IGNORED

SAHD blog- the Boyer sisters

iloveevolution

I actually woke up in the night and laughed out loud about having a "coming out post" for GASP!  Skinny jeans!!!!!!!1111!!11!!1! 

I mean, I know they don't have much going on in their lives, and love to self-dramatise, but wow, that was crazy - & the hundreds of photos in slightly different poses!  I feel bad about snarking on a teenager, but wow, imagine being that age and having the move from wide-legged jeans to skinny jeans be worthy of an announcement?

(I also love Gabe's ballet feet in his kilt cosplay - I'm still snickering, but the "so sensitive, so romantic" vibe from those shots it pricless)

• Replies 644
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, JesusPony said:

Here's the post that mentions the distance: http://boyersisters.com/2016/08/lately-fairy-houses-with-friends/

According to FB, the Boyer Sisters live in Wilmington, Ohio.
According to his Etsy account, he lives/lived in Liberty Center, Ohio.
And according to Google, that's about 160 miles.

Those were a lot of according to's...

Here's the post on why they're stopping singing together - I just don't get it
http://boyersisters.com/2016/08/boyersistersgoodbye/

(Plus I giggled at them making their own tribute to themselves!  I know, I'm veering into BEC, but at least call it memories, or favourites, or history or something!)

ETA I can absolutely see why losing this super-busy singing life would be so hard for the two that aren't getting married, but I don't understand why they can't continue as a duo? It doesn't seem like Brigid was the main singer.  The thing about agreeing to stop completely on marriage of 1 is so odd to me, and I'd probably be gutted if I had to stop my career because a sibling got married, esp if I were expecting to be the one to break up the band - BUT it feels unnecessary angst to me

35 minutes ago, Lurky said:

Here's the post on why they're stopping singing together - I just don't get it
http://boyersisters.com/2016/08/boyersistersgoodbye/

(Plus I giggled at them making their own tribute to themselves!  I know, I'm veering into BEC, but at least call it memories, or favourites, or history or something!)

ETA I can absolutely see why losing this super-busy singing life would be so hard for the two that aren't getting married, but I don't understand why they can't continue as a duo? It doesn't seem like Brigid was the main singer.  The thing about agreeing to stop completely on marriage of 1 is so odd to me, and I'd probably be gutted if I had to stop my career because a sibling got married, esp if I were expecting to be the one to break up the band - BUT it feels unnecessary angst to me

I can't decide if this is a Menudo situation and they want to maintain their image of a trio of wholesome but available-in-fantasy virgin singers, or if it's a Beatles situation and they just figure that every husband will be a Yoko (yes, I am fully aware that she did not break up the Beatles -- everyone hating each other already did).

So I read that post about the end of their singing career and looked them up on Spotify afterwards out of curiosity. And they're good. They've got that breathy forties sound down pat.

It's a shame the unmarried ones felt the need to leave this behind.

Hello people, former (?) lurker here! 
I've been reading the girls' blog for a while and although I think they are overly dramatic, it's a good thing that they're willing to write their honest thoughts on their blog instead of keeping sweet and saccharine all the time. Jessica's post shows how bitter she feels and probably jealous and guilty at the same time. She was always prone to melodrama and exaggeration, as shown by her 10-part engagement story and her homeschool graduation post, but her latest post made me think she's depressed and unable to handle her feelings. Does anyone know how her engagement ended? Was it his decision or hers?

Also, have the eldest two ever said their ages? I know Charlotte is 17, Brigid must be around 20, I tried googling her but all I found was her wedding registry. 

3 hours ago, DutchMommy said:

According to FB, the Boyer Sisters live in Wilmington, Ohio.
According to his Etsy account, he lives/lived in Liberty Center, Ohio.
And according to Google, that's about 160 miles.

Those were a lot of according to's...

That's not a super long drive since a lot of it is highway. It would probably be 2.5-3 hours. Which is completely doable when you have no job as a SAHD.

11 hours ago, JMarie said:

Well, she could wear one of those tube-top-belt things that were popular a couple of years ago.  I can't remember what they're called.  You can bend over all you want and your undies will never show.  One of those "get a second one free, just pay separate shipping and handling" items.

I can't remember what they were called either, but my dad was on an informercial binge buying kick at the time (one of the truly more bizarre seasons in my family's life...he had already actually purchased "Eggies"), and he was ecstatic about these things. Thank goodness my sisters and I managed to talk him out of buying these for us.

