IGNORED

SAHD blog- the Boyer sisters

iloveevolution

In their bios, one of them is dubbed their "copy-editor." Um, honey, the word is spelled "calendar." (And there were so many other misspellings that I stopped counting.)

• Replies 644
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In their bios, one of them is dubbed their "copy-editor." Um, honey, the word is spelled "calendar." (And there were so many other misspellings that I stopped counting.)

"Honey" oh, you're one of those

"Honey" oh, you're one of those

Whoa, yeah. And I get paid for it. ;)

They have a new post today- by the youngest- on sibling harmony and how it is so so so important for your siblings to be your very best (only?) friends. It's so strange to think about having had to prioritize that at their age- in an ordinary family sibling conflicts would be of minimal importance because 2 of the girls would likely be in college or otherwise out of the house at this point! The Duggars similarly harp on siblings as best friends like this- it's unusual, but I guess it would be more important if you really weren't allowed to have close friends outside your family

Oh my gracious. Reading their archives, I come across this gem:

I mentioned something about ground rules our parents laid out for us to play by, and I think this would be the appropriate time to name them. We were never allowed to pretend a boyfriend/girlfriend relationship between Ken and Barbie, they could only be husband and wife. We were not allowed to clothe our dolls in immodest garb. (Even those standards have been reformed quite a bit since those days.) And lastly, we were never allowed to use disrespectful words or make our dolls have sassy attitudes. They were always to be played with in ways that would edify and help us girls practice good behavior."

from: boyerfamilysingersblog.com/2014/07/how-we-play-groovy-girls/

Um, isn't the entire point of pretend play to expand your imagination and get to do things and have situations happen which would never happen in real life? There were no witches in the woods or kidnappers in my childhood, but you wouldn't know that from the way my friends and I played. Also, quite frankly, I think Barbies let kids explore their sexuality in a safe way, question gender roles, and play-act 'adult' relationships. I cannot believe that these girls have a problem with Groovy Girls. I mean, I know a lot of people who don't like Barbies or Bratz, but everyone loves Groovy Girls!

Here's the bottom line... boyerfamilysingersblog.com/advertise/

I feel sorry for girls like these and others trying to come up with ways to earn some cash while SAHDs and within the boundaries set for them.

DPIAT had his daughters and Lourdes doing just this kind of stuff, too.

Ironically, the girls they are portraying from the 40s would not have been happy with the rules they are living by.

Here's the bottom line... boyerfamilysingersblog.com/advertise/

I feel sorry for girls like these and others trying to come up with ways to earn some cash while SAHDs and within the boundaries set for them.

DPIAT had his daughters and Lourdes doing just this kind of stuff, too.

Ironically, the girls they are portraying from the 40s would not have been happy with the rules they are living by.

This is one aspect of the Phillips/Botkin/Brown/VF/NCFIC/Maxwell world I've never been able to fathom - the idea that intelligent, capable young women should content themselves with sitting around at home sipping tea and knitting, serving at Daddy's beck and call, and contributing to the "family economy" by selling homemade hairbows on Etsy for the occasional bit of pin money. And, cheerfully accept that their lives might not change for decades, if ever.

I would be bored. out. of. my. mind!

I mentioned something about ground rules our parents laid out for us to play by, and I think this would be the appropriate time to name them. We were never allowed to pretend a boyfriend/girlfriend relationship between Ken and Barbie, they could only be husband and wife. We were not allowed to clothe our dolls in immodest garb. (Even those standards have been reformed quite a bit since those days.) And lastly, we were never allowed to use disrespectful words or make our dolls have sassy attitudes. They were always to be played with in ways that would edify and help us girls practice good behavior."

Um, isn't the entire point of pretend play to expand your imagination and get to do things and have situations happen which would never happen in real life? There were no witches in the woods or kidnappers in my childhood, but you wouldn't know that from the way my friends and I played. Also, quite frankly, I think Barbies let kids explore their sexuality in a safe way, question gender roles, and play-act 'adult' relationships. I cannot believe that these girls have a problem with Groovy Girls. I mean, I know a lot of people who don't like Barbies or Bratz, but everyone loves Groovy Girls!

Yikes, just yikes. Even in fundie reformed circles, that's pretty far out there.

