LOOK at this precious baby

also i am loving John's comment. :)

tumblr_inline_nncn6kONOv1t4yhd7_540.jpg

Another SOTDRT graduate I think. His Beautiful Girl who's sleeping good. :roll:

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another SOTDRT graduate I think. His Beautiful Girl who's sleeping good. :roll:

That was the first thing I noticed too. There was another post where he made the CLASSIC your/you're mistake. And I'm sorry, but asses to using " it was autocorrect!" as an excuse for your shitty grasp of the English language. Read over your posts before hitting send/submit/whatever!

Well, at least Alyssa will be doing the homefooling. She seems to have a better grasp on proper grammar, though she's been using a lot of Internet slang on her instagram lately. Hopefully she'll limit that to the Internet ONLY but I've heard horror stories from teachers at brick and mortar schools outside the home having essays handed in with u and r where you and are/our (yes, our) should be. Yikes! :shock:

I've noticed a rise in grammar snobs on the internet. I will say it's never been a peeve of mine, but my grammar education (public school) SUCKED. It was all busy work like writing a sentence 25 times (think the beginning sequence of The Simpsons) and we only had to write it, we didn't know what we were writing and why it mattered.

I can't fault people for poor grammar (I'm thankful for Word) when they haven't been taught it properly.

I'm obviously not a baby person because to me she is just not a cute baby. :lol: I actually thought she would be cuter. Lots of ugly newborns turn into adorable babies and children once they get a bit older, though, so I don't think it means much if a newborn isn't cute.

She does have a really pretty, delicate profile in this picture:

https://instagram.com/p/1leUoApAmY/?tak ... bster4ever

I promise you Alyssa knows the difference between "u" and "you". :roll:

As for why school teachers find that in papers, its not because of lack of knowledge, but because of habit. The internet has it's own dialects and grammar that have developed over the years, and it's not a big deal when the two worlds intersect. I'm sure Alyssa will be able to teach her kids standard grammar.

I honestly don't care at all if John capitalizes the wrong words and uses "your" when he's supposed to use "you're". My dad does all these things too but he's a loving, caring father, so why would it bother me? His training is in engineering, not "how to be a pretentious ass and correct basic grammar on the internet".

If you know what people are saying stop getting so worked up about it. There's a difference between understanding grammar and demanding it. Grammar snobbery is steeped in privilege.

As for why school teachers find that in papers, its not because of lack of knowledge, but because of habit. The internet has it's own dialects and grammar that have developed over the years, and it's not a big deal when the two worlds intersect. I'm sure Alyssa will be able to teach her kids standard grammar.

I honestly don't care at all if John capitalizes the wrong words and uses "your" when he's supposed to use "you're". My dad does all these things too but he's a loving, caring father, so why would it bother me? His training is in engineering, not "how to be a pretentious ass and correct basic grammar on the internet".

If you know what people are saying stop getting so worked up about it. There's a difference between understanding grammar and demanding it. Grammar snobbery is steeped in privilege.

Oh FFS. Maybe take the self-righteousness down a tad, perhaps?

No one was commenting on John's ability to be a loving, caring father or his validity as a human being. They were commenting on the fact that he is making some pretty glaring grammatical errors, which to me demonstrate some level of functional illiteracy. It does reflect poorly on his education, and since that education was most likely homeschooling, also reflects poorly on the Gothard homeschooling program.

As for your privileged comment, John's father is in the US House of Representatives. I wouldn't say John exactly had a rough start in which classism has held him back all that much.

I'm also curious, is pointing out the errors of creationism also steeped in privilege, since one's knowledge in this area is strongly affected by the education one gets? If I make a miscalculation in front of someone with more mathematics education than myself and that person corrects me, is he or she a "math snob" and a "pretentious ass"?

Yes, you tell'em! Tell my annoying professional association to drop the pesky communication requirements already and stop nagging people about grammer and speling and some such nonesense! People should just get over themselves if they receive their finanshel statmentz with some fresh authentic internet dialect. Why they don't allow us to put LOL after a particularly bad bottom line is beyond me.

Like Nausicaa said, John had every opportunity to learn proper grammar. I only moved to an English-speaking country at age 30 and am still able to figure out my your/you're choices.