ETA: Thanks @Mommit! TrendyTop is what I was thinking of too. I tried looking online and could only find the HipT, which didn't sound right.

13 minutes ago, FreeMiriam said:

Also, have the eldest two ever said their ages? I know Charlotte is 17, Brigid must be around 20, I tried googling her but all I found was her wedding registry. 

I think they're all roughly 2 years apart, making Brigid 19 and Jessica 21.

@FreeMiriam Welcome!  Here's the post of why Jessica and Levi split  - he ended it, I think, but I can't parse what it's about, I feel like it's written in code...
http://boyersisters.com/2016/03/unexpected-journey-unexpected-ending/

Also, I've been reading their Hope Chests blogs, and wow, I find them super-sad.  Collecting all that stuff for their new life, because that's the only way they'll leave home?  And tying it into a Prince Charming figure?

I absolutely get the inclination to collect things, and dream about a new life ahead of you, when you're a teen. I remember how exciting it was, when I was 17, and my mum bought me a kettle because it was so cheap on sale, and it would be useful for when I went to university, and how excited and happy it made me.  I'd make a cuppa in my family home bedroom, and imagine how it would feel when I was doing the same thing in student flat, and it inspired me to make sure I got there.  So I can imagine how, if I'd been into vintage, I would have used my baby-sitting money to do charity-shop, jumble sale & second-hand shopping for that, instead of my endless quest for more 2nd hand books.

So I get that inclination, BUT it makes me worry about how the castles in the air about marriage will hurt them, when reality hits.  And bloody hell, they are so talented, at so many things, but their future is trammeled immediately?  I guess Brigid's Hope Chest of dolls is there for a future child, and the Hope Chest gets turned into a Baby Chest, but what will she do with that impulse now?

TL;DR:  The idea of having a "my first house" collection is great, but I wish it wasn't so narrowly tied to "getting married"

And @Mommit, wow, I didn't realise Jessica and Brigid are so young!  I know tons of FJers married young, and I've been with my partner since I was 21, but I really worry about Brigid being 19, coming from this little cocoon of fantasy life, suddenly married and away from that nest...  And wow, the older two look at least 5 years older than their years!  It could be that they look very typically American around the mouths, or it could be the makeup, but I had them both at least 25.

ETA Strange, the ages are on page 1, and I know I've read the entire thread, so don't know how I made them older in my mind - must be the make-up, and fact they've been singing together for 8 years.  I wonder if the fact they were unhappy with the downsizing move (discussed on page 1) was part of why they jumped into courtship so fast?  The combo of everything being about marriage as the only goal (even though, like everyone said, more women worked in the 1940s & 50s than didn't, at least in the UK) and having difficulties about where they're living?

3 hours ago, alba said:

So I read that post about the end of their singing career and looked them up on Spotify afterwards out of curiosity. And they're good. They've got that breathy forties sound down pat.

It's a shame the unmarried ones felt the need to leave this behind.

They sound really good, though occasionally I think they over-enunciate a little (on We'll Meet Again), though heck, after listening to people like Ariana Grande sing like they have marbles in their mouth and recorded everything while getting their teeth cleaned at the dentist, I'm perfectly fine with people who make the effort to actually enunciate.

34 minutes ago, Lurky said:

@FreeMiriamAnd @Mommit, wow, I didn't realise Jessica and Brigid are so young!  I know tons of FJers married young, and I've been with my partner since I was 21, but I really worry about Brigid being 19, coming from this little cocoon of fantasy life, suddenly married and away from that nest...  And wow, the older two look at least 5 years older than their years!  It could be that they look very typically American around the mouths, or it could be the makeup, but I had them both at least 25.

I agree, they definitely look older than their years! I attribute it mostly to their hairstyles and make-up, especially Brigid's. They just don't look like the young women I know. I guess it's their overall style.

Just curious, what is the typically American around the mouths referencing? Do Americans have certain kinds of mouths?