For some reason, I'd had the impression that the oldest Boyer was in her early 20s but I guess not. If they're still teenagers, it explains a lot of that blog and even the idealizing of certain historical periods (Nowadays, I see plenty of more secular tweens and teens do that, too.) They may not leave the SAHD fold to the extent that some folks on here would find "acceptable" but I'd be very surprised if they didn't start thinking for themselves a bit more as they mature. Reality seems to sink in in various ways for even the most restricted SAHDs, from what I've personally seen. It can often be a difficult process, though.

Oh, and that question about covenant rings. I haven't personally dealt with covenant rings, but yes, the term "covenant" is important in reformed circles. I'll spare you the dissertation-length post, but basically covenant theology is a way of organizing/understanding theology and the Bible as a uniform whole. However, it has also recently become something of a Calvinist buzzword and when I'm back home, it's not uncommon to hear "covenant" this and "covenant" that, and sometimes I get the impression folks using the word aren't necessarily saying what I think they mean to say.

Sidenote(because I often digress) - When I'm speaking of reformed circles, I'm usually thinking primarily of the Presby end of the reformed pool. I do have some friends who are reformed Baptists but I've never attended a reformed Baptist church and so I'm less familiar with their theology. Though, from what I've seen with my friends, I'd say there are some cultural similarities.

This is one aspect of the Phillips/Botkin/Brown/VF/NCFIC/Maxwell world I've never been able to fathom - the idea that intelligent, capable young women should content themselves with sitting around at home sipping tea and knitting, serving at Daddy's beck and call, and contributing to the "family economy" by selling homemade hairbows on Etsy for the occasional bit of pin money. And, cheerfully accept that their lives might not change for decades, if ever.

I would be bored. out. of. my. mind!

I see it as two kinds of advertising - one for some spending money, and two - to really, really try to find a way to snag that husband that hasn't come along yet.

Yes the hope chest posts in particular scream "looking for a Godly headship!" to me! It's like look, the trunk is full now, I'm ready to go, just need someone to replace this covenant ring with the real thing!

Sooooooooo no making Barbie and Ken wear eachother's clothing? Or perpetually naked Barbies because all of the clothes got lost in the mess that is under the average child's bed? No tying Barbies up with shoelaces and playing out hostage situations? Can they not go to space, or explore a jungle (the back garden when the grass needs cutting), or fight monsters? All kids get into crazy situations with their dolls, its just boring if you make them all act like real fundies.

"I suspect that these girls don't have any particular ideas about what the forties were or weren't like. Their blog does not suggest that they are interested in, much less knowledgeable about, any era in history.(Dude, the oldest girl answered the question "what do you think about the civil war?" with "uhh.. yay south!") I think they just like pretty dresses."

I think you're right--WWII era dresses were modest, and women dressed up with hats and gloves and pumps for social occasions, which appeals to fundies. Plus the popular American songs at that time dripped with sentamentality, which it seems to me is also a fundie favorite. Plus I was curious enough to go to youtube, and they mention one song was grandpa's favorite, which makes me think all that era's music were his favorite, and maybe that's what set the musical standard in their household.

I admit I have little if any ear, but "Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy" sounded thin and off to me. Anyone with musical knowledge have an opinion on their skills?

At least they aren't sawing away at the violin and putting their own words to "Edelweiss."

I like vintage style and make my own vintage inspired fashions because there are some great little details you just don't see on modern clothes. I love many of the fashions of the 40's, 50's and 60's but I would not want to live back in those decades.

I get more attention from men when I am looking more vintage dressed. Not sure if it's because I carry myself a bit differently or if because it's not jeans and tee which tends to make a person blend in instead of stand out.

If they are all young, I'll cut them more slack on their performances, but still find it sad they and their parents view their skills as good enough to take on the road and make cds.

But I went to a HS invitational jazz performance a few weeks ago that included HS kids who were prepping for a national competition. These singers were head and shoulders above these girls, so I can only cut them a little slack. 8-)

Songs of those past decades tended to be singable and had great harmonies, so that's another attraction to the era.

I admit I have little if any ear, but "Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy" sounded thin and off to me. Anyone with musical knowledge have an opinion on their skills?

At least they aren't sawing away at the violin and putting their own words to "Edelweiss."

