IGNORED

SAHD blog- the Boyer sisters

iloveevolution

Thought I'd share a SAHD blog that I find highly amusing- the Boyer family singers. boyerfamilysingersblog.com

They are reformed Presbyterians and acquaintances/friends of Olivia of Fresh Modesty fame. They are all in their late teens and sing 1940s music and obsess over vintage fashion. They are pretty smug and judgmental about their "Family standards" - especially in their Q&A videos- they are anti women ever working outside the home and in a recent video the eldest sister said they wished that the south had won the civil war. They often post outfit posts with plenty of selfies as well as hair and makeup tutorials and a few haul videos from thrift shopping. They seem to do everything together as a group although the oldest is likely near courting age so that might be on the horizon for them - they will surely post a flurry about vintage weddings. The irony of them is that their favorite decade is the 40s, when lots of women were actually working outside the home to fill factory jobs for men who were at war- they do a lot of airbrushing when thinking about the past I think...

• Replies 644
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dang, I've clicked on their blog before but I was too busy lusting after their clothes to get a sense of their ideology!

Hoooooo boy, check out this entry: boyerfamilysingersblog.com/2015/03/our-covenant-rings/ about their purity rings.

On each of our fourteenth Birthdays, Dad gave us a little white box that held our Covenant Ring. The rings are molded with a cluster of three linked hearts and a Cross lying over them. The three hearts represent the three Covenant heads in our lives: Christ, our Dad, and Lord willing, our future husband.

The bolded part above sounds dangerously close to blasphemy to me- basically they've created a new holy trinity.

On another note, I would love to see Kristen Schaal parody these gals.

The comments on the purity ring posts are the best- apparently a lot of their followers are baptist theology rather than presby and freaked out when they mentioned infant baptism as part of their beliefs, so they posted again just to reassure everyone that they are, in fact, saved

I'm reading the post where she talks about the covenant rings. In this passage:

We plan to add into the usual wedding ceremony an extra ceremony for the taking off of these rings and the putting on of the wedding band. For me personally, I would like to have Dad take off my Covenant ring, and hand it over to my husband who will then put it on a chain to be worn around my neck. This would signify that Dad’s headship has been replaced by that of my husband’s. This ceremony will then be sealed by our vows and exchanging of wedding rings.

I think in that space of time where her dad takes off the ring and before her husband to be places it around her neck.....there would be no headship therefore - I would turn into the runaway bride and head for the hills! I would run for my life, my sanity, my freedom, my future children. Good grief! How many of these wackadoos exist in this world?

Hoooooo boy, check out this entry: boyerfamilysingersblog.com/2015/03/our-covenant-rings/ about their purity rings.

The bolded part above sounds dangerously close to blasphemy to me- basically they've created a new holy trinity.

On another note, I would love to see Kristen Schaal parody these gals.

Omg Kristen schaal. I love her. We actually went to the same high school. She was a senior when I was a freshman.

These stay at home daughters seriously frighten me. I love my daughter, but when she is an adult she needs to leave!

Oh man. They're a weird mix of fundie-style pontificating and a GOOP-esque fashion and lifestyle blog. A GOOP for ultra-conservative Evangelicals, it seems.

They seem to have great style and a knack for blog-design and self-promotion. But at the same time, their fashion-centered style of shameless self-promotion seems so anti-fundie, in a way. I'm confused and intrigued at the same time.

Think of Laura Ingals Wilder! If there was ever a physically capable young woman it was she. Though women are considered the weaker vessel, this doesn’t mean that we shouldn’t keep physically fit. Nor should we go to the opposite extreme in which we strive to be physically stronger than men.

Problem: I am fairly sure that Laura and Pioneer Women were, in general, more physically fit and strong than modern men who have desk jobs. They routinely lifted a lot of fairly heavy things doing farm-work, and walked long ways when necessary. You'd be surprised how strong routine manual labor makes you.

I may have cackled with glee when I saw a post about hope chests.. alas, it contains only the provisions for a tea party.. (These types of fundies are my favorite!)

These pinteresty fundie blogs by the pretty girls who mostly focus on fashion and crafting seem so dangerous- I wonder about how many young evangelical teen girls read these kinds of blogs and see these girls as role models, then listen to them when they "share their hearts" about always having to submit to make authority, not pursuing further education or vocation, waiting at home for Prince Charming etc.

They believe in "the holy Catholic Church?" Is that unusual? I don't know anything about Presbyterians.... Other reformed groups aren't ok with Catholics are they? I find these different groups so confusing.

the catholic church- as referenced in the apostles creed- means the universal church, it doesn't necessarily mean the Roman Catholic church- it's fairly common in presby (and I think also Lutheran) theologies to use the apostles creed with lowercase catholic

the catholic church- as referenced in the apostles creed- means the universal church, it doesn't necessarily mean the Roman Catholic church- it's fairly common in presby (and I think also Lutheran) theologies to use the apostles creed with lowercase catholic

I am presby (not the fundy kind!) and Iloveevolution has explained it perfectly - that line in the Apostles' Creed refers to the church as a whole (small c), not the Roman Catholic (uppercase C) church. Not one of my favorite lines due to the confusion it causes....

saying smart things just to get his attention away from his other friends is stealing

The last thing that you want to do is bring a young man down by acting in a prideful way when he is looking at you, or is talking to you. Young men can be easily damaged by this sort of behavior, and it is our duty to uplift them in every possible way. The world is filled with men nowadays who have no backbone, and I fear it is because we women (generalizing) have the greatest part to play in this. For the last century we have striven to lift our own heads out of the “confining†duties of being submissive housewives, submissive anything really, and in doing this we sought to bring the men down around us!

according to the 1828 Webster Dictionary, flirting is trying to get a persons attention in a pert or wanton way. Wantonness is being immodest and promiscuous in your behavior towards someone.

Nice.

Ah, thanks so much!

You too, queen!

I dig the Boyer Sisters. They are delightfully self-absorbed, sew beautifully, and have Wacky Vintage-themed Hijinks. I love how they unapologetically sing songs like "Rum and Coca-Cola" (which features lyrics about a mother and daughter team of prostitutes in Trinidad), yet post preachy "Q&A" videos about their purity rings and daddy fixations.

All joking aside, it's impressive to me that they've managed to effectively brand themselves and have a demi-successful singing career in their cloistered circle. Currently, they enjoy their public image and popularity. I hope they savor it. They are all still frantically dusting their Hope Chests while praying for their future Headships from the safety of their parent's house. But, one day, a prospective Headship is going to come riding in on a white horse and break up the band by marrying one of them. I follow the Boyer Sisters in part to watch the eventual melt-down that will follow this betrothal.

I'm honestly surprised that the eldest is still on the shelf. She's quite pretty, and her Hope Chest has been packed for close to 5 years now.

www.youtube.com/user/BoyerFamilySingers

Here is their youtube channel - a lot of their crazy comes out in the Q&A vids- esp the most recent one by Jessica, which includes their goop-style views on the horribleness of conventionally grown foods as well as a response to a reader who is in college saying that women should not work outside the home ever because they might end up under the authority of a man other than daddy dearest or headship

ETA: breaking link

Sounds very much like what I remember from videos and discussions of the Botkin girls' teachings. I never read So Much More but I heard a lot about it.

So they wear 40=50=60 every day ? Or is it just a hobby? I bet they only take the dresses of the affluent not the the poor ones during the 2nd world war.

I love the Rosie The Riveter-style outfits with the bandanas. Actually, wait, no. I don't. I find it offensive that they promote dressing in the style of a 40's working woman, when they routinely criticize any woman that chooses to have a career or work outside the home. I find it on par with Lisa Pennington's $300 clothes that look like dirty rags.

So they wear 40=50=60 every day ? Or is it just a hobby? I bet they only take the dresses of the affluent not the the poor ones during the 2nd world war.

Lol, it's like being a kid and imagining yourself in midevil times. Of course your a princess!

That may be why they are not married. There is cool retro and then there are costumes and dress up. I really dig ModCloth=cool retro. Some of those gals getups are like going to the Ren Fair and feeling out of place.

Some are cute too......but seem a little obsessed.

It is probably cultural approbiation of working women, seeing they dont work? at least they are only 3.

Don't they get paid for their singing? Interesting they don't view being entertainers as 'working'/

Don't they get paid for their singing? Interesting they don't view being entertainers as 'working'/

They don't count it as "working outside the home" rather it is "helping to add to the family's income with the full blessing of daddy and not having a boss other than him" a la many of the SAHM/SAHD home based businesses

• Destiny locked this topic

Archived