On 14/08/2016 at 8:41 AM, denimchastityskirt said:

Anyway I have been loving the exciting stuff that's been going on in the past few months in Boyer land. I mainly came here because I wanted to see if anyone had some conspiracy theories about Levigate. I saw that a few weeks after they announced the break, the girls put up a post where they were dressed up as goths/punks and basically trolled all their die hard followers about starting a metal band. One line that really stuck out in that post was where they joked about breaking their "fundie chains". Now this got me thinking...what if Levi had some sort of plans to rescue Jessica and give her a normal life, well, relatively speaking. I stalked his FB for a good while so I can see that he is a fundie but he didn't seem like an extremist who was after a sow that can also cook and clean.

On the blog about the engagement being over, this  had me especially scratching my head:

Ultimately, both Levi and I realized that there had been some miscommunication regarding his life vision, and over the course of time Levi realized that his lifestyle would not be a good fit for me to be his helpmeet.

That bit makes me think  @denimchastityskirt is right, and he wasn't expecting to have to support her to stay at home.  And he doesn't seem much older than her, I can't imagine being a prop maker for Christian films brings in a huge salary - then again, Gabe being a cosplay/Christian film tailor has that issue too...

But then this - I can't work out what was going on  here at all:

2) I was too trusting in love, and too careless with the things that could have made, but eventually broke up, our relationship–such as giving Levi the benefit of the doubt concerning how he planned to represent Christ to me, and then being okay with other things that were less than satisfactory, giving him the impression that that was how I wanted things to be handled, or how I wanted to be treated, when in fact that was not true. 3) I gave up too many things that made up who I was as a person, which was misleading for Levi, and very dangerous for myself, making me very unhappy.

I have absolutely no idea what "how he planned to represent Christ to me" could possible mean!  Can anyone versed in Fundy talk translate?  Dearies, I would so very much appreciate your helping hand!   (I was wondering if they are oblique references to anything from kissing to sex, but if they were planning a short engagement, why would that make him call it off? If it's something like that, I'm glad for her that it's over, but if it's more "he wanted me to get a job in the film business too/to go travelling togeether/not to have kids straight away" then I'm happy he held his ground)

As others said, I like that they're not brushing it all under the carpet, in a Bates/Duggar style - and this made me feel a bit better:

At first, I thought this was a terrible thing to have done–to give up your first love to someone who wasn’t meant for you in the end. That is what tore me up inside the most at first, until my Dad, and some very good friends, explained to me that giving up that part of yourself for a truly righteous and wonderful end goal, wasn’t anything to be ashamed of. Yes, I have given up my first love, and a first anything is very precious and so it is most painful to let go. I will have a scar where that wound is healing for the rest of my life. But that scar is to remind me that I did not fail. I actually succeeded… my family, with me, succeeded. How? We succeeded together because the mistakes we made in this relationship will never occur again. I succeeded because I gained a whole new perspective on the reality of love–what it is like to love, what it is like to be loved, what it is like to not be loved. Because of this relationship, I have shed the girlhood fancies and dreams I once had, and have been shown reality. Loving is hard work, and only the bravest of the brave can open themselves up in vulnerability to learn how to love and be loved by another.

I really like this - and I especially like that she's being public about it, and why the Fundy Courtship model is ultimately bad too.  In fact I want to applaud a lot in the blog, and the bravery she had in sharing it.  I'm sad the toxic beliefs re purity (and all the craziness of Hope Chests & purity covenants) made her hurt so much more - I really hope that Jessica and Charlotte will re-evaluate their life styles, get a job or go to college, and move away from Fundy.  Free the Boyers! (I know, the blog gives no indication they can/will, but with time on their hands cos of no singing, here's hoping!)

17 minutes ago, Lurky said:

Ultimately, both Levi and I realized that there had been some miscommunication regarding his life vision, and over the course of time Levi realized that his lifestyle would not be a good fit for me to be his helpmeet.

I interpreted this to mean that he assumed his lifestyle wouldn't change at all, but hers would change entirely. He didn't seem terribly close to his family, which I gathered from one of her Unexpected Journey posts, but she is very close with hers. It seems like he travels a lot for his job and Jessica seems more like a homebody to me. Plus, how would babies figure into that? Let's hope that Brigid and Gabe worked everything out. I'm curious to see what her life ends up being. Will they travel or is he settling down so they can have kids? Is birth control okay with them? So many questions! We haven't even seen the wedding pics yet :my_angry:

I assumed that Levi and Jessica differed on the subject of "letting god determine the number of blessings." Who knows though, that post is absolute word salad.

48 minutes ago, Mommit said:

Just curious, what is the typically American around the mouths referencing? Do Americans have certain kinds of mouths?