Chiming in to say that I had a pretty good public school education (1980s, California) and I still have trouble with good/well, who/whom, etc. Who cares, it's not that serious. It's instagram, not a scholarly paper.

Sometimes I see text that suggests an inferior education, and that's a valid topic around here. If John Webster wrote a blog riddled with spelling and grammar mistakes it might be worth talking about. At the same time, I know some highly educated people with dyslexia and the like who can't type to save their life, and it shows.

Cross posted with Aunt Cloud: It's because English is your second language. Non-native speakers get much more thorough grammar instruction than native speakers.

Isn't using "good" in place of "well" a common American colloquialism? I'm not from the US, so maybe there's some nuance I'm missing here, but that's the impression I get from TV/Hollywood.

As for the random capitalization, that looks like a victim of my phone's autocorrect. If I capitalize a common noun, say because it's part of a title or someone's surname, the phone seems to learn it that way and persists in capitalizing it in future when I want to use it as an ordinary common noun. Sure, proofreading should have caught it, but do people usually proofread their social media posts? I don't, and I'm kind of a stickler for grammar - so much so that I'm kind of appalled at myself for defending John now, considering my first reaction was, "Is that meant to be English?" :lol:

Cross posted with Aunt Cloud: It's because English is your second language. Non-native speakers get much more thorough grammar instruction than native speakers.

Halcionne, you are giving me way too much credit :)

The truth is, as an immigrant, my margin of error is very small. I have a funny accent, my resume lists obscure universities under "education", my name is not traceable to any particular group of reference (long story, but even in my country of origin it was a bit unusual). I have been looked down upon, secretly and not-so-secretly, too many times to count. I can't let my guard down, even for one second. I can not give anyone reason to snicker at the dumb immigrant who can't even speak English good. I'm careful about grammar and spelling not because I'm a snob or elitist or classist or any other -ist, but because it's my ticket to not being automatically seen as a dumb immigrant.

Oh no, do people not appreciate my degree in "how to be a pretentious ass and correct basic grammar"? I'm devastated. :roll:

I think it's reasonable to criticise the SOTDRT education. I cannot understand the parents who educated their kids in that way. I hope the Websters have the sense to realise their limitations and either send their kids to school or have a better alternative than SOTDRT. The 2nd generation of SOTDRT really worries me.

I really don't understand the vehemence of some of the posts here on this subject. I know I want the best for my kids in every aspect of life and education is an important component of that. The schools in the area of the UK I live in are all fairly good, and a decent education isn't really seen as a privilege, so maybe I don't quite get the "privilege" trigger.

I often make mistakes and know I get it wrong sometimes, but I'm not teaching anyone. That is really the point that gets me.

Halcionne, you are giving me way too much credit :)

The truth is, as an immigrant, my margin of error is very small. I have a funny accent, my resume lists obscure universities under "education", my name is not traceable to any particular group of reference (long story, but even in my country of origin it was a bit unusual). I have been looked down upon, secretly and not-so-secretly, too many times to count. I can't let my guard down, even for one second. I can not give anyone reason to snicker at the dumb immigrant who can't even speak English good. I'm careful about grammar and spelling not because I'm a snob or elitist or classist or any other -ist, but because it's my ticket to not being automatically seen as a dumb immigrant.

Thank you for sharing your point of view! I'm sorry people are jerks to you because they don't think you're ______ enough. :(

John Webster has the privilege of not having to worry about putting up with shit from strangers who may think poorly of him because of his bad grammar. Except on FJ. :lol:

Kak, John has privileges he's probably unaware of; the privilege of fitting in and not been made to feel unwelcome everywhere he goes, because he's a white, Christian man in the US. He may have disadvantages in one area or another, too, most people do.

I do know a lot about English grammar, and I notice the mistakes, but they don't bother me, and I don't usually draw conclusions about the poster's education or intellect. What DOES cause me a chuckle, though, is when the posts from the people COMPLAINING about the grammar contain errors. I am tempted to ask the posters where THEY went to school.

Oh no, do people not appreciate my degree in "how to be a pretentious ass and correct basic grammar"? I'm devastated. :roll:

I think it's reasonable to criticise the SOTDRT education. I cannot understand the parents who educated their kids in that way. I hope the Websters have the sense to realise their limitations and either send their kids to school or have a better alternative than SOTDRT. The 2nd generation of SOTDRT really worries me.