Patsymae, I think your ear is fine. Personal opinion: those are 3 young, untrained voices that would benefit greatly from vocal coaching. They did a decent job for their ages and with a fair amount of choreography (again MHO) that distracted them from thinking about their singing, but yes, they'd be lots more entertaining if they weren't so unprepared as they were there.

Big Mama JB, born 1923, would've had a gentle fit at the slips showing under two of the sisters' dresses. Especially the one that was designed to do so!! LOL

When I clicked onto their singing introduction, and it was clips of various songs it made me think of an SNL clip. They were not terrible but it just seemed ridiculous and silly to me. Its not nice to say I know.

It may just be the area I live in but the performances at our local High school are pretty good. There is real competition for those who want to be in any of the productions. It is a lot more sophisticated than in my day. There also is a Christian Youth Theater company which put on some great shows. Our local park district is pretty crappy, but they have theater classes too. I guess my point is that there are a lot of opportunities for kids to learn to perform in my smallish suburban community from a super expensive performing arts center to a basic park district. and a few things in between. Heck YouTube is full of smart creative talented kids who put together entertaining skits and songs. In the grand scheme of things, meh.

Their singing is terrible to me. They could really improve with vocal lessons.

I think they are playing make-believe re: the 40s. A time period when women stayed home, sure, for half a decade. Then women went to work out of national necessity (in every country). Modesty standards went on hold, too. Shorts, bathing suits, shorter skirts, etc.

I hope the Boyer sisters cover their heads in church because even 40s women knew better than display their naked hair like monkeys. ;)

Oh my. The homeschooling graduation post is an absolute goldmine. Check out her speech!

boyerfamilysingersblog.com/2013/05/jessicas-graduation/

Good afternoon!

My name is Jessica Boyer, and I am so happy to be able to stand before you all today to joyfully proclaim that as soon as this tassel is turned, I can be called a home school graduate; and one who is truly delighted to be here with my fellow peers to represent the C.H.H.E.W graduates of 2013!

It is an exciting, yet daunting thing for me to even say that I am now a graduate – I have completed twelve years of my formal education, and yet it has not been by my own or my parents doing! It has been the wondrous work of our Loving Heavenly Father that has brought us, me, to this point in my life. Soli Deo Gloria! – To God be the Glory!!! Because of Him my life of academic study is behind me now, and I am moving onto other greater adventures! What will I pursue next? That has been a High School-long question of mine, and it has been a difficult question to answer until just a few months ago.

This question like many others, is constantly solved in our home by our family motto which goes like this: To what end? And since the beginning of High School, we faced this predicament, not fully knowing how to deal with it, but understanding that the answer must lie within the context of glorifying God and enjoying Him forever.

I remember sitting in our school room when but the tender age of 10, pondering what I would be when I grew up? Even just growing up into a young woman is hard this day and age! From the world’s point of view, girls are expected to grow up into women who will go out and achieve great things; we are expected to gain a successful career so that we can live a good secular life filled with our own self centered pleasures. But even when I was young, I knew instinctively that this was not what I was going to be. And thanks to my parents guidance, I grew to understand that I was not made, nor created, for that kind of life. Thus, ahead of me in my mind, I saw the daunting years of High School, and next came the big question mark – college? To what end?

As the years progressed, I did end up finding myself desiring to look into having my own small business geared around the skills and talents that I was exploiting daily. The idea of creating my own businesses was a part of the the vision that Dad and Mom had been building for me – and eventually my two younger sisters – over the first few teen years of my life. So instead of seeking the professional life of the Modern woman, we girls were given a different course to tread down, and seek out for the glory of God. Time and time again we had discussions around what God’s plan is for young women. We especially searched in the passage of Proverbs 31 which speaks specifically of the duties of a woman to her house, and to her husband. We couldn’t help but see that it is not the role of the woman to provide for her house, nor is it her place to rule her house.

However, from our readings we understood that it is good for a woman of God to seek work, but only work that which is profitable for her household and not for herself; in other words she is supposed to help her husband fulfill his calling by helping him enhance and care for his household so that he might be able to work in the areas that he as a man is called to– to fulfill in Christ’s name. But how could I really fulfill the calling of a young woman? I watched a handful of daughters from across the country who have engaged their talents in helping with their father’s life mission, or else his own business, and even though I could become an entrepreneur, I still desired to be with my father. But how could I help him whenever he worked for a company? So I prayed, and asked that The Lord would open up a door.

That prayer left my lips several years ago. And as time went on, I began to think that perhaps it went unheeded; perhaps it wasn’t God’s plan. But. Just a few months ago, my father was given the opportunity, by our gracious Heavenly Father, to start up his own company!! And because of this wonderful provision, doors have been opened up for me to help my father with his business, and at last, I can now fulfill my calling as a young woman by giving aid to my present earthly head, and in so doing, I have been able to answer the question, “What am I going to do with my life after High School?†And even better, I am free at heart knowing that I continue to live to the end of Glorifying God, and enjoying Him forever in the calling that he has bestowed upon me!! And I again say, Soli Deo Gloria! To God be the Glory!!!

And thank you, Dad and Mom, for cherishing me, your first borne, and very imperfect daughter! Thank you for showing me how much you love me by the hard decisions that you did not shrug off and let fly to the wind, thank you for installing in my heart a profound awe for my Heavenly Father, through whom all of this has come! Dad, thank you for tying my heart strings up into yours, and for caring for all of my cares, for all of my hopes and dreams in the most tender and satisfying way! You have been to me what no other father could be! And even though I was not given to you and Mom as a perfect sinless child, He certainly saw fit to bring our lives together and make them fit into His perfect story. Thank you Mom for being a mother in a million to me and the girls! Thank you for taking on the taxing job of teaching a very negligent daughter, and for obeying God’s voice constantly throughout the years of my home Schooled life; for teaching me the ways of a virtuous woman, and for being the fun loving Mom that you are! No one could ever replace in my heart all that you have done for me, and I praise God for giving you the strength and perseverance to lead me up to this amazing point in my young life! I love you both so much! God bless you for blessing me!!!

I see it as two kinds of advertising - one for some spending money, and two - to really, really try to find a way to snag that husband that hasn't come along yet.

I've noticed this about SAHD blogs, too. I've always wondered, what do the guys in these circles think of the SAHD blogs? In the churches I had experience with, I'm not really aware of that strategy working so well.

I love the Rosie The Riveter-style outfits with the bandanas. Actually, wait, no. I don't. I find it offensive that they promote dressing in the style of a 40's working woman, when they routinely criticize any woman that chooses to have a career or work outside the home. I find it on par with Lisa Pennington's $300 clothes that look like dirty rags.

I scrolled through looking for them, I either scrolled to fast or have up to soon. Either way, I take issue with this as well. I'm a USMC war vet & worked in the oil field for a decade after my discharge. I looked like Rosie every day. Not entirely intentionally.... It wasn't till one of my friends pointed it out that I looked in the mirror at my doo-rag, smudged makeup, stained cracked hands, & men's jeans that I saw what they saw. The 40's were gruesome. Anytime I think of women in those decades the movie Mona Lisa Smile pops in my head. I come from a long line of hardworking women, I bear no love for ignorant "kept women".... Fundy or otherwise.

I've noticed this about SAHD blogs, too. I've always wondered, what do the guys in these circles think of the SAHD blogs? In the churches I had experience with, I'm not really aware of that strategy working so well.

Desperate girls will try all kinds of things - within their boundaries. I could show you other examples of these girls websites. It seems quite common to me.

I can't speak for the guys, but I'm not terribly impressed, obviously. On the other hand, I don't think ill of them for trying.

Desperate girls will try all kinds of things - within their boundaries. I could show you other examples of these girls websites. It seems quite common to me.

I can't speak for the guys, but I'm not terribly impressed, obviously. On the other hand, I don't think ill of them for trying.

Thanks for chiming in. That has pretty much been my brothers' and cousins' view as well,but for obvious reasons, I definitely haven't gone around asking other guys from my old church.

Thanks for chiming in. That has pretty much been my brothers' and cousins' view as well,but for obvious reasons, I definitely haven't gone around asking other guys from my old church.

I think the best chance of attracting a husband via a blog would be through a future sister-in-law. Fundie girl follows a blog, thinks the blogger might be a good match for her brother, mentions it to her parents and they set it up. OR Fundie girl follows a blog and thinks the blogger's brother might be good match for her and casually mentions it to her parents and they set it up.

• Destiny locked this topic

Archived