There's a certain kind of very wide mouth, with, big white teeth, that seems typical of a certain subset of white Americans - the look that someone had teeth that had a lot of orthodontic work, so now they have straight teeth, but it's really clear they didn't used to.  I think it's something about the very wide-mouthed, toothy smile too, with lips pulled away to reveal all the teeth that (in my opinion as a Brit) I don't see in people from other countries. 

It's just my opinion, and I am not at all snarking on people who had to wear braces, but there's a certain kind of face where the mouth makes me think "s/he's American". (I wonder if maybe USA braces are different to other countries, so kids learn to smile with their lips pulled back as it's less painful?  Of course, this could be the British equivalent of that USA stereotype that all Brits have really awful teeth!)

PS Everytime I think of the Boyers singing, I get this in my mind - no that's how to cosplay WWII!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ScjucUV8v0

On 10/11/2016 at 9:03 PM, Mommit said:

I've been following the Boyer sisters for nearly a year now. Up until Brigid's wedding, I felt like though they're very sheltered in their vintage-bubble-fantasy world, they seemed happy. Then things took a bad turn with Jessica's broken engagement, but honestly, that was doomed from the start! They were engaged within such a short time. I doubted they were able to really get to know each other, so it didn't surprise me one bit when it ended. But all this drama since Brigid's wedding has surprised me at first, until I gave it more thought. Of course they're happy for her, but since she's the first to leave the nest, it's left the remaining birds in a tailspin! I can say with near certainty that they don't have very many, if any, friends their own age besides each other. Naturally when one out of three leaves, there's a huge, gaping hole left behind. And it's intensified moreso for Jessica because no matter what she tells herself and the world, she still thinks it should've been her marrying first!

Bottom line is, they need to get out of their bubble and develop friendships and hobbies in the outside world. Imagine the drama when the next one marries and leaves one sad bird alone in the nest!

Checked out the blog as well and they are very likeable and talented.   I had a "vintage fashion" phase years ago so liked that they developed this interest as well.

Unfortunate that the two sisters are mourning Brigid's departure from the family home so extremely.  I had experienced some of that with my siblings when I married but not to that level.   I get that there's going to be a sense of loss and they will miss her, that's normal, but for them to carry on to the extent they have is not healthy for them or for their relationship with their sister.    Hope that both Jessica and Charlotte can find other friends and interests not just for their own happiness and well-being but before another one leaves because I can't imagine how much worse the melodramatic handwringing is going to be.

Thank you @Lurky!
It's a confusing post, it didn't make much sense when I first read it and it doesn't make any more sense now. A positive thing is that her family and friends did not shame her (at least to her face) about the broken engagement. My first impression was that Levi was less fundie than she thought and she was more embarrassed than sad when her relationship ended. 

The overreaction to Brigid's marriage is...scary, to say the least. These three girls are the poster children for enmeshment. And I've never seen a more miserable looking bridal couple in my life. I really hope they're happy, but I'm not taking bets on it.

17 hours ago, Lurky said:

(I also love Gabe's ballet feet in his kilt cosplay - I'm still snickering, but the "so sensitive, so romantic" vibe from those shots it pricless)

I hate to say it, but my first thought at seeing the pictures was that his face reminded me of a very serious six-year-old who was really getting into a dress-up game.

1 hour ago, ladyamylynn said:

What's going on with...uh...this area of the costume?

Screenshot_2016-10-13-23-02-02.png

Stahp! Okay, I went straight to this, as well. Fake? Jon Hamm? It so IMmodest. Also, that whole photo. His hair. It makes me feel like a really mean person. :-/

9 hours ago, Sobeknofret said:

The overreaction to Brigid's marriage is...scary, to say the least. These three girls are the poster children for enmeshment. And I've never seen a more miserable looking bridal couple in my life. I really hope they're happy, but I'm not taking bets on it.

Agree that the pic shown thus far doesn't have them looking happy, and hope it's just the photo and not their real feelings coming through.   

Unfortunately all the old style European pants seem to accentuate a man's junk like I've never seen. I've read that when Kings were being painted, it was common to make his bulge bigger than real life. :-/

Charlotte and Jessica's latest......oh for god's sake......

Wish these girls would grow up! They look like such idiots i can't stand it.

• Destiny locked this topic

Archived