I really don't understand the vehemence of some of the posts here on this subject. I know I want the best for my kids in every aspect of life and education is an important component of that. The schools in the area of the UK I live in are all fairly good, and a decent education isn't really seen as a privilege, so maybe I don't quite get the "privilege" trigger.z

I often make mistakes and know I get it wrong sometimes, but I'm not teaching anyone. That is really the point that gets me.

I think it leghumping. There are a lot of superfans around here these days....

These people are promoting a dangerous, hateful lifestyle with the ultimate goal of taking over America with these genius children and you would think they would have trained them to use proper grammar.

I'm obviously not a baby person because to me she is just not a cute baby. :lol: I actually thought she would be cuter. Lots of ugly newborns turn into adorable babies and children once they get a bit older, though, so I don't think it means much if a newborn isn't cute.

She does have a really pretty, delicate profile in this picture:

https://instagram.com/p/1leUoApAmY/?tak ... bster4ever

Yeah, I am obviously not either, 'cause this not a cute baby to me at all.

I do know a lot about English grammar, and I notice the mistakes, but they don't bother me, and I don't usually draw conclusions about the poster's education or intellect. What DOES cause me a chuckle, though, is when the posts from the people COMPLAINING about the grammar contain errors. I am tempted to ask the posters where THEY went to school.

Yeah, I don't get the people that do that, either. I don't often correct anyone else's grammar, but when I do, I'm absolutely paranoid about making sure my post is free of grammatical, spelling, and factual errors.

Wait, did someone criticising John's grammar make an error themselves? I didn't notice any; I must be losing my touch :P

I think it leghumping. There are a lot of superfans around here these days....

Oh god, now i'm a leghumper because I think grammatical elitism is steeped in racism, classism, and ableism? Give me a break. Just because John is extremely privileged doesn't mean that the root of *why* you criticize grammar isn't fucked up.

This post talks specifically about why grammar snobbery has no place in social justice movements, but it should obviously be applied outside of that as well, as we cannot detach ourselves from dynamics of privilege and oppression in everyday life.

everydayfeminism.com/2014/05/grammar-snobbery/

No. You are a leghumper because you praise the Bates quite a bit and don't get the irony that John is being criticized specifically because of his privilege.

Grammar snobbery in discussing fundies on a snark board has nothing to do with social justice. John Webster is ultimately privileged as is Alyssa. Context in application does matter and conflating every issue with something you read on some blog is not exactly high order critical thinking.

Yeah, I am obviously not either, 'cause this not a cute baby to me at all.

I find about 99% of newborns to not be cute, and I'm a serious baby person. My comments for friends' and families' new baby pics always include words like "precious" and "sweet," because all babies are. I didn't even think my own kid was cute as a newborn. They take a little time to lose that wrinkled old man look.

Oh god, now i'm a leghumper because I think grammatical elitism is steeped in racism, classism, and ableism? Give me a break. Just because John is extremely privileged doesn't mean that the root of *why* you criticize grammar isn't fucked up.

This post talks specifically about why grammar snobbery has no place in social justice movements, but it should obviously be applied outside of that as well, as we cannot detach ourselves from dynamics of privilege and oppression in everyday life.

everydayfeminism.com/2014/05/grammar-snobbery/

Well, this is all getting a little weird. Disproportionate response IMO.

My fundie snarking is not a personal attack on anyone here. It has obviously triggered something for you, which was not my intention. I apologise.

No. You are a leghumper because you praise the Bates quite a bit and don't get the irony that John is being criticized specifically because of his privilege.

Grammar snobbery in discussing fundies on a snark board has nothing to do with social justice. John Webster is ultimately privileged as is Alyssa. Context in application does matter and conflating every issue with something you read on some blog is not exactly high order critical thinking.

I praise the Bates quite a bit?? I praise the baby for being cute. I DO NOT praise the Bates, Jesus fuck. I was happy to see John show what seems to be some real affection for his kid, yes, because fundies love to throw their children under the bus as soon as the next one comes along and I'm sure Allie will soon have many more siblings and will not be getting much attention at all.

Wait, did someone criticising John's grammar make an error themselves? I didn't notice any; I must be losing my touch :P

They made several.

They made several.

*looks*

Still not noticing any. Okay, definitely too late at night here :P

This is driving me mad. I usually notice these things!

Archived