's just unhealthy and weird.

• 3 months later...

I couldn't find a current thread on just the Boyer sisters, though I remember that a good conversation took place in the Upcoming Marriages thread last year.

There have been some recent interesting changes in Boyerland over the past year, and after the most recent post by Charlotte, I thought it was a good time for a thread.

Background: "The Boyer Sisters" is the eponymous stage name of three girls who have been middlin' to fringe fundies for much of their lives. The eldest is Jessica, the middle sister is Brigid, and the youngest is Charlotte. The girls range in age from 19 to early 20's, and enjoy living and communicating in a heavily cultivated "vintage" fashion.  Other than their music, they run a blog that features the crafts (especially sewing), wardrobes, and photography of the three girls. Jessica doesn't seem to have much of a niche, other than being the preferred model for a lot of generic posts, but Brigid is an exceptionally good seamstress, and Charlotte is a very capable photographer and illustrator. Charlotte also has an interest in web design, and has curated the look and content of their last two blog updates. The most recent iteration is their new website, which just launched a couple of weeks ago, along with news that they plan to pull away from their singing careers. 

They were  all homeschooled, all have purity/promise rings and Hope chests, and they've all been indoctrinated in the courtship rituals of ATI/IBLP followers. Jessica alluded to a failure to properly "govern her heart" a few years back, but otherwise they all survived adolescence unscathed until Jessica met a suitor (Levi) last year. The young man in question had two friends who became immediately attached to the family, and there was a certain "three boys for three Boyers" kind of vibe that came through the posts. Jessica's courtship and engagement were meticulously documented on the blog, which made the crashing failure of said engagement even more shocking. Literally just a few weeks after proposing, Levi apparently dumped Jessica without any warning because he decided she wasn't right for him after all. (Yaaayyy, broken heart pieces.) The family retreated en masse to lick their wounds, and came back to the blog just in time to announce a financially necessary move to a much smaller rental home in another state. Brigid's engagement (yep, to one of Levi's friends) was announced last month, and her wedding is currently in the works. I expressed my concern here at the time of Jessica's failed engagement, that the elder Boyers may decide to become far more strict in their handling of their daughters' future romantic opportunities. But, strangely and wonderfully, it seems that they relaxed their standards even more. Brigid's engagement post was filled with references to a generous amount of time spent communicating alone on the phone, and to numerous private conversations. 

What peaked my interest for this thread was the most recent post. In it, the youngest sister, Charlotte, alluded to the fact that SHE TOO had a failed relationship with a "friend" that ended badly around the time that they moved. She didn't offer much detail (other than the fact she was unhappy when she realized how much effort she'd put into pleasing this one "friend", and how hard she'd worked to earn their attention and respect), but it seems likely that her suitor could have been the third boy that accompanied Gabe during the group "totally not dating" phase that they shared during Jessica's courtship.

IF this is true, then all three girls did get attached to all three boys, and despite the fundy protocols her parents had in place, two of the three suffered heartbreak as the result. 

Glad it wasn't just me that read it that way!

Regardless, I actually find it interesting to see the way J/C have been quite open about their thoughts/processing/etc in the wake the end of their respective relationships (even if C hasn't confirmed if it really was with a/the other of the guys like at least some of us are inferring)

Both have been surprisingly introspective and willing to be far more real than many other bloggers are period about something difficult, but especially when you look at what others in their (general) circles tend toward.

And even moreso given that at least in Jessica's case there's no denying that much of what she's been realizing has come in the wake of the end of the courtship. Compare that to many other families who flat out erase any posts on courtships that have ended, some hardly even acknowledging it, just trying to act like it never occurred, let alone that there was any fallout (though that's obviously inevitable no matter how much they try to convince people that's a 'pro' to courtships)

I appreciate the honesty of both the Boyer girls in their recent posts, including acknowledging and alluding to the changes it's all bringing in their relationships with one another, and various things they're each looking at as a result of all of what's gone on the last few months (including even style changes with one!)

@jakesykora : Absolutely. It really impresses me that the family (let's not pretend that the "girls" have exclusive autonomy over what they post) has been so willing to leave the courtship saga up, as well as document Jessica's ongoing recovery from the experience. They've removed posts in the past for a variety of reasons, which makes their honesty and transparency during the recent months all the more remarkable.

The changes lately lead me to believe that the family may have left their strongest ties to fundamentalism behind with the move. The parents seem to value the happiness and health of their children over appearances, and the additional freedom given to Brigid during her courtship suggests that they are open to change. I'm really glad for them if that's the case. 

So I'm assuming Brigid's fiance is still friends with Jessica and Charlotte's ex-boyfriends, right? How awkward is that wedding going to be?

1 hour ago, SolomonFundy said:

The changes lately lead me to believe that the family may have left their strongest ties to fundamentalism behind with the move. The parents seem to value the happiness and health of their children over appearances, and the additional freedom given to Brigid during her courtship suggests that they are open to change. I'm really glad for them if that's the case. 

Oh, I hope so!

This seems to be a strong factor in parents getting out from under that controlling system. I mean, I know a number of kids (teens and adult children of fundies) who have walked away (or been thrown out), but I don't know that many parents who are able to eat humble pie for the love of their children. Some of those I know who walked away from our former church simply chose fundie-light churches in the end, and are still raising their younger kids with "lighter" versions of those ideas.

ETA ('Cause you know they were doing the right thing; they just weren't doing it right.)

16 hours ago, refugee said:

ETA ('Cause you know they were doing the right thing; they just weren't doing it right.)

But... I thought it wasn't that complicated!

22 hours ago, SolomonFundy said:

@jakesykora : Absolutely. It really impresses me that the family (let's not pretend that the "girls" have exclusive autonomy over what they post) has been so willing to leave the courtship saga up, as well as document Jessica's ongoing recovery from the experience. They've removed posts in the past for a variety of reasons, which makes their honesty and transparency during the recent months all the more remarkable.

Interesting.  Do we know the reason for the move?  I also wonder whether this slight degree of opening up has anything to do with the Fall of Doug Phillips (who is a tool).  A lot of the Vision Forum followers were upset by that. There is not much IBLP/ATI about them but an awful lot of VF.  They are as much into facile worship of WWII as the Phillips sisters too.  As for the photos of Gabe in a kilt - oh the memories. :)

Not all Patriarchal thinking or courtship crap comes from Gothard - and the Boyers identify as Reformed Presbyterian.  Levi (Jessica's former fiance) was definitely into VF as well with all the references to the films and the San Antonio Film Festival.  I note with amusement that he was also working for the ArK Encounter.  

Let's hope Bridget's engagement works out better than Jessica's.  All three sisters are talented.

• Destiny locked this topic

